Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ok, I’m laughing my rear end off at the ending of Terrifying Cosmic Rays. These psychopath children have been demanding carnage and destruction from their 2-d chalk monster all episode and the camera just slowly zooms out on the dismayed and horrified SSSP as dozens of kids draw dozens of new monsters without a care in the world.

I loving love this episode because it feels like the show descending into self-parody. "There's a giant monster, this calls for the Science Patrol!" "Well yeah, but it's not doing anything, it's just kinda peacefully sleeping all day" "Well yes, but it's disrupting traffic and being distracting, so it HAS TO DIE :black101: " "Okay, okay...wait, it's just a chalk drawing during the day, can't we just erase it then and not have a big battle?" "We could, but that's not sporting, we have to do it by the book otherwise it doesn't count. We have to justify the pyrotechnics budget somehow, damnit!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Oh cool, I've always wanted one of those preserved radioactive mutant embryos!

...wait, what's a "godzilla movie"? :confused:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

So there's another Godzilla anime coming out. Any chance it's going to be better than the godawful Netflix films?

It has Jet Jaguar in it, so yes.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Godzilla: Heh, stupid ape. I fooled you. For you see, I... am a robot.

*He removes his face to reveal the grinning visage of MechaGodzilla underneath*

Kong: That's where you underestimated me, for I, too, am a robot.

*Kong rips off his face to reveal muscle and bone, before collapsing in agony*

Mechani-Kong!?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think anyone here was saying it looks bad. My point was that you can't just unveil the trailer to a new Godzilla thing and not show Godzilla. Pretty sure everyone else was echoing the sentiment.

Even a tease of a shot of his eyeball would have been good enough.

...there's been previous trailers though that literally does exactly what you describe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYE_sLhJ4iU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I am not sure what's going on here - so I'll reserve judgement for when I see it in motion.

"C'mon guysh, have you sheen my retainer anywhere? I can't loshe it, it'sh really expenshive, my mom will flip!"

Seriously though, it looks horrifying and I dig it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Burkion posted:

Name a film that compares to Robot Jox

I'll wait

Rocky IV?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

How do Ray Harryhausen movies like The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, or Bert I Gordon giant superimposed bug movies like Tarantula! figure into the genre of "American Kaiju movies"? Because some of those were alright.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I feel a cut-off point for a Kaiju is "Is it small enough that you, a single person, could shoot it with a somewhat conventional gun enough that it would die, barring other external factors?" If "no," it's a kaiju, notable for defying the collective power of civilization itself.

If "yes," it's more of a rogue animal movie, where it's just really unfortunate that it's in a situation where you can't just get the Army to shoot it.

Note that with this metric, Graboids from Tremors just barely don't count as a kaiju, because while they take a LOT of bullets to kill, two gun nuts in a basement managed to take one down once it wasn't under dirt. The Shark from Jaws is also presumably not immune to just being shot.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

By that definition, an elephant is a kaiju.

Elephant Guns

Drakyn posted:

Bullets don't penetrate water well :smug:

External factor, like the Graboid being underground.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

the original kaiju

Pretty sure Tiamat from the Enuma Elish gets that prize. Either that or one of the things Gilgamesh fights.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Is Night of the Lepus a kaiju film?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

massive spider posted:

And/or his inventor since its v conventional for an invention to take the name of the person who created it.

Right, like the Guillotine, or the Zamboni

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Absolute Unit 0-1

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Perhaps the true way to experience Kaiju films it to watch them with your eyes closed and let your mind make up the visuals to go along with what you're hearing

Then you open your eyes to see people in suits beating the snot out of each other and realize that's a much more enjoyable experience

It's like CSPAN, really

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Pitch your idea for a kaiju theme park attraction.

Mine is the Matterhorn, but instead of going into a mountain you just go into Godzilla's mouth and have an adventure in his digestive tract.

Is a zipline good enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_bVln6VBY8

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It's the son I always wanted...

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this movie is operates on the same goofy pseudo-science logic as KotM except without the constant wink-nudge "wow, that just happened" bullshit or having the human characters tediously explain things you just saw to the camera. it's amazing how much that basic confidence in itself and its audience improves the experience

e: also has the correct outcome for the titular versus match :v:

You know it always bugs me people harping on the "wolf packs don't really have alphas, that's pseudoscience based on observing zoo specimens" thing. Like yes, it's pseudoscience that you're basing the plot of your movie on, but I don't see nearly as many people complaining about all the psychic powers and flying saucers and poo poo in the older movies. And I never hear anyone complain about loving Atlantis being in KotM, and that poo poo's purestrain pseudoscience.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

One man's mad crusade to burn the world down just to not be a beta cuck next to Chadzilla

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I confess I have yet to get a chance to sit down and watch this movie yet, but from the snippets of plot details I keep hearing...it almost sounds like this borrowed ideas from Bride of Godzilla of all things, which is just wild to me

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

GvK is so gloriously stupid. "How do we even the odds between Godzilla and Kong? Give Kong an axe. No, a laser axe." Also, their world looks like our world but there are spaceships and space stations that must have cost a trillion dollars, but not in space.

This complaint always confuses me. the US sank literal trillions of dollars into the Military-Industrial Complex after some regular people armed with box-cutters destroyed two buildings. Can you imagine how much you could convince tax-payers to fork over if there were antediluvian monster-gods immune to all conventional weapons that can at a minimum destroy whole cities?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

They should have revealed he wasn't that guys son, they just share a common Japanese surname.

It's just that joke from Blazing Saddles, except all the names are "Serizawa"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gatts posted:

I like the Monsterverse but don’t like going dumb for it. Sacrificing quality for “fun” is crap.

That describes at least a third of all Godzilla movies though

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hexmage-SA posted:

Godzilla and the Mysterious Energy
Whereas how Jia knows about Godzilla is never explained in the movie, one scene in the novelization features Jia recognizing images of Godzilla as a “Zo-zla-halawa”, a species worshipped by enemies of her ancestors and the Kongs. The Zo-zla-halawa were said to have “eaten stars” and gained their power from them.

Wait a sec... is Godzilla's name in their language just an onomatopoeia of the noise he makes charging up his breath attack? That's amazing :allears:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shiroc posted:

The closest Showa movie to GvK is probably Vs. Megalon, which still has a nice human story about a gay couple, their adopted son and their robot butler. The enemies have motivation, there is continuity with Gigan being sent by the last alien enemies and the tag team battle at the end has more joy and humor in it.

Is there actually a canonical explanation of the relationship between the main human characters in Vs Megalon? It's a robot scientist, a kid who hangs around him who I guess is his son? And then some secret agent guy who goes on picnics with them. I know "gay couple with adopted son" the the logical assumption to make, but I struggle to think that was intended by something made in 1973.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Corman came from an engineering background, and it shows. Dude knew how to optimize production, exactly how to stretch those dollars as far as they could without letting it show. As cheap as they looked, they were actually cheaper still. Dude understood that passionate newbies in the industry hungry to make their mark and actually invested in making movies are willing to work for peanuts.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Having just marathoned through Singular Point, I have the same opinion of it as I had for Final Wars and KOTM and Shin Godzilla, which is "I wouldn't want every Godzilla thing to be like this and do what it does, but I'm glad they did it at least this time"

It's VERY heavy on the high concept :techno: to the point I was losing the thread of things for a bit, but it was certainly an interesting examination of the idea of "Godzilla shouldn't be able to physically exist, so what are the implications of it existing regardless?" And the science stuff never got in the way of the characters being interesting or the monsters being cool.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It's like Evangelion if all the Christian symbolism was obsessively researched, explained in exhaustive detail and central to the plot

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gripweed posted:

hey check this out

Starro the Star Conquerer!?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Wasn't it a thing that due to some careless distribution deal, there were a LOT of cheap bootleg vhs copies of Vs Megalon in the US, such that for a lot of Americans growing up in the home video era it is their big impression of what a "Godzilla movie" even is? Like, Vs Megalon's ubiquity led to Godzilla's kinda chintzy goofy reputation over here?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

:eyepop: Holy poo poo

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Karloff posted:

Ah mate, now I gotta buy a subscription to apple.

This is cool! But I'm also surprised. A live-action Godzilla TV shows sounds really expensive, and all the other mega-budget streaming shows are based off things like Marvel, Star Wars and Lord of The Rings and Godzilla is far less of a guaranteed hit then them (King of the Monsters did flop after all), but if they're doing it that's very exciting to see.

You can totally do a cheap live action Godzilla tv show. Remember Zone Fighter? :v:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I guess crossing over with the Ultra series would be too on the nose

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Im not being hyperbolic, that moment when the crowd cheers is top 5 of discomforting experiences ive had while watching movies

For all the faults of Godzilla '98, it does an amazing job of making the monster sympathetic and its death kinda tragic, a sense of something wondrous removed from the world because humanity couldn't coexist with it.

There's a reason that the last shot with the surviving egg, which in most other movies would be a sinister "the nightmare is over...or is it?" moment, has a tone more of hope and triumph.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shiroc posted:

Breathless but its about a girl falling in and out of love with Godzilla parallel to the events of 1954 leading to him getting killed by the Oxygen Destroyer.

e: made it better

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

The hell is cold brew hot sauce

It's like hot brew cold sauce, but different

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

For something less silly here's a neat reinterpretation of Godzilla(with his take on Jet Jaguar for scale) from an artist I follow on Twitter;

https://twitter.com/Yotakuboi/status/1536715036852355074?t=eF3jy_8Y1zvpYdvNeNgKFA&s=19

He's also done takes on Mothra, Rodan, Gprosaurus, Titanosaurus, and is working on a take on Moguera right now

Big G needs a mani-pedi, dude looks like he's going through a Howard Hughes phase

Looks neat otherwise!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Just playing with AI text generator.

Dude was a real party animal in the 60s, kinda followed the Elvis trajectory. He filmed entire luau movies he doesn't even remember being in

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

moths posted:

Shin Ultraman was Real Good!

:hai:

I've heard it described as basically being three or four Superman movies edited together to fit two hours, mostly from the perspective of Lois and Jimmy Olsen, and that's pretty accurate. It's a kinda brutal pace, but at least it means nobody has the time to ask stupid questions or engage in artificial time-filling drama, it's all killer no filler.

Also, surprisingly funny. Especially if you interpret it as a sequel to Shin Godzilla and this is a window into a post-kaiju Japan that's adapted to a world where that sort of thing just happens from time to time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Singular Point is one of those entries into the Godzilla franchise where I wouldn't want every entry to be like it, but I'm glad that at least this one exists. True, nobody ever shuts up, but it's because everyone's desperately treading water dealing with high concept n-dimensional stuff that comes from a guy with a math doctorate writing about the premise of "what are the implications of something as seemingly physically impossible as Godzilla actually existing?"

Hell, I'll take that over that Planet of Monsters dreck, which also has characters never shutting the gently caress up, but more because they're too melodramatically stupid rather than being too smart.