Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this was almost as bad an idea as the long-suffering Akira live action movie in development hell. I might be less nonplussed at the fact Johansson is in this at all than the fact she's a white lady. I mean whatever if it's going to gently caress up the location and all, but I don't think ScarJo is very talented, like at all.

How many successful live-action animes have been made for American audiences? Cowboy Bebop and Akira are shelved and the DBZ film was garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Renoistic posted:

Insane, however I do hope they use some visual trickery to make her look less human and more "uncanny valley". In the manga they even point out that her cyborg body is designed to look like a cheap, off-brand model, and not a top-of-the-line military model.

I want them to go all-in on her and other cyborgs being weird and creepy as hell. Even small things like that one scene in Stand Alone Complex where she waves her fingers in a inhumanely accurate and precise way to check if the hand works properly. Have them go through weird booting sequence whenever they wake up in the morning. Show them using eye drops since the cyborg bodies aren't equipped to clean the eyeballs/cameras. Hell, I would watch a movie based on the chapter in the manga where they show off how a civilian cyborg is made, complete with detailed explanations on what a cyborg is and isn't capable off doing.

Hell, include the villain using a model that's so old it can't emote properly so he doesn't even bother opening his mouth when speaking. Just go nuts with the premise!

that all sounds insanely cool, I'm sure none of it will be implemented into what might just be some dumbed down robot flick. I lost faith in poo poo like this since "I, Robot" which was a gloriously awful bastardization of the source material.

The "asianization" tech should tell you all you need to know about how loving stupid the people behind this project are. Why not just eventually put someone in blackface for Black Panther, jesus

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if this movie's role is to be so loving bad that the american live-action Akira idea is finally put to death forever then I'm all for it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol at the photos of scarlett johannsson in yoga pants with her rear end front and center

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tomtrek posted:

Full trailer has dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPvnQ2wDlI

It does seem like they're borrowing elements from everything, but this trailer makes it look a bit more like a standard action film than the short teasers did. I'd like to see someone recut that trailer with some of Kenji Kawai's score and see how much it changes the mood.

yeah they could have just called it Ultraviolet 2: Asian Edition with how many stock action things we're seeing here. Can't see this being a big hit really anywhere.

• Locked thread