Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

This looks amazing and I cannot wait. But I highly disagree with your opinion of Godzilla 14. Edwards did a superb job of building up suspense and the slow burn paid off. That Godzilla was a force of nature and I think even more screen time would have cheapened it. At least in his first movie.

We are probably going to get more action if the rumors of Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah are in the next.

Yeah too bad they killed the only good actor within the first 10 minutes and we had to follow the most boring dude ever alive for the whole movie. Thanks kick rear end

E: Anyway the new movie looks loving awesome. All the tank and anti-air missile shots were straight out of evangelion for loving sure. Anno is going to go crazy on this one.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You know Godzilla movies had those kinds of shots decades before Evangelion right?

Yeah I know, but I feel like these were taken directly from the rebuild evangelion movies. Maybe the framing of it I don't know.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

Counterpoint: it's loving Kotaku

Yeah you guys are giving kotaku way too much loving credit on this one. I read parts of that review earlier and rolled my eyes. I'll wait for an actual film critic and not their resident weeb anime lord who lives in Japan.

E: like when he was making the note about how some kid was bored of the movie. Yeah no loving poo poo dude.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 31, 2016

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ElNarez posted:

whatever happens, this specific track from the soundtrack is maybe the most hilarious thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0DayCP5Q60

Oh my loving god I am so sold

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RBX posted:

Think DragonBall Z to dragon ball evolution

Or the avatar cartoon to avatar the movie.

Dragon ball evolution is actually so bad it wraps around and becomes good again. It's just soooo hilariously bad.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Saw this last night and I loving loved it. This was way better than Godzilla 2014, all the actor performances were great and much better compared to the 2014 one (minus Bryan Cranston obviously). I loved the themes and the message this movie had, as well as the heavy political satire. Its gonna be very difficult for Western audiences to relate since it focuses so much on the Japanese government and how they slowly respond to everything. All of the early reviews I feel like missed the entire point of this movie, but I've been seeing a lot more positive reviews now that it is out here. Want to try to watch it again sometime this weekend if I have a chance.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I loved the hell out of the movie but every line spoken in English was merely passable at best, and many of them were outright bad.

It doesn't make me hate the movie or anything but it was noticeable. Kind of what I expect from a Japanese film made for a Japanese audience though. Same problem came up with Rebuild 2.22, come to think of it.

Eh I thought it was alright. I mean maybe it was bad when actual Americans talked, but I thought it was endearing for the most part.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

bueracracy- an entirely japanese phenomenon apparently

Well I think the bueracracy in this movie is more of a commentary on how bad the Japanese government handled the 2011 earthquake and Fukushima reactor stuff.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

I actually liked the human story in G14 and don't get the complaints.

They kill off the best character in the movie early on and you're stuck with one of the most boring leads ever.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

I don't see him as boring at all. Sorry he's not Schwarzenegger punching Godzilla in the face? He's a weary dude just back from a tour then has to deal with his crazy dad, has him die right in front of him topped with the reality of a giant lizard and what appear to be aliens terrorizing the world.

Taylor-Johnson played it very well.

he is not a good actor I'm sorry

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I will never understand why people like G14 I thought it was such a soulless boring movie.

Shin Godzilla though, is the loving GOAT

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So from what I understand is that it’s a significantly worse movie compared to Shin Godzilla which I think is probably one of my favorite films ever. I still don’t get the love for Godzilla 2014, never have never will.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

UmOk posted:

King of the Monsters is the Avengers of Godzilla movies.

I agree.

Because both are bad

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Taking a look at reactions online and everyone is already assuming that godzilla/kong will team up against mecha godzilla and people are feeling underwhelmed by that and honestly me too. In all these vs movies its the only thing that they do and its just not really an interesting premise let alone a surprising one anymore.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I knew the Kong had grown a lot since '73 but I didn't quite realise exactly how much bigger he got

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1353794169374818304

No shin godzilla on here. List sucks!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This was so similar to bvs lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So I just rewatched Godzilla 2014 for the first time since 2014 and King of the Monsters.

They were much better on rewatch, 2014 more so than KOTM. The issue I believe is that KOTM just loving goes batshit crazy and they just go all in with future tech and all this stuff that wasnt even there in the 2014 movie. Huge tonal whiplash. It’s also not as quippy as I remember so that’s good.

2014 definitely holds up on rewatch though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Loved it. Not as good as Shin Godzilla, but honestly what is? This was still a great movie and really emotional. Cried at the end. 4/5

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Shin Godzilla is amazing and in some ways very similar but in other ways very different. Like, there is no human relationship drama in Shin. All the humans in Shin are reacting to Godzilla as individuals within a much larger bureaucracy.

But yes you should watch it.

Wait what? Huh????? Did we watch the same movie?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Logically I know that it’s not exactly a huge leap for Godzilla films, but there’s just something particular about the hollow earth horseshit in GvK that irritates the living poo poo out of me, and I can’t loving stand that they’re tripling down on it for this new one.

Like, part of it is just that G14 was such a great relatively grounded start to all this but part of it is also that we’ve now devolved into conspiracy theory wish fulfillment that doesn’t even make the barest lick of sense, even in the context of the other films.

Even Skull Island was relatively grounded compared to this poo poo. Why the gently caress did Legendary ever pivot from that G14/SI vibe to this?

It is so over the top. I'm watching Monarch and its like, how am I supposed to take this show even remotely serious when I know where it ends up (Godzilla vs Kong hollow earth and wild rear end space ships and poo poo)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Did anyone watch that skull island cartoon on Netflix?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Big Mac posted:

Definitely took my breath away. The out-and-back of the blast was very striking and absolutely got me.

Same. This left me absolutely shocked. The imagery alone was insane but packed in with the soundscape too, I was completely floored.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"Monsterverse" is just embarrassing at this point. No thanks.

Hilarious how it’s one of the only successful ones lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat i feel blessed right now having watched Shin Godzilla in the theater. These movies belong on the big screen for sure.

Except for the 3d version of Godzilla 2014. Holy poo poo you couldn’t see ANYTHING it was dark as hell

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Shin Godzilla owns. Gonna watch that again today

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Anime trilogy Godzilla was one of the most boring experiences I put myself through.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just rewatched Godzilla 2014. I hated this movie after watching it in the theater and thought it was pretty bad thanks to its boring leads and how they killed off Bryan Cranston’s character. But looking back, I think I was just so enthralled with his character and it was right after Breaking Bad had ended so he could do no wrong in my eyes so that really annoyed me.

Also I guess I watched it in 3d and it was dark as hell, but now watching it on 4k on my tv, and honestly this movie kinda owns? Like it’s got great pacing and great moments and just kinda kept me engaged. It’s a shame the rest of the movies in this universe went batshit insane (eco terrorists in the second one, gvk basically the whole thing is goofy as hell), but yeah idk I just wanted to talk about my experience with 2014 again. The build up also was much more enjoyable and it is cool that they tease the action until the end. Also the MUTOs are not that bad. It was good man.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly I think they do a good job with the human story in G14. Like actually!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

G14’s human story is like one casting choice (ATJ) away from being an all-timer imo. He does fine, but get someone stronger in that role and give Elizabeth Olsen more to do and people would be universally praising G14 today.

The marketing also shot the movie in the foot by highlighting Cranston’s role in basically every single trailer and tv spot. And I get it, he was at the absolute peak of his popularity at the time thanks to Breaking Bad and his presence absolutely put asses in seats, but if the marketing had done a better job emphasizing that he’s really only in Act 1 I don’t think you’d have seen the same negative response to his early death in the film.

When your marketing hypes people up to think Cranston’s the actual lead but the actor left to fill that void after his character dies is just kind of okay, well…

I still love it though.

Yup it’s this. The marketing really really left me wanting more Cranston. But watching the movie now, so far removed and also without that breaking bad hype, I think the only change would be to give him a more meaningful death. It was very anti climactic and he did act really well in the movie. The conspiracy angle I believe was also really amped up in the marketing and the movie has some of that but it’s not really concerned too much with it.

I think with some tweaks his death could have been a bit better received. And honestly ATJ isn’t that bad in this. I think he did a good job.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 15, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

LookieLoo posted:

"Also, the CG looks worse in the previews, despite costing more than ten times as much as Minus One. Which is weird."

Just ten?
It doesn't matter anyway, minus Is about the people and kxg it's about the spectacle. It's showa vs 54.

minus one is going to have a much better spectacle than godzilla vs kong 2

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That may be what they’re trying, but there’s really little similarity once you examine it.

Godzilla 2014, for example, is primarily a combination of elements from Godzilla 1984 and Godzilla vs Hedorah. Godzilla 2: King Of The Monsters is then a condensed remake of the entire Heisei/Versus Series - nabbing a lot of specific concepts and imagery directly from them.

Skull Island, admittedly, absolutely nails the tone of King Kong Escapes and Ebirah, even as it modernizes things somewhat and incorporates elements of the Peter Jackson film.

GVK, though? I’m legit unsure what’s going on there. There’s nothing like it in any of the previous movies, of any Godzilla (or related) series.

GVK takes from Evangelion. Specifically when they're fighting on top of the warships.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ungulateman posted:

GvK wishes it was taking from Evangelion; we know full well what a Godzilla-Evangelion movie looks like!

I mean yea. But you can’t tell me that fight on the boats isn’t directly lifted from Evangelion episode 8

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just rewatched Godzilla KOTM. Holy poo poo I forgot how loving annoying the script was. They were trying so hard to be funny. From memory GvK was not this annoying whatsoever. Like straight up serious scenes are cut by the randomest of quips and jokes. Tonal whiplash all over the place.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Non Compos Mentis posted:

He knows about wolves though and this helps because reasons

Coach Eric Taylor does his best with the material given. But Middleditch and that other scientist dude on the ship who according to Wikipedia at least is modeled after Rick from Rick and morty are so much worse.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s so needlessly stupid and dangerously close to genuinely-harmful conspiracy nut nonsense.

Just loving make them all b-movie aliens from Planet X like they actually did in the Showa era.

Half of the Godzilla vs Kong 1 movie human plot is about a conspiracy podcaster lol. They’re already all the way there

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just got out of the movie. The worst part was the two kids behind me (literal children so what can you do) just yapping the entire movie at a loud - ish volume. Thankfully it was imax and the sound drowned them out most of the time.

Anyway if you like the last movie youll enjoy this. It’s a lot of fun. It’s big and stupid and trashy but gently caress it, it’s fun. And the human moments pay off by the end. Godzilla hitting that suplex in imax was worth the price of admission. Give me more.

KOTM is the worst of these movies for sure.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I thought scar king was cool enough as well the tiamat, the ice dragon dude and everything else. Lanky kong rear end final boss was cool in my book

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

I saw Godzilla x Kong while high as gently caress and instead of it enhancing the viewing, it put me in an incredibly sobering state of mind that heavily impacted my viewing experience.

I could not stop thinking while watching the movie that I am pretty sure this film represents a new low bar in just how loving stupid an entire film with hundreds of millions of dollars behind it can be.

Hear me out; I know stupid multi-million dollar movies have existed in the past. I am not some alien to whom this information is brand new. However, this film legitimately feels like it was either written by an AI or by a human being who holds active contempt for the audience. The stupidity is not celebratory or fun. It feels stupid for the exact opposite reason; this movie was assembled on a factory line.

I think it was during minute 35 of the I think 100 minutes of ugly apes vaguely gesturing at each other I realised this. This is a movie written by someone so lazy and stupid they decided what they needed to do to grip audiences was give King Kong a loving character arc. Almost every single line of dialogue in this movie is a character delivering exposition, 50% of the time explaining something we just saw. It's a movie where Mothra is the good monster so she glows and makes cute noises, in case you loving morons in the audience needed a hint. If someone had a job working on this movie, they did it as quickly as possible and with as little effort as possible. It generally hits the bare minimum beats for what even constitutes a movie.

It's like if a studio's homework was to make a Kong/Godzilla movie and they only remembered the hand-in date was tomorrow the night before. I know these are a lot of words but I genuinely was having a somewhat existensial experience on the state of film watching this movie.

jesus bro stop smoking weed

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Good post but Shin Godzilla is still imo the best one

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Robot Alchemic Drive but with Godzilla, Kong and Gamera?

loving yes dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

What drama parts did Kong do? That movie still somehow had 70%+ of its runtime with the awful human characters and that's with Kong "doing the drama parts"

Did you uh fall asleep during the movie or something?