Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ShineDog posted:

Dunno, I never really got around to playing it.

What's weirding me out is the setting, it's very, very reminiscent of the way the syndicate reboot recently handled corporate futures. Notably, this isn't set in a recognisable america, it appears to be set in a nation ruled by conglomeration of corporades called Cascadia, where citizens are legally obligated to hold jobs with the corporates. Cascadia is at odds with another nation called Omnistat, whose deal I haven't figured out yet, but theres some stuff that implies to me that this isn't just future earth, it's future earth possibly centuries after some kind of cataclysmic war before it rebuilt into shiny happy bizarre corporate nightmare land. It might be kind of cool if all the plot wasn't so drat cackhanded.

Pleased to discover the game takes place where I live

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_%28independence_movement%29

Excited to play more ME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the combat itself works. but the game relies to like 2 buttons to do everything and sometimes it just breaks and does the wrong thing. its almost too simplified.

Naught Dog games do that, too. A single button for 3-4 distinct actions. It's infuriating.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TLoU multiplayer has it bad: triangle has four functions: revive teammate/open crate/pick up items/shiv

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Actually, Mirror's Edge was good. It doesn't really need a qualifier.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kinda weird how little controller vibration there is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the default configurations are all wrong

Turned Runner Vision to 'classic'

Turned FOV to 70

Turned music waaaaayyyy up (also voices)

Immediately bought [Quickturn]

...aside from the weirdly absent use of controller vibration everything is playing splendid

edit; also, Sam Bishop...if you're there, I hacked your loving viewscreen with a big ol SNACKYTONGS dove

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fuckin A, this game kicks rear end. The traversal has been sped up and streamlined to a remarkable degree.

I feel like the reviews are a smear campaign or something, because I'm just tooling around aimlessly through the city having a blast.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nichael posted:

I don't think critics were overly enthused with the first either. Game critics want something different, but when they get it, they often give it bad reviews. Though of course "bad" in video game journalism is "7/10" or "8/10" because everything about that industry is dumb and ridiculous.

Yeah, I guess that's what I mean.

drat, the way to play this game is to turn runner vision completely off and just explore. It's like platforming zen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

teacup posted:

I'm hearing a lot of being able to turn on and off the new features for the world. I'm not a "turn off everything / fox only no items final destination" kinda player but I'm of two minds with Mirror's Edge. I didn't mind the red highlights in the last one, and sometimes got frustrated at parts that weren't clearly signposted. However I also don't want it to be too insanely signposted like "JUMP HERE" ... what options are people finding a happy medium between?

The red highlights are a bit ugly in this game so I turned them off, though I always played with them in ME1.

I had runner vision turned to classic (ME1 style) and found it kind of ugly and unnecessary. Runner vision isn't really important anymore in my opinion. Spend 30 minutes with it completely off and you'll probably keep it off, mainly because the objects in the world that can be interacted with are much more consistent and well defined, and the environments are designed in a way that gives you more confidence in traversal along with the enhanced movement/momentum.

When runner vision is off you'll start really analyzing the environment and zoning in on poo poo easily, and you won't feel like the game has you on a leash. If you get lost there's always a map for reference, and you can still set a primary waypoint from the map so you know the general direction. Also there are footprints and decorative markings literally everywhere on the common paths around the game world. And there are still red waypoint trails for time trials.

gently caress me, I just played this game for 7 hours straight. I haven't even eaten.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Additionally, I highly recommend turning up the FOV to 70 at least; cool that the console versions have that feature for once.

I also turned up the music volume quite a bit and turned off enemy stamina bars and the center dot. The game plays a lot better when the environmental clues aren't competing for screen time with unnecessary HUD items.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shoren posted:

Either play offline or just ignore the social markers. They don't really beat you over the head with the social stuff, and if you're not interested in the time trials so much then you'll probably ignore the other red circles for the user-generated time trials.

Speaking of, does anyone know how to race against ghosts in time trials? I read that it was possible, but when I come up to one there's no option to do so. I'd like to figure out how some people get times 15 seconds or more faster than the 3-star time. Also, what's the point of the Beat L.E.'s around? They don't really seem to do anything. I stuck one up on top of that black cube art structure in Triumverate Drive (I think?) because it was hard to climb up to.

I couldn't figure out Beat L.E. either. I just bookmark every one I come to.

The Walrus posted:

wait you need to turn the FOV *up* to 70? Good lord.

You don't need to do anything.

Wanderer posted:

Nah, the game's genuinely not great. It's probably fine if all you want to do is bomb around the city, but the story missions get increasingly stupid as they go, and something like 90% of my deaths are down to too many kinds of traversal being bound to the same button. It's certainly a novel game, but it's not well made.

I do run into a problem where muscle memory from other games affects my ability to play this one, though. I kept wanting to hit A to jump, for example.

We must be on different planets then, 'cause this game delivers entirely on the unfulfilled promises of the first game without losing nearly anything that made it unique.

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's going through the exact same review process as the first game. Games journalists gonna gam jurnalist!

This is the only conclusion I can come to, like bandwagon effect in full force. I get the feeling that some reviewers are eager to get back to playing/reviewing other games so they just blast through the story mode following the red ghost trail (the worst!).

I mean, that red stream is for super-novice players ONLY. The whole point this time around is that you can take whatever route you want, unlike the first game.

Turn off runner vision, don't be a slave!

Game owns.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 8, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Nah, son. The combat's shallow, the controls are poorly considered, the best parts of the city look like an airport lounge at 3 AM, and doing safety rolls in first person gave me a headache after the first day.

It certainly is unique, and no one can take that away from it, but I put maybe 20 hours into it over the weekend and it's difficult to regard it as anything other than an interesting failure. There's no bandwagon here; you're just one of the handful of people who somehow managed to enjoy the first game, and thus, you're exactly who the second game was made for.

Yeah, sounds like it's not for you. Motion sickness turned a lot of people off the first game, too.

It's true, I like my runmans to an absurd degree. I'm glad they didn't change the core gameplay other than speeding it up a little.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

By coding the game so every traversal move is keyed to the same button, it virtually guarantees a series of obnoxious deaths where you go for one traversal move and due to some fluke, get another. If anything, the controls are too simple. Many other parkour-influenced games will deal with this issue by assigning jumping to a separate button from wall-running. If you could rebind the wall-run to the right trigger, for example, as it was done in Sands of Time, that would address most of my problems with it.

I dunno, this is how it was in the first game and it's far more reliable here. In my opinion if my character fails on a specific occasion to enter a wall run because I misjudge the distance it's in my interest that there is at least some possibility for a vault to take place without me having to press another button. Having to keep in mind more buttons for similar actions in a tight would be frustrating as hell, especially when you get to complex traversals that require repeated pivots, I mean, at that point it becomes a struggle for your brain to keep up with muscle memory.

shift left -- > wall run left -> wall run up -> pivot -> jump -> tuck -> soft roll

[R2+L] --> [L1] --> [L1] --> [R1] --> [L1] --> [R2+L2] --> [R2]

That's a fairly complex string of button presses in my opinion (but not even as complex as the games get), one that I can previsualize the architecture for in my head because it pops up so frequently in both games. I'm not sure I'd want any more buttons added to that mix.

[shift] + L or R stick is a loving revolution in mobility though, a huge improvement.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Man, people are on crack reviewing this game. The combat is cool and keeps you super mobile, and a lot of situations you can just run through with your focus shield and kick people out of the way without even losing speed. The way that DICE has set it up you can easily level a room of 4-5 dudes all shooting at you if you just mix up your attacks.

Vault and drop onto # 1, shift to the side, topple kick the second into the third, slide kick # 2, heavy combo # 3, shift side twice, shift forward fast attack # 4 into a window, pivot, run away from four dead fucks.

If you get countered you are doing the same move too many times in a row.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 9, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

The combat works pretty well for that in the open world, but really suffers when it just drops you into an arena, especially if you have to restart and go in without any Focus Shield. There are a couple of rooms in the middle to late story that work directly against the combat's strengths.

I'll also admit I get a bit salty about how the dudes with guns can peg you from two buildings away, which can be obnoxious if you're trying to get somewhere and accidentally lose Focus.

In a slightly different system, the button presses aren't that different. A similar sequence in Prince of Persia on PSOne would be something like LS + R1 -> X -> X, and it'd automate the soft roll if one was required. The execution comes from timing, rather than the mechanical complexity of the execution, and that's the sort of system I grew up in.

I do think you've touched on something here, in that it's bizarre that the mid-air tuck is a Movement upgrade in Catalyst, rather than something you just know how to do.

It's just an upgrade because they're trying not throw too many mechanics at the player at once. I mean, the number of skills can look a bit daunting to a newbie, but most of them are unlocked by the 5th mission.

Also, shift builds focus immediately, and even in an arena shifting before every attack increases your power and resistance. Arenas with 5 dudes are literal cheesecake if you mix up your attacks. But guess what I see the video reviewers doing...the exact opposite.

Hell, you even get a longer slide from standing still if you shift forward at the same time. There are so many tools at your disposal.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 9, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wow, the Benefactor mission is videogame bliss. It reminds me of the 'Kate' mission in ME1, all the scaffolding and perfect ambient music.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is it the one with the high rise pendulum? That map was awesome.

Yeah, that's Benefactor.

I love on that mission when Faith says to someone over the com the equivalent of "I'm enjoying myself", because that's exactly what I was doing.

Kithyen posted:

I completed the main story last night. Although it's pretty quick, I have to say, like the first Mirror's Edge, I see myself replaying this game quite a few times.

Some of the cutscenes stutter on PS4 as well, I just don't know what the gently caress.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 9, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

The combat is loving terrible. I'm on mission 7, the one after benefactor. And I'm just basically in what is an arena and have to kill about 12 guards without dying. It is painfully unfun, and difficult. Because the gunners always hit you so you're immediately down to the last health bar, then just running around trying not to die.

The rest of the game is brilliant though.

Edit: this bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5XSLxscP-M&t=383s

Even on the walkthrough he's just running around for 5 minutes trying to survive. Must be one of the worst sections of a game I've played.

That part's pretty easy homes, you should have no trouble taking on that many guys if you're shifting in all directions enough. Make sure you mix up your attacks, if you do you should be able to beat that part on the first try. The gun dudes go down the easiest, so if you have to just get them out of the way first by shifting laterally a bunch. Use the environment to your advantage and drop in on some dudes.

The only problem I can see people having is against the elite dude if you haven't purchased the pull 'trade places' skill, but once you have that they are pushovers.

I turned off the display for enemy stamina bars and it had the indirect effect of making me fight faster and more recklessly. The game wants you to shift around a lot, mix it up, jumping attacks, sliding attacks, heavy mixed with light, tumble dudes into each other!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

With the first or second sentry gun mission, the one in the construction site while the black November lady is yelling at you the whole time (God shut up), am I just bad at being fast, or is there really no way to not get shot? It felt weird to be going full tilt through the level and still be getting pinged by the guns, though my focus shield still tanked most of it.

I got shot a bit, but not enough. Eventually I just cleared the place out of a desire to explore. The gun dudes can't take more than a hit or two.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TerminalSaint posted:

This is gaming, don't you know that anything below a 9.5 should be seen as a scathing indictment questioning whether the developers deserve to continue breathing the same air as the rest of us?

Scores don't mean anything to me, really, but some of these same reviewers forgot to write about MGSV being half a game. The discrepancy exists.

I guess Konami's prerelease party was better.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too bad those mission highrises in the construction area shortly after the Sanctuary missions seem to be offlimits for freerunning after the mission has been done. Either that, or I don't find an access.

--edit: Also I wish you could force noon time of day.

--edit: I found the first part of these buildings. At some point, there's a 90° pipe that's only shows in the mission preventing you from proceeding. This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xILmay49Y6k&t=530s

:(

I think you're right, though you can replay the mission from the menu...but that's probably not what you want.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Soccus Nephropidae posted:

These side missions are awful, I would honestly prefer more combat stuff in the side missions and less in the main story, open world suits dynamic combat encounters more imo. I get that you're meant to learn your way around the various routes but having to listen to the same bullshit dialogue and gently caress up at the same tricky spots again and again is killing my enjoyment. I've been playing with runner vision off but had to turn it on just to get a basic idea of the routes for these awful delivery and diversion missions.

Yeah, I need runner vision on in some manner for the time trial side missions. The parameters for completion are too tight without.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, if you loved the first game, then you'll love this one. The running mechanics in MEC are all super refined and I imagine going back to ME1 at this point would feel really rough. New game also has like 20x more content, and that feeling when you enter a huge environmental puzzle and the background music kicks in is still amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

How come all my billboards say Sam Bishop. Is he my...nemesis?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

^^^^^^^^ I don't think they despawn, mainly because they are considered timetrials that you can do over and over.

Performing a 6 or 7-string wallrun combo and landing with a backwards softroll makes you feel like a total boss. Also, keeping momentum out of a slide using roll.

edit; it's kind of amazing how fast you can clear a room of 8 guys by the end of the game. Everything flows so well that it's barely 40 seconds before the ground is littered with shattered faceplates.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 13, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Soccus Nephropidae posted:

This is gonna sound weird but the combat is like my favourite part of this game and I love kicking people in the side of the head, it's definitely more fun than the delivery missions which feel like something from a PS2 era game.

Also just spent a whole session collecting all 50 gridleaks in the under construction area without a guide and it was pretty fun.

Also yeah the automated delivery ones are procedurally generated i think, I retried one I couldn't do a while later and it had a new destination.

It's not my favorite part, but I definitely agree that it's super satisfying. I honestly think a lot of people don't understand the mechanics of chaining attacks.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

I really think this game is way underrated. I don't get how it can be scoring 50-70 from reviewers and even less from users, when the core gameplay is so solid and fun if you enjoyed the original ME. They have successfully nailed the open world concept and the map is fairly large with a decent amount of stuff to do. Also it looks really great, on my PC anyway. Yeah fine the story isn't amazing, but neither was the originals so I don't get it...

My feeling as well. Mostly I just got the feeling that the reviewers didn't really want to be playing it in the first place and therefore didn't try to learn the mechanics.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shoren posted:

Edit: Does anyone know if some of the move combo trophies are location specific? I've been trying to do the one that's "shift, wallrun, jump, coil, skill roll, shift" and I just can't seem to get it to pop.

None of it's location specific, just very touchy about finesse.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

orcane posted:

Even Stirling's review isn't really unfair, it just highlights this caveat of "if you enjoyed the original ME", which has always meant a game gets like 70-80% in video game scoring systems (depending on how competently it's made).

If you like just running, the game has a lot of content indeed, but even someone who generally likes the running part might expect more variety than endless time trials, and even though some people like the combat you can't say it's universally good.

Other issues reviewers mentioned are also fair. The story is terrible even for video game standards and more importantly, it's overall worse than in Mirror's Edge. The open world is lifeless and somewhat limiting and the collectibles are a "me too" feature and they don't really add anything except XP for the mandatory "character progression" system. Worse, many of them stop you dead in your tracks, which goes against the whole flow of running idea.

How much you value each of these points is relative of course, which is why numerical scores are of limited use, but even as a fan you should be able to see that some aspects of the game aren't great or will not be appreciated by a general gaming audience.

That being said, people should play it because it's good and cool and fun.

And there's still not much like it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

I've been talking about it a lot lately, kicking around my reaction vs. that of a couple of people I know who liked it more than I did.

ME as a series sort of revels in its relative inaccessibility. There are very few skills you can transfer to it from other games, for example, because most of what you can name that's even vaguely comparable, like Assassin's Creed, are third-person games. They also generally have parkour as a feature, rather than the entire point thereof.

(It's weird that, as far as I know, there's never been some kind of parkour equivalent to the Tony Hawk series, where you just dick around in a playground jumping off stuff and scoring points all day. I have to imagine there's an audience.)

That inaccessibility's a big part of why its reviews have been what they are, I think, because ME:C has such a different learning curve, especially for anyone who didn't sit down and master ME. If you like other platformers, it feels backwards; if you like other first-person games, it requires an entirely different approach. It feels like it's fighting you for every step you take. On top of that, it's just kind of a dick a lot of the time, like in the last level with the damaged glass panels that give you about a second's warning before breaking.

I don't think the story's that bad, though. I've seen a lot worse, and a lot less consistent.

I think you're on to something here, I mean most of the stuff that's designed to help a new player is entirely cosmetic and can be turned off in a menu...whereas the actual controls and mechanics are almost entirely the same from ME1, just sped up and made flashier. I think the only major thing they changed control wise is the attack buttons being face buttons rather than bumpers and triggers. The other thing that I've always noticed with ME is that to play it well I have to hold the controller in a very different way than I would for an FPS, sort of that light grip that I was used to on a PS2/3 controller. I'm sure that turns at least a few people off. Add to all that the main character being a woman/racial minority who doesn't shootmans.

GUI posted:

I'm going to assume that, like the first one, this game isn't selling very well since there's been an awful lack of buzz and that's ignoring minor things like it having a grand total of 30 reviews on Amazon compared to Doom's 230+.

You were too good for this sinful Earth, Mirror's Edge.

Doesn't really seem like much was put into marketing it, and the open beta seemed to generate more negative buzz than positive (the playable demo effect) because it was such a small part of the game. I think the devs really assumed the critical community would be more on their side, since it was that same community that had done so much to hype it up over the last 10 years.

Also, and this is probably going to sound dumb, but there are some interesting subversive ideological elements buried in the mess of the story (insurgent socialist collectivism vs corporate suppression of thought, even some anticapitalist stuff about the fallacy of endless growth made it in there), stuff like that usually doesn't play well on an advertising level next to hoorah nationalism and spectacle. I was actually sort of surprised to hear stuff like that in a videogame at all, even just as voice acting, especially presented in a not-entirely negative frame of reference. That being said, I'd agree that even if the story isn't that good it also isn't that bad. It's boilerplate and somewhat naive, but the voice acting is all pretty fresh and convincing and nuanced, even if most of the characters aren't particularly deep. And the general presentation is quite fancy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

E: Also I liked the slow realisation that there are no trees in the city, there seem to be no living things but people and pigeons, there is no grass on the horizon, and you read some of the notes and realise whatever continent this is on is basically dead

Yeah, a lot of the time trial deliveries are prototype biological samples of one thing or another. Makes me wonder what food is made out of in Glass.

Though Dogen specifically mentions that most people in Glass have never eaten real meat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Watch this dude do Benefactor in 5 minutes and change. He doesn't even drop the LOAD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WMuLtEQvy0

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

... like in the last level with the damaged glass panels that give you about a second's warning before breaking.

Just discovered you can wallrun and avoid breaking most of it. Smoove move.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

That last mission sucked

Definitely wasn't a great showcase for the skills the game teaches you, but there were a few vertigo moments that really went above and beyond, conceptually.

As a 'fear of heights' person this game is some potent poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

having waited like 8 years for this game, playing it just feels boring as gently caress. There really is no reason for the open world at all. I pick up shitloads of these memory cards and dataleaks which are meaningless enough but on top of that, the rewards for colelcting them are incredibly bad. making it worse was all the E3 footage of Dishonored 2 which is going to poo poo all over this game in terms of tightly-crafted 1st person verticality.

I must be mentally ill or something 'cause I love the collectable crunch in this game. I normally hate both open-world/sandbox games and collectathons, but something about how smooth the traversal is combined with a sort of "how do I get there" puzzle element for the Grid-leaks, secret bags, and hackable billboards makes it incredibly engaging. But my favorite part of these games is the puzzle element anyways, so it's fine that the collectables don't have any significant unlocks. I might go for plat.

Coldforge posted:

Wait, did they seriously add a grappling hook to Mirror's Edge? Why are people still free climbing if they have grappling hooks?

It's a magnet line that hooks/hacks into certain installed camera equipment, and in the game world the autotarget interface displays on an Alternate Reality HUD that she wears on her contact lens.

Sort of weird, like some blackmarket tool.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 17, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

I do kinda want to see the pseudoscientific design document for the grappling hook, since the last story mission has you firing the goddamn thing about five stories straight up. It must be loaded with Spider-Man's webbing or something.

Yeah I don't know what the hell on that one, but I nearly lost my loving lunch on 2 or 3 occasions.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

IXIX posted:

Is there an opinion on whether to use KBM or controller? Never tried the original with the latter, only mouse - just personal preference?

It's weird because the playerbase might even be higher on PC for this type of game but I feel it was designed with a controller in mind.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

They're never going to do DLC...are they? :ohdear:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I noticed that guy, too...I think I missed the point of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, the last mission had awesome presentation, but it's a missed opportunity in terms of gameplay.

• Locked thread