Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Statement Do You Agree With?
Hillary Clinton is not qualified to be President
Bernie Sanders is not qualified to be President
Trump Steaks are the world's greatest steaks and I mean that in every sense of the word.
View Results

• Locked thread
Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu posted:

http://time.com/4295548/democratic-debate-ninth-brooklyn-transcript-full-text/

Start with "BASH: Secretary Clint, the government announced yesterday that five of the biggest banks on Wall Street have failed to develop plans to dismantle themselves in the event of another financial crisis. This is the second time in two years those banks neglected to come up with credible plans. So, as president, would you call on regulators to start the process of breaking up these banks? Something that the law not only allows, but actually explicitly encourages?"

Settlements should actively be discouraged because it's already a big enough of a problem that the SEC loves to settle things outside of court, even when the New York DA Office is gung ho about it. The banks win if the only thing they get slapped with for criminal behavior is a fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Learned one thing from the debate; you better hope one of them wins in November.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Immortan posted:

Learned one thing from the debate; you better hope one of them wins in November.

For sure Trump or Cruz.

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club
i tuned into fox news and they are feeling the bern

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
CNN's video stream brought to you by RealPlayer

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Im sure goldman sachs, a company worth $50 billion, has learned its lesson with the $5 billion fine they got, it sure sill show them for destroying the us economy and making $20 billion of its destruction.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Cop pulling over Bugatti for running a stop sign, haha, bet youll think twice next time you dont come to a complete stop in my neighborhood.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Bernie could have won this thing with just one childish nickname for his opponent.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
They're not even paying 5 billion, we're actually giving them money to give us money for something illegal that they did:

quote:

But that is just on paper. Buried in the fine print are provisions that allow Goldman to pay hundreds of millions of dollars less — perhaps as much as $1 billion less — than that headline figure. And that is before the tax benefits of the deal are included.

The bank will be able to reduce its bill substantially through a combination of government incentives and tax credits. For example, the settlement calls for Goldman to spend $240 million on affordable housing. But a chart attached to the settlement explains that the bank will have to pay at most only 30 percent of that money to fulfill the deal. That is because it will receive a particularly large credit for each dollar it spends on affordable housing.

JPMorgan Chase, for instance, earned a $1.15 credit toward its settlement requirements for each dollar of loan forgiveness it offered within the first year, according to the settlement it completed in 2013. Goldman, in contrast, is getting $1.50 of credit for each dollar of loan forgiveness within the first six months after the settlement — an additional incentive that JPMorgan did not receive. JPMorgan also did not get the 70 percent discount on money going to affordable housing.

Chase got similar incentives with their settlement. I'm sure the public thinks any less of them for it too.

Dead Cosmonaut has issued a correction as of 05:20 on Apr 15, 2016

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

They're not even paying 5 billion:

But that is just on paper. Buried in the fine print are provisions that allow Goldman to pay hundreds of millions of dollars less — perhaps as much as $1 billion less — than that headline figure. And that is before the tax benefits of the deal are included.

The bank will be able to reduce its bill substantially through a combination of government incentives and tax credits. For example, the settlement calls for Goldman to spend $240 million on affordable housing. But a chart attached to the settlement explains that the bank will have to pay at most only 30 percent of that money to fulfill the deal. That is because it will receive a particularly large credit for each dollar it spends on affordable housing.

Yeah I thought about adding in the stuff about soft money, theres a goof nyt article about it written in laymans for the most part.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Is there a good defense against nationalizing banks? At least that way the billions they siphon from the economy could be recycled into social programs and infrastructure instead of buying new private jets or yachts or w.e.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ace of Baes posted:

Is there a good defense against nationalizing banks? At least that way the billions they siphon from the economy could be recycled into social programs and infrastructure instead of buying new private jets or yachts or w.e.

Are you interested in hearing some pearl clutching about the size of the federal government?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Hey I was watching The Jungle Book in 3D during the debates so I missed them. Did Bernie do well? Is he going to win New York now?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Demonachizer posted:

Hey I was watching The Jungle Book in 3D during the debates so I missed them. Did Bernie do well? Is he going to win New York now?

The debate summed up: :words::words:

What it means: :shrug:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Demonachizer posted:

Yes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lemme guess, "nothing changed the the moderators are awful"? I played FO4 while listening to podcasts instead because that's more unwindy than a debate and I needed to unwind

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Epic High Five posted:

lemme guess, "nothing changed the the moderators are awful"? I played FO4 while listening to podcasts instead because that's more unwindy than a debate and I needed to unwind

:siren::siren:WE HAVE A WINNER:siren::siren:

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Vox Nihili posted:

If Republicans had an iota of sense they'd just confirm Garland now and lock in a relatively moderate court. That's what they've got anyway with the 4-4 dealie.

The people in charge of the decision aren't up for any tough match-ups in 2016 and are playing for 2018 and future primaries. Not gonna happen.

If dem wins the WH then that means they flipped the senate too and they'll nuke the filibuster for scotus noms if they don't confirm the nominee then.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Vox Nihili posted:

The alternative is keeping up the charade like Romney/Rove^10 until the final hours and then getting crushed regardless. Maybe they still hope to get around the Trump/Cruz thing and pick Kasich or something, but even with a very lukewarm Hillary it's really tough to imagine good odds for the GOP.

I think the GOP has a decent chance if they give Kasich the nomination. July-Nov is a long time to unify against a candidate they all hate.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Demonachizer posted:

In summary: Bernie can't elucidate on his own campaign platform, Hillary is way too cavalier about Israel killing a bunch of Palestinians, the winning campaign keeps trying to focus on Trump and the losing campaign doubled down on how they're totally going to win, also the moderators are terrible.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I didn't watch that whole thing but a friend posted the transcripts thing on FB and, um, she's really scummy. She's still going to be the next president, but wow what a weasely response to that question.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Demonachizer posted:

How was Jungle Book

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

How was Jungle Book

It was cute enough. I don't remember the original cartoon but my wife who does says it is mostly a remake of that. I kind of hate 3d movies though. I keep forgetting to take the glasses with me so I can make a pair of 2d glasses to wear. If you use two of the same polarity lens you can watch it without that weird headachey feeling that some get.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the TV was turned to the debate for a few minutes before we fired up Netflix and everyone repeatedly commented on how Hillary was disgusting to listen to and fake as poo poo

on Bernie: not a very good speaker

condolences on your next President, :911:

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Mitt Romney posted:

I think the GOP has a decent chance if they give Kasich the nomination. July-Nov is a long time to unify against a candidate they all hate.

Not a chance in gently caress, you're kidding yourself if you think they'll survive handing it over to the dude that lost almost every state. There will be literal riots.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Also yall need to stop looking at general election matchup polls because they mean nothing. Kasiach polls well now for the same reason bernie does, the other side barely knows who the gently caress they are.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'll just play it straight:

If you think Missouri isn't in the south, you've clearly never driven through the Ozarks, and you've definitely never stopped for gas there.

MO feels just as racist as the south but slightly more polite about it. The trick is that people don't have the southern accent (depends where)

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Wheeee posted:

the TV was turned to the debate for a few minutes before we fired up Netflix and everyone repeatedly commented on how Hillary was disgusting to listen to and fake as poo poo

on Bernie: not a very good speaker

condolences on your next President, :911:

you missed the defining spectacle of the campaign you dork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Mitt Romney posted:

american voters would still probably have to learn who john kasich is and actually sit and listen to his boring rear end talk at some point though and that's a pretty steep hill to climb. plus kasich is actually significantly to the right of romney, mccain, w, etc. on lots of issues and is really only a "moderate" by comparison to the other republicans

also a convention ratfucking might cripple the republican party for a generation

giving up the presidency for four more years might actually seem like the safer choice to a lot of people

• Locked thread