Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Did he really hang a brassiere in the doorway to lend legitimacy to his claim that a girl had been in the room?

Isn't that bra also really big? Like, in a "fat person" way rather just having a big chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

...Yeah? Unless you grew up in adverse circumstances there's sort of no excuse for not being able to cook some food for yourself as an adult.

Also, it's not so much that she couldn't cook as it is someone thinking that hamburger helper is a fancy meal. Like, I'm pretty poo poo at cooking but that doesn't make me think stuff like spaghetti or hamburger helper is fancy cooking.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When I was 16 my etymology/mythology teacher told me I had "beautiful eyes" (I'm male and the teacher was a woman). It made me uncomfortable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mostlygray posted:

Disruptive camo doesn't work well on me because I look for movement and context. Ghillie suites excepted, they work quite well. I couldn't tell you if moss is green or red (I'm told it is green). Apparently I can't see pink at all; I just found out when I bought a pink shirt and I thought it was white. I have a mental color called "blurple" because I cant tell blue and purple apart well.

What people forget is that colorblindness doesn't mean black and white. It means that you use context for everything. When hunting, I don't look in the woods for brown vs green vs gray vs (some color I can't see, taupe perhaps? Mauve?). I look for shape and movement. This behavior gives the bombardier the ability to ignore camouflage and simply look for patterns. Dog's can hunt just fine and they can't see poo poo. I just can't tell if the server status light is green, amber, or red. I have to have someone look for me.

Exactly - the biggest misconception I hear is people who think we just see certain colors switched to different colors, when in reality it's more that certain colors are just really ambiguous. Like you mentioned with blue/purple, there are certain colors that are just "something ambiguous that I guess is some shade of blue or purple" and the same goes for a lot of red/green/browns. Light shades of grey can also be confusing; when I was a child we had a black and white TV in the kitchen and I would talk about seeing red and pink on it because I couldn't distinguish between certain shades of grey and red.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wait, so she brought a real sword to this ren faire's sword fighting ring?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stroop There It Is posted:

if there's one thing that describes trans people, it's that we love talking loudly about things involving our genitals in public!! what is this "diss-for-ee-ah" thing?

also lol at the token ftm, the outrage at the supposedly expanding mob of trannies CUTTING IN LINE!, and that they were some how both chatting in a positive way about sex and giving off "a sense of rage" at the same time

Even a lot of the comments, some of which were by people who otherwise liked this author, were talking about how obviously fabricated and implausible the story is.

I made some comment saying how the only way this story would be remotely plausible is if instead of Captain America they were going to see a late night showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show and instead of transgender people there were just a bunch of cross-dressers. I mean, it would still obviously be fake, but at least not as dramatically so as the story in its present state. This other article making of this apparently thought the same thing I did: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2016/05/10/the-rod-d-horror-picture-show/ "None of this would be believable even if she’d made this a story about taking her son to a midnight showing of Rocky Horror in Provincetown."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wait, is it implied that the troper couldn't wipe their own rear end because of their size? Confused about the need for the wipes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

My favorite are the ones who comment on stories debunking the La-a thing saying "No really, I met her!" What the hell do you have to gain there? What's the point?

It seems like the "I knew black people with ridiculous names" people are especially common among health care workers. My dad (x-ray tech) and all the nurses he works with mentioned such things on countless occasions. Like you said, he would get extremely defensive and offended if I mentioned that some of the stuff he said is a common urban legend.

The problem is that many people are heavily invested in the stories they tell as part of their identity. By questioning one of their anecdotes, it's like you're denying their very being.To play armchair psychologist, I think it might actually be related to insecurity in some way; like, these people are so desperate to have their stories validated that they find it genuinely hurtful if you're skeptical.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

I just don't get why people do this. I was getting drinks with a friend who is working at a daycare, and she said that one of the kids is named "La-a". I frowned and looked at her, just said "... Really?". She gave me a really weird look back and said "yeah".

I did similar things with exaggerating stories a couple times back when I was a teenager (though not to the extent of the troper tales). One example was basically a composite of three incidents. One involved me going out to bike and forgetting my helmet, with my dad reminding me to wear it before I left. Another involved me having a bad bike accident where I scraped up my knee really bad. And another involved my helmet getting a dent in it somehow. I melded these stories together into "I almost went biking without my helmet before having a bad bike wreck where my helmet hit the curb so hard it was dented." In reality this probably didn't happen, but the pieces were there and I thought it would make a good story. Over time it reached the point where I started to believe things had actually happened that way, and it wasn't until I was in my early 20s or so that I realized that I only vaguely remembered each element of the story separately. It was easier to just not think too hard about it and assume it actually happened.

So, basically what happens is people think "If I said this people would be interested" and then either immediately and reflexively shut-down the following thought process of "isn't it kind of hosed up to make up stories?" or tell themselves "this really happened" so much that they start to honestly believe it. It's an easy way to get acceptance and conversation from peers, and people choose to not think more about what exactly they're doing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

My (least) favorite one was told by I think actually elise but maybe I'm wrong about who it was that posted it. It went along the lines of, "I had this little old lady patient and was trying to get a catheter into her but I couldn't find the hole, then I noticed that there was an intact hymen. I asked her if she was sexually active and she said "yes when I first had sex with my husband it hurt but I thought it was supposed to hurt." Apparently she had been having sex through her urethra for 40 years and didn't know it." I mean, come on. That's loving literally physically impossible.

One I remember hearing is about is "gerbilling" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerbilling). I imagine it's related to gay panic stuff in general, but this is another one my dad swore to have seen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The appendicitis troper tale is hilarious, largely because it crosses the line from just "situation extremely unlikely to ever occur" to "literally impossible." I also like how he says he "rarely if ever catches diseases" after saying he suffered from appendicitis for 4 years.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tunicate posted:

You see he broke off the knife in the mugger's shoulder because he knew the mugger might be left handed too.

I like how if you imagine that story actually happening, the mugger just sort of jabbed the troper with the knife and then stood there listening while the troper said "Have you considered that I might be left-handed" and then stabbed them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I have a Pokestop outside the front of my place (painted signal box) and a gym across the road (big ol' church), so there are greasy nerds loitering outside on the footpath or in the church's parking lot at odd hours. Luckily I'm round the back of my place so only my neighbours near the front of the property have their sleep disturbed by weirdos celebrating that they've caught a Rapidash :cool:

Hearing stories like this confuses me. There are like 8+ Pokestops between the parking lot and the building where I work (at a medical school with thousands of students), and I do not think I have seen a single person playing Pokemon (though I did see some police officer talking to other police officers say something about catching a Jigglypuff). It's not like there's any dearth of 20-somethings around there, so I'm wondering why other places seem to have wandering herds of people congregating around Pokestops but I haven't seen such a thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MizPiz posted:

There was that one time a bunch of people crossed the street into Central Park because something came up. Most of these "dearths of 20-somethings" are just two or three small groups of friends hanging out.

I can understand someplace with the density of Manhattan, but I hear this sort of thing from people who sound like they live in more or less suburban areas. It's probably just a coincidence that I haven't seen any yet (or that they've seen so many people).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CannedMacabre posted:

So apparently STDH stories ending with "Loch Ness Monsta!" is now a thing imgurians find to be the height of hilarity.

http://imgur.com/gallery/l0roE

This is the sort of thing I would have found funny in high school, so I'm assuming (/hoping) that's the main fan base.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

Well that explains it, I figured something had to be missing.

That guy just has to be using an auto translate, desperately trying to get his point across.

His point seems to be some combination of "my mom made me go to the doctor (for weight test) when I did not feel like it*" and "my sister is hot."

*how could she stoop so low?!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

I watched the video and thought it was endearingly awful. Surely those poor girls will regret sharing the video with the world, but it didn't really stand out to me as much different than anything I did as a kid. I mean, they were just excited and having fun with a roll of foam. They didn't hurt or even inconvenience a single person, sooooo?

The people in the video seem at least college aged though. I would draw the line for that sort of behavior not indicating something fundamentally wrong with a person at 20 at the absolute oldest, though I would say that it's abnormal at any point past the age of ~18.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It concerns me that he describes a classmate of his from when he was 9 years old as a "hot chick"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Solid Cake posted:

The Pokemon that spawn nearby spawn for everyone in the area, not just for one person, and everybody is given the opportunity to catch it independently. So all of these stories about people racing to catch a Pokemon and steal it from each other is bullshit. Even if it is meant as a joke, their target audience is obviously people who play Pokemon Go, so why even bother when the core information in the joke is wrong?

To be fair, I can understand why someone who has only played the game by themselves wouldn't realize this. Unless you're specifically around other people who inform you of the fact they're trying to catch the same thing as you, you probably wouldn't realize that the game works this way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

DId you go to high school in 1999?
Seriously, thats a bit from season loving 2 of South Park. Why wouyld that be making a comeback now? my meme game must be weak as poo poo

2000-2004, so close to that. But I'm mostly referring to the whole "something being 'random' and unexpected = funny" type of humor, which was very popular when I was a teenager (and seems to still be popular among teens due to their undeveloped sense of humor).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Plausible with the lawn care guys offering to do it for free.

Come on man, get out while you're ahead.

It would be funny if the story ended with the dementia grandma having some terrible accident while the troper irresponsibly left her by herself in the house.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Then he kicked the unconscious guy.

And then he rides off in the bike he...threw through the car's back window.

Aleph Null posted:

That is really sad. I mean, I don't believe it, but he could turn it into a decent short story if he wanted.

I find it more creepy than sad. Like, apparently dream-girl (literally) couldn't exist without the presence of that guy.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Aug 17, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ibntumart posted:

I wasn't sure about posting this in case the person really is in a bad relationship, but (1)their subsequent replies to people on their post has me convinced this is a troll, (2) the family history is written like snippets of a bad historical romance setting up the heroine's badassery, and (3) no sane person crafts and delivers a dénouement like this to their spouse in the first place.

Anyone who feels the need to write so many words about how awesome and incredible they are (especially if all the specific stuff is just about their family and not them directly) just comes off as incredibly pathetic. It's like you can smell the lack of self-esteem.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As some people have mentioned, the biggest aspect of that lady (and presumably also her husband) that I find distasteful is that she seems to honestly believe that the Victorian era was a better time period than the present and seems to base her opinions on the era off of writings depicting wealthy upper class white people. It crosses the line between merely thinking some aspects of a past culture were neat/interesting and flat-out fetishizing it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Someone Awful! posted:

why do the couples in these fake letters never actually use each others' names? it's always "husband" or "sweetie" or "babe"

Because the letter was written by the poster to put on the internet and they want to remain anonymous.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While reading that something about the writing style/content made me think the writer was a girl, and it turns out I was right. Does anyone know why that might be? I can't point to anything specific that made me think that way, but something about the content and way it was written strongly gave me that impression (and this has also been the case with other random internet writing, usually stdh type stuff). Maybe it's sort of like how certain handwriting looks like it was written by a woman, but applied to overall writing style and content.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Khazar-khum posted:

Gear

quote:

This Troper heard a story about a friends father who, having recently received his driver's license, was given his father's sparkling new Mercedes, with automatic transmission. Having learned driving on a manual car, at autobahn speed he went through the motions of depressing the clutch and shifting into a higher gear. What actually happened was that he pressed the brake and shifted into reverse. Hilarity ensued.

What I like about some of these Troper tales is that, if you realistically imagine them happening, they become pretty funny (though not for the reasons the Troper thinks). In this case, the mental image of some guy loving up and making the car suddenly violently break (which would actually be kind of scary, especially if you were a passenger since you wouldn't know what the driver did) and then everyone in the car just uproariously laughing is so bizarre it becomes funny. I can't imagine a single interpretation of that situation where it would be normal for people to start laughing.

quote:

Hedges

quote:

This troper got something of a reputation for balancing on a rail while getting steadily drunker, and although swaying sometimes wildly, didn't spill a drop. As soon as the glass was empty, I promptly toppled into the hedges. Later successfully fought off both neighbors after comments that probably wouldn't have been made between us if we weren't stupidly drunk.

I also like how this one just tells us that the writer is a gently caress-up who is a belligerent drunk.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, there have been a couple times that I started trying to unlock some car that wasn't mine, though I imagine I would have noticed before actually getting seated in the car if I somehow managed to open it.

Wait, is it even a thing for car keys to be able to open cars other than your own?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There are some great comments under the youtube video about knife fights. While the majority are sensible, there's a significant minority of people claiming that they definitely could beat a knife using aikido or whatever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fedoras (or trilbies or whatever) are bad enough, but it's especially baffling when these people wearing them with t-shirts and jeans. Like, at least wear a suit if you're going for the whole "1940's salaryman" look.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That Gallagher one confuses me. This part in particular:

quote:

Here's where it gets crazy. Troper's stepfather has the exact same name as an extremely well-known musician from India. It's a standing joke in the family that the musician is her stepfather's grandfather, even though he's no relation. A friend who was along for the meal made the joke to Gallagher, who thought she was serious, and told Troper's stepfather, "I did a lot of acid to your grandfather's music back in the 60's!"

How is that where it gets crazy? Meeting Gallagher happened before this, so it's not referring to Gallagher being there. Is it that it's ~totally crazy~ for her stepfather to have the same name as the musician? Or that Gallagher believed it? (edit: Or maybe it's that Gallagher did acid? In which case, lol)

I was expected some sort of ridiculous extreme STDH after the "Here's what it gets crazy" part, but instead there's something isn't really crazy or strange at all?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm mixed on that stdh; my mom taught first grade for over 40 years and I've seen a LOT of 6-7 year old handwriting, and that is pretty much exactly what it looks like. But stuff like "pooped" being spelled both correctly and incorrectly makes me unsure.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

I rarely feel secondhand embarrassment as strong as what I felt when I read this. I think it's because I have a personal rule to always believe people of color when they talk about racist incidents they've experienced, and so I want to be on her side on principle, but I completely can't. :negative:

Kind of related to this, but somewhat recently there was this article going around talking about how black women are the most educated demographic in the nation, and all these websites mis-interpreted the statistics in question and a number of people I know linked to them on Facebook. There were two things cited - one was a statistic showing the percent of black women within a certain age range currently enrolled in college and the other was a statistic showing the percent of black women with college degrees relative to black men. Both of these were misinterpreted (the latter more egregiously). The former was misleading because even though the number enrolled was highest, the number who actually completed degrees wasn't (and this is likely due to that demographic spending longer in college on average, thus increasing the total number enrolled within that age range), and the latter was particularly bad because a bunch of people/websites interpreted the "percent of black women relative to black men" statistic as a raw "percent of black women" statistic and compared it with the "percent of white women relative to white men" (etc) statistics.

It was really awkward explaining that no, these really positive, optimistic statistics do not mean what some people think they mean. Normally I would let that sort of thing slide, but in this case it was a pretty egregious example of people not understanding statistics. It's also kind of depressing that people weren't more skeptical, since it should immediately seem really suspicious that one of the most disadvantaged demographics in the nation would be the most college educated (though the real statistics actually are pretty impressive in light of that). In general I think liberals overestimate their own competence relative to conservatives - they're often just as willing to blindly trust sources that tell them what they want to hear.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I've never gotten a wrong text, just lots of wrong calls. Does anyone just type numbers into their phone to text anymore?

I got one once that was a little hard to decipher but seemed to be talking about the leather seats in a car being uncomfortable when the sender and her boyfriend were loving on them. I wish I had been following this thread (if it even existed) back when this happened, because it was like a real life stdh. I didn't reply to it though.

edit: This was about 5 years ago I think.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hardcordion posted:

Something like this happened to me once actually. I don't quite remember if it was due to delays or whatever but my dad and I ended up being two of only about seven or eight passengers on-board for a flight that would normally hold at least 120. I don't know how believable the Metalica and the pilot's comments are but the crew definitely seemed more relaxed than usual and the attendants told us jokes and stories about working in the airline industry over the PA. It was pretty rad honestly.

I had this happen around 2007 or so where there were just 3 passengers on the plane, but it was a short NYC to Boston flight and was on a smallish plane that probably wouldn't hold more than 50-60 people normally. Most importantly, it was at some weird hour like 4am.

The attendants weren't any different, but we could freely stretch out and sit wherever we wanted.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

life is killing me posted:

It reads less like someone trying to sound extra eloquent and therefore smart, and much more like someone whose first language wasn't English. There is too much overuse of phrases like "let me tell you" and a few too many grammatical errors. Someone repeating "let me tell you" as much as the writer did, tells me it's a fallback phrase because they aren't sure how to convey whatever it is they are trying to convey, and thus just repeat the same phrase because it's familiar to them.

I think you overestimate the writing ability of many native English speakers. I can definitely believe that the story was written by a native speaker.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

A playable antique cello is more likely to cost thousands if not tens of thousands, bowed wood instruments are insanely expensive

Yeah; I used to play cello fairly seriously in high school, and my mid-tier, non-antique cello cost about $8,000. A couple other cellists in my symphony had instruments worth well over $10k. Even a "not completely poo poo tier" cello is going to run well over $1000.

I guess it's possible that the cello in question was some really lovely cello that just happened to be 50 years old or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

sweeperbravo posted:

that's what my firend who is indian told me when we were like 10

This indirectly reminds me of a childhood stdh.txt. Growing up I was best friends with this Indian guy, and we had a kind of competitive relationship (in terms of academics, extra-curriculars, etc). I remember one time, after he came back from taking a trip to see his mom's side of the family in India (his dad's family actually lives in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, which apparently has a large Indian community), he told me that in India the streets are paved with gold.

Troper posted:

This troper's feet are rotated about 45 degrees out, while her knees are rotated about 45 degrees in (Body Horror, anyone?), which has predisposed her for knee injuries. While bouncing lightly on her toes before fencing practice, she somehow managed to snap something inside of her kneecap that basically sprained her knee. To this day, the doctor still has no idea what the hell she did to herself. Both of her knees pop and snap with no warning, and the joints will start getting loose and snapping around if she's been standing for too long.

Sounds like that troper might have a valgus deformity of the hip or knee. I have that condition and it turned out the popping was due to the cartilage being all hosed up, so I had surgery on both knees that involved scraping away the existing cartilage in order to stimulate the growth of new cartilage. The surgery worked pretty well.

It is kind of fun casually weirding people out with how far I can turn my feet around. I can turn one around so far that points the opposite direction while parallel to my other foot (and can even got a bit further than that).

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Feb 24, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

I thought about this thread as it started popping up on Facebook yesterday. I get that part of what drives this thread is cynicism, and that sometimes you want a feel good story. But how can you read that and not be skeptical?

I really think classes for kids on Internet behaviors should involve installing a healthy amount of skepticism in them.

I think in many cases people realize the stories are fake, but treat them as real as part of an unspoken "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" agreement. Like, if everyone in a social group constantly believes and compliments each other, they'll be believed and complimented in turn. This sort of faux-kindness seems especially common in the south, though I'm sure it exists in Facebook groups for housewives and what have you elsewhere as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

That story doesn't immediately scream fake to me like most others, BUT it was posted to Reddit for fake internet points so either it is made up or the parents are exploiting their child for karma.

Either way burn Reddit to the ground

I feel like there's a mismatch between the amount/quality of the writing/syntax and the handwriting quality. Like, any kid beyond first or second grade shouldn't have hand-writing that bad, and in first grade (maybe second also but I can only speak for first since my mom taught it for decades) kids generally are just writing individual sentences.