Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
http://youtu.be/-9EYThhbRww

Well that hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HnK416 posted:

Potentially unpopular opinion time, but so far I feel confident in saying that Dark Souls 3 is better than 1. Core gameplay has taken the best parts of DS, DkS, and DkS2 and put them all together, enemy design is nicely varied, as are the locations, and the level design is honestly outdoing Dark Souls in a lot of places. DkS had fantastic level design, don't get me wrong, but 3 has that same sprawling, interconnected feel that 1 has with the level of sheer design quality that DS and Bloodborne had.

The only area that's felt kind of off has been Smouldering Lake and considering what it's supposed to be it makes a lot of sense.

I suppose the only area 3 is solidly losing to 1 in is upgrading, in both availability of materials and ability to upgrade your armor. FromSoft, why do you continue to think this is a good idea? :argh:

There's way more upgrade mats than in DS1 and DS2 though. Like, I heavily upgraded six or seven weapons and still finished the game with like 50 regular and large titanites, without ever buying or farming them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

limited posted:

The worst are called Deep Accursed and I've never been truly disturbed by a Dark Souls enemy until I saw these bastards moving.

I've never truly freaked out about a DS enemy before, but there's something about the animation and combination of features. :gonk:

Yeah these fuckers are horrendous. Like someone heard the phrase "wolf spider" for the first time and got way too into it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

So Oceiros is just delusional right? At first he is making a cradling motion with his arm and talking to his kid, but as you damage him he starts to flip out and realize that Revolver Ocelotte (Revolver Ocelotte) is not actually present. When he goes full quadruped he has obviously realized that there was nobody there to begin with.

...so what happened to Ocelotte? Did the consumed king do a little extra consuming on the side or what? The whole family situation seems a bit whack, the younger prince is the one who is supposed to take the throne despite being a sickly wimp while his brother was a badass knight, the youngest prince of all is mysteriously absent, the dad turned into a goof rear end trogdor man and the mom straight up vanished so hard the game even says "yeah nobody has any idea where she is lol"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

homeless poster posted:

this is based on nothing but item lore and my own generous speculation / interpretation of things in game:

oceiros was the king of lothric. his world and aldrich's world are connected enough that they are at least aware of each other to some degree (maybe not friends, but irithyll and lothic have basic trade, etc). when aldrich gets tired of eating actual people he leaves his deacons at the chapel of the deep and he and pontiff s figure out a way to eat a god by summoning & anchoring anor londo to a portion of the pontiff's chapel in irithyll. oceiros is either aware of this, or helps to some degree, because he clearly finds out about seath's crystal sorcery research, which means he either has to visit anor londo himself after it's summoned, or he has to have trade with irithyll, but somehow he has to know about it). the fact that gwendolyn is the god that gets trapped & eaten by aldrich and that anor londo is dark leads me to believe that in the canon ending for DS1 the chosen undead does break the illusion for gwynevere, and so at that point gwendolyn is the only god left in the city. anyway, oceiros either plunders seath's library or has it plundered, and gets it all moved to the grand archives back in lothric, where he goes mad trying to re-create dragons and the moonlight blade. at the same time, his wife (who is never name outright and ultimately disappears) gives birth to the twin princes that you fight, and a third son ocelotte that's also MIA.

i am completely speculating that oceiros' "wife" was priscilla from the painted world - obviously the painted world gets busted up and the monastery guardians get dropped down the belltower shaft. i am also completely speculating that the knight captain of the darkmoon blades is her daughter, also from oceiros, who got put there in hiding for her own safety before priscilla got disappeared. both of these last points are speculation though, and i haven't seen anything in the game to back this up.

As someone else pointed out the queen of Lothric was Gwynevere if anyone from the prior games, the divine blessing describes her as being revered as a goddess of fertility and bounty which is verbatim how the DS1 Divine Blessing refers to Gwynevere. Lady has gotten really good at running away before the poo poo hits the fan. I'm just curious where the hell was left for her to run to, I guess there's the manor in Irithyll but she definitely doesn't seem to actually be there..

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

irythyll owns

the catacombs are terrible though and they come after a p lovely swamp area :/

Yeah the catacombs are pretty weak, and to add insult to injury the demon ruins are pretty much the same poo poo but with more roots, lava, and loving ghrues everywhere. It's a pity they invited comparison to one of the most fun zones in DaS, all the more so because DaS2 was really lacking in a good skeleton zone. There's some good moments in Carthus (the collapsing bridge and path to demon ruins are fun, the first time you encounter Wolnir is an amazing aw poo poo moment that left me really disappointed when you find out that instead of being dropped into Tomb of Giants 2.0 you just need to beat up a couple of bracelets), but most of it feels empty and ugly. I don't know how to feel about the area design in this game, for every gigantic awesome zone like Irithyll or the Cathedral there's perfunctory boss-only zones like AL or the Capital, and a lot of the time the areas that connect these big, set-piece levels are suffering from DaS2-style tunnel vision where the zone is basically designed as a hallway to the next zone with some poo poo hanging off the side of it. Consider me unspooked.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I've been trying sorcery out and the people saying it's terrible until you hit 50 INT are expecting wayyyyyy too much if they think that is true. Obviously there's poo poo spells, darts are a complete waste of time, all the farron spells are quite wimpy, crystal hail is awful, pestilential mercury is completely pointless. It also takes a bizarrely long time just to get your basic soulmass, you're well over 2/3 of the way through the game by the time you find it which is quite incongruous with its low requirement. But your basic soul arrows/spears are better than in DS2 if not quite as good as in DeS/DS, buffs are fine, Soul Greatsword still rips rear end, and dark sorceries are excellent. If you want to get powerful sorceries up and running you definitely do have to skimp on health for the first third of the game, but that's the whole point of playing a wizard, you're trading your ability to go toe-to-toe with monsters for the ability to nuke them before they wake up. The only way in which it's seriously outclassed by pyro is that pyro's big direct damage spells are available much earlier.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like the update is live/servers are down

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

MokBa posted:

Is summoning so hosed for Nameless King because everyone needs help there? It was taking me 5+ minutes to get past "Unable to Summon Phantom" last week. It was worse than trying to summon on release night.

Everyone needs help there so every sign gets snapped up with 0.00001 seconds of going down, but at the same time nobody wants to put down their sign because it's a really long fight and there's a 90% chance the host is gonna eat poo poo to the first combo and waste your time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Didn't DS1 have the same Darkmoon problem on release? Like the online was maaaaybe busted, and the offline way was to farm them from the crowladies in painted at an absurdly low drop rate?

Darkmoon wasn't broken any more than any other form of multiplayer in DaS, but the conditions for darkmooning to actually occur were so rare (what kind of darkwraith hangs around in human form in Dark AL/any zone where he hasn't killed the boss, instead of actually, you know, invading?) that nobody ever got darkmooned outside of PvP hotspots (Kiln and later Oolacile).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Genocyber posted:

This is from a while ago, but that's probably because Lothric (and Lorian) are likely descendants of Gwynevere.

Lothric is a very Gwyndolin-esque figure overall, he's the wimp kid who wound up inheriting his dad's god-kingdom but just kind of hides inside it doing nothing. Also a sorcerer with white anime hair. Also voiced by the same actor.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Now you made me sad for busting his balls. :( I love Nito, he's the best at skeletons.

Say, does anyone have any ~high res~ images of Rosaria? Everyone I've heard talk about her seems to think that she's a slug, but isn't she just a regular (huge) woman cradling a slugman? Or are my eyes not working?

No, you are correct. She has feet, albeit hard to see from some angles, and thus isn't a slug. She is however reclining on a mound of slug flesh which is p. nasty

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Not only does it stick around after he's dead, but it seems to reanimate at least a little bit. All the slimes before Aldrich's chamber look like mini-Aldrichs.

I was trying to see where he got in. It seems to be around the giant, who must have been already dead or Aldrich would have eaten him (or maybe just the aroma of the divine was simply too intoxicating and he did not want an appetizer). Unfortunately the slime doesn't seem to trail off down the side of the cathedral or anything, so it's hard to tell if he climbed up or what. It would have been really cool if they had made it so you followed his slime trail through the entire level instead of just those couple of rooms immediately around his dinner table.

The Lothric butterflies are explicitly called "pilgrim butterflies", and if you look at the pilgrims' shells there are branches coming out of them. They don't come from the tree hollows, unless tree hollows are some sort of transitory stage between pilgrim and butterfly, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

This does not rule out a connection with dragons though. There is a pilgrim on the bridge across from the stray demon that is bronze-colored, and a little ways behind it is an identically-colored dragon.

The pilgrims wear the shells to keep the branches under control. It's like a chrysalis. When they get to Lothric they remove the shells and the branches begin to overtake them, resulting in the intermediate form of tree dudes hanging around Lothric before they finally become a pretty butterfly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Boulder Heave is good because it reminds me of the basic earth magic spell in Kings Field. None of this fancy arcane occult bull poo poo, just throw a motherfucking rock at it.

Also the absence of both Shrug and Well! What Is It! are crimes against humanity

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Did that ever work?

I've seen vagrants aplenty but gravelording remains this elusive "it's totally in the game!" thing.

It worked, but if you weren't in NG+ the phantoms would not appear. You could still invade the Gravelord servant, but there wasn't any reason to.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

Really makes me think there was supposed to be a dragon covenant with the stones as rewards, and that altar at the end as the join/turn-in point but they ran out of time and scrapped it.

This is probably true, there's only 8 covenants in the game vs 9 in both of the previous two.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

As they say,
"The cornered rat will lick the balls of a cat."
You're headed for the brink, aren't you?
Well, you won't drag me down.
En guarde, you crusty ash bastard!

lol.

Games > Dark Souls 3: En guarde, you crusty ash bastard

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CANDELABRA INTO THE COVENANT ITEM SLOT. IT’S FAITHFUL OF ALDRICH AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ALDRICH. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME UNKINDLED BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP WEAPON ART. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ATE LOTHRICS MOST DANGEROUS DEITY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO HOLLOWS IN MY CLEANSING CHAPEL AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE HOLLOWS IN CLEANSING CHAPEL CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE TELLS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY ANOR LONDO LESS LONELY BY FASTROLLING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING RECOVERY FRAMES EVERY MORNing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I had been spoiled that Yhorm was a gimmick boss, but the opening cinematic gives such a good impression of Yhorm's size that I was kind of hoping for a fight where you have to ascend a couple floors to get to his head so you could stick your poo poo in his face hole or something. The series hasn't really had a fight like that since Adjudicator (and that was kind of the opposite), as long as they were throwing down Demon's Souls references I'd have liked that one. Really anything that added more detail to the Profaned Capital would have been good, it feels very rushed and underdeveloped as an area, almost DS2-esque.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

VodeAndreas posted:

I just wandered around emberred in both the water and poison parts of the Road of Sacrifices while embered collecting every item and didn't get a single Wolf of Farron invading me... Is the covenant completely busted?

NG+, SL110, no bosses in the area killed (either Sage or Abyss)

Not many people will be Farron invading at that kind of SL

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HaB posted:

Do people consider the Champ hard? I figured he was basically the first Grundyr fight with some extra moves designed to punish what you thought you learned the first time. Only took me two tries.

Nameless King is over 20 tries and still counting.

Yeah this is basically my question too, I beat him on the first try. The rhythm of the fight is very similar to a lot of other Souls bosses of the "big fast knight" type, dodge as late as you can, only heal or attack when you certainly have an opening, and never run out of stamina. If you can beat Allant, Artorias, Alonne, Fume, etc. then you can beat Gundyr. Most lethal bosses for me were Dancer, Wolnir, Oceiros, and Storm/Nameless King. Wolnir was just me being dumb and tunnel visioned on the bracelets so I didn't see the death fog until I was dead, Oceiros' problem was that loving charge attack. Covers like 75% of the arena with gigantic hit box that takes a week to go away, no thanks.

Nameless King himself isn't that hard, he's very similar to Gundyr in that you really need to not lose your cool and pick your openings carefully, what fucks people (i.e. me) up is that they've already wasted half their estus on the Storm King and aren't prepared to recover from a mistake.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Idea: a Twin Eye Orb that you can use to be matched with another invader to jointly invade the world of a host with two or more phantoms summoned.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

New Concept Hole posted:

Obviously Poise has diminishing returns because you only need one.

Also for all we know hyperarmor just looks at whether or not you're wearing armor since it seems to behave no differently with just 1 poise.

It isn't this. One of the videos shows the masters set has no apparent hyper armor. At this point I'm not convinced that this system is any different from that in Dark Souls 2.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

https://youtu.be/awlfn3SU0zo

:dogout:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm curious about whether the city/castle of Lothric was connected to the Undead Settlement before the whole "convergence" thing happened. Doesn't Emma mention something about the High Wall "appearing?" It seems like Lothric might have been separate from the entire rest of the game world at one time or another. Or maybe she just means when the city rose above the settlement and the Road of Sacrifices.

What's interesting about this is that there are ghru in Smouldering Lake. That suggests to me that Farron Keep was in some way linked to it already, either through the Catacombs as it is now, or some other way. But it seems unlikely that Farron Keep would be linked to the catacombs of an entirely different kingdom, unless Carthus had already fallen by the time Farron came about.

Farron wasn't like a big kingdom, it was just a castle/wall sitting in the woods. Also it makes some sense that it's connected to Carthus since the Undead Legion's whole deal was keeping an eye on the abyss, which Wolnir fell into. I do think it's implicit that Carthus fell a long time ago because everybody there is skeletons, and Farron/the Legion is pretty much in the terminal stage of collapse by the time the player walks in anyway.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It continues to amaze me how late you get Soul Mass in this game. In every previous game (I think, can't remember exactly how you get it in DeS) you can get it well before you're halfway through the game. In this one you have to be like 75% done. It's just such a weird choice, it is a pretty fundamental spell and does the scaling with INT thing in an actually interesting way but you can't get it till you're like four bosses from the end of the game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Shannow posted:

What amazes me is how loving useless it is.

Yeah, because it's an early/midgame spell that you can't get till near endgame in a game where sorcery is already weak. It's like they ported it straight over from the first two games but totally forgot to put it somewhere that would actually make sense.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

hard counter posted:

I got the Profaned Chaos.

How can it get any more desecrated? Are there infinity dragon butts now.

Favorite was Blightgarden. Would be a nice spin on their running ugly poison bog area to make it a beautiful, stunning posion bog area.

This would be cool, like Darkroot Garden but all the plants are dripping toxic poo poo. And the glowing plants that look like items throw dung pies at you when you get close.

e: The Untended Smouldering Valley of Mensis :wink:

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 13, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

What the hell is the point of the lever across from the second giant in the Cathedral of the Deep? The gate/bridge thing it raises doesn't seem to be accessible from either direction.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cybershell posted:

I died once because I was so surprised by all the clones in the second phase. Of course once you realize that you can easily identify the real Sage by looking for the purple one and the fact the clones die in one hit it's not so bad, it just caught me off guard the first time.

The clones actually do decent damage so if you find yourself in an exposed position when they spawn, it's possible to get combined-fired down pretty quickly.

Today I discovered that if you leave the archdeacon's tall escort dudes alive for long enough after they spawn in the Deacons fight, they'll fill the whole room with curse fog and you're hosed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Profaned Flame is obviously linked to the Abyss/Dark, Eleonora's description suggests the flame is is related to Alsanna, the hand-headed ogres' hand-heads look like they come straight off of Manus. But there is already such a thing as Dark flames in these games - Black Fire Orb, Dark Flame, etc - and they don't really resemble the Profaned Flame/Flame of Sin at all. It just looks kind of like a normal rear end flame.

Yhorm can't have succeed in putting the Profaned Flame to rest, not just because it's still there but also because the Profaned Capital didn't burn down until Yhorm linked the fire, according to the description of Profaned Flame (the pyromancy), and because Sulyvahn went there and found it at some point.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Gutter looks like the designer was just slapping the level together with placeholder textures while he got the geometry worked out and then he went out for a smoke and they accidentally shipped the game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

How viable are magic-oriented builds in this game? I'm planning on playing this after I finish DS2 and I've heard that magic isn't as good as previous games, is this true?

Pyromancy is quite viable as a damage dealer and has some nice support spells too. Sorcery has a couple very good support spells but the damage spells have an absolutely bizarre power curve, they're frustratingly weak for about 90% of the game and take a huge stat investment to improve, but by the very end are not much worse than full-INT builds in DS1. Miracles are a bit poo poo overall, but can do okay damage if you get right up in enemies' faces to cast.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

There isn't an estus ring+2, and +whatever rings aren't located in the same places as their basic versions.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

One thing I will say I dislike about this game is that it's really hard to backstep in combat. It feels like you have to wait a solid second after you stop moving for it to recognize your input as a backstep -- otherwise it either parses it as a roll or nothing at all. I don't recall any previous game in the series having this problem to this extent.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Frog Act posted:

Can I post about DS1 in this thread? I'm playing the series for the first time and I screwed up and killed Andre of Astora one night when I got really high and accidentally hit the trigger on my controller when I was done buying stuff.

Here is my current equipment: http://i.imgur.com/rKkdAEU.jpg http://i.imgur.com/fy3vJ0K.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Zidg79j.jpg

Here are the items I've ascended past +5 already: http://i.imgur.com/cyguABs.jpg

And here are my current stats: http://i.imgur.com/jrSlYk0.jpg

Currently at Ornstein and Smough as a level 68 Knight, medium roll, no spells, and I really don't wanna start over. I'll probably just buy DSII if I'm in an unfixable situation.

You can totally do it, but you will be a little limited in what weapons you can expect to get anywhere with. Upgrade the broadsword to +10 and lightning ascend it with the Giant Blacksmith, and you can definitely win the game with it as long as you keep upgrading it. You can also upgrade +5 to a fire/chaos weapon with the catacombs blacksmith, though you'll need to retrieve the appropriate embers from Demon Ruins first. The SKSS is definitely good enough to beat the game with too.

E: You might also be able to grab a pyro flame and start using that if you want, it doesn't require any stats besides a bit of attunement and can do absolutely crazy damage.

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 27, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Even by Soulsborne standards the quests in this game are obtuse and easy to fail.

They are, but not way more so than Solaire's quest for example. To save Solaire, you have to find a covenant that has nothing to do with him which is hidden behind an invisible wall in an area you're likely to pass through without a second thought, join the covenant, spend a while wasting a precious resource on it to rank it up, figure out that this opens a shortcut on the whole other side of the area (again there's nothing whatsoever pointing you to do this), open the shortcut, and kill a bug, all without beating a specific boss on the other side of the area again or he'll freak the gently caress out and you have to kill him. It's become well known that you have to do all that weird stuff to save him, so nobody thinks about it anymore, but it's ridiculously obscure and I can't possibly imagine you were supposed to be able to figure it out without failing the quest at least once. If you aren't regularly returning to Altar of Sunlight you're probably never even going to get the idea that Solaire might go to Izalith until you see him there attacking you with a bug on his head.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Outrider knights work the same way as blood starved beasts from Bloodborne. They're mostly low to the ground and hard to read but like to rear up and/or charge forward when they attack, so pick an arm, dodge under it when it comes towards you, and hit them in the side while they flail around behind you. Don't bother blocking them, it builds frostbite and they do a shitton of stamina damage anyway.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

mortons stork posted:

Whoa wait a minute this flew completely over my head. Mind elaborating a little?

Also, with all the great use of choirs in the soundtrack, has anyone figured if they're resorting to the usual fake rythmic gibberish or is it in a real language? Just curiosity.

To get to Archdragon Peak, your character sits down in a meditation posture, his head sinks, fade to black, suddenly he's at Archdragon Peak. No giant crow or public transit demons to carry him there or anything, just straight up fade to black and he's there. It seems pretty clear that Archdragon Peak, like Firelink/Cemetery, is some kind of pocket dimension/dream and you're not literally going there, whatever that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Just emulate them. KF2 at least should appeal to pretty much anyone who liked the dungeon crawling aspect of Dark Souls 1. It isn't a hard game once you get past the stage of being a 50 HP wimp with a knife and no pants, it doesn't have gigantic swathes of running around empty fields like KF3, and while slow it's nowhere near as plodding as Ancient City.