Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Killer Instinct is a pretty good game with a super great pc port that's one of the best games at making itself transparent (good tutorial, frame data and hitbox viewer baked in, etc.) out right now. It also has the gold standard in fighting game netcode in my opinion and the pc version supports crossplay with xbone, meaning it comes with a decent sized community already going strong. Just saying, y'all should play it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Hey I haven't posted in a while. Just dropping by to list the good fighting games:

• Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
  • Killer Instinct (the new one)
  • Tekken (all of them)
  • Guilty Gear (also all of them)

Thanks for reading.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
This dude is actually more Ryu than Ryu is Ryu:

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
"zand" more like "grandstanding old man" am i rite or what fellas????

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Tekken 4 was pretty imbalanced but it was a super experimental game that gave rise to a lot of the super cool poo poo in the current games, mad respect :respek: for takin those risks

Also it gave Jin this throw which is still the coolest single throw ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9uk4qVUudo&t=1067s

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Account suspended, what did it say?

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Zand posted:

every time someone who doesnt play fgs describes the fg they want to play it usually turns out that they dont actually want to play fighting games

This is what's happening, yes.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Based on what you've already said it really seems like this is my best possible suggestion for you: http://store.steampowered.com/app/291550/

If you really want to go the route of "A Study In Fighting Games" you should definitely play a lot of ST first (I would recommend this even if it wasn't 100% free, but it is, so definitely do this). If you want to try something more modern and have access to Windows 10/Xbox One I would recommend Killer Instinct since that game has an incredibly useful combo-assist system to ease you into it and also has the combo breaker mechanics which allow you to still "play" even while being hit 117 times. It also has the benefit of being really well-made/balanced and has a pretty sensible f2p model, you could get away with spending only 5 or 10 bucks ever if you know what character you want to run with out of the gate.

P.S. The Warden poo poo you're talking about in FH isn't a true infinite and he's not anywhere near broken, please stop talking about it.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I probably wouldn't touch it if I lived in America, too big.

You'd never get into America anyway, Trump just signed a new immigration order that you have to beat him ft5 to enter the country and I hear he plays a real scumbag team

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://clips.twitch.tv/PeacefulMushyBisonNerfBlueBlaster

LI Joe's face here is the best thing I've ever seen in my life.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://www.ultra-combo.com/3-7-patch-notes/

I know there's only like 2 other people that care about KI but what the gently caress are these Jago nerfs????? They've nerfed him in like the last 4 patches as well holy poo poo.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://twitter.com/g0th1cycle/status/842813199825158145

Shin Hisako released a couple days early! I went ahead and picked her up (only :5bux:) and she seems really cool so far, very offense-oriented. She can do disgustingly long-range pokes into rekkas which gives really decent damage (I actually expect it to be nerfed) for a 1 chance break combo. She also has some REALLY good + on block normals for meaties, so in addition to her tricky teleport/cross-up stuff she can do some pretty strong standard pressure too. Also has a real DP, meterless even, and of course can instinct cancel it into a juggle and/or some kind of pressure setup into the spooky hand vortex that hangs out on the ground during her instinct.

Anyway, looking to play my 0-day Shin Hisako vs. some peeps tonight or this weekend in general if any KI people are around!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Zand posted:

stop

wait for a sale on a good stick

dont expect to spend less than 150. i just got a razer panthera w/ all sanwa parts for 150 shipped during a sale the other day. sales happen frequently, especially around big tournaments. sticks to look out for: MadCatz TE2+, Razer Panthera, Qanba obsidian, and to a lesser extent the HRAP4 Kai. Don't waste your money on trash that you upgrade later, get something good right out the gate.

if you want to be cheap buy a pad

also agreeing with this post

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
The left-handed are scum.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

As a lefty, I can't imagine using the stick in my right hand and don't really know why that would be considered left-handed.

As far as I'm concerned the default configuration is left-handed and all the normies are just playing weird. Why would you use your dominant hand just to press buttons I can literally use any meat appendage to do that.

I've had this thought about guitar as well, why do righties use their weak hand to do all that crazy rear end fret work and then literally just bang their stupid fingers against the strings with their strong hand??????????

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Y_t8ND4z4

Just linking this ancient vid because it's so good I just think about it randomly sometimes, and then have to go watch it again, and only 10k view is a crime cause that poo poo is loving art. You're welcome.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

skit herre posted:

/e: I really miss the SA FG Discord. Well, life has consequences.

Listen, you are 100% free to hang out you just really need to knock off the attention seeking behavior (hint: don't talk about drugs you're doing or booze you're drinking, especially don't do it all the time like literally all the time)

Also I'm sure someone's said this to you before but just to make sure, fighting games are honestly a universally terrible thing to do as a single player experience. If you're going to bother with them I recommend picking a game that seems interesting and play huge sets with chill people (which is 99% of fighting game people I've come across, including goons) and get what you can out of that. If you're lucky you'll discover a process of discovery and self-improvement that is both fun and exciting!

Trykt fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 25, 2017

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUck

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcoMiUtDNeE&t=58s

Everybody please look at how sick and dope Yoshimitsu combos are, thank you.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IxSj1bbtTs&t=674s

Here's another incredibly sick round. Everyone please play Tekken, thanks in advance.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
If i had to re-invent the human experience from scratch I would at least keep
1. blowjobs
2. boobs
3. playing ST on a head to head cab

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
What's my best option for a stick that works on both Xbone and PS4?

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Join the FG discord and play KI with me ya'll

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Play through the whole Dojo and then gimmie 5 minutes to make you a scrub destroyer with TJ Combo, it'll be fun and cool I promise.

edit: Warning there's a part where they try to teach you to do a safe on block move doing Jago's qcb+MK move. This move USED to be safe but they made it unsafe in the last patch so you'll get punished! They didn't update the tutorial. Just skip this lesson when you get to it (I believe you can move on to the rest of the lessons anyway)

Trykt fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 29, 2017

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Imagine, if you will, a world where you can do 40% damage combos just by pressing all 6 attack buttons in whatever order you want. Friendo, that world is REALITY.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Trykt fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 31, 2017

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Cool poo poo about KI that may not be apparent to newcomers:

• Not all combo breaking is guess work, there's a LOT in the game you can react to. When you learn what's reactable it makes the guessing considerably easier, as well.
  • You can't combo break the very beginning or the very end of combos. You also can't break on projectile hits.
  • Doing block strings (even with just simple, 2-hit moves) is often risky because Shadow Counters exist. If you have 1 bar and you make a good guess you can completely turn the momentum of the match around.
  • Chip kills exist but are rare. Most matches end with an Ultra combo because they're an unbreakable way to remove the last ~10% health from an opponent.

Also every character has multiple unique mechanics including how their Instinct mode works, special properties on normals, special exceptions to the combo system, etc. You sometimes get really weird match-ups from this, for example Aria cannot heal "Potential Damage" (the white flashing life) unless she switches forms (like switching our characters to heal red life in Marvel). When she fights Cinder, he's a character that specializes in piling on tons of Potential Damage even outside of combos. Cinder can get huge chunks of any or all 3 of her lifebars flashing white and essentially one touch kill her different forms on his next hit. General Raam can also do this, but in a much different way.

Play KI ya'll, it's neat.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

In Training posted:

I downloaded KI to give it a shot since people were talking about it and I can't even figure out where the hell it installed on my computer.

Windows Apps folder, which is hidden by default. You also have to change the owner of the folder from "Trusted Installer" to yourself

https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsapps-folder-windows-10/

Then Microsoft.KillerInstinct-Win10.somethingsomethingsomething

Trykt fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 31, 2017

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Jumps in that game look really awful but everything else looks dope as heck

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
UA Bass has been posting some really great Killer Instinct sets lately, just thought I'd share a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rLanG-4HIc
Gargos vs. Eyedol, both really good players, the Eyedol in particular is great at showing off how dirty that character can be during Instinct mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5BKMAkO0rg
Shin Hisako vs. Kan Ra, really rare to see a good Kan Ra and this guy is REALLY good. The Shisako player, Charbok, is responsible for developing a lot of her current tech i.e. oki setups with the orb

P.S. really GG's with Tumps today, thanks for playing, had a great time. Looking forward to seeing what you figure out with Arbiter!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
In Killer Instinct there's a resource management element that comes into play with the lifebars not refilling. In KI your Instinct meter fills up from taking damage. It's full around 70% damage taken. So you have a window of ~30% of your healthbar to activate instinct mode and do stuff with it, which is important because instinct mode is typically really powerful and can swing the momentum of the game in your favor just by activating it. The act of activating instinct itself is powerful too because it causes a screen freeze with 0 recovery to the activating character, so they can use it as a way to react to mix-ups, or allow them to make unsafe moves safe, or even get hit-confirms off things that normally can't be followed up on.

So if you play "correctly" you should get 2 instinct activations per game, with each instinct mode lasting 15 seconds. But maybe you don't pop it in time and you end up only getting 1 activation that game, that's a pretty significant resource disadvantage.

Psychologically it also has an effect where like, once you put them at their 2nd healthbar it feels like any additional damage you do to them while you're still on your 1st healthbar is "free" or "extra". If you were down to your last 5% of your 1st healthbar but you take a nice chunk off their 2nd one before they bring you down to your 2nd, it feels like a mini victory of its own. It creates a very plain to see advantage that doesn't exist in regular healthbar-refilling rounds. It's interesting.

I agree that I don't really have a preference or belief that one type of doing it is objectively better, though. Really KI does what it does because the old KI games did it, and THEY did it, I'm pretty sure, just as a way to try and be different from Street Fighter.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 2, 2017

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Keegers posted:

How is ki population after the world's tournament? Last time I tried to play I couldn't find a match outside of discord.

Population is actually quite good, especially since it has cross play with Xbone. It's not uncommon for people to have an issue where matchmaking doesn't work though, usually it has something to do with your NAT being strict or something like that. In ranked it takes me less than 10 seconds to find a match any time of day.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
The $40 is a really good value IMO, and you actually can't unlock anyone besides Jago for free. If you know exactly what character you want to play then you could get away with paying $5 or $10 ever for the life of the game, but if you think you'd like to play multiple characters then I'd definitely recommend the definitive edition. Reminder that on top of the game itself being solid (in my opinion), it has a lot of important quality of life features including in-game frame data and hitbox viewers in training mode, a mode dedicated to training how to break combos against any character, actual GGPO for the netcode, best 2 out of 3 sets for ranked play (for the top 2 divisions, Gold and Killer), and a pretty bangin soundtrack. Check out the Shin Hiskao and Chief Thunder themes, they're good as heck!!!

Reddit actually has a pretty good Killer Instinct community and they run tournaments every so often. They have two tournaments coming up this month, a new players tournament on April 15th, and a regular tournament on April 29th

I signed up for the regular tournament, hopefully will be a good test of where I am in my practice before Combo Breaker!

Here's their discord if you want somewhere besides the goon discord to learn about the game and find games with people.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 3, 2017

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Spuckuk posted:

Is KI playable between, for instance, good connections from EU to east coast?

Yes, I play with Zeipher often and he's in Norway, I'm in North Carolina. It is really pretty extraordinary how good it feels, they're doing some loving kind of wizardry.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://twitter.com/hotashis/status/691044477952266241

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Posting for Tumps, here's an Arbiter that poo poo on me pretty hard last night, if you care to watch and look for ideas:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/133527052?t=04m23s

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Yeah if KI was just Street Fighter with combo breakers it would feel awful, but they basically went the opposite way of SF5 and gave every character ridiculously good and powerful things that would be extremely overpowered in a "normal" fighting game like SF. Since very little in KI is actually guaranteed it's basically fine for otherwise overpowered poo poo to exist. And the OP stuff is pretty fun to use!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
killer instinct more like killer fartstink am i rite

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Brosnan posted:

Just go in Goonsgarden and find player matches, you might even learn a thing or two!

Yeah there's a good number of GG players in the discord server, pretty wide skill range. I bought Rev when it came out but am just now coming back to it, trying to learn some Sol poo poo now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Anyone have any suggestions for how to remove this red sealer gunk from the screws inside my TE?