Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Listerine posted:

Midir is the goddamn worst boss in this game. I'm north of 60 attempts.

What helped me win was a certain weapon. You look like a caster, so you may not be able to use it. Remember a very important person in Dark Souls history that fought against the abyss? Do you remember which weapon that person used to fight the abyss? Said weapon does more damage to creatures of the abyss. Like Darkeater Midir.

You also might try the ring that gives you more iframes but increases the damage you take. That ring is game changing if you're having trouble against a boss, its how I beat Gael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fly Molo posted:

...you really shouldn't use that last ring against Midir. Not since the last patch, anyway. Bloodring is now -30% damage absorption across the board, and it gives you 1 less i-frame (15 vs 16 pre-patch, instead of 12 normally). So you're risking being one shotted for not much gain, unless you're running Tears of Denial.

It must depend on how you play, and when your brain tells you its a good time to roll. It was a world of difference in my experience.

I'm surprised its only one iframe, it feels like a lot more than that. But yeah you'll get one shotted by the laser breath.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Dark Souls 2 has my favorite collection of levels in the entire series. But that also takes away from what made DS1 and to a lesser effect DS3 great - a big world. Drangleic felt like a series of levels, I didn't feel like I was exploring a world. Lordran and Lothric are mostly contiguous. You can usually see the big wall of Anor Londo in DS1. You can often see the towering rock city of Lothric. In DS2, in one minute you're in Majula, then pass through a sewer and you're in a grand expanse of a crumbled kingdom overtaken by the ocean (which is my favorite area in all Souls games.)

I liked the weapons in 2 more as well. DS3 homogenized a lot of weapon movesets, at least they did for greatswords. The Fume UGS is quite different than it was in 2. Twinblades were fun and flashy, although they were better in PvE since they are pretty easy to parry.

But the biggest offense is you can't infuse the Avelyn. What the gently caress. I want my lightning Avelyn shooting lightning bolts!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I really miss the "Wag your finger" gesture :saddowns:. The game doesn't feel complete without it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Does anything actually happen when you give The Girl The Thing you got from The Guy at the end of The Ringed City? Does it change an ending?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Obviously, that painting will be the up and coming Dragons's Souls.

(sorta actually wish this was true)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Obligatum VII posted:

I would no joke be really interesting in seeing someone take a swing at an action game that featuring a non-humanoid protagonist. I imagine drifting would be like, an actual pivotal part of your moveset in order to achieve fast turns. Dragon drifting.

I'd be the Undead Burg drake that just chills on a bridge and breathes fire on newbies.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I wish there was a gimmick covenant in DS3, like Gravelords or Ratbros, except they worked. I loved the idea of those covenants, but you'll never actually get an invasion or be invaded. I know The Ringed City sorta has one, but that isn't as fun as the concepts of the other ones I mentioned.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I've never not been immediately double invaded after Pontiff :shrug:

That isn't the kind of invasion I'm talking about. Those are regular invasions, from Aldrich's covenant. I mean gimmicks, like how Gravelords put a sign down in their own world, and someone elses world would get poisoned with tons of black phantoms, which they would have to get rid of by finding the invasion sign and killing the Gravelord.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
What the gently caress, I'm jealous as hell that you people got the Rat covenant working. I must have gotten into Dark Souls 2 too late, when everybody was Way of Blue, Blue Cops, or Dickwraiths.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The red phantom hedgehogs are my most hated enemy in Dark Souls 2. Holy loving poo poo did those little assholes deal out damage.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tallgeese posted:

That's because most of their design choices were utterly correct.

They basically only did two blatantly wrong things: Agility and Soul Memory.

Of those, DS1 pulled a similar stunt of having a bad stat (Resistance), and in DS2 it doesn't even matter because Soul Vessels are a thing and you don't exactly have to be stingy with your levels.

Soul Memory is pretty bad, but inconsequential for the vast majority of the playerbase.

Agreed completely about agility and soul memory. My third primary complaint was the fact that there were consumable invasion items only. All red and blue orbs were cracked, you couldn't get a whole one. Other than that, and world inconsistency, the game is just so much more fun. I miss twinblades, as goofy as they were.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I know you chug a lot faster in DS3, do you roll farther and more often too? It seems like it. The PVP is so much different compared to 2, which felt better paced.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Maybe its just me, but the defense increase you get when you are summoned as a spear of the church, and the host has phantoms, just isn't enough. Is the ritual spear even worth using?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
People are seriously disconnecting themselves whenever they see a player invade the Halflight fight. They'd rather bear the shame of pulling the plug than possibly losing to another human being. Its happened to me four times now.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

basalt posted:

They probably want to fight the NPC as it's an encounter that's both more interesting and challenging than anything the vast majority of players can provide. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just play in offline mode, though.

One guy did it with three phantoms. For a few seconds, the defense increase was significant. They chip off 100 or less health. But you get swarmed and it really doesn't matter how much absorption you have. Still, the guy disconnected anyway which I thought was funny. I should get a covenant item for that. Farming them from ringed knights is a pain in the rear end.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Do you need to buy his shield too?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

MMF Freeway posted:

I always liked the ring of favor and protection.

Someone marry me with it

I only have a horsehoof ring if you still wanna do this

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3 are good games

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

alf_pogs posted:

i've moved into an unfortunate situation without a stable internet connection and have to grind out a bunch of cov items (wolfblood grass, conchords kept) - are these all accessible via rare enemy drops or am i doomed?

All of them are farmable, with vertebra shackles and spears ornaments of the church being the worst. Wolfblood grass isn't bad, you can farm the area with the two dickwraiths and get pale tongues at the same time. Concords kept are also pretty easy, kill the two silver knights in front of Anor Londo over and over and over and over.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The second rank of Spears of the Church gives you a better, I assume, spear attack. How much better is it?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Maleh-Vor posted:

Strip naked, one-hand a Black Knight greataxe with the hornet ring. Walk in, parry his leaping attack with your bare hand and murder him. Seriously, parrying him completely trivializes that fight.

Some of us are Parry-Impaired, and find this quite offensive.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm debating making my next run a super heavy two hander run, a dual wielding run, or a single weapon with a parrying offhander. Do shields still have varying frames of parrying, like how the buckler has always been the best one? Or are all shields equal now?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Okay, first off... that ending was kind of offensive. I know Miyazaki was eager to end the series, but come on, man.

Secondly, I'm noticing some things I didn't notice on my first playthrough. For example, when you enter the Undead Settlement, and go to where Yoel is, you can see a collapsed part of the bridge with a dead drake on it. Near it is a corpse with an item. What is that item, and when do you get it? I probably got it on my first playthrough, but it didn't occur to me where that was.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Since we're talking about gods getting cucked, would anyone mind taking a small diversion and explaining to me why the gently caress a part of Anor Londo is sitting in Irythill? Was Aldrich too loving fat and engorged on godliness to go there himself, so he had it brought there by his servants or something

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

Irthyll is Anor Londo. The city has a different name now because its been countless years since the gods actually had control of the place.

Irthyll looks like some Harry Potter poo poo, not Anor Londo, which had to have everything in human size and giant size.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

veni veni veni posted:

Why hold out? you can buy the game and DLC for the same price a GOTY version would cost or less already.

I have been wondering if there will be a Scholar of the First Sin type edition for DS3. It changed some parts of the game, mostly for the better, and adds a better ending. DS3 really needs that.

NG+ hasn't been very interesting, the only differences being barely stronger enemies, different soul items to pick up, and rings +1/+2.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

And +1 and +2 is obsolete now

I really don't get the decision to put +3 rings in your first playthrough of TRC. Was From hoping to sell power or something?

This just makes me wish the game would get a SotFS upgrade for existing owners even more so they can streamline the whole thing. Imagine the swamp in Farron Keep, except with black phantom versions of those goat-shamans of death. That'd be horrifying.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Horsehoof Ring +3 that sends kicked players flying for twenty feet.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Another regret about this game I have, and feel free to disagree, is that there isn't enough of Lothric in it. You have the High Wall section, and the castle section. Both offer beautiful vistas, and you only get to visit 2% of the city. Personally I would have loved if you go back to new sections of the city two or three more times.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

Wasn't there some bogus analysis of DS3 prior to launch that claimed you could visit every part of Lothric you see

You can! In theory. If they designed levels around them. But totally!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
If you have equal amounts of strength and dexterity, is the heavy or sharp infusion worse or better than refined?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Your Computer posted:

Does the Frayed Blade weapon art (anime multi-slash attack) count for the Pontiff rings and Carthus Beacon? Might be fun, since it hits a ton of times in a very short window. With a lot of FP (and assuming the rings work), I bet you could get through the game just spamming that :haw:

That's what I've been doing, but a damage-race boss isn't very fun :(

Speaking of successive attacks, I just did Deacons of the Deep with the Old Wolf Curved Sword, both Pontiff rings and Ring of the Evil Eye +3. If you think that fight can't get any stupider, think again!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Your Computer posted:

I got summoned as a Blade of the Darkmoon into a world with a host and a red invader... then another Blade of the Darkmoon showed up.... then another...

Is this guy hogging all the blue spirits!? I didn't even know you could have three blues, let alone three from the same covenant and all for a single red phantom :monocle:

Can't you theoretically get eight or nine players in one world?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

hanales posted:

Not exactly the same, but the knight slayer's ring does stamina damage against guarding. I've found it's pretty effective against turtles.

I haven't had much luck with that against people with Artorias' Shield and other great shields, I run out of stamina before their guard is broken, then I get counterattacked. Maybe it needs a +3 version.

I miss the stone ring from DS2 A LOT. I loved that little pretty thing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Nuebot posted:

Dark Souls 2 was the best game.

EDIT: It also had the best cat in the series.

I was hoping we'd find out just exactly what she was in DS3.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I don't know who that is, but why won't they allow TRC to be speedrunned?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The giant avelyn in smouldering lake is big hat logan.

you heard it here first, folks

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I tried my luck at pvp for a few hours today as Aldrich's Faithful. I didn't do so well. I've heard the Exile Greatsword is good, so I +10 and Refined it and tried a few duels. My attacks never landed, I don't know if it was because I was timing them wrong or if it has really short range. I switched back to my Astora Great Sword and did a little better. Aka, managing to hit people, but still losing.

Someone I fought had a Ledo's Great Hammer and just spammed what I assumed its L2 was, where the hammer gets that rocky graphic and they spin in circles. I couldn't do a goddamn thing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Maybe I've forgotten, but Dark Souls 3 seems to have given me the most camera issues in any of the Souls games.