Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

HorseLord posted:

Americanized Ghost In The Shell seems like an incredibly bad idea.

Think of it as Lost in Translation 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Katreus posted:

If people are wondering how GITS characters would look like Japanese in real life, there's currently a stage play going on in Japan for GITS Arise:

I'm not a Ghost in the Shell fan or a theatre fan, but I would go see this play if I could. It looks dumb in all the right ways.

Also, as a person who accidentally watched Lucy Liu's anime vampire movie, a bad live-action anime doesn't get any less bad because it has a decent Asian actress. I'd be more worried that the director for this thing is a no-name with only a live action Disney movie to his name rather than of who he cast.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Well, when the Benjamin Button guys can't deliver, there's always Option B. The Cloud Atlas yellowface crew are there for you, ready to make things real uncomfortable.

Top row: Hugo Weaving, James D'Arcy, Jim Sturgess,
Bottom: Halle Berry

That's actually the back of Halle Berry's head. They couldn't work with her front on account of the huge bazookas.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 18, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I'm not even upset about the white washing. I'm baffled by the thought process that ended up with them exploring CGI Asians because Asians were unsafe.

If the goal is getting asses in seats, and more asses fill more seats when there's a white actor instead of an Asian actor, why turn the white actor Asian? Isn't that the same thing? Assuming the CGI is good enough that you'd go ahead with this ridiculous stunt in the first place, are the unwashed masses going to know the difference... I... I am lost for words. It's a dumb idea on so many levels.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 19, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is a film about human-looking robots. There could well have been a scene where different varieties of the same robot body were shown with different ethnicities. So they would need CGI to show an asian face that was still recognisably ScarJo. Do you really find this concept offensive? Because I practically guarantee that something like that was what the CGI test was for.

Because the alternative is that Hollywood has a secret desire to cast white people in films as asians and then CGI them so that they look asian for the whole film despite how expensive and prohibitive that would be, and the huge outrage it would cause, and the pointlessness of casting a famous face and then making them look unrecognisable. It was never going to happen.

I'm not offended. I thought it was silly beyond reason if it was meant to be for the duration of the movie, which you make a solid point that it can't have been. Unless the idea they were throwing around was to make it like A Scanner Darkly but anime.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Asian Robert de Niro has been great in everything I've seen him in. That picture will make me watch this movie.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I've come around on the skinsuit. It doesn't look that bad in motion when you don't see the neck seam.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

That reminds me, someone a few pages back complained that the book version of All You Need Is Kill wasn't translated. There is a regular, non-manga, book in English. I read it a few years ago and thought it was okay. Don't go out of your way to get it though.

I might have parts of it confused with Re:Zero since they're kind of the same premise, but I think it went into how psychologically damaged Cage would get from the constant respawning as opposed to how Tom Cruise rolls with it and becomes a better man in the movie. Apart from that, I think Edge of Tomorrow was a far more fun version of that story.

Gits17 was neither fun nor interesting. It's just all around forgettable. I'd like a buddy cop movie with the section 9 chief and Batou instead.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 11, 2017

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He gets pretty depressed and downbeat about halfway through. Not as much as Bill Murray did in Groundhog Day but still, it clearly sucked a lot for quite some time before he found his mojo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lT0tbFXD9w

It's good sequence. It's followed by the part where he runs away to the bar and aliens show up, right? Cruise can't catch a break. His character does the Bill Murray thing in the novel though, suicide and all. He's initially terrified and then depressed by being caught in the loop. The team up with Rita happens later after he's already become obsessed with killing his way out of the loop. He starts to see it as a game, growing cold and distant. In the movie, the closest you get to that is when he doesn't save the guys at the beach and uses a life to see where the end boss lives.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I need to watch that again, some of the deaths in the beach scene were pretty funny.

I think Edge of Tomorrow is just about the only good Western movie to come out of anime. Pacific Rim is a runner up we extend it to anime themed movies. Chronicle is an interesting and dark superhero thing worth mentioning that seems to be inspired by Akira.

I should see Speedracer since people talk warmly about it in this thread, but I've wanted a Hollywood version of Redline for a while now. I assume I'll be disappointed that Speedracer is not that. ...and I'm pretty sure if I wait a couple more years, Fast and Furious will be cars in space.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 11, 2017

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, you sold me.

And Redline's story is just an excuse to have a ridiculous race, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

That's what happens when roboticists choose names.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The white washing in Netflix' upcoming adaption of Death Note bothers me more. They changed it to take place in America with all white kids, but they're still calling the main character "Kira". He was Kira in the anime because that's Killer pronounced with an accent.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

They should have changed his name to Killian.

Oh god. It's gone full circle

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It depends how close to the source material they're trying to be. Everything about the GITS movie implied it would be the anime as a live action movie. So, it stands out when they change things. The Death Note trailer makes me think it'll do the same thing as GITS where it's kind of a best of compilation of the source material instead of a new story, but it remains to be seen.

The Ring and The Departed are more on level with other 'remakes' like Let Me In and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. They were explicitly made for an American audience, or people in general who won't go out of their way to watch non-English speaking movies. There's an unspoken understanding that it's all going to be Americanized.

I didn't see the Dragon Tattoo, but I think maybe it was still set in Sweden. That's kind of cool of that was the case. I like that they try to keep what made the movies unique even with English speaking actors. In comparison with the other movie I mentioned, a big part of Låt den rätte komma in was how cold and isolated it felt. I think that was lost in Let Me In. Its setting felt more vibrant and less depressive.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, I didn't think that far. Thanks for explaining.

• Locked thread