Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hey so I'm coming in super late to the series and playing through the first one for the first time, mostly blind. Is it cool if I post questions and other DS1 stuff in here?

Edit: don't worry about spoilers, I don't mind and the lore was what drew me in to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh, couldn't find that one for some reason. Thanks!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm probably gonna be done with ds2 in a week or two, anyone have recommendations for a ds3 build? My favorite so far has been my high-AGI character powerstancing a washing pole and warped sword, mainly for the speed and versatility of the moveset. I enjoyed pyromancy in ds1, too.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

And Tyler Too! posted:

Pyromancy in 3 is incredible and you can get two of the best spells (Black Serpent & Chaos Bed Vestiges) relatively early. The best part is drat near everything is weak to either fire, dark, poison, or toxin.

Awesome. Is there anything fun, silly, or gimmicky I can do with pyro that's also versatile and viable? like, dual-wielding a greatsword + pyro or something?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

your guess is as good as mine on this one

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I believe you mean "Bearer of th seek seek lest"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

heard u like girls posted:

It probably helps people going through the games for the first time staying unspoilered about the other games i guess.

Sorta

Maybe

Going through the soulsbornes for the first time, agree. Plus there's still enough discussions on tactics, builds, etc that i think it helps to keep them separate

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Why the hell doesn't this game let me have a mohawk :mad: I wanted to make myself, guess I'm gonna go with Bernie Sanders. Or maybe my wife again. e: or my daughter! lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Posted this in the wrong thread:

I was really feelin my oats after beating the final bosses in DS2 twice in a row. I strutted on in to Iudex Gundyr thinking "psh watch me stomp on you like a little baby"

I'm now on my fourth try and properly humbled.

e: guess a little humility was what it took. That, and getting used to a different rhythm of combat with my pyro.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I just remembered, when my left hand was empty and i pulled L2, my character did a shout thing and gained an aura, what's that about?

Also with the pyro glove L2 seems to cast something like combustion, though i don't have it equipped afaik

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Somebody was asking about fun and wacky builds, and this seems like a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX3igLxes7k

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MeatwadIsGod posted:

As much as I hate "git gud" talk, I think you shouldn't summon for any boss on your first playthrough. Facing down bosses on your own gives you more satisfaction when you beat them and reinforces the "you're on your own" element that runs through all the games.

I couldn't decide whether to go totally solo or summon every time my first time through these, and eventually settled on "summon everything" because for the foreseeable future I'm only gonna have time for one play through each, so I wanna get as much NPC interaction and questlines as I can get. In the future when I come back is when I'll challenge myself to do it all solo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lol just lol if you don't beat Dark Souls using only your tongue

(llllllllladies :grin:)
(e: and fellas too :grin::grin:)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Digirat posted:

here’s a reference: my rear end

What are you doing out here, get back in izalith

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Finally got my first attempt underway for real. Meet Jacob Punchsmith, he's gonna punch Lothric into dust

(using an axe for now until I can find a fist weapon)

Managed to beat both Gundyr and Vordt on my first try :unsmigghh:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I looked up fist weapons on wikidot (my only foray into the wikis until I beat the game, usually I don't look at all but I was getting frustrated at not finding any caestus on corpses or to purchase) and was confused for a bit that there was only one apiece, but then I remembered there's no powerstancing in 3 :(

On the other hand, this lets me try a different fist weapon in each hand, so that oughta be fun. Dark Fist sounds really cool, I'm def gonna try and see if I can find the caestus and dark fist by the end of tonight's run.

that demon fist looks awesome as hell :unsmigghh:

edit: a couple other first impressions:

* Firelink Shrine is extremely drab and nowhere near as beautiful as Majula, or even the first Firelink. Firelink in 1 had the sort of muted beauty you find in an overgrown grotto, Majula was an absolutely beautiful cliffside village and a place I would legit live. Firelink in 3 seems more like a mausoleum, and has its own kind of dark gothic beauty in the way that you would expect Edward Scissorhands to trim a hedge about, but after the first two it's kinda blah. I miss Majula, which always felt peaceful at least.

* Andre is back!! :buddy: Can't believe that old sumbitch is still kickin around, not even a little bit hollow. Must've just been hammering away through the ages.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 22, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Finally got my caestus! Thanks for explaining the two-handing moveset, that helped a lot. Not sure how I feel about having a weapon art instead of my useless-but-looks-so-good three-hit lariat. These weapons seem to want you to be a lot more aggressive than in DS2. In DS2 I'd basically wait, hit em with a one-two, then dodge or wait for another opening. In DS3, as long as I'm staggering the enemy with my hits, it's best if I just mash L1/LB and absolutely wail on them.

I like it so far. Some enemies I just sprint past for now because fists just don't seem to be an option for them yet, or I'm not gud enough. Definitely looking forward to trying the other fist weapons out there!

Also met Siegward tonight and punched a fire demon to death :unsmigghh:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
DS2 is very good

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
yeah if I had any criticism of DS2 it's that on my second time through I definitely noticed how many stone hallways there were. Some absolutely gorgeous places and even gorgeous stonework areas but man that was a LOT of stonework as far as the eye could see. I'm only a little ways in to 3 so far (just beat the curse-rotted greatwood last night) but already I'm seriously impressed by the environments. Especially how absolutely massive they seem to be!

I was also kind of worried about linearity, because I saw an abstracted map showing which major areas link to others, but actually getting in the game it seems like a non-issue. The individual areas are big enough with enough loopbacks and shortcuts you can open that it feels more like a return to DS1's design philosophy after 2's obvious hub-and-spoke setup.

e: oh no I burned a bone shard at firelink shrine, thinking it would reinforce my estus like the bone dust in 2, but now the bonfire level is 2. Did I just burn a DS2 bonfire ascetic equivalent? lmao

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 24, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh phew!

Lol bones hard

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hey nice, I found some brigand armor. This should do for now until I find fashion that more befits a punchsmith of Jacob's caliber (hopefully)

It's crazy how much more active this game is than 2. I was helping people beat the greatwood and consistently getting summoned within 30 seconds of putting my sign down. And everyone seemed to really appreciate the help with how much they emoted afterward!

Game good

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I just put my sign down for Vordt, then someone summoned me, pointed up the stairs, and ran up them. And that's how I got a future boss fight spoiled lol

not a big deal I just had no idea

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Logan 5 posted:

Hah, what SL were you? DS3 is pretty linear comparatively, but that boss is actually one of the few sequence breaks you can do, you can fight them as soon as you get to that room.

I'm in my late 20s or so I think, somewhere between 25-30. I haven't been paying close attention haha

That reminds me, what's matchmaking like in 3? I think DS1 was entirely soul level, DS2 had that soul memory garbage, then DS remastered included your max weapon upgrade tier. Is 3 back to just soul level?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yoel gave me a few free levels and died, and now Jacob's more handsome than ever

e: Oh and some lady took his place, thanked me for killing Yoel, and seems real eager to help me now that I'm a Hollow. I'm so intrigued by the hollowing mechanic, because it was the default thing to happen when you died in 1 and 2, but in 3 it seems I'm a special undead that doesn't go hollow when I die normally, so Yoel had to do something to me to hollow me? So now I can go hollow and whatever the other state is called.

I have a feeling I'm gonna be looking up a lot of lore after I beat this game

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 27, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

Check your key items
oh, well that answers one question and raises like three others lol

:darksouls:

codo27 posted:

Reminding me of my old character Mr. Skeltal

I love this :skeltal:

Saul Kain posted:

That lady sells the dark hand btw.
Yeah, I picked it up but haven't quite figured it out yet. It seems unimpressive in my right hand, but interesting in my left. Caestus in the right means I can dual-wield, then switch to dark hand to switch things up or pop a surprise strong left punch. I haven't used it much yet, I think I just need to get used to it.

Logan 5 posted:

Oh yeah, they were probably making a twink and wanted a meat puppet to draw aggro. Either that or just the hilarity of summoning low level people that don't know about that boss.
lmao that makes sense. And thanks for the matchmaking info!

I went back and explored through the earlier areas for things I'd forgotten or missed, and I just wanna say Greirat is cool as hell

also, jesus loving christ Siegward, you clown

e: almost forgot I took this lol

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 28, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Logan 5 posted:

Dark Hand tips
Thanks! I played around with your suggestions and have successfully worked Dark Hand into my repertoire. I also now have the demon bone fist, which owns. It's pretty nice to have a bunch of punching options to switch between, still working on mastering them all. Perseverence works wonders in PVP though; I've been having a blast pounding invaders to dust in Farron area as a bluecop.

Moola posted:

whenever I see this message I remember this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8gO-jesXUw
lmfao

oh man so someone in the stream chat the other day was giving me some tips and he was like "if you befriended the giant archer, he'll kill this crab for you if you stand by the white tree" and I stopped playing for a minute because I was like gently caress, gently caress, you can befriend him?? I started punching the poo poo out of his ankles the second I saw him :(

I also accidentally killed some dude who dropped Chameleon, who was apparently needed for the dark ending I was hoping for :argh: and I did it because of a soapstone message that said "attack here" :saddumb:

e:
heh

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 31, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I have no idea how to help, Cleretic, sorry! Hopefully someone else does, or at least knows where to point you for help with your issue. That sucks :(

Man I'm still salty about accidentally killing that dude in the church of yorshka because of that stupid "attack!" soapstone message. I figured I'd get over it because it's dark souls and it's my first time but man. That sucks.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

this is my favorite mimic warning ever

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Decided to roll a couple new characters to play around with in the early game while I continue advancing my punchman. I made a pyro, who I plan to probably do strength/pyro stuff with, probably quality weapons but I haven't decided for sure. The other one is an assassin so I can play with dex weapons and sorceries. Any suggestions for either? The assassin is my very first caster in this game too, not counting the few hours I played with pyromancies in 1, so general tips on caster builds would be helpful. e.g. is 40 still the softcap for most stats? I'm guessing I wanna focus on raising dex/int to 40, as well as my attunement.

e: my assassin already has the uchigatana. First thing I did when I got to Firelink was parry the poo poo out of the sword master and take his stuff. But looking at the upgrade chart it only gets up to C scaling in dex at +10, so I'll probably upgrade this for now, at least to +3, but I'm guessing I'll wanna switch weapons once I start getting more large shards and up

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 4, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oooh how does this Crystal Sage's rapier stack up as far as weapons for my assassin sorceror? Should I get that with the Crystal Sage soul or Crystal Hail?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Ah, boo. Guess I'll keep truckin with this uchigatana +2

e: the irithyll straight sword looks nice too. Is it also a noob trap?

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 6, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thanks!

thanks to DS1's drake sword I'm always suspicious of new weapons now especially if they seem like they're high damage at first

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
VG has moved on to DS3

https://clips.twitch.tv/AdventurousShyNostrilFreakinStinkin-Q0GP-8B3FkJ4vn2H

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
hahaha holy poo poo pontiff sulyvahn sucks HARD if you're committed to punches only. Caestus and demon fist have a hard time reaching/hitting him even when I'm hugging his nuts, so I'm using the manikin claws which do about 113 per hit. I've gotten him down to half. Tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can parry him using my caestus-demon fist setup.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

Goddamn, Patches’ reaction to you falling for his trap if you already killed the giants (surprisingly not that hard tbh, to the point that the souls gained feels like overkill) is great. Got a hearty laugh out of me, at least.

Have you no shame??

I managed to beat the poo poo out of Sulyvahn with the caestus parry tactic! I wasn't sure about it until I saw how much damage my demon fist riposte did--about 1/4-/5 or so of the health bar. I was able to parry his leap attack pretty consistently, and learned to parry his other attacks enough that he became 100x easier to read and fight. Now I'm dealing with loving Anor Londo archers again :argh:

I love how active the sunlight covenant is in this one, I've been getting summoned nonstop for Sulyvahn on my pyromancer. I kept seeing this phantom named HmmmmmmGreg while sunbroing, and then after fighting with him as a phantom a few times, he summoned me to his world to help him beat Sulyvahn for himself :3:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I liked how easy the swamp was for my pyromancer. It rewarded the hell out of my immersion~* to see everything in the swamplands absolutely melting from my pyromancies

Also discovering Anor Londo was kind of a trip lol. I was like "oh that building in the distance resembles Anor Londo's architecture, neat callback" and then after beating the Pontiff, "lol archers on the building, yeah this is very Anor Londo" to "oh poo poo this is the antechamber to Gwyndolin's old spot, but no bonfire, this is literally anor londo wtf"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Siegward :(

Also I've hosed up and gotten Greirat killed twice now in Irithyll. :( DS3 is just gonna kill all my friends huh

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I thought the pontiff knight curved sword looked good for my dex/int assassin guy, so I put all my twinkling into it and made it +3, and it's a little faster than my +6 uchigatana but the uchi still puts out more damage. Any opinions?

I've also got this shotel and great scythe that both look tempting.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I found Aldrich, and I was intimidated at first because I'd heard a lot of people talking about how hard he was, but I managed to beat him on the first try by just punching the poo poo out of his grub rear end. Then the dancer handed me my rear end repeatedly until I finally managed to punch her taint into submission too. Took 2 tries to beat Oceiros, then I strolled all cocky n poo poo into Champion Gundyr who is now ruthlessly and repeatedly owning me lol

Didn't know the tutorial boss had this in him. That loving kick gets me literally every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lmao :darksouls: