Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
What exactly is troubling you? The stodgy controls can't really be improved, nor can it be made less obtuse, but we might be able to help with other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

aas Bandit posted:

I'm pretty sure someone said in the other thread that a password was no longer a thing, but I could be wrong.

The password still exists, still lets you ignore SL and will manage your power level if it is massively different from the summoner.

Orv
May 4, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Why the gently caress do games come out on Tuesday anyways they should come out on Friday goddamn.

Retail dates are an anchor around the neck of sane digital distribution.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mortimer posted:

3 souls dark

so anyone searching for the dark souls 3 thread won't find it

unrelated; I'm about to order a pizza, what are some good dark souls-y pizza toppings

Bacon and jalapeno. Zest and a kick in the dick, just like Souls.

Orv
May 4, 2011
At some point we should probably just be grateful bluecops work at all.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

oh does anyone know how rolling/equip load works this time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhhB1dRPbwk

Specifically the break points are at 70% for fat rolls, everything else is basically a fast roll below that, with lower range.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Aurra posted:

Do enemies track the player as much as they did in 2? The addition of so many tracking attacks really killed my enthusiasm for the PVE experience and I never actually finished it, despite putting hundreds of hours into its predecessors over many playthroughs.

Not as much, but there is still tracking, mostly on enemies larger than humans.

E: Not to the extent of spinning 360s to hit the player though, it's much more like 1 tracking.

Orv
May 4, 2011

panda clue posted:

I expect the first pvp meta to evolve will be whatever hard counters the farron greatsword

You can backstab someone while they're doing the spin animations if you time it right, you can also parry it with significant ease. The meta doesn't need to do poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

I also look forward to the game crashing all the time on PC for anyone who makes the mistake of not choosing the best class, as has been rumored.

It was a pretty limited issue among the fairly large amount of people that got early PC copies, so it shouldn't be everyone if they didn't fix it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

General Morden posted:

is this game playable on kb+m

Technically.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZZZorcerer posted:

Playable, yes. After doing your own configuration.
I wouldn't recommend it though, it's like... playing Star Craft with a Nintendo 64 controller, yes you could do it, but oh god why.

I spent a not okay amount of time with the PS2 version of Red Alert, I still have nightmares.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZZZorcerer posted:

That sounds awful :gonk:

I have no idea why they decided to release a bunch of RTS for consoles, those were darker times

My memory betrayed me, it was even for the PSX, not the 2. :barf:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I've been using a keyboard to play Souls games for so long I do worse with a controller :frog:

I play Batman and Assasins Creed with M+KB so I'm not quite as deviant but still crazy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Walrus posted:

So glad I can finally stop trying to enjoy DS2. The iron keep is the single most bullshit area in the entire game. every single other area has bonfires out the rear end, except for this one, which is huge and long and has a ton of bullshit enemies. also it's configured so it's impossible to just run through to the boss door. the boss is pretty easy but just getting to him is such total loving garbage, only exacerbated by the loving belfry bonfire that means you need to run through the bellfry and often get invaded before you can actually even start retrying the level again. oh dont forget the lava buckets that can trap you without warning meaning you need to restart the level also.

just getting this off my chest before it becomes 100% irrelevant.

Half of this is untrue and the other half is you being bad.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Walrus posted:

no it's bad design sorry. feel free to tell me why I'm wrong though, I don't think anyone has anything better do to do for the next hour

You can run to the boss without taking a hit in both versions. It has three bonfires, more than almost every other area in the game. It's actually remarkably short between each bonfire and the larger volume of enemies is ameliorated by Alonne Knights not being a real threat. Belfy Sol is equally easy to run through. And if you're falling in lava buckets you're an idiot.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Walrus posted:

I've actually tried that route with the rolling down onto the catwalk. as soon as I jump off the ladder I get speared by three dudes pretty much immediately. also he didn't have the two npc phantoms at the gate? look I'm sorry you can't tell me that finally getting to a bonfire, dropping down a foot and a half only to find you can't get back up and you need to run through an invasion zone is good design. its moronic.

Teleport?

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Walrus posted:

wait there IS a bonfire right before the boss? motherFUCKER

At bridge, after Smelter, up ladder before OIK.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

Do any of the big shields have weapon arts related to mashing a big metal plate into people's faces and if yes, where can I get one that does?

Most of the great shields are either plant in the ground and give yourself some sort of defensive stat buff, or slam into peoples face.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Walrus posted:

how long do the 'buff' style weapon arts tend to last?

Around six or seven seconds. Enough for a few swings of a weapon for light weapons, a couple with the bigger things, and enough to block stuff with shields.

Orv
May 4, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Thats very cynical. Change the thread to title to "Dark Souls III"

No.

Orv
May 4, 2011

borf posted:

Does magic/pyro/hexes take a little while to get going in traditional DS fashion this time around? Can't decide if I want to smash smash or burn burn, and I only have half an hour!!

You can access pyromancy very quickly in the grand scheme of things, and it does very well without too much investment. Though pyro spells do require stats now for attunement.

Sorc and Miracles take longer to get going and take a larger investment than you might want to exclusively focus on early on.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's some speculation going around that having certain USB devices plugged in causes performance issues. I assume it's anecdotal, but more and more people are saying it, so who knows.

Orv
May 4, 2011

victrix posted:

Remember when they had that 'rear end hanging out' bug a few days ago?

I wonder if they put in some hasty fix that hosed everything up at bonfires. iirc the glitch happened when people squatted at the bonfire specifically.

It's been happening since reviewers got PC copies weeks ago.

Also more and more people are reporting that unplugging USB headsets or controllers give them noticeable performance increases, so that's great.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unplugged my headset, now getting a relatively smooth 38FPS. :psyduck:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Man, five invasions to get the REO, five laggy uchi phantoms. The more things change, etc.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 12, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Man invading is a lot of fun right now with everyone having 2 or 3 white phantoms with their thumbs up their asses waiting at the top of gay baby tower :11tea:

I've had some luck recently with phantoms and bluecops taking turns, so I basically have to cut my way to the host. I also switch it up to Mound Makers from time to time because you only need to kill somebody as them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

homeless poster posted:

also lol they removed the ds2 qol change of being able to use multiple quantities of stackable items for what reason? oh no see it makes sense to have to manually eat 8 Deprived Souls one at a time in TYOOL 2016

Use Selected

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you play Dark Souls online on wifi I will find you and throw you out the nearest high rise.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SamBishop posted:

You, uh, know this is running on dedicated servers now, yeah? No more P2P, apparently.

It sure doesn't feel like it sometimes.

E: Also I would imagine it's still the same dedicated servers as 2 and BB, which is to say they matchmake on servers and then it's P2P.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 12, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Skeleton King posted:

Just beat an evil oak tree boss. Fucker killed me 20 times, I swear. I ate its soul out of spite. I now have no clue where to go.

In the meantime, the search continues for my beloved winged spear (or just a really good spear). The halberd has been great so far, but I long for my old friend.

I have also noticed that new armor is hard to come by. Any one know of some good finds?

That boss makes a not terrible spear.

Orv
May 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

You can't lose covenant progress this time can you? Ton of fun Sunbroing and then invading.

Nah, covenants all just work now, do whatever you want whenever and turn in your progress when you want.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well that was weird. Bluecop summoned, took forever to load, when I did it was like the mipmap in everything had gone funky and I was blinded by super white textures.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Winkie01 posted:

How do you become unhollowed?

Buy the tower key.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alright, lag is occasionally bad but having the entire enemy party not animate at all is a special kind of hell.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

Question about the second boss in the game:

So I was co-oping with someone else and we fought Dancer of the Boreal Valley, which horribly murdered me. Then playing on my own when I got there I said "gently caress that" and turned the other way and killed some other dude Of The Boreal Valley. That ended in a dead-end, so I turned around and went back to the Dancer who... wasn't there, just some old lady who gave me a banner that took me further into the game. What gives? Do you only have to kill one or the other? Did I lock myself out of a fight?

The one that killed you is a much, much later boss, that you can skip to immediately by killing the lady who gave you the banners.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:stare: You can parry the second phase of Farron when it does the long charge.

Orv
May 4, 2011
How the gently caress does this animation bug get to launch, much less three patches in.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Crooked Warden posted:

It's a real loving bummer. Did anyone confirm that upgrading your weapons affects matchmaking?

Yeah, the tiers are 1-3,4-6,7-9 and 10.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It is beating Abyss Watchers that prematurely ends that quest line, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Funkmaster General posted:

Where's the current high-level PVP hotspot? I've found some bites for purple signs at Great Belfry, but no successful Invasions or bluecops yet

I don't know if it's going to shake out this way on PC but it basically all happened in duels in the little ampitheatre after Pontiff or in invasions just after that area on PS4 JPN.