Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Section Z posted:

I took a quick peek in the faint hope a DS1 weapon I always wanted but wasn't for players was in, and while it's not a cosmetically identical match I know I have another reason to want 32 strength in my future.

I still can't believe those fuckers in DS1 dropped a Greataxe as their second weapon drop, they didn't even use those :argh:

Why do hedge clippers need 32 str

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Not sure if this happened to everybody else, but fighting the giant demon in the mimic room in the catacombs? All I had to do was goad the demon to shoot fire at me while I was at the top of the stairs.

Everytime said demon would chase after me, he'd run up the stairs, and then slowly back himself down the stairs because It was way past his "Aggro" range. It let me sneak in at least three shots to where i'd run back up and rinse and repeat. It took about maybe 4-5 turns of the same thing happening, but it was supremely easy so long as you don't get bored or cocky, and accidentally walk into the one or two skeletons that could spawn.

I don't know where the mimic came from but he ran in Stone Cold style and flawlessed the demon.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

I pvp with a great club and i'm incredibly powerful

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

How do I buy decent crossbow bolts and where is the best place to farm heavy gems?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Weapons with bleed damage. :downs:

Seriously, almost any bleed weapon will work, but can have varying degrees of dependence upon the bleed. Bandit Knife relies heavily on bleed, so it won't really work very well until you can infuse for bleed, with good luck, and slapping Carthus Rouge on there. Warden Twinblades are fairly similar, but fair a little better as normal weapons that also happen to bleed.

Morning Star also works, having high base damage, letting you dump more stats into Luck on a raw infusion to still maintain OK base damage. Also blunt damage which is pretty good for a lot of NPCs that don't bleed.

Barbed Straight is nice - not as fast as bandit or Warden, but it's still a straight sword for all the perks of having a straight sword.

Pick whatever weapon you like and fiddle with your stats to make it work. Bleed is generally good. Even the Flamberge gets an honorable mention in this regard. not a great bleed weapon, but it's still a good greatsword (claymore moveset) that has better range AND bleed.

I tried a morning star with a luck build and hollow infusion and it was not good for bleeding things. It's an ok weapon aside from the bleeding (short range so not great for PVP but not self-gimping or anything) but I respecced and made it heavy.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Backstabs can punish whiffed parries but that's pretty much the only way you will backstab someone one on one without lag being involved. Even stuff like ugs r1s recover too fast to roll through and then backstab.

Block through an attack while circling. I guess you don't actually have to drop guard to BS but I do it automatically and it messes up my timing if I try not to.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Has anyone tried seeing if the second chance miracle will let you survive a fatal fall onto valid geometry?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcljiDTwao

Skills. (Late game area spoilers, kinda)

You should have left a message.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

What's the highest stability on a shield that can parry?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

One neat trick you can do in pvp is if somebody has a katana just stand still. stop attacking and hold your shield up and they will run in circles doing dash attacks forever.

Tested multiple times before the new patch came out. Will test again tonight and report back.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

What do I level after I get 27 Vig and 40/40 Str/Dex? Pump the rest into End or continue on until I hit the hard(er) caps at 50/60/60?

Stopping your vigor at 27 is exactly the same as stopping your strength when you stop getting 5 damage a level or whatever with your great club which no one does. Vit gouges are always the strongest builds.

I PVPed a bunch with base warrior endurance and it was fine, just couldn't block big weapons because I'd get guard broken. I think I only had that happen once after I got the prisoner's chain and ring of favor. I don't think it's really worth leveling endurance. No point in swinging 3 times in PVP and you don't have openings that long in PVE really.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

My DS3 evening:

Spend 5 minutes to kill the dragon, get oneshot by Nameless King.

Unable to summon Phantom...

I asked the IRC to phantom for me and they told me to upgrade my weapon to +10 and I did and then I beat him my next try, no phantom. I couldn't even see any signs.

You can visceral him and I did it twice, don't know what you need to do to get a visceral chance but I was hitting him in the back.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

ropa posted:

I would ask the same. I have 3 pvp toons: swordspear, dual flame pyromancer and uchi. The swordspear wins against the shortsword so hard you don't even get to trade once unless you outplay me super hard or parry my one hand R1 that basically stops you from trading even if you roll through it (because the recovery is fast enough I can get out) unless you predict and roll before I attack, but that's still outplaying, and anyone can beat anyone if they're better, regardless of weapon.

The short swords gets outranged by plenty of weapons and plenty of weapons have stronger staggers. You're telling me you trade even with everything that's just bullshit bro.

You get poked by most popular PVP weapons (all of them have more range than the shortsword) before you even get in range and that stops your swing. That's how it works in paper, and in game.

You can't beat a weapon with more range unless you outplay them, you're never going to trade unless they mess up, and if you trade with a weapon with more range, it also probably (can't think of one that doesn't) does more damage so you're still losing the trade

I have pvped a lot with a great club and a morning star and a bit with a winged knight halberd and I am going to make up a pickaxe next and this person seems to be telling the truth and not all the people who talk about how powerful straight swords are.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

So is there a way to inflict toxic on enemies? It's listed as a resistance or immunity for most bosses on the wiki but I've never seen Toxic on either side other than the short swamp before whichever boss was forgettable enough that I don't remember fighting him a couple days ago.

Toxic Mist pyro or dung pies. Dung pies also toxic you and I don't think there's a way to raise your toxic resistance so you'll probably toxic yourself too.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

Do the effects of the horsehoof ring and tsorig's ring interact with each other at all? Thinking about starting a KICKMAN build or something stupid like that.

The wiki says the horsehoof is +10% stamina drain on attacks too, +30% on kicks. Stacks with knightslayer.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

DS2 had some good ideas but I just can't make myself like it.

Lords of the Fallen had some good ideas too. Evaporating bloodstains and special conditions for drops are the only two I remember but I think there were more.

Sucked real bad though.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Szcwczuk posted:

How are you better than me when you summon 3 other people and get a blue to 5v1 or 5v2.

That's called generalship.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Pickaxe in PVP is fun and I've never seen anyone else using one and a lot of time people seem to react like it's a joke weapon. I'm sure it's never optimal but it's not that bad.

It's classified as a great hammer. You get great hammer hyperarmor, which is good because the whole point is to get Leo ring counters. It swings slower than a large/great club, has worse range, and does less damage -- I usually get around 310 on a Leo hit with an r1, more like 350 on an r1 with a great club (both +10 heavy with 40 strength). But I did hit a dragon guy with a fully charged r2 Leo hit for 1094, which killed him so it probably did more. I usually get a hair over 700 with a fully charged great club r2, but I've never hit a dragon with one. Figuring most people probably have about 25% absorption that probably means a 950 or so hit with a great club. It's a lot easier to hit people with the great club though.

Despite being a great hammer as far as I can tell all of its attacks (aside from jumping I hope) are parryable and I've learned each one in the most embarrassing way possible. MAYBE not the 2h r2, I died on the riposte so I couldn't check but I think I was 2-handing. But the 2h rolling attack is the ground pound like the ds1 greathammers/ds2 drake keeper great axe/ds3 great axe and comes out very fast so it should be hard to parry anyway. That's good because it's more or less the only way to hit somebody who can out range you enough that you can't hyperarmor through for a counter hit.

I don't know that it's useful at all but in pve at least it seems to cause a heavier stagger than the great club, etc.

It is a fun weapon and not that bad and you should try one today.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Section Z posted:

While it's nowhere near as cool, have you had any luck with the War Pick, or is the lack of hyper armor not enough to make up for it even if you've tried because it's only Normal Hammer style for both PvP and PvE?

I have not found it. My guess is without hyperarmor it'd just be like using a mace or something though which is not that good.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Section Z posted:

You just straight up buy it from Greirat after his first outing. Though it's basically just "Lower damage 'hammer' with Pierce", and still has the same way too short, way too weak Stamina buff weapon art as the Pickaxe.

Trading Loretta's bone to the crow was like the third thing I did in Firelink and I didn't find Greirat until after I beat the game and looked up why I couldn't buy crossbow bolts.

I have no idea where you meet the pyro trainer but maybe I did and he sits somewhere in Firelink that I never visit :downs:

e: blacksmith hammer is one of the better mace class weapons but they're not very good.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder how early you could do this and how far you could play before it fixed itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N25D3aaM4Rs

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Melanion posted:

I'm curious what the avid PvPers think about this hypothetically being changed. If you had to be embered to invade (with corresponding health boost) and the winner got an ember item (whether host or invader) would that be a boon to PvP?

This is how it should be and you should drop your bloodstain where you left it in the host world (like it is) and a darkmoon should be queued up to invade as soon as you return to your world. And then you should get mobbed by other invaders for having a phantom in your world.

It wouldn't even really affect fight clubbers since their bloodstain is probably 2 feet from the bonfire.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe try with a plus 10 weapon.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

I always think a little less of someone who's using a big weapon and then switches to an estoc or whatever for a finisher. It's disrespectful to your greataxe, etc.

Using a bow or items is acceptable.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Captn Kurp posted:

Just an idea, try the silver cat ring, and if they're relatively low on ladder you can slide down then just jump off to the bottom and shoot them with a bow. To be honest though I would just black crystal out because who gives a poo poo.

Not trying really hard to kill someone who has a plan for not letting you kill them, is just unfathomable to me.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Hedonist posted:

Does the weight of a weapon dictate how much stamina it takes to swing it?

Not at all.

Blaziken386 posted:

Is anyone here currently playing on the PS4 version? I need help in Irithyll. Not because of difficulty, mind you, but because those spider lady things in the sewer freak me the gently caress out and I can't deal with that poo poo. I'm hanging out near the distant manor bonfire (not at the bonfire, outside the building, summons don't work by the bonfire itself).

Password is Lasertag.

Hahahaha

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

My brother and I are going to do a co-op play through. If we want to maximize how often we're invaded should we stick to the wiki's co-op levels or go a little higher or a lot higher or what? My first play through was almost always embered and I was invaded I think 3 times. But I think I was probably under-leveled the whole time and over-upgraded a lot of it.

I'm also interested in hearing interesting weapon choice ideas or gimmick ideas. My main dude's a strength guy so those are mostly all the weapon's I've tried.

I got wrecked by a sorcerer in PVP a couple times last knight and am considering that.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

If you want to get invaded just rub dried fingers on your face. You'll constantly get reds throwing themselves at you that way.

If you want to use sorcery and also an interesting weapon, I heartily recommend the immolation tinder. A lot of people are put off by its bizzare stat requirements, but its a solid weapon that actually has really drat good scaling. Its also a weapon that scales off int but doesn't deal magic damage. This is quite useful, as it means your mage won't get walled by enemies that resist magic. Plus it just plain looks cool.

I think I will do this. Here's the best I can do:

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/8807

This'd work a lot better at level 200.

e: there's no clothes that boost spells aside from dusk crown this time, right?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

frytechnician posted:

That is unbelievably impressive and has inspired me to try the same later tonight.

Also, has anyone had any success with a PVP dagger build? I loved the bandit's knife in both DKS and DKS2 but the damage in 3, especially on the riposte is just shy of being what I'd like.

I've seen a few people use I think a bandit knife (something with bleed anyway) and iron flesh. Then you skip around and bleed people.

I've died to it.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

I am almost positive that in DS1 when you waved you were holding your weapon in your waving hand. So the technology should exist.

Maybe I've just got rose-tinted glasses and I'm misremembering.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

One thing I've discovered that I'm now having trouble reproducing is, outside the pontiff bonfire there're a couple rows of cobblestones that are raised and if you jump off them just right you won't roll after your jump, you'll just plant your feet.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

tidiox posted:

Let go of the control stick after jumping.

That's amazing.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

I got in line in a fight club yesterday and all 4 people in front of me were using one with a backup straight sword or estoc. I thought everybody was just trying for a R1 then the spinny weapon art thing though.

The launch PVP in this is the best out of any of the Dark Souls games though. It took like 4 patches to straighten out all the infinite stunlocks and monastery scimitar and Havel/avelyn and that dual halberd build that took no damage and one-shot everything in DS2 and DS1 didn't get a major balance patch till the DLC came out.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

The Champ is different from all those bosses in that he has extremely fast punches and kicks he mixes in with his slower combos, so getting a safe opening against him is way harder. Dodging his main attacks isn't difficult, its trying to find a safe opportunity to hit him. As far as I could tell, its random whether or not he decides to do a kick or shoulder check after one of his regular combos.

I do not understand how someone could have trouble with loving Oceiros but consider the Champ easy.

How did you feel about Asylum Demon?

Get ready for this: I beat the Champ on my first try and the only bosses that took me more than 3 tries were Nameless King and Bordt and they both took me a lot more than 3.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

frytechnician posted:

Some quick weapon reports of stuff I've tested out in PVP:

Pickaxe: Looks baller but is just too slow for PVP. You need a very patient playstyle and considering the range, you're probably better off with the Spiked Mace or Great Club. Really wanted to like it but just the easiest thing in the world to dodge.

You have to trade hits with it and leo ring. I think it gets greataxe hyperarmor (I don't know if anybody's tested this but it seems like greataxes have hyperarmor through most of their swing, and great clubs start up later). I do my PVPing in the SL80 bracket with a strength build and the problem with the pickaxe there is that it does less damage on a leo hit than a greataxe does normally, and they have almost exactly the same range and moveset (the greataxe I think 1-h R2 is a little different but not that much). It's a lot lighter than a greataxe but who cares about equip weight? I still use it the most out of anything because it's cool and trying to get leo hits is fun. Might be better at lower levels but if you go up to 100 or 120 I'd think the greataxe advantage would just grow. Also all the pickaxe moves are parryable AFAIK which is fine because you're always just trying to trade hits.

great club is fantastic. Excellent range, the charged R2 is like a DS1 large club R2 and people get greedy looking to punish it. Unlock and free aim, the sweep does damage all the way through, very easy to hit people with.

large club is kinda bad. Does less damage than the great club and the moveset is all straight ahead. Probably has a bit more range going forward but every time I use it I end up switching to the great club. My most disappointing +10.

winged knight halberd I don't enjoy. Damage is meh, but maybe it works better as quality than heavy. The weapon art does like 90 damage a hit. Otherwise just a standard slashing halberd.

blacksmith hammer is probably the best small hammer I've tried. Moveset is side-to-side, does decent damage. There's never a reason to use a small hammer or small axe over a straight sword that I can guess, they're always slower, less damaging, and worse range. I've never tried a straight sword though.

Smough's hammer is almost exactly like Smough's hammer in DS1 and it's mostly funny looking. It does a lot of damage and it's fine but all the interesting moves are too telegraphed to hit anything.

bandit axe I made +9 and I think I used it but I must not have liked it very much.

great axe is fantastic just for the damage and hyperarmor and I have no idea why everybody in the world isn't using one. It doesn't have a fancy 1300 hp combo like a black knight halberd, it just has a 2-hit R-1 combo for like 900.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Einwand posted:

I see loads of people using Yhorm's machete which is basically the greataxe with a different heavy attack, more range and damage in return for slightly higher weight, stamina usage and can't be buffed.

I think Yhorm's uses the great club class hyperarmor which imo makes it worse. But I haven't played with it a ton. Also I'm pretty sure it's less damage than a greataxe under most circumstances. I don't think the range is worth the stamina consumption either.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Einwand posted:

Well I went and made a heavy +10 great axe just to test it, and Yhorm's does indeed do more damage. By an entire 15 AR at 66 strength, Yhorm has higher scaling while the great axe has more base damage, so they'll probably be pretty much equal outside of excessive stat amounts. Can't say about the hyper armour frames though, real hard to test, though it has the great axe classification, not hammer so I'd be surprised if it did.

Again haven't played with Yhorm's a ton, but it seems like with most great clubs if I am in the face of someone with an estoc or straight sword or something like that, they'll stun me out of a trade. With a greataxe I can get a trade off. I'm pretty sure the pickaxe uses the same hyper armor as as most of the great axes. It also seems like the stagger animation in PVE is more pronounced than the stagger from, for example, a great club. So I think there are standard hyper armor models for weapon classes but some weapons borrow the model from a different class. I *think* Yhorm's borrows from the great clubs because in the little bit I played with it it seemed more similar to my experience with a great club than a great axe.

I've never tried doing testing side by side or anything though, maybe I'm making all of this up.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Szcwczuk posted:

Yeah with the poo poo netcode and my luck ill get back stabbed while in the air (has happened to me). The window for parry is way way way too large. it's need to be much tighter. They also need to nerf the counter ring.

The hornet ring is too strong (also all attacks are too strong but that's been a problem in almost every game) but dead angling is back (although I don't know exactly how it works with a straight-ahead attack. I'm suspicious that hitting with your back is how to do it but it's hard to tell for sure with the latency) and you can also charge attacks to vary your timing. Parrying was barely relevant in DS1 PVP after about 6 months and it should end up less so in DS3.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Fereydun posted:

list good rings in ds1/2/3

DS1: Leo, FAP, cloranthy, hornet, havel's, bellowing dragoncrest, sun's firstborn, red tearstone, dark wood grain. 2 ring slots, FAP was mandatory

DS2: Leo, Nth dragon, ring of blades, Flynn, cloranthy kinda, life ring, I don't remember all the magic ones but probably a lot, gower's. 4 ring slots, ring of blades was mandatory and usually 3rd dragon too.

DS3: Leo, life ring, all the magic rings which is a lot except I guess magic is bad, hornet, prisoner's chain, milk ring. Cloranthy, FAP, & knight slayer all kinda. Maybe red tearstone and the one that boosts your damage at full health? Idk. 4 ring slots, prisoner's chain is mandatory except you can't fit it on a wizard, but wizards are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Monomythian posted:

No one who knows what they are doing is going to wear the Knight Slayer, Tearstones, or Milk Ring.

I meant blood ring. If you are playing optimally yes you would always swap to red tearstone.

I admit I don't know what I'm doing.