Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
New Tokyo is just conquered China, its a syi-fi movie let their imaginations go wild! What are the chances that all the changes make sense in converting ghost in the shell into an hollywood movie or this is just the "yang" to Edge of Tomorrow in terms of quality? Then how much does that quality actually matter to you?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Young Freud posted:

So, the Art of GITS artbook came out and it has some very spoilerific images worthy of discussion and/or anger...

gently caress this gay Earth

She was a Japanese person all along! Its like Tropic Thunder!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift, they take a make Ford Mustang '67, with a Skyline GT-R RB26DETT engine salvaged from Han's Nissan Silvia. Talk about white washing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I don't even understand what to be offended about in this picture!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

HIJK posted:

:lol: those spoilers my goodness. I'm surprised they acknowledged the movie's roots at all.

They could of called it Lady Robo Cop.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 19, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a Blu ray set for the stand alone TV show? All I can find is what looks like a movie based on the show?

There might be an over priced dvd set on amazon.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm thinking about diving in to some of this stuff, there's the two movies, SAC, and something called arise?

Just watch anything really, but the tv series was the best stuff made about the about it, in my opinion. First and the second season, the second season really opens up with some of the other team characters. Watch Arise if you really like the series.

One of my favorite ones is where Saito tells a story about how he met the major, I think its also the episode he talks the most. Some of the best episodes don't even have the major in them. The second season has a better build up at the end because all that happens in the first season is that a crazy intelligent person finds out something bad and crazy being done but does not want to fight and just finds the major and tells her everything. Even the side characters get action at the end of the second season even if all it is just punching some guy trying to carjack them which is related to the plot.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 20, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

dont even fink about it posted:

The movie looks amusing and I am excited about live action transhumanism, which has only really been technically feasible in the last few years.

Go watch Transcendence, where Johnny Depp plays an action version of Ray Kurzweil.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did they really dehumanize Murphy into a literal tool of oppression if he was already a cop before that?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I wanna see Robo Cop's bad days where he just gets to sit in police HQ eating apple sauce. Robo Cop would have to beable to poo poo right? I bet he always has the runs!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So does female robo cop really need breasts? Couldn't that just been some more inches of robo-steel?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Reverse Banana the Movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mithaldu posted:

I loved the part at the start where it explains what Ghost in the Shell means, as if talking to a grade schooler.

What does ghost in the shell mean?
How did Batou get robot eyes?
Why is the Major a robot person?
These are some questions that I was never really interested in about the series but they answer them all in the first 30 minutes of the movie. Just got back from the movie myself and not too sure what to think.

They crammed scenes from a lot of scenes from across the series into this movie almost to the point its like a star wars prequel,
Arise: memory issues.
gits95: dump truck/false memory, spider tank, jumping through the window scene, puppet master end scene.
SAC: Doctor and the needles.
SAC2ndgig: kuze, refugees, uploading the refugees.
Innocence, geisha robots and the Yakuza bar shoot out

All these tied together to make a 100 minute movie. The movie jumped around so much it was almost comical. Armaki only talking in Japanese was almost annoying.

To say something nice about the movie, it's like DmC to Devil May Cry.

Junior Jr. posted:

I was confused on how they dealt with the 'white washing', so they arrest a japanese girl, and change her whole body with western facial prosthetics to make her blend in with the natives of Neo Tokyo while working for Section 9? also according to her real mother, she was an 'anti-tech activist' pffft lol.

If their only goal was to make a female robot cop, why did they even go through such lengths and illegality? You would think such a large company would have access to people wanting to be robot people and not have to resort to kidnapping people and turning them into robot cop. One thing better about all of the original content is that robot people are normal and not alarming to anyone in that universe and they already know how to make robot people. This movie could have almost been called Deus Ex and no one would have noticed.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Schwarzwald posted:

In RoboCop, the OCP orchestrate Murphy's dead to begin with.

OCP had to do it because they already planned to remake Escape from the Bronx with Robocop 3.

starkebn posted:

They're still making movies in 3D?

It's a gimmick that is prob here to stay.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 1, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

starkebn posted:

"we could ask someone with MS to undergo this procedure, but nah - let's violate some poors man!"

Those art book photos make it look peaceful too!

Ah man I just remembered, turning people into robot people against their will is just Solid State Society all over again. There was no way they could top Togusa getting hacked and taking his daughter to the robot doctor to get turned into a robot. They jammed alot of poo poo into this movie.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 1, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So are you deliberately ignoring the context where the character is obviously trying (and failing) to calm a patient after an amputation.

Take it easy no one amputated a whole person's body before! Makes both robocops look like the lucky ones.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

frank.club posted:

I personally found action scenes to be really unfulfilling.

The sniper rifles did't explode heads! This is a lovely vision of the future.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't understand how they can take so much source material from all the different gits shows and they choose not to copy how they have sniper rifles that can explode heads.

They copy the same scene and only change that part.

frank.club posted:

People's heads don't get exploded in John Wick (too fiercely) but the choreography and pacing of the fights in the first movie are great.

People's heads don't explode in John Wick because it is not a Sci-fi movie "based" on gits.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 1, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

frank.club posted:

Well, GITS2017 had to have a pg13 rating to sell. Maybe exploding robots is a step to far?

Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith has a PG-13 rating, and they have Anakin Skywalker cut off Count Dooku's hands and head in the first 30 minutes.

They show Refugees get Space Station 13'd into robots but they cant show a robot head explode?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Junior Jr. posted:

The spidertank scene overall was total garbage, let me count the ways...

• The spidertank just showed up in the last scene with no establishment or explanation other than 'remember this from the '95 film? here it is I guess'. They could've done a scene beforehand where Motoko sees the tank do a weapons test, where it shoots up a bunch of test dummies to smithereens, highlighting that the tank is highly dangerous (like how brutal the ED-209 can gently caress up just one guy) and could pose as a major threat to her, adding in some foreshadowing too.
  • The tank could've just shot Kuze square in the face instead of adding extra pacing for Major to attack it again. I may be nagging about typical action/superhero movie clichés, but if Kuze really was a dangerous threat to this futuristic city, wouldn't Cutter just put him down immediately?
  • Motoko opening the tank's hatch was laughably bad. In the original film she used up all her cyborg body strength to open it, and the friction between them was so strong it strained the gently caress out of her limbs, she basically hulked out and destroyed most of her body. Possibly implying that this was her last stand. There was no way the adaptation could recreate that because the imagery and realism would look so absurd, all she did was grow and stressed a few of her muscles and lose her arms.
  • While this isn't that much of a nag, it would've been nice to see a callback to the deep dive, but with Motoko and Kuze this time. There could be an emotional moment where they joined together like a family (because of their backstory), then the helicopter comes and kills Kuze and what's left of him in the deep dive. Then Batou saves Motoko at the last second before her mind was corrupted and destroyed. I guess that would've shown how deep their relationship was.

I liked how the leader of the company drove the tank like Hugh Jackman in Chappie.

I'm gonna get you robots in my robot! Calm down Mr president we got a guy that can drive the tank!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 1, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

movie just had loud generic Deus Ex souding

I swear, when the major scans the room before she jumps through the window, I heard Deus Ex music.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 2, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Elman posted:

The robot geisha at the start did say something weird like "please don't let me die" that seemed to hint at Innocence's plot.

But the way this movie's being received, I doubt it'll happen.

They used up content from like every series of Gits, they would have to actually make a new movie this time, lol. This movie clearly dug the mine clean. They fracked Gits!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing What kind of water did they use?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 2, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They used to show it on adult swim. :shrug: at 4 am.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like how in gits95 the spider tank appears for the ending sequence but its more like an ambush and no one is supposed to know its there.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Young Freud posted:

Some of the blame is put onto Johansson for not being more proactive toward promoting the film...

How can an actor have any blame here?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
For those who have seen 'Live Die Repeat', I recommend reading 'All you need is Kill', the series it was based on. I think you can find it on google translated for free(?). Just compare how that series was turned into American movie and how much source material they even needed to use.

It's a comic book, not like a book book.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

fivegears4reverse posted:

Not only that, The Manga for All you need is Kill is really bad on pretty much every level.

I thought the manga was very pretty and cool and told a more complete story than the American movie did.

I really want to stress how little they used of the source material to make the American movie. I don't know japanese so I'll never read the book, so someone else would have to point out that they used alot more for me.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 3, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Does the novel still have a scene where they make coffee? I thought that was the only place the movie and manga even connected.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rough Lobster posted:

I liked her giant helicopter blade sword from the movie better than the axe.

They both fight with battle axes in the manga.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mithaldu posted:

That setpiece isn't an action scene imo. It's too deliberate, too tactical. It feels more like watching a play of chess. Move, consideration, move, consideration, move, consideration, ...

Half the fights they didn't show any people fighting either, you only see people flying or falling over. ACTION FALLING.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdcjJoXeEY

I hope no one ever tries to pull off the producers in real life.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My favorite part is how it took all the source material, that's like a Twinkie.

And they sucked out all the white filling goodness and then used it all to make a single movie. When there is only the yummy filling with nothing to contrast it then nothing is special.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its like the pies in Revenge of the Nerds, that just a pie tin and whipped topping.

At least they only charged like a dollar or something.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LashLightning posted:

So, was Kuze just mind controlling everyone involved in his plot to put his mind in cyberspace, or did he have an actual following?

In Gits 2nd SAC, he wanted to help refugees to upload their brains to the internet so they could be free and not live in slums. I think in this he used morty dumb waves to hide his rick smart waves so he could hack the major?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bugblatter posted:

The latter isn't the case with the new Chinese/American co-productions, much of the Asian market can actually weigh heavier than the US market on some of these.

That said, thinking that an international gross in the 150m range would have it already profitable is ridiculous. They would somehow need to be taking 100% ticket sales from theaters worldwide and have spent $0 on advertising. There's no way it gets remotely close to sequel territory at this rate.

Well they used all the source material for this movie, they never planned to make a sequel.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ersatz posted:

... unless they bomb so hard that the local theaters pull them before you have the chance to see them. :(

No doubt cinematic masterpiece "Boss Baby" will be around for months though.

I bet Boss Baby is more rewatchable than this pile of CGI-arbage.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Put your money where your mouth is & watch Boss Baby twice.

Dear god.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

K. Waste posted:

Whitewashing is just a symptom of white supremacy.

This is the Reich Hitler spoke of!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I can't wait for the future of the superman movie with a black actor as superman.

Tell you the truth, Hollywood has already stolen comic book characters and made them black for no reason. Kingpin, one of the most feared and powerful crime lords in the Marvel Universe, played by Michael Clarke Duncan.

Guess they didn't think a white guy playing Kingpin would have been believable.

Why did no one cry for you Kingpin?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I watched the poo poo out of this trilogy back when blockbuster existed. drat they made 5 movies total!

• Locked thread