Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
maybe she's playing a white-looking cyborg body with a japanese brain inside

e: actually i bet this is what it is, and the asianification screen test was for a flashback scene when she's playing her original human self. i figured it out everybody

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
actually the premise of ghost in the shell is 'what if an autistic comics artist had a lot of tedious opinions about robots?'

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

HorseLord posted:

草薙 素子: I am a Japanese person from Japan. I have lived here my whole life. I work for the Japanese government.

she could be a white japanese person though

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

If I was the dude cutting checks for folks to make movies, I'd be really fuckin' worried about giving money to the Wachowski's of late. Whatever you think about their post-Matrix output, the bulk of your potential audience ain't having none of that.

I think they did an interview when Jupiter Ascending came out where they basically said "yeah we know this was the last huge budget we were going to get *shrug* it was a good run"

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It would be fun if the Major was still Japanese but her new body was (say) a US military model that looked like ScarJo, so the story could deal with representation issues (and also Japanese racism) directly

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Fakename posted:

Incidentally, have there been any examples of actual Japanese people in Japan being upset about this?

http://www.gossipcop.com/ghost-in-shell-backlash-scarlett-johansson-whitewashing-japanese-character-asian-white-casting/

quote:

A user with the handle @XavierDLeau offered, “If there’s any Japanese protestors out there protesting against Ghost in the Shell, know I stand with you.”

If, he couldn't even be bothered to find out lol

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I want to watch the 1995 movie again now, should I look for the original version or go with the "2.0" version where they made it look more like Innocence?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The Matrix is still awesome, don't be a grumpy gus

In other news, the Japanese appreciate Sony Walkmans on a much deeper level than you:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

So if you're thinking this is a one off and the detractors are only complaining because of some vague Pan-Asian sentiment or just because "muh anime" then you're not paying attention.

I think it's more that while there are excellent arguments against whitewashing, there are also a lot of stupid arguments against it ("only the noble Nipponese can truly know what it is to drive a Honda Accord") and in the case of GITS the stupid arguments are particularly prominent because anime

Donnerberg posted:

I'm not even upset about the white washing. I'm baffled by the thought process that ended up with them exploring CGI Asians because Asians were unsafe.

Friendly reminder that we don't even know what the in-story reason for it was yet!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, anybody who thinks Paramount were considering CGI-ing epicanthic folds on Johannson for the entire running time of the movie is a loving lunatic. I'm really curious about what they were actually doing though now.

e: VVV case in point

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
They already put out a promotional pic of Johansson looking white before this CGI thing even came out for God's sake :psyduck:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

There's no timeline of when the CGI yellowface was being done/ordered for consideration. Plus the amazing thing about CGI is: You can do well after principal photography has completed.

If you think that there was ever a plan, at any time, to put slanty eyes on ScarJo for the whole movie then you are crazy.

That said, I don't find Paramount convincing either when they say it was just for a 'background character', like there was one extra in a crowd scene they needed to make Asian because :confused:. I doubt we'll ever know the truth but I think Comrade Fakename's idea is probably close to what they had in mind. Which would be pretty cool, because having fluid visible racial markers for the Major would be a new and timely way to approach the themes of 'self' and 'identity' and whatnot that GITS (the '95 movie anyway) is all about, and would at least stand a chance of making this something other than a disposable March action movie.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

This is the most plausible story

"most outrage-worthy" =/= "most plausible"

e:

Crain posted:

Counter-point: Ben Barnes

"casting a no-name white actor as a probably-mostly-ethnically-Spanish supporting character in a Katherine Heigl movie" =/= "yellowing up the second-highest-paid actress in the world for a leading role"

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 19, 2016

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

See I wanna call trolling on this because Ben Barnes is far from some no-name actor. He's was one of the leads, and in one movie the lead of the leads, in the Narnia Series. He played Prince/King Caspian. And in The Big Wedding played one of the leading roles as well. He's half of the drat focus of the story for christ's sake.

I didn't see The Big Wedding and I'm pretty sure no one else did either so I'll take your word for it

Regarding the no name thing, I just did a straw poll of my office (one of whom actually saw Prince Caspian) and no one had a clue who Ben Barnes was

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

A truly representative poll. You're doing terrific.

n=5 if we're being scientific

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

Also, you have a fixation on the word "outrage".

I have used it exactly once itt

And for actual GITS chat: whoever does the music for this has their work cut out for them, the score for the '95 film was loving gorgeous and did 95% of the emotional heavy lifting for that movie

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 19, 2016

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

The CGI in 2.0 looks terrible. I'd go for the original.

Thanks! That's a shame. I wish they'd left the real-world stuff alone, if they'd just updated the hacking scenes it could have worked out nicely. Original it is!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

Like I said, at most I'm jaded and amused at the studio's foolish last ditch attempt to fix the whitewash after they internally realized it was whitewashing. I'm also not too surprised at people (who have little to gain from seeing Paramount profit from this) here who somehow need to defend it and concoct some scenario where it couldn't have been as bad.

i'm not defending anything, it's just that your own concocted scenario is looneytunes. but if you have any real information on what was going on with the screentest feel free to share it, i mean you seem very sure

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 19, 2016

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

much cheaper

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

am0kgonzo posted:

She’s going to be an erotic lieutenant.

I was puzzled by that one too

Also I don't agree that she can't do "cold", she can be blank as gently caress when she wants to be.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

"They couldn't have done that because that would be a dumb move" is a foolproof counter.

Clipperton posted:

if you have any real information on what was going on with the screentest feel free to share it

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

Either Paramount is lying or the film press if lying. I find it highly unlikely that Screen Crush would make up a story out of thin air.

None of that is inconsistent with Comrade Fakebot's theory, in fact it fits the facts better, since if the tests were for an alternate cyborg body of the Major's, it'd be true that they were both for Johansson's face (like Screencrush says) AND for a 'background character' (like Paramount claims)...

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

Or alternatively, the same industry that thought Gemma Arterton was a good choice for a movie called "Prince of Persia" and a Swedish guy was a good choice for "Gods of Egypt" and honestly cannot see the problem with casting hispanics as middle easterners actually is kind of dumb when it comes to race.

worked out pretty good for cliff curtis

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

It's funny that they confirmed Cliff Curtis' character in Fear the Walking Dead as a Maori dude. I think it might be the first time he's ever portrayed his actual ethnicity in an American production.

No one's going to buy Sheikh Fadlallah/Claudio Perrini/Yeshua of Nazareth as a Maori. Serious posts only please

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Squinty posted:

If they want to make the point that race is superficial and irrelevant, part of the shell and not the ghost, then the fact that they could never have made this film without casting a pretty white girl as the lead kind of betrays that hypothesis.

Maybe they're making the point that it isn't but it should be.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

It has a PS1 Prerendered Cutscene feel to it.

Ironically the actual PS1 GITS game had a much better intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0UBycyZb6w

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's not about in-universe ad-hoc justifications, it's about job opportunities for real people.

Silly me, I thought it was about making a good Ghost in the Shell movie

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

Oshii didn't even create the characters. The movie definitely influenced how the Major was characterized in the show though.

The comic is terrible spergy crap. The TV shows are better but not by much. The movie is the definitive version of GITS (for me anyway, and for most people aware of the franchise I bet) so if ScarJo is okay by Oshii she's okay by me :thumbsup:

Neo Rasa posted:

It's true, even if one were to look at an in-setting justification, it would fail because the character's robo-body is specifically said to be like generic Japanese woman template # 3727 whatever so that she can continue to look Japanese and blend into a crowd if need be.

Maybe in the future Japan will be diverse and multicultural and foreigners walking down the street won't get stared atpfffffft hahahahahaha

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

what the heck are y'all talking about, the movie sucks and is incredibly boring philosophy-babble with some nice animation. the TV show is actually good

imo it's the music. the movie has one of the best soundtracks of all time and the music provides all the emotion the screenplay is missing and then some

phasmid posted:

"what is reality?" "what is identity?" "is the creation of life spontaneous?" "how do you even define 'life'?"

:2bong:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

Nice rebuttal to every philosopher since the stone age. Omg the stoned age lol. Dweeb.

the thing is, it's not like those questions aren't worth asking but boiling them down to a forums post--or even a 90-minute movie--just makes them sound like college-dorm bullshit. to wit:

quote:

Major Motoko Kusanagi: I mean, have you ever actually seen your brain?

not that i mind college-dorm bullshit, but to claim you're getting the same treatment of these ideas from a movie (that also has to leave room for invisibility-cloak shenanigans and tank battles) that you would from a book is a little bit silly

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

I've only seen the first two Shell moves, I've never read the manga and I played that PS1 game for about an hour.

god i loved that game. skating that little red tank around, climbing walls, locking missiles onto stuff. so great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mean Bean Machine posted:

This forum sucks.

• Locked thread