Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

Incidentally, have there been any examples of actual Japanese people in Japan being upset about this?

The issue isn't about Japanese people in Japan. It's about asian people in America. No one gives a poo poo about the casting of the live action Attack on Titan because Japan is 98% Japanese and the other 2% are mostly from other asian nations.

America is much more diverse. Under the age of 5 we're already in a majority-minority situation. But the representation of that diversity is still incredibly skewed in the media we make, especially when it comes to lead roles. If asian performers are already having a hard time making it big, it becomes that much more frustrating when they see big roles get whitewashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm kind of leery of the whole "they stole your life" thing because it just seems stupid. Why would you bother "stealing" someone and erasing their memories? There are tons of dying people you could pop into a full body prosthetic that would work exactly as well with no mustache twirling. Hell, I'm sure there are military dudes like Bato who would volunteer for the procedure. It reminds me of the comic We-3, where they decided to include the stupid detail that the animal cyborgs were originally housepets. THERE IS NO DOG SHORTAGE! THE EVIL LAB DID NOT HAVE TO STEAL A GOLDEN RETRIEVER TO GET THEIR HANDS ON ONE!

Maybe they have a good answer but I dunno...

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Sure, but again, there are tons of kids with congenital defects or cancer or whatever that would serve just as well. Having to give up your super awesome cyborg body for a crappy box on wheels is still superior to dying at age 4 or whatever.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 9, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Looks like they're going for the dumbest possible angle just like I feared.

Let's abduct a random person and erase their memories when making a cyborg super cop. What? Use an actual terminally ill patient or just a straight up volunteer? That would be ridiculous! It's a known fact that being super evil is good for your stock!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

starkebn posted:

I don't get that from the trailer. I just think the "bad guy" might be saying poo poo to get his own way. Don't take everything on face value.

Did you miss the whole "you promised us a clean brain!" and "we'll have to terminate" from the latest one?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It's funny how much of the conversations yall are having was already present in the source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQDbxw8ErAE&t=990s

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

While I'm engaging in defenses against some of the less sensical arguments, regarding why they can't use volunteers: [spoiler]It's because of what Hanka is doing with the minds after a successful surgery. Erasing all memories and implanting false ones so that the subject can be easily controlled as a soldier is explicitly illegal within the movie's world, even if they could find volunteers. So, Hanka looks for people whose deaths can be reported with little inquiry or concern from the larger public, like homeless anti-government runaways in a police scuffle.[/spoilers]

I was defending the performance, not the writing. With screenplays pitched at a large audience, you're normally looking for a balance between realism and immediacy. Normally when they err it's toward the latter. As was the case here.

FWIW, explaining the terminology and tech of its world has been something GitS has always struggled with and been one of the worst points with most of its incarnations. The manga just stuck giant clunky paragraphs of text explaining exactly what a shell was in very basic terms at the bottom of the page. SAC turned those paragraphs into stilted conversations told in mickey mouse voices by cutesy robots. Oshii manages to use the terms in sentences that feel natural to the characters, but are designed to give context to the terms for the viewer. I think he did it best, but then several series fans (in this thread even) complain that his films were too difficult to understand.

At least the film didn't break into a glorified powerpoint, as these movies tend to.

It's still rank movie villian stupidity because they could just say "we saved your life but you may have some memory loss" and the volunteer/terminally ill patient wouldn't know any better. No need for abducting anyone or faking deaths involved.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This is dumb. She is Japanese. When the Japanese draw themselves, they don't go "Ohh I better draw slanty eyes and buck teeth!" because they are the majority. A stick figure is Japanese to a Japanese person. You would have to give the stick figure a big nose and blonde hair for it to be a Westerner because that is how poo poo is coded there.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Oh.

Then why are some characters in GitS media drawn more closely coded to Asian features? Is that "styled as a specific ethnicity"?

Because you're interpreting "squinty eyes" as "styled as asian" when it just means "squinty eyes".

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

Because you're interpreting "squinty eyes" as "styled as asian" when it just means "squinty eyes".

Here, let me expand on this a little.

This is Pazu, a minor character in Section 9.

You might look at him and think he looks "more asian" than the other characters. But the features like the narrow eyes and deep lines in the brow are actually communicating that the dude is shady. And indeed, the dude is an ex Yakuza. The markers that you see are handed down by your culture, not divinely granted truth.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Oh.

So nothing means anything, all is interpretive, appearance depicts character traits more than anything else (therefore, you cannot "style someone as a specific ethnicity"), and the ethnicity of all the characters is basically unknowable based on physical appearance then?

Weird.

You can, but those characteristics are culture bound and just because you think she doesn't look asian enough doesn't mean that you're right in interpreting the markers correctly.

As far as I know there is only one canonically Western character in GITS95.

He has blonde hair, blue eyes, and a giant loving nose.

The Puppetmaster may or may not be a Caucasian version of Motoko's body model, but they don't stack the giant nose on there because it's important that it's almost identical because it serves as a distorted mirror version of the Major.

:edit:

Ohh wait there's also the interpreter. Let's see what she looks like.

Hmmmm...

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 6, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

If you put robot eyes on that guy and lightened his hair, he'd look just like Batou. What does that mean?

That you may be functionally blind. But still yes, Bato is much more racially ambiguous than anyone else in the cast. Sometimes his name is romanized as french, Bateau. Shirow Masamune has stated that he's styled after a minotaur.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 6, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Because "styling someone" is not the same as "explicitly stating". This is not a complex idea.

I'm not the one with problems of reading comprehension.

How can he be racially ambiguous if his appearance doesn't correlate to anything except character traits, as you outlined with Paz?

Mostly because he has extremely pale hair, not blonde mind you, and because the giant nose of a bull head has some overlap with the westerners all have giant noses thing. Racial markers exist, but they're not the same racial markers you use because you didn't grow up in Japan. You're missing the meaning of some of them and misinterpreting others.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zzulu posted:

someone post that video of japanese people reacting with joy to the news that Scarlett would be playing the Major. I feel like it's a nice contrast to all the discussion that is being had by exclusively white dudes on the internet about whitewashing

Here's a post I made ages ago in this thread. It's almost like we're rehashing the same arguments over and over with idiots who don't know how to read.

7c Nickel posted:

The issue isn't about Japanese people in Japan. It's about asian people in America. No one gives a poo poo about the casting of the live action Attack on Titan because Japan is 98% Japanese and the other 2% are mostly from other asian nations.

America is much more diverse. Under the age of 5 we're already in a majority-minority situation. But the representation of that diversity is still incredibly skewed in the media we make, especially when it comes to lead roles. If asian performers are already having a hard time making it big, it becomes that much more frustrating when they see big roles get whitewashed.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

People didn't pay to see Scarlett either, so...? Also how do you know people won't pay to see them? Hm

Well it's not like the story of black women at Nasa made any money... ohh wait.

Well it's not like that horror movie about a black guy trapped in a town of racist body stealers made any money... ohh wait.

Well it's not like that drama about a gay black guy made any money... ohh wait.

Well it's not like a movie based on Polynesian mythology made any money etc. etc.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Mostly just basing this on the fact that hollywood is a machine of greed above all and they don't see much profit in focusing ong asian actors yet because their cold hard calculated demographics research says it aint profitable yet
It's a shame but that's why we see most women above a certain age fizzle out as well

Except this has been proven wrong again and again. The actual research show that diverse movies make more money. The reason that poo poo doesn't change is because of entrenched racism, not greed.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Another GITS inspired album is the OST for Neotokyo.

https://edharrison.bandcamp.com/

The game kinda failed because it didn't make you feel like the badass super cyborg you were supposed to be, but the OST is still pretty solid.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

IMO the action scenes in the anime were better done, particularly the chase with the guy on foot and the fight with him in the water amongst ratty old buildings. It was far more stylish in the animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkvRVkaE6y4

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90OX7x7KeVE

Here's another thing, in the 95 version the fight is extreme violence separated by pauses to see if that was enough. The violence is a means to an end. The 2017 one by contrast, doesn't go as far with the level of violence, but ups the brutality by having the Major just whale on the dude with no pauses. He's crawling on the ground and she's just working him over. It's both less interesting visually and doesn't fit with the ice cold professional characterization.

• Locked thread