Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Two dollar bills are considered lucky in South Korea, so my students always had them. I figured they were all North Korean counterfeit imports, but apparently not.

a very bad teacher posted:

Causing Participation Consternation
HIGH SCHOOL | TAMPA, FL, USA | BAD BEHAVIOR, POPULAR, TEACHERS
(My history teacher this year is notoriously bad. He does not let us take notes in class because “we should be engaged in class” and tries to have us guess what he is saying every few words. Everyone hates him, including the other history teachers, but he’s best friends with the headmaster of my school so he’s immune to getting fired, to everyone’s dismay.)

Teacher: “So, Henry the Eighth did what to England?”

(I raise my hand.)

Teacher: “Put your hand down [My Name]; you’ve answered already. Give other people a chance.”

(Nobody else has their hand up.)

Teacher: “See what happens when you always answer the questions? Everyone becomes dependent on you answering questions. I’m failing you for today because you are not giving other people a chance to answer the question.”

(I stop participating in class after that. Two weeks pass, and I am sleeping in class because I had just pulled an all-nighter and I am not allowed to participate in class.)

Teacher: “[MY NAME]!”

Me: “Wha… what?”

Teacher: “[My Name], stay after class. I have to talk to you about sleeping in class.”

Me: “Sure…”

(After class.)

Teacher: “Why weren’t you participating in class?”

Me: “You failed me and told me not to participate a couple weeks ago.”

Teacher: “I never said such a thing. I said to participate less. Find a middle ground!”

Me: “You failed me for raising my hand twice.”

Teacher: “No, I failed you for dominating the discussion. Today, though, sleeping in class is RUDE! It shows you don’t care.”

Me: “…”

Teacher: “What do you have to say about yourself? Was it appropriate to sleep in class?”

Me: “Sir…”

Teacher: “Was it appropriate to sleep in class?”

(I think for a few seconds.)

Me: “Yes, sir, it was appropriate to be sleeping in your class.”

Teacher: “Why?”

Me: “You don’t let us take notes; you don’t let me participate in class. If you refuse to teach me, I have better things to do with my time.”

Teacher: “YOU ARE BEING VERY RUDE. YOU ARE BEING VERY CONDESCENDING TO ME, AND AS YOUR TEACHER, YOU MUST RESPECT ME!”

(I got three detentions for that, but it was totally worth it!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Mr. Belpit posted:

For anyone who didn't follow the last thread, the Not Always X series of bullshit publishers make very heavy edits to their submissions to make them more cookie-cutter same-y. The editors (tbh probably just one guy) are apparently from the UK, so stories submitted from the US by Americans will occasionally have incongruous Britishisms. The example from this story isn't the most egregious, but still.

You are 100% right, BUT I went to private school in the US and we did actually have a headmaster! His name was Baxter Ball and he was very fat. We loved him.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Are you sure you're not from the UK because that sounds Britishy as gently caress

Well, we were very fancy. No jeans allowed, etc.

Incidentally, I am a British person based entirely on passport ownership alone!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I like to call them "teeaboos".

OKAY MARRY ME NOW WE ARE MARRIED

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

hahaha ok

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

oldpainless posted:

When in doubt just use the phrase (person) has "a touch of the 'tism"

My grandma decided to finally tell me the big, obvious family secret (we are ever-so-minutely Egyptian) by telling me we have a "touch of the tarbrush." She was on many pills.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

sweet cool mom-ing

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I have serious doubts about at least half of these :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/17-tweets-show-how-early-women-experience-sexual-harassment-and-violence_us_5716633ee4b06f35cb70be5e

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

These all sound realistic to me?

Your life must be a literal hellscape of leering math teachers and groping, sweaty hands.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Apr 28, 2016

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

RNG posted:

In 12 years of public school we had 5 teachers/coaches fired for or convicted of molestation.

Um, that is literally insane.

No, I don't believe that is normal at all.

Perhaps I was an exceptionally ugly child?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Sorry you all got molested and all your friends got molested and your dog and your goldfish also totally got molested. I would rather have sex with a pinecone than any of my students, frankly.

Here's something else:

some guy posted:

My 1997 Ford Ranger was stolen from me in 2006. It wasnt worth too much anymore, so the isnurance cut me a check for $2,000, which I graciously accepted. It wasn;t so much the loss of the CAR per se that hurt me; I had my favorite CD's in there in a small spindle case under the drivers seat, many of which were "mix tapes" from a special person, that I could never replace. No real investigation was pursued, since I live on a border town and we were pretty certain the car was being scrapped for parts.

Fast forward to 2008.

I'm driving through Texas one day, eating Oreos (becuase honestly, if you've never driven across the wide expanse of nothing that is highway 77 while eating Oreos, well, you've never lived. I came to a truck stop in a town called Riviera (a notorious speed trap), and as I was walking in to buy some milk to wash down the double-stuff with, I saw a white Ford Ranger pull up to the drive-through car wash.

The license plates were different, but I wlaked toward the car, sensing its familar energy. I watched from a safe distance.

The driver had some difficulty with the car wash machine, and went inside to get things strait.

I looked in the truck bed, and I knew when I saw the "Rick and Mel forever" keyed into the inside of the truck bed, I knew it was MY RANGER.

I had to act fast. The line isnide was long, so I had a couple of minutes.

I ran back to my car (that i was currently driving) and grabbed my bag of Oreos.

I had long ago heard the myth that if you lick the cream side of an Oreo, and stick it to a car, the paint will come off with it when the cookie comes off.

Now, I cant verify the truth of that myth, becuase I wasn't really given the chance to.

After I was done "writing" on the passenger side of the car (which I knew he was unlikely to see) I ran off and waited.

He stormed out in a gruff. Got into his (my) pickup truck, and drove off (i guess they didnt tell him he was getting his $7 back and he felt slighted.)

He drove off into the worst speed trap in ALL OF TEXAS with "STOLEN CAR: ARREST ME" written in Oreos on the passenger side of his car.

I got a call from Riviera County police a week later. My Ranger was there, waiting for me.

I went to claim it (cost a few hundy), and when I got back into it, I looked under the seat...

And found a spindle full of irreplacable CDs, waiting for me for 2 years.

Sometimes Karma is a b***h, other times, she's your best friend.

Must have had a shitton of Oreos, is all I'm saying.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Fathis Munk posted:

How hot of a pinecone are we talking here? More a 6 or a 9?

y not both

get it

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I know I'm late, but regarding the extreme couponing thing- some people do it just as a hobby and then donate the food they get to a food bank. You get a weird rush, forty bottles of free mustard, a chance to help people who rely on food banks, AND totally ruin a retail employee's day! What's not to love?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I was loving joking. I've likely worked more retail than any of you.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Samizdata posted:

Nope. Pretty sure you are the wrongest wrong that ever wronged.

Seems to be the prevailing theme in the thread lately. Oh, well, more STDH, I suppose!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

but Macaulay Culkin dies at the end! :smith:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Tardigrade posted:

One of my ninth graders said they ship me with another of the student teachers :(

That's funny, I thought it was us teachers who were all weird and sexual constantly.
:smug: :colbert:

p.s. I'm kidding around. In case it wasn't clear.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

e: sorry, never mind!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Do you have a link to the generator?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Hell of a tribute, that is...

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Also I will never not find Americans referring to utes as "trucks" hilarious. Also American moms calling their kids FirstName MiddleName when they're mad :mad:

I will never not find white Australians naming their equally white children "Ebony" hilarious.

I believe Ute is actually a Native American tribe, so it would be a bit rude to use that word for our large-stuff-hauling-vehicles-with-many-wheels.

Also, my dad is from England and he would use our full names when we were in trouble. *shrug* But I have two middle names, so if all four come out to play, I'm probably dead.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

what the gently caress did I just read

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

shit_that_didnt_happen.txt: As I was doing so, I suddenly had some vivid memories of my past life as a tortoise. I think they were triggered by the Japanese food I had eaten.

I wish it would fit.

I bet Jenn says that a lot

cuz she is fat

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

STDH: Racism debate in the thread was super appropriate and interesting!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Wow, finally, FINALLY one of his sex partners figured out what "le hamster" meant. He should marry that girl. Smart as a whip, that one.

edit: The other French one is weird, too. Assuming the "troper" is in Canada...is there any Canadian who attends university who NEVER took a French class and wouldn't know what the word "mange" means? Anyone? Buellér?

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Sep 18, 2016

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

"This troper has in past resorted to teaching females nerdy pursuits, introducing them to his tastes in (extremely loud heavy metal) music, and so forth. A Crowning Moment Of Awesome of this was teaching binary to a chatroom full of girls using a seldom-used function of an IM program and it actually sticking"

I'm like 90000% sure this is Kuuenbu.

goon posted:

I heard a story from the guys a couple classes above me. One time they put on 3 hats, and wrote on them 1, 2, 4. Teachers were all like "No you can't wear hats in class!!" so they took the hats off, but the teachers could'nt stop thinking about hat number 3. Who was wearing it and where. I think at least one teacher had to take early retirement over that.

This made me laugh like gently caress, but I don't know if it's true.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 15:20 on Sep 27, 2016

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I would have threatened this kid with an academic dishonesty charge for improperly formatting his dumb song quote.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Ratjaculation posted:

But imagine being on the other end of this and being the person who has to get a gift for Bill Gates.

I would draw him a picture of the Peanut Butter Jelly Time banana. Because that is PRICELESS!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I don't have a sister, so maybe I don't understand, but wouldn't it be pretty easy to judge how attractive your sister was, unclothed or not?

Based on our illustrious forum's history, the ideal way to deal with a hawt sister is to sniff her panties straight out of the hamper and then post an angry thread when other goons call your house.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Khazar-khum posted:

"We loved our puppy so much we threw him away!"

Paging Wojtek to the thread.

jk I hope that guy gets his foot run over by a truck.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Khazar-khum posted:

Is there a link?

I think it's this: http://ghettohikes.tumblr.com/

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

System Metternich posted:

This is spectacularly racist, wow :stare:

Noooo, it says right at the top that the kids are of various ethnicities! :downs::downs:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

hey can we not with this derail cool thanks in advance

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Today I remembered That Girl. We all know That Girl because she's had a really exciting life! She's a model, and she totally has like four boyfriends, and she had cancer but she's better now, etc. etc.

So, today I was thinking about the last That Girl I knew and how she once told me her family owned the Sturgis motorcycle rally. I texted my friend to ask him if he remembered and he responded immediately with:

"Oh, yeah, she told us that, and then she told us that Dr. Dre came to Sturgis and wanted to perform so he auditioned for her, but she didn't like it, so she told him to gently caress off."

This woman was every day of 38 years old when she told us this.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did she have any comments on the lethal smash mouth concert?

She has become markedly more normal since having a baby. Last time I saw her was at a friend's wedding and the only STDH was that apparently the wait staff refused to understand her on purpose and outright ignored her when she said she wanted milk for her toddler.

But I have a lot of stories about this girl from like ten years ago. A LOT. Like how she had thirteen million dollars (she was very wealthy, but not that wealthy), and she had adopted a baby from a friend who was white trash and worked at Sonic and did meth so she literally just TOOK THE BABY (the kid exists, but we think she's just the godmother or a friend of the family, because he definitely doesn't live with her) and her name means something in French (it doesn't). Also she speaks Tagalog (she doesn't) and her dad was the chief of police (no). One time, we sat down to dinner when all of a sudden she takes her phone out of her pocket and (not pressing buttons or anything) just screams NO I WILL NOT GIVE YOU MONEY into it and then threw it into her purse. Again, no button or anything. Then she refused to talk about it all night.

Most of the weird stuff she says is easily disproved by Google and she is an extremely wealthy and successful person, so we're really not sure where this behavior comes from.

e: I actually don't know how to get a hold of her anymore, in answer to your actual question.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

MrUnderbridge posted:

Had a student like that.

Family is rich and has a jet (his dad was a navy dentist who had recently retired, so, no)
Had his pilots licenseat 14 (asked his mom about it and she says "Maybe in a computer game?")
Took his dad flying one day and as a prank whispered into his mike "Ignore what I'm about to say ", and then throwing the plane around yelling "Mayday! Mayday!" into his mike (see above)
Had a metal plate in his arm replacement bone skeleton. (Uhh...)
Despite that, came in with a cast on his arm (his mom said he complained to the doctor until he got one, not that he had anything really wrong)
Was fireproof (got tapped by a flame in lab one day, jerked his hand back with an "Ow!" and a girl asked innocently "I thought you were fireproof? " I had to turn around to hide my attempt not to laugh)
Was adopted (true!) from Australia (actually Nevada), and so had a terribly fake accent. For a week.
Over Thanksgiving break said he had to go up to New York to help Grumman with the problems they were having with the engines on the F-16 (so, so many things wrong there)
Had this idea for a forearm mounted flamethrower the size of a Red Bull can, and there were generals interested in his idea.
After graduation was "just chillin' at my apartment and dj-ing on the weekends. I get like 1200 a gig" While his Facebook had pics of him at his parent's house.

Surprisingly, he rarely got called out on those. Most people just went "Huh. Ok." and moved on. One guy did go "That kid's so full of poo poo! " and we couldn't bring ourselves to give him a cursing in class penalty.

We had a girl like this in my high school and at one friend's graduation party we all sat around telling "Sara [Redacted] Stories" until one of the teachers walked over. When we explained what we were doing, he joined in.

(Yes, people at my school invited teachers to their graduation parties. No, I don't know what the gently caress.)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I just go along with it because the more you go "Wow, that's amazing' the more elaborate it gets.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Maybe they're burning copies of his movies to give to all their friends? Oh wait, nobody has physical media players anymore. So I guess that means Unfortunately, everyone I know is about to turn our backs to the Rock. We used to be huge fans. My children have already started burning his movie's. Such a sad day to hear rock say this. My teen's took this really hard. Figured he was smarter than this.

Sharon Stone’s serious speech really puts into perspective how lucky we are to be where we are and is very inspiring.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

SilkyP posted:

Sounds like STDH that you know this STDH person. Very meta

SHE LIVES IN CANADA YOU DONT KNOW HER

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Oct 2, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I thought service dogs were trained not to lick rando people anyways. (I am in no way a service dog expert.)

jjack229 posted:

Anybody who does this has to expect that the dog has been licking all kinds of things earlier, include their own genitals or another dog's butt.

I think the author burned themself with this one, honestly, because their BLD comment implies that their butt looks like that mean lady's face. I feel like that's a way worse situation. Also, every dog licks their own butt anyways, so why would she okay why am I thinking about this I'm gonna go lie down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Amanda Palmer has been in New Zealand for most of last year, is a relentless self promoter, and has had her personal life widely reported in international gossip media in the last year. The least believable thing about that is the coffee shop not knowing she was Amanda Palmer.

I don't think eyebrows made of stars and an ego larger than the North and South island combined stay anonymous for long, especially not when you're throwing a massive international tantrum about your maybe-divorce.

I used to be a massive fan of the Dresden Dolls, but I find the way Palmer behaves and her relentless need to promote herself the as the ultimate MPDG trying at best.

e: I've been living overseas since I was 18, including in countries where people actually LIKE Americans, and no one has ever, ever done this anywhere ever.