Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Oh no
that cut was pretty terrible
full of Dr. Pepper and AMERICA gently caress YEAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

ElNarez posted:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B7%...E/dp/B01FUJN2LY

It is! Tracks 6, 7, 15, 16, 17 and 18. There's SIX variations on Decisive Battle in the soundtrack.

and 'Famously' of all things

that main theme and end title theme though

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
What about godzilla comics? Are there any recent good ones?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I think most people just expect every Godzilla film to be a dramatic allegory for nuclear warfare and such.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve been listening to the score non stop since it got put on Apple Music. It’s really good!

Rodan’s theme is kinda dope.

Considering its placement in the score I think Rodans Theme is less a general theme and more the music for his entire first appearance.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I dont think they could afford it

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Verisimilidude posted:

at the end of the day, Godzilla didn’t win because of its own strength, capability, or anything it has agency over. It won the day because humans nuked it which gave it super powers that allowed it to kill ghidora instantly and without any tension.

To be fair, humans interrupted him in the first place with that pesky superweapon of theirs.

Also the Mutos in 2014 were pretty smart for animals.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Teenage Fansub posted:

Madison! Madison! Where are you my baby girl Madison?!

See its an ironic echo of the opening scene.

Btw I saw everything perfectly, so maybe IMAX does help. (Even if its murder on my ears)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I also like that little moment of Mothra webbing up two heads and the third one just going 'oh crap' when Godzilla rushes in.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Man I can barely remember the humans in 2014 at all. Even less so that Charles Dance' character.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Burkion posted:

He, I think Battra is canonically Mothra's brother. Though hell I prefer to think Destroyah's a she so really do what you feel

So the reason why Battra is a bit of a gag. Mothra is called Mosura in Japanese because it's the English word Moth, combined with Ra, since the Japanese word for Moth is Ga.

The Japanese word for butterfly is Batafurai, which you would think would be the origin for Battra, but nope.

Their original name was Gigamoth, and was changed to Battra as a shortening of the words "Battle Mothra", and is referred to at one point in the movie as "Black Mothra".

So that's it really. Battle Mothra, becomes Battra.

Nothing to do with bats at all weirdly enough.

Also has the brattier set of twins

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

interfior posted:

Where is this from?

From the unfortunately not so good Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters comicbook series.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Arc Hammer posted:

I'll go to bat for G14 also having an incredible soundtrack. King of the Monsters beats it for letting Bear McCreary go wild with the Ifukube score and slamming his war drums into the mix but Alexandre Desplat made a really eerie sounding theme that still has those classic monster movie scare chords built in.

Desplat made a fantastic soundtrack for the movie indeed. Even little moments like the chinatown sequence.

And while McCreary's work is equally amazing, its a pity that the movie decided to bury the score underneath all that sfx.
Like the scene with Ghidorah's cry across the world should have gone loud with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xd07goJFmA&t=170s

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe I should have listened to the Minus One soundtrack on Spotify rather than Youtube. Now I'm getting dozens of "Minus One DESTROYS Woke Hollywood movies!" recommendations and I'm all like "no thanks, I'm good."

Oh I share your misery in that.
Still a great soundtrack at least.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm not going to go into too much detail but the final episode of monarch was really annoying just like all the other episodes. Maybe they can say everyone died in the events of KOTM if they want to make another season.

And most of the cast of KOTM died after that movie clearly

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mantis42 posted:

All that and she's one of the few monsters that can (indirectly) communicate with humanity thanks to the twins.

Hey Battra has twins too in one continuity.
Not that you would want those two to speak for Kaiju

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The only thing I remember from that movie is the haunting cry of Godzilla falling into the volcano.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
GvK had somewhat better fights, but thats about it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
KOTM had the best soundtrack but the worst treatment since it gets absolutely buried under soundeffects half the time.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Nomi Malone tops every category.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Clearly what Godzilla VS Mothra needed was two evil twins to summon Battra.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mothra here and that is cool and all, but my sibling is King Ghidorah which explains a lot.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just rewatched Godzilla KOTM. Holy poo poo I forgot how loving annoying the script was. They were trying so hard to be funny. From memory GvK was not this annoying whatsoever. Like straight up serious scenes are cut by the randomest of quips and jokes. Tonal whiplash all over the place.

Even the best scene (Rodans) had some cuts showing off the comical reactions of everyone on the flying ship. It was annoying I agree.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Failson posted:

Finally finished Return of Godzilla. Nice buildup, but as soon as Godzilla appears, everything slows to a crawl. It's fine, just, mediocre.

The score is terrible though

But my childhood memories!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLVkw0HLT_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mantis42 posted:

The other thing that annoyed is how, for a film that apes so much of Spielberg, it employed little of his cinematic language to make Godzilla's appearance impactful or suspenseful. He just appears in the frame. They don't even bother to score him until halfway through the move. When he comes out of water he doesn't even make waves. This is the least awe inspiring Godzilla has ever been in a solo film. Less so than the 98 film, even.

I mean just because they dont use his standard theme does not mean his scenes were scored without music