Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

axeil posted:

Found a firekeeper's soul. No idea what it does.

More importantly I got the "Hello" carving. I'm criminally underleveled since I started as deprived :shepface: and blew 20k souls on the key you need to get to the crows but drat it it's worth it.

Also got a uchigatana for killing that dude over to the left of the firelink approach. Guess I'm going dex this game!

I know where you are so I got a question for that spot.

Did you go up the tower by any chance and cross the bridge? I can't get the drat item on the left where you have to platforming Dark Souls Bullshit. I keep landing and then slipping off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Blind Rasputin posted:

Ok. I'm totally new to this series and so far having fun but getting frustrated. It takes forever and a hundred deaths to traverse a level. I'm also not understanding the scarcity of bonfires relative to my number of estus flasks. I'm getting better at fighting smart but Jesus poo poo this is hard.

I'm at the first main level high wall and I've found and beaten most of the secondary guys. I've found a lot of loot and talked to the thief and Emma. But the red caped knights loving ruin me no matter what. How do I fight things like that?

How in hell am I supposed to fight the Vordt of the Boreal valley too? It one hits me immediately and there's no room to dodge at all.

Like, what am I supposed to be doing so this is fun. And why isn't there a bonfire near the main Vordt fight? Every time I die I have to walk my rear end back there through a bunch of fights?

I won't do the usual and say get good. Explore more and what not, this game has plentiful shortcuts and while there isn't a bonfire to the boss there is definitely shortcuts that would make your trip less painful. Also there is room to dodge. Roll forward, don't roll backwards.

There is no "easy" way to beat enemies. Every enemy has a weakpoint. Gotta memorize how the attack and the strike back.

Those knights I just fish for backstabs or break their guard.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Obsurveyor posted:

How do you tell what the status symbols below the Stamina bar mean? I couldn't figure out a way to get explanation mode on for the main HUD.

Most rings tell you what effect they are doing or if it's a armor piece or something, it does say something like this activates after health etc.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lucifa posted:

Stupid question: with Transposition do you get one of the items or can you get both?

One. Basically you have to NG+ if you wanted to get the other one.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

double nine posted:

I need help. In firelink, passed the 20000 souls key door, there is a bridge before an elevator. Looking down the side you can see this shiny. How the hell do you get there?

I got the item on the other side no problem but this one is annoying. Every jump I try to make I end up sliding off and plunging to my death.

Everyone said jump, I just hugged as much as I can to the left on that bridge and rolled off.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Good thing I was just chilling in the shrine for a bit.

And my god, I love this game. The areas are so huge. I"m surprised at some who beat it. What? Do you just run past enemies because some areas are taking me quite a while (I'm not complaining though) to get through. But then again I"m going in a leisurely pace, walking around so I don't get ganked haha.

Goddamn some of this areas feel like they are just like 3 or 4 hub worlds of DS2. Jesus. (as in HUGE)

Spoiler for the area I was running/walking around.

Good god I didn't think that the Catacombs would have another huge area under. I broke the bridge and a message said huh it's a ladder. Lo and Behold, and it's like wait whaaaaaat. And then I fought some fire crabs, fell down a hole and this basically Lost Izalith. All those piles of Demons and whatnot. It's so great. Also got my Black Knight Sword! that was so drat cool.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 14, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Macintosh HD posted:

Question regarding secrets, a specific covenant, and this early game boss: tree balls

Background info: I have been trying to get into the cage on the back of the Hollow Manservant in the Undead Settlement so he can take me to the Mound Maker guy. My stealthy attempts to get in that cage seem to make him notice me and attack. I heard that you can't do this if you already killed Tree Balls (since the tree falling down a level would kill the Mound Maker dude). I previously fought Tree Balls and caused him to fall down a level but then I died. The boss is still alive for me to fight if I traverse the fog.

The actual question: Because I previously attempted the boss fight, am I locked out of getting in that cage? Has anyone been able to get in there after partially fighting the tree? "Just try it, human being" isn't good because I have tried and I can't figure out if it's now impossible to be stealthy enough.

I think aggroing that boss pretty much screws you out.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Macintosh HD posted:

drat. I was hoping that since the boss arena resets itself I might still be okay. Oh well.

If it helps you can join that covenant later so you aren't super screwed just.. uh dont' do what I did or you will really screw yourself out.

Basically, if you still wanna join it's later down the game. But whatever you do, DO not join the Rosaria's Fingers Conveant otherwise the person you are suppose to go with, leaves because she hates that covenant.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 14, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Macintosh HD posted:

Can you respec without joining it?

Unforunately no.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I dunno why because their marking designs are different but Fallen Knight's armor reminds of the Drakeblood armor from DS2 SOTFS.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

Is it wrong that I think the Pontiff's anime as hell second form is actually easier than the first? :v:

Nah

I think it kinda helps because the shadow is basically going hey this is what Pontiff is gonna do, so it's like well I dodge the shadow's attack so Pontiff is gonna do it as well

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah, in the Undead Settlement behind a house there's one of those cages filled with arms and legs things that you can talk to, can you do anything with that or is it just there to spout nonsense?

Did you kill Treenuts guy? If so yeah can't do anything for a while.

If you didn't kill or go to him, you go a bit further down and there's a dude with a cage spawn and you are suppose to get transported to the moundmaker covenant

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Anyone know that the trigger is to get Siegward to show up in the well? I messed up his questline on my first character and wanted to make sure I got his armor on the second, but I can't get him to show up. Do I need to meet Patches first?

Basically open all the goddamn big blue doors.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Man some poo poo sure went down in Irithyll I am not exactly sure what it was yet though

You'll end up going :stare: once you realized the implications of what happen there.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

Why were those guys even there? The knights in the lake made sense because they are black knights and are still trying to fight off the demons but those guys popping up seemed random as hell.

Considering where they are located, it makes sense.

You do realize Irithyll is part of Anor Londo right? Black Knights are basically Gwyn's soliders, so makes sense they are still around in his hometown.

edit: Fog Door at Firelink is basically the game "loading". It stays like that until you get up to it and then it loads up the area. Yeah it's weird.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

Can you even break chests in this game though? I haven't seen a metal one so I'm wondering if there's any reason not to bash every chest you see.

Nah these chests are basically like Dark Souls 1, so they can't break.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

codo27 posted:

I like how these games have ruined me such that I think all advice is really a malicious setup

I just looked up the wiki and it said they can break?

Whhhhhhhhat. Well then again I don't wack chests. I know what to look for when I see a mimic.

So yeah my bad, I don't mean to make anyone break chests if they did put that back in.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Daynab posted:

It says the lever wont budge, do I have to get to it from below?

For that one I"m thinking of? Yeah.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Me in Irithyll right now

wow this place is starting to look a lot like Anor Lond.....wwwooaaaaahhhhhhhh!

I know right? it's so great. I was fanboying like hell when it happened..

I was like oh are you serious.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Decided to buy this. What's the best class for a noob? I was thinking Knight or Warrior. I like melee and having some armor and big weapons.

Knight or Warrior are you best choice then. Warrior as a bit more Hp than Knight.

Though yeah Knight starts with 13 STR and 12 Dex so you can at least go pick which you wanna focus on or spilt them a bit like I did. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ok I"m taking a break because goddamn that area was just brutal.

Spoilers of course.

Manage to find that dragon area and hooooly poo poo jesus is it brutal. Those goddamn snake are a pain in the rear end with the schotel or whatever it's called. I killed the boss (it was more of a puzzle fight but it was fun) and then next area is just some rear end in a top hat who keeps summoning drakeblood knights who hit really drat hard. After all that I find those crystal lizards big bros (not the big titan) who spew out fire. And another goddamn dragon who flies and trys to torch my rear end. I make it all the way through only to find another rear end in a top hat summoner and I lose to a naked guy with a rapier and a crown. Haha.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Caidin posted:

Man, Ricard been going through some weird times, don't hate him for letting it all hang out.

If that is him, I will gladly enjoy that weapon drop.

Well mostly because

When i went to the graveyard area aka the champion one where the game is like hey someone tried to link the fire before DUN DUN DUN, I fought a dark spirit (NPC) who was using the rapier and I'm like yes RICARD'S rapier, she's gonna drop it.. Ah drat it she didn't drop it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

enojy posted:

Just a yes or no, please -- is it possible to mitigate the jailers' proximity effect on your health bar in Irithyll Dungeon? I really think I love this zone and wanna check all of it out, but these things are like twice as bad as the jailers from Latria.

Nope.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Mazerunner posted:

Jolly cooperation! (abyss watchers)
http://gfycat.com/GiddyDetailedIchthyosaurs

Who can tell me what went wrong here :v:
http://gfycat.com/ConfusedFlamboyantHammerkop

The bloodstain over wrote the climb down ladder prompt so you probably went ah poo poo when it was the bloodstain that took priority.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You aren't the only one, dude is whupping my rear end. I get phase one down no problem but his delays throw me off and I eat the punishment when I roll too early.

I'm leaving that boss after I kill the second to last boss.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
After 42 hours, I beat the final boss. This was a really good game. I think Fromsoft wrapped up the series best they can. Going out with a bang.

Now to go back and beat that other boss was handing me my rear end :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Does anyone know if you can kill Yuria of Londor and still get the Usurpation of Fire ending?

No, you kill her, and that quest is pretty much prematurely finished.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

codo27 posted:

Wait a minute. I'm at the final boss now thinking I'd clued up as much as someone reasonably can in a first playthrough, but I never did meet this guy who "gives you levels"
OR FIGURE OUT HOW TO OPEN THAT loving DOOR IN SULYVAHNS BONFIRE ROOM

For your first one.

After beating Vordt, after the cutscene you head all the way to the left with all those piles of dead bodies and then there is gonna be a dude you can talk to and he is basically there to put you on the path for the alternate ending. Of course he might be ad, he's dead in mines because I never used him.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Help Im Alive posted:

Rosaria covenant question - Do you still get the covenant rewards for giving pale tongues after she's been killed?

No, but you can get her back.

If you picked up the Black Eye Orb, you will use it like later on in the game and take out the invader who took her soul, and thne you bring back her soul to her dead body to restore her back.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

codo27 posted:

Do you mean in the area I'm standing in here?

Cause theres no one there, there wasn't the first time I went there and I'm also bugged that I still haven't found out how you get over to the area I'm looking at there.

That would be it,

but dude is dead, you progressed really far into the game didn't you.

Also that other side is up a ladder that goes way up in the Poison Swamp.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

BlackFrost posted:

Is there a way to get those giant rear end crabs to like, NOT just burrow and completely heal themselves? Because :argh:

Stun them in the nuts.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CJacobs posted:

Huh, I didn't put two and two together about the Drang items scattered around until just now, when I had a brain fart: Drang is short for Drangleic.

Another thing you can tell.

This set you could farm for in the Drangleic castle in SOTFS as well. :v:, it was a bitch to get with all those horse knights though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That's just before you either slaughter the purple summon or they slaughter you. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Oxxidation posted:

Is the Dark Sword worth grinding out? I'm hankering for a new weapon.

Eh it's pretty decent. I got lucky and had that as my first drop when I encountered one. I used it til end game and used a Heavy Gem to scale the strength to A at +10.

I killed most enemies in two or three hits.

Except...

Those huge snake jerks in the dragon area. They just suck.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

voltcatfish posted:

Catacombs...I can't handle this

Don't give up skeleton!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jose posted:

Is there more than 1 person to trade boss souls with? I want vordt's great hammer but not if there might be something else i can use the soul for thats better for a pure strength build

Nope, just that dude on the throne this time.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Lot of the armors I got are heavy even with the two rings I equip. I probably need to respec my character. I mean I"m done but there are some fashion souls I would like to do for NG+1.

edit: I haven't tried it but considering getting frosbite not only takes your HP (I think? I could be wrong) and you get slow down for quite a bit I think it would probably would be worth the investment for PVP.

I could be wrong though.

I haven't seen many invaders use that weapon.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's not really the "true ending" so people need to stop worrying so much. It's an ending with debateable merits and consequences just like all the others.

I think it's mostly because it feels like a better ending than the others?

Like the first ending was like oh yeah, figures this is what obviously would happen.

I guess I feel people feel like saying it because "maybe" this is the last game, maybe get an ending that would give sort of a satisfying conclusion to the triology? Well not conclusion but at least like hey this actually feels sorta maybe not really an ending.

Better than SOTFS ending at least.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Space Hamlet posted:

For my money, if I were to pick an ending to call the "true ending," the "flames fade" ending feels the most conclusive to the trilogy - it's the only one that wasn't already kinda present in the original game, and the only one that seems to suggest an end to the cycle.

Definitely agree with that one.

Also if I may.
I like how if you attack the fire keeper before the screen fades, it's basically a Demon Souls bad ending. Complete with putting your foot on the fire keeper's head. I heard that you cant' level up anymore (until you go to NG plus that is) if you do that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Boomstick Quaid posted:

What if you do the good quest line for Irina and she becomes a firekeeper? I bet you can still level through her

I did not do that.

I ended up accidentally doing that bad quest line for her. Haha.