Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I loved Mirror's Edge and played that game so many times. It's one of my all-time favorites and I was extremely excited for this game as soon as I heard it was announced.

The overall aesthetics of the original game were very appealing to me, including the city's design, the character design, and the music especially. Solar Fields did the soundtrack to the original and as soon as I heard he was back for Catalyst I was sold. The music just complements the game so well, it never overshadows anything going on and always enhances the situation.

I never had a problem with the controls, though, and I played on PS3. When I was working on the speed runs through each chapter I did have some frustrations doing some very tricky moves, but otherwise it played well. I'm glad they're getting rid of guns because some of the forced combat sections like the garage in the Shard or the Boat never flowed well.

Everything I've heard about Catalyst sounds like the devs are handling this right. They haven't messed with the core running aspect and, while I don't have the details on the unlock system, I can't imagine that you won't be able to do your basic moves (wall runs, slides, rolls, vaults, etc) from the get-go. And I think the open world fits this kind of thing perfect because it's all about the journey where most open world games it's about the destination.

So that's my take on Mirror's Edge. I'm glad that I'll have Uncharted to help get through the days leading up to reheat l release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

On the subject of more disappointing news, the game is delayed again!

http://www.mirrorsedge.com/news/mec...05&sf45807251=1

June 7th for North America, and June 8th for Europe.

:dice: :argh:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I agree that the kneejerk reaction to the skill tree is a little overblown. While they could certainly do away with the tree without detracting from the game, skill progression is the current state of game design.

I'm sure it will be like MGS5 where you can beat the game without upgrades, though they'll make the game easier, when in previous games (PW aside) you had your entire skillset immediately and the only progression was more health.

If you're still salty about the existence of a skill tree, think about it as a plot device. Faith has been in jail for awhile so it's only natural her skills have deteriorated. By getting back to running you can improve your skills and become a super runner again.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

I forgot if they made a point of this but I remember EA and DICE saying you could pretty much create your own time trials and poo poo so you could just jump around forever.

I think one of the dev diaries covers this and I think this is a big plus to the open world, assuming it has enough variety and is large enough to handle a lot of unique paths. I hope that they catch any movement bugs that could tilt the playing field like that air push move to get you instantly to max speed in the first game. I could never get that down.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

surc posted:

Hey thanks, I completely missed the boat on even knowing they were doing a beta, for this, the surely and undeniably terrible sequel to one of my favorite games, so I snagged your code, and really appreciate you sharing it! Hopefully it's actually good and fun.

E: I'll make sure to report back with my informed opinions on how definitely bad this game is, and will probably be streaming it, tonight after work.

I don't know why you're so butthurt that someone disagreed with your statement that this game was going to be lovely for having combat and some skill upgrades. It's still a running game at its core and there's going to be even more to do than the original because you're able to run anywhere you want between story chapters.

Conflict is something that you can't do away with in this game, either. Without it you'd might as well just make a whole game like the Pure Time Trials pack (which I'm sure people would want, but even more want a narrative). Dice at least recognized that the combat sections in the original broke the flow too much so they did away with guns (one of the biggest complaints of the original) and made it so you can take down guys easier while running without stopping your momentum to do it.

The skills, they didn't have to include this mechanic, I'll say that right off the bat, but I don't think they'll ruin the game either. I don't know why this is such a hot button issue when we don't know the extent of it. If it's something like blocking wall running until you hit runner rank 25 or something like that then yeah Dice deserves to be vilified for that, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with how well they did with the original.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

DropsySufferer posted:

The character from the first game is not as good looking as this new character. This is a hard thing to objectively prove so this is just my opinion that's all I can say.

I liked the character design from the first game better myself. I'm just a little disappointed that this reboot had to make her look a cuter and more attractive. I wanted a tough strong character that's all.

What makes you think the Catalyst version of Faith is any weaker than OG Faith? At the risk of generalizing, in both designs she has the same soft features most Asian women have, similarly practical clothing (slim 3/4-length pants, tight-fitting black top, red running shoes), and a slim frame. She has never been depicted as muscular, and I think the load screens in the first game even mention that Faith is physically weaker than the cops she encounters so she needs to utilize her intelligence and agility to beat them.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Downloading the beta now, hopefully this will tide me over for awhile!

If anyone didn't sign up for the beta on PS4, here's my friend code: CH5Q-53NL-MEFF

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

AirRaid posted:

Having said that there are already times on the Dash challenges which are mindboggling to me. Like 10 second faster than the quickest route I've found. This loops back round to me being bad though.

I hope they store a ghost of the fastest time for each run that is viewable. I consider myself good at these games (I have the plat for the original) and some of these are just untouchable. I'm content with not being number 1 if I can still get the 3 stars, but I'd still like to know how these times are made and whether they're legit or not.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

those dash challenges are good but has anyone even done the delivery mission? I feel like with the nonexistent navigation/waypoints they are impossible. I've tried to do the vial delivery and statue delivery and jesus christ, it seems the time limits given are WAY too short. I genuinely thought they were impossible but maybe I'm just bad, because there are just no indicators about where you're going unless you bring up the map. And even then, if you change the waypoint, you can't get the original one loving back. Worst part is hearing those stupid voiceovers again and again so I just quit.
I think my biggest gripe so far is that when you set a waypoint, it can actually get hidden by loving architecture, which is insanely bad because every building in the city can potentially hide it.

Also really hated that the loving glass in the building infiltration mission seemed completely transparent, making me run into it several times. Also in the Birdman pigeon rescue sidemission, there was a gate with the pigeon in it and I could not climb over it. Even doing the walljump, I hit an invisible wall and could not reach it. So, that was the end of the beta for me. I just really hope they fix the navigation waypoint stuff because it's a big city, and not being able to have little indicators for even side missions would make this annoyingly unplayable for me.

The deliveries are definitely tough. There's one going from dropbox to dropbox that the echo sends you right and down stairs when the goal is actually left and up some obstacles, completely inaccessible from how you're directed to go and it's hard to figure out otherwise. Wouldn't be so bad if the load time to reset wasn't so long.

The Birdman mission isn't as bad as you think. That fence has barbed wire on it so you can't scale it, but looking around you'll find a wall you can wall run to get up on a ledge with a cloth hanging off it and you can get into the fenced area like that.

I do agree that navigation could be better even just having an on-screen waypoint for where you're headed. The open world is nice in that there are so many ways to navigate the map, but when you're on a strict time limit not knowing where you're going is an instant failure.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Agoat posted:

It's worth noting you'll have all of the relevant movement upgrades within an hour or two. It's just so that you can learn them one move at a time.

Not even an hour. I had the quickturn and roll within a half hour of roaming around, and the coil within an hour of total playtime. That's everything you had from the start of the original game available to you while you're still finding your feet and doing tutorial missions.

The whole upgrade system feels like they wanted to make you stronger in fights as the game progresses, hence the bonus damage to enemy types, but they felt it was probably too light with just that so they stripped some of the non-essential movement abilities and added them to the skill tree. I doubt it was their intention to lock some of the movement abilities from the get-go, rather a consequence of their approach in other areas of the design.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

On first listen, I like it. I loved "Still Alive" by Lisa Miskovsky because it was pretty minimalist, like a lot of the game and still captured a lot of the feel of the game. The sound of "Warning Call" feels like it fits with the Solar Fields' music so I'm glad that the song fits aesthetically as well as thematically.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Are you ready for more Mirror's Edge? Because you're getting more Mirror's Edge:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/26/mirrors-edge-tv-show-endemol-biggest-loser/

please be good please be good please be good

There's definitely potential there. If this gets legs I hope that they focus on Faith and keep her Asian (probably a lot easier to do than if this were a big budget Hollywood undertaking). I don't think this would work if they tried setting it in any major city that exists in real life; a lot of the themes in Mirror's Edge involve the sterile nature of the city, both in terms of it's appearance and in the government's control over it. The first game seemed like it was set in Bizarro-Tokyo where suddenly English was the main language for 90% of the place. Maybe that could work?

Anyway, I hope Catalyst sells well so that they would be more inclined to follow through on this.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Slate Action posted:

Chris Carter at Destructoid gave his impressions after playing six hours of the game:

https://www.destructoid.com/impressions-mirror-s-edge-catalyst-365226.phtml

In summary, he found the story to be "horrible" but otherwise seemed quite positive about the game.

So he doesn't pay any attention to the story and cutscenes, and we're supposed to believe his word that it's all horrible?

Gail Wynand posted:

It's based on Singapore, the art team went there for inspiration and some of the building models from the original are copies of buildings there.

Ah, I didn't know that! Makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it (including all the English).

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Alternatively, if you can kick a KSEC guard onto a slightly lower ledge you can just goomba-stomp them for an instant KO.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have weirdly never noticed. not saying your wrong.

Uncharted 4 is really bad with this. The circle button is both the dodge roll and snap to cover. So half the time when you're trying to avoid gunfire you'll snap to an inconvenient cover point and the other half you'll roll instead of getting into cover.

I haven't gotten into enough combat situations to have problems, but light attack and heavy attack are pretty standard setups. Then again, the game has been fairly buggy so far so maybe it's something that can be patched?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Soccus Nephropidae posted:

I remember reading that the vibration is meant to kick in on your landings to remind you to roll? Maybe its sparsity is to do with accentuating that?

It's because of this and it's super useful. Timing rolls isn't difficult, but knowing exactly how high Faith has to fall before she needs to roll was really tough. Now there are two indicators, the vibration and the sound of air whooshing past, that start when you need to roll.

I really love this game so far. One thing I've noticed is that DICE wants you to go back and replay missions. In Benefactor I noticed there were a few spots that you could double wallrun through (including one leading to a hidden bag) and Benefactor is the mission that you have to complete to unlock double wallrun in the first place. I like that there's a small-scale Metroid vibe in how you get new ways to traverse the city and coming back to older areas means finding new paths you couldn't take before.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

psivamp posted:

I don't like time trial modes, but I enjoyed Mirror's Edge. I also enjoyed the beta of this until I ran out of non-time trial things to do.

I really hope there's an option to disable all of the social nonsense because I am asocial and don't need or want to see a fake quest thing to try to replicate some guy's crazy once-in-a-lifetime series of bunny-hops across a set of antenna tips every five steps.

The time trials in the beta seemed especially bad since you couldn't place waypoints well. There was one that the qualifying time was like 13 seconds and the highlight route was about a minute. I could get there in 30 seconds but couldn't even conceive of what route could get you there in 10 seconds for the 3 star time.

Either play offline or just ignore the social markers. They don't really beat you over the head with the social stuff, and if you're not interested in the time trials so much then you'll probably ignore the other red circles for the user-generated time trials.

Speaking of, does anyone know how to race against ghosts in time trials? I read that it was possible, but when I come up to one there's no option to do so. I'd like to figure out how some people get times 15 seconds or more faster than the 3-star time. Also, what's the point of the Beat L.E.'s around? They don't really seem to do anything. I stuck one up on top of that black cube art structure in Triumverate Drive (I think?) because it was hard to climb up to.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I'm not sure what you were expecting in combat, but as far as first person games go this has deeper combat than just about any of them. And sorry you're bad at remembering that LB = jump :shrug: that's what the game's all about and the controls are super simple.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is it the one with the high rise pendulum? That map was awesome.

Yeah, and I loved the way the crane arm lurched as you ran up it to get to the final part of the level.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, that's Benefactor.

I love on that mission when Faith says to someone over the com the equivalent of "I'm enjoying myself", because that's exactly what I was doing.

Some of the cutscenes stutter on PS4 as well, I just don't know what the gently caress.

At least until she realizes she's seriously damaging the tower and probably killing a bunch of people despite evacuating the employs with the fire alarm.

I haven't had any cutscenes stuttering, though the sound has dropped out for a couple seconds while just out running around a few times for me. I noticed some bad shadows under a VTOL in a cutscene and sometimes the textures are low res when I'm pulling the chips out of AllCom boxes, but for the most part the game has run really well for me.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

bloodysabbath posted:

How many side missions are there (not billboards, etc., but ones that show in the menu under the side missions tab)?

I don't have an exact number, but it seems like 2-3 for every main story mission that comes up.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

If you're confused at all about the various terms and such thrown around, then you should check out the extensive lore on the Mirror's Edge website. The game throws you right into things and you probably didn't realize how much thought was put into the world this time around.

http://www.mirrorsedge.com/intel/cascadia

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

With the first or second sentry gun mission, the one in the construction site while the black November lady is yelling at you the whole time (God shut up), am I just bad at being fast, or is there really no way to not get shot? It felt weird to be going full tilt through the level and still be getting pinged by the guns, though my focus shield still tanked most of it.

There's no way to not get shot, you have to maintain focus shield to get through unscathed. The whole point of the mission is to stay mobile to survive their fire.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Yeah, I need runner vision on in some manner for the time trial side missions. The parameters for completion are too tight without.

I have mine set to classic and found that when you enter a long, open area and it's not clear where to go, you can push R3 and you'll get the red echo to give you a hint. It won't stay active, but it's good in a pinch if you get turned around.

One of the keys to success with these missions is repetition. I find it fun (and frustrating at the same time) to run a route and find new ways to shave seconds off the time. It's also a lot easier this time around to restart a run so it never feels like you're waiting too long for it to load again. In fact, I'm kind of amazed at how quickly the game loads in general.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

ApathyGifted posted:

Do the dead drop deliveries just respawn over and over? I've done about half a dozen and don't seem to be decreasing the number on the map. And if they do, are there any other side-missions like that? The internet seems to be unhelpful in answering this question for some reason, I just get a lot of youtube videos of people doing dead drop runs whenever I search about it.

Yeah, they spawn infinitely because they're all point-to-point runs starting and ending with those boxes on the walls. You'll notice the boxes scattered about, but most never seem to be ones you interact with because the run hasn't been generated yet. If you really needed more novelty in your runs then it's available that way.

Edit: Does anyone know if some of the move combo trophies are location specific? I've been trying to do the one that's "shift, wallrun, jump, coil, skill roll, shift" and I just can't seem to get it to pop.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 13, 2016

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

The story dosn't seem that terrible. I mean so far it's by the numbers as hell, but it does well enough an excuse to run from the cops and break into megacorps.

I agree, the overarching plot is pretty standard, and the big twist that Isabel Kruger is Faith's sister is so Shakespearian it hurts, but I thought the overall setting is really interesting and worth diving deeper down. It's a shame they didn't do more with the world they built (seriously go read their wiki); seems like they were intent on making the game play really, really well and then built the story around that.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Kind of keep wishing the goddamn cops stop spawning after the end of the game. Makes casual running a pain in the rear end.

I agree, and it's especially bad that you can't just run around them because once they notice you it goes into full on manhunt mode. Easiest way to get around it is just up jump off a building. You'll get a checkpoint right where you jumped, but no KSec anywhere in sight. The only remaining problem are the annoying security cameras when you're looking for hidden stuff, but I've been systematically destroying them with the disrupt ability and it seems like they stay broken permanently.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Something that wasn't very well elaborated on is that OmniStat used to control the entire Cascadia region, and the tunnels under Glass were a huge desalination plant since Glass is right on ocean. There's been an uneasy ceasefire between OmniStat and Cascadia, but OmniStat wants that land back because fresh water is increasingly scarce and they need access to the sea. The spy at the Elysium lab was from OmniStat and corporate espionage must be rampant in Cascadia.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Wanderer posted:

That reminds me of something I was wondering about the final mission. Was there ever an explanation for the explosion at the Shard? I assumed it was Black November, but if it was ever actually explained, I sure didn't see it.

No, I don't think it was explained. I also assumed it was Black November because after Faith said she wasn't giving them Reflection blueprints Rebecca responded by saying she still has ways of dealing major blows to the Conglomerate.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe. but i doubt there will be a sequel. then again homefront got a reboot/sequel. so who knows.

It really feels like they were setting this game up with a sequel in mind, though we'll need to see some sales figures before really speculating on that.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

The soundtrack by Solar Fields was released on Friday and... it's 32 tracks with a runtime over 5 hours. :fap:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Is it a track by Crvrches or something that would have a rights issue?

I don't see why that would be an issue since this was the official EA-released soundtrack and Chvrches was brought on to do the spiritual successor to Still Alive. I also don't remember what song played in that instance so don't take my word for it. I was surprised Warning Call wasn't included at all on this release, though.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

GUI posted:

What determines the speed of Faith's animation when vaulting over objects after a long jump? Testing it on the same places, sometimes it'll be instant while other times it'll take a while which is making Dashes a pain to 3 star.
Does the Shift bar actually increase your speed when it fills up or does it serve no purpose in non-combat situations?

What do you mean by a long jump? The only real variation that troubled me with Faith's movement was jumping up to higher objects where sometimes she'd get her foot up on the level and others she'd have to grab it and pull herself up. Mostly it was due to angle. I know there was a dash in Shimmering Heights that gave me hell - it was going from where the Savant mission was back toward Plastic's Lair and after you ziplined across you'd springboard off a railing up to another rooftop and it was incredibly finicky which animation you'd get and the timing was so tight that was enough to determine whether you got 3 stars or not.

That bar doesn't improve your speed at all, it's just your amount of invincibility from bullets when you're running. You should still shift at every opportunity when you get slowed down for one reason or another otherwise it'll take longer to hit top speed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Yeah, we were talking about the same thing and that's the exact jump I was talking about (just on a different dash). As far as I can tell the only thing that seems to affect it is the angle at which you approach the ledge. After you springboard off the railing, if you're hitting the ledge straight on I think Faith tends to do the slow animation, but if you hit it at an angle (the more acute the better) then she'll tend to do the quicker one. Hope that helps.

• Locked thread