Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

NowonSA posted:

I see the loop differences as a butterfly effect type thing. As soon as he wakes up and freaks out over having looped, asks if they know him, he's changed things and things can't go exactly the same way, even if he makes the same big decisions like what to ask for.
And this is pretty much implied, though a few goons seem to be on the level of the protagonist as far as thinking-it-through goes. His first revival in this arc he flipped the gently caress out in front of the maids, thus changing the flow of time.
There's only seven characters in this arc, just reacting differently to one character might radically alter the rest of the story.

This episode also implies that everyone in the mansion is some kind of horror, even Emelia is mixed up with the white witch or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

HenryEx posted:

There is zero clues as to what happened and zero clues as to who did it, because it happens in his FUTURE. He basically did the only smart thing available to him to find out what was going on.Trying to closely retrace his steps and at least being conscious for what happens so that he has ANY lead on which to go to prevent the loop. I'm puzzled how people keep coming and saying "i would've done so much better obviously".

I think it's more about the fact that he died and then spent the subsequent re-week hitting on maid waifus and getting the proper flags for his elf waifu rather than figuring out who killed him.
Plus like an idiot, he asked for the butler position AGAIN, instead of something slightly more useful like safe harbour/house guest for a few weeks instead of indentured servant. Even though we(viewers) know the head of house felt it was fishy for him to want to be a servant, it probably would have made him look less suspicious overall if he asked for something befitting of a reward.

Then at the end he's all excited because his brilliant plan to live was to attempt to stay awake for the night.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

darkgray posted:

But there is an apparent reason -- he wants to reenact the previous attempt so he can predict when his death will occur, and stop it from happening. If he starts making different choices, nobody knows how things will end up.

It's still a horrible reason, he should have asked to be a permanent house guest because it would at least given him time to investigate what the gently caress was going to kill him, especially since he failed to notice that everything already changed the second the maids dialogue was different when he woke up.

It's the tv trope where a person in a movie doesn't know any tropes. In this case, the protagonist doesn't know the butterfly effect trope: one tiny change in the past will change everything everything in the future. Which is sad considering he's already experienced the trope several times now.

Also, trope trope trope.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

ChronoReverse posted:

For example, you're talking about butterfly effect but how small does it have to be? Perhaps Subaru could have retraced his steps if he had simply not freaked out. Perhaps it's not possible in this world. Or it's possible that each time the world loops, even though the people don't notice, there's a small trace left so that their actions are different. It's even possible that this world is extremely malicious and genre savvy types who want to try to game the system get increasingly bad results (in which case, Subaru's method is much better than yours).

Except the the protagonist comes from our universe specifically so that the viewer can sympathize with him being in an unknown and alien world. And he should be a least a little genre savvy because he comments on other common tropes when he recognizes them, but for some reason he can't grasp the butterfly effect (which is interpreted as the smallest thing changing all events after it, aka stepping on a butterfly killed off the dinosaurs).

Your suggestion that the story's universe could have a different interpretation of the trope is fine, except for the fact that he isn't applying our universe's version first, considering he came from 'our' world.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

a kitten posted:

Maybe if we kill it, it'll loop back around with different choices.

Unless we're the MC then we'll just keep trying to do the same thing.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I was getting really tired of the reincarnation in a different world / stuck in a game / transported to a different world type shows, but this and KonoSuba really changed my opinion.

I'm still curious as to why the author picked the different-world gig. Right now its functionally equivalent to an MC with amnesia, the only difference being that he has a cell-phone which hasn't been useful up to this point. I can only assume the author did it to make it easier for readers/viewers to associate with him, but perhaps he'll use his other-worldly knowledge to advance in some way (via science perhaps?)

I also fully expect the cell-phone to be the series end-credits by showing all the photos he's taken of his harem waifus.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Argue posted:

Is there a reason everyone here agrees he was feigning madness? Maybe it was an unrealistic depiction of madness, sure, but we only have Kefka's word for it that he was faking; it was pretty clear to me that he was completely traumatized from the previous loop and only Rem's apparent death and subsequent Amigaraing snapped him out of it.

For Betelgeuse, I assume it's along the lines that Subaru isn't actually broken, he's just temporarily catatonic rather than having a permanent mental disability.

Also, I feel Betelgeuse's camp fits right in with the rest of the series, a lot of the characters are far-removed from realistic portrayals:
-Royal candidates and their exaggerated proposals.
-Rem's initial fascination with killing Subaru.
-A super mabeast masquerading as a cute puppy.
-Roswal looking like a clown with magical juggling orbs of death. (Episode 7)
-A girl who likes playing with the entrails of her opponents.

Its way more entertaining than "stoic-badguy #5."

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Is this gonna end up where Emelia is actually the witch with the seven deadly sins removed and Subaru ends up breaking her heart, thus causing her to go into Jealous mode and repeating the whole cycle again?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Subaru's a nobody.

I feel bad for the argument I made earlier in the thread about how Subaru didn't understand the butterfly effect. The dude is 100% average with no excelling qualities in any form. This series makes me pine for a protagonist that at least has one good quality like smarts/athleticism/charisma.

But nope, it's a story about a teen who doesn't learn from his mistakes so he repeatedly suffers gruesome deaths until he gets the right character to carry him through the story arc.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Dark Off posted:

On serious note the witches aim to kill emilia because that triggers the puck apocalypse.

This show is pretty great

It feels more like the witch is ensuring Subaru carries out the plotline in such a way that it will ensure her creation at the end of it.

Though nothing really explains why he was dragged into this fantasy world in the first place. Do the LNs touch upon this issue at all?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The only spoilers I prefer are the ones that cover plot which has been left out of the anime. Finding out about a dude from another world completely changes some of the dynamics of the story.

I'm all about adhering to the author's original vision, especially after watching what happened to the Maze Runner series.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I wonder if Subaru can shamac himself to prevent Betelgeuse from soul-hopping. hosed up gate + over-exhaustion would make him a useless body perhaps?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
This last episode was full of plot revelations. Now we understand what the archbishops are trying to do in the form of the ordeals, and the fact that Emilia is the target for possession by the Witch. I expect Subaru to be the ultimate ordeal where his pride breaks Emilia's heart and she becomes the witch.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Or if your success comes at great sacrifice. I could only imagine him coming so far through a reset only to lose Rem at the very end and having to choose between death or moving on with Emilia.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kazy posted:

:siren: WN/LN mega spoilers :siren:

I kind of wonder how the studio will handle "killing" Rem off. There's so much merch/marketing based on her, it's hard to imagine them dropping her thread for several arcs. As far as I'm aware, the furthest is like Arc 13 and still hasn't reached any sort of conclusion with her. I don't think that sort of thing would fly in Western media. It seems like something the studio would intervene on for marketing reasons.

They'll just use Ram instead, it'll have less emotional impact overall, but it won't tank the merchandise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I don't get why they didn't include the Who's Rem? scene. Even if the show doesn't get a second season, it wouldn't make a difference because we still have no loving clue why Subaru was pulled from another world, why Satella is doing what she do, and the whole Dragon Queen thing.

A cliffhanger ending might have actually boosted sales since people would be clamoring for what happens next.

• Locked thread