Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't think they're more dangerous but they are super loving annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

You've convinced me friend. Now I need to figure out when to start pumping luck.

You could kill Anri for their sword right when you meet them outside the Crucifixion Woods and have an amazing Luck-scaling weapon pretty early. Not a super easy kill and obviously involves killing a nice NPC but it's an option.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

net cafe scandal posted:

Show of hands.. how many of you actually thinkt his is true.

I died to almost none of the bosses. Dogs kept wrecking me along with the jerks in the untended graves, and ratswarms killed me until I was able to one-shot them because at least one was able to get a bite in.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ropa posted:

I don't think it is.

trading should be a skill. An Estoc shouldn't be able to trade with a Claymore, but right now it does because the Estoc has the fastest R1 release so when going into an even trade, it hits first, staggering your adversary and meaning there's no trade at all.

With poise, Claymore user eats the Estoc hit but hits harder, and even if Estoc user goes full Havels and gets poise of his own to survive a Claymore hit, weapons in this game are balanced on stamina usage/damage, they all have a very similar DPS regardless of build so the Estoc user wouldn't be looking to trade because heavy weapons use the stamina bar quicker even if they attack muuuuch slower.

I'm a straight sword scrub in PvP and I've never once interrupted the swing of GS. Maybe it's latency but I always trade with somebody if they're swinging, regardless of weapon type.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

I'm a straight sword scrub in PvP and I've never once interrupted the swing of GS. Maybe it's latency but I always trade with somebody if theyre swinging, regardless of weapon type.

It's latency yes, or you being too slow.

Why do you trade then? You're almost always taking more damage from a single R1 from any weapon if you're using a short sword. Unless you go into a R1 spam wars and then you win because your second hit gets in first most of the time? Is that what you do?

ropa fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 27, 2016

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Babe Magnet posted:

the best starting class is deprived

SL1, 10 in every stat, when you get to firelink you have enough souls after gundyr to buy the full chain set for some armor, the club is actually pretty good

It depends on what you want to do with your build. E.g. If you're planning on going melee only pick a class which starts with sub-10 bases in the magic stats. You can get an extra 2 or 3 relevant points over deprived.

Really only matters for min-maxing low level characters.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What's the difference between the Rapier and Estoc in regards to PvP?

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

ropa posted:

Roll recovery is probably a state of its own and they just forgot to remove poise from that particular instance.

Watch the video again. Im by no means defending the system, but it is 100% intended.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What's the difference between the Rapier and Estoc in regards to PvP?

Estoc has more range

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Wagrid posted:

I'm watching someone play Demon's Souls and holy poo poo, Firelink really is the Nexus isn't it? The layout of the stairs is exactly the same. Its been a while since I played DeS, so I didn't pick up on it until now.

EDIT: Holy loving poo poo I just found out the Pantheon was a thing.

Are you talking about this? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Pantheon/DarkSouls

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

one is for dingdongs, the other is for wienies

god I miss the tvtropes thread

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
My DS3 evening:

Spend 5 minutes to kill the dragon, get oneshot by Nameless King.

Unable to summon Phantom...

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I died to almost none of the bosses. Dogs kept wrecking me along with the jerks in the untended graves, and ratswarms killed me until I was able to one-shot them because at least one was able to get a bite in.

Well, Condolences I suppose.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Watch the video again. Im by no means defending the system, but it is 100% intended.

You didn't understand what I was saying.

How do you know it's intended? You really think From made a whole complex system that barely affects gameplay, is impossible to notice and no one is going to care about?

I think it's more likely they had poise, removed it through development because it trivialized the PVE but in removing it there remained left overs of the system in some weird instances, like the one described in the video.

Or do you really think we have the Wolf Ring, a ring that does gently caress nothing unless you watch some crazy poo poo insane youtube video? Come on now

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

ropa posted:

It's latency yes, or you being too slow.

And of course you go trade, because you spam R1 afterwards and win it. Poise would force you and other PVP scrubs to learn other (proper) approaches.

That's not happening though. We trade on the first hit, both take damage, then we trade again immediately after and the same thing happens. Unless I get the first hit in while they are neutral (which means they're bad) I'll trade every time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yolomon Wayne posted:

My DS3 evening:

Funny that's almost exactly the same as mine

No wait, it IS exactly the same

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

net cafe scandal posted:

Well, Condolences I suppose.

Thank you, friend.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

My DS3 evening:

The lesson here is you should have made a sorcerer who can just cheese the boss solo by spamming spells at him at range or a str build that can use dragonslayer great shield and laugh as the boss cant damage you.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Is summoning so hosed for Nameless King because everyone needs help there? It was taking me 5+ minutes to get past "Unable to Summon Phantom" last week. It was worse than trying to summon on release night.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

That's not happening though. We trade on the first hit, both take damage, then we trade again immediately after and the same thing happens.

that would only happen if you were using same type weapons... if you go against a greataxe or a dagger that wouldn't be happening like you describe it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

turtlecrunch posted:

Trying to think of locations where they don't give you an alternate path up or that paths aren't double-wide.

How about the little staircase right after the 2nd giant in Cathedral of the Deep?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I must be in the minority, because I actually like fighting dogs in this game. They always attack in the same manner, which means you can time your attack so that they throw themselves onto your sword. Feels just as cool every time.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Iretep posted:

The lesson here is you should have made a sorcerer who can just cheese the boss solo by spamming spells at him at range or a str build that can use dragonslayer great shield and laugh as the boss cant damage you.

Yes, i know.
I thought i would be having fun with a dex build, and i was, up until everytime i met a boss.

Cant even touch bloodstains at the moment, somethings borked.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Melanion posted:

Aw. I was hoping it would open a secret door or something. The flames are pretty, though.

Steam has one of the most user-unfriendly screenshot systems I have ever witnessed.

What armor is that?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

net cafe scandal posted:

Show of hands.. how many of you actually thinkt his is true.

For a new player: 2? No. 4 or 5 maybe. For early bosses, certainly. I have my weapon to the point I can 1 or 2-shot most enemies I'm fighting. The problem is if I run into a big group accidentally I'm just stunlock shoved into a corner where I can't roll out and just die because every swing gets interrupted. I just thought I was bad and there's nothing I could do other than never fight that many enemies. But after finally getting the stats for a greatsword I realize with hyper armor swings that it's manageable. If I had enough (functioning) poise to get even 1 swing off I wouldn't just flat out be dead the moment one of them gets past my block.

Maybe a better way to put it is it's much easier to die in infuriating ways to packs of regular dudes while poise is just disabled.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

What armor is that?

pontiff knight, the irithyll skeleton ladies

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Melanion posted:

So I stumbled into a way to trivialize Oceiros (perhaps just phase 2?) and gleefully abused it. Now I'm not sure which transposition my sorcerous self wants.

Is it called having a shield? :v:

I just went in as a sword and board rear end in a top hat and only had to use one estus (when I first encountered his breath attack).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Yolomon Wayne posted:

My DS3 evening:

What do you expect some difficult game known for its difficulty to be easy and fair?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ropa posted:

You really think <japanese developer> made a whole complex system that barely affects gameplay, is impossible to notice and no one is going to care about?
Come on now

I mean, do you not?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MokBa posted:

Is summoning so hosed for Nameless King because everyone needs help there? It was taking me 5+ minutes to get past "Unable to Summon Phantom" last week. It was worse than trying to summon on release night.

Everyone needs help there so every sign gets snapped up with 0.00001 seconds of going down, but at the same time nobody wants to put down their sign because it's a really long fight and there's a 90% chance the host is gonna eat poo poo to the first combo and waste your time.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
yeah i did a few summonings to help nerds kill him but people not even being able to survive the second form 3 seconds doesent make it tempting.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

StashAugustine posted:

What armor is that?

Crown of Dusk, Pontiff Knight chest, Dancer pants/gloves. Fashion Souls. The fabric physics on the pontiff's ragged tails/cloak are amazing, especially when using ladders.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Is it called having a shield? :v:

I just went in as a sword and board rear end in a top hat and only had to use one estus (when I first encountered his breath attack).

I'm determined to make sorcery work and my stamina is abysmal coz I pump so many points into Int and Attunement. The cheese is a corner of his room where you can get him stuck and spam spells/arrows at him forever.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

skasion posted:

Everyone needs help there so every sign gets snapped up with 0.00001 seconds of going down, but at the same time nobody wants to put down their sign because it's a really long fight and there's a 90% chance the host is gonna eat poo poo to the first combo and waste your time.

I was putting down my sign there yesterday in NG++, so I was SL165 ish I think.

One time I observed both the host and the other phantom sit and hack at the feet while I was chopping it's beak off.

E:

Probably doesn't need to be said, but yes the host died to the very first combo he threw out in phase two.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 27, 2016

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Melanion posted:

Steam has one of the most user-unfriendly screenshot systems I have ever witnessed.

Usually it's just f12? Or steam controller press centre button+r2

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

ropa posted:

that would only happen if you were using same type weapons... if you go against a greataxe or a dagger that wouldn't be happening like you describe it.

That's how it should be on paper, but it's not how it works in game. Do you actually do any PvP?

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, do you not?

Hehe.

Not on this level not at this point.

No matter how obtuse From tends (or used to) be, I can't think of Poise, a stat spoken all through the game, in stat screens, in item descriptions (including a very important lore item, a shield)... is a system in place that affects those few couple of frames at the end of your roll.

I can buy into the argument that they reuse a lot of their engines through their games, and that at one point they built from the DS1 system, and perhaps removed poise on purpose because they had other plans for it, but that doesn't really explain what ended up happening.

If we didn't have the shield and the ring, I would be less skeptical, but it really seems like a flaw in communication or lack of time. It doesn't make any sense.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just got to the road of sacrifice and my computer just explodes. It's only when I first load the area from the undead settlement and I havent gone further. It this normal or is the whole z0ne that way?

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Shannow posted:

Usually it's just f12? Or steam controller press centre button+r2

I meant in terms of finding your images/posting them anywhere but your steam profile or social media. If you're going to dump a game's screenshots into a folder with a load of nonsense numbers for a name, give me an 'open screenshot folder' button.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Melanion posted:

I meant in terms of finding your images/posting them anywhere but your steam profile or social media. If you're going to dump a game's screenshots into a folder with a load of nonsense numbers for a name, give me an 'open screenshot folder' button.

Go to Settings > In-Game, and over on the right you can set what folder you want your screenshots to be saved to. You can also choose to save an uncompressed copy since steam screens are mid-quality jpgs by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Lol, at 40 dex a non-scaling fire/magic/dark longsword outdamages a sharp-infused longsword.
They should put a dex-warning in the loading screen somewhere.