Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Terper posted:

I forget, when in Route A does the conversation with 60 happen when she cries because the girl she liked rejected her?

Right after you accept the quest from Pascal to deliver the fuel filter and leave his village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Considering all you have to do after finishing Route C or D is just go to chapter select and jump to the final choice, strange that so many people chose not to see the other end

I think it's because the game doesn't explicitly point you in that direction. I suspect most people will view it as a Kaidan/Ashley scenario from Mass Effect where you make a single choice and that's that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm just at the beginning of the game and trying my best to avoid spoilers for once, but will paths to the different endings be fairly obvious or are some of them a puzzle?

Each route, except for the final one, is gotten to simply by continuing from the save you made at the end of the previous route.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tarezax posted:

The story ends with her realizing that the struggle to become beautiful was all meaningless, but it's all she has left so she clings to it. She wasn't narcissistic, merely obsessed with that ideal, as many of the robots in the game are. I personally think it's a great cautionary tale about not letting yourself be defined by such things.

She strongly mirrors the other characters in this game, and serves, in a way, as the ultimate expression of the central conflict: inhuman beings imitating humanity's appearance without understand the substance beneath those appearances. Even confident know-it-all Adam thinks that all he has to do is make cities, wear underwear, and eat fruit to understand humanity; he's like Mr. Hand from Dark City. "You were looking in the wrong place."

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

McDragon posted:

C Route: even the robot children aren't safe from Yoko Taro. Also Pascal had a really bad day.

Deleting his memories tugged on my chest the hardest out of anything in the game. It's incredible how much genuine emotion Taro-san can pull out of the simplest of scenes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

idiotmeat posted:

Christ, those hologram girls are creeping me the gently caress out.

Ending B had me laughing real hard at the choking/loving scene.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

idiotmeat posted:

I keep flashing back to evangelion at that scene.

It's absolutely copying EoE, but in a good way. 9S's mental breakdown also parallels Shinji's pretty closely, including the part where he's internally divided between loving the object of his affection (Asuka/2B) and wanting to kill her.

quote:

Having just finished playthrough B, I'm confused about something. Why did project gestalt fail? The archives said that humans died but there were still enough gestalts and replicants around to copy their genetic code. Also are the aliens really aliens? That seems rather convenient that humanity dies off and lol surprise humans are on the moom and lol aliens?

This is the storyline of the original NieR. The replicants began to develop sentience, which meant that they subconsciously rejected their Shades attempting to return to their bodies, causing the Shades to relapse and go insane. With the death of the Shadowlord due to Nier's actions, the one thing that was keeping the few remaining sane Shades from relapsing was gone, causing them all to relapse and ultimately ruining Project Gestalt.

The aliens are really aliens. In typical Yoko Taro fashion, they're actually from a gag ending of NieR, sort of like how NieR's events are caused by the gag ending of Drakengard.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Wait, which joke ending was this? I only know the first game from LPs and never saw it. Thought the aliens came from one of his short stories.

You might be right, actually. I can't recall if it was in-game or in a novella, only that it was mentioned in some form in the original NieR.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

3 replies, and no one responded to my urgent crisis?!

The game's narrative is failure proof. If you gently caress something up to the point of breaking the storyline in half, the game will stop and give you a humorous "ending" before returning you back to the game proper.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Pod 042 sneakily ended up being the best character in the game by the end.

It's seriously great how the Pods, by the end of route B, are clearly established as the game's Greek chorus, and then find themselves evolving not merely past their diegetic programming, but past their defined narrative role as their love for the protagonists grows.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Big spoilers regarding the timeline. So when the Androids are wiped out and remade each cycle or whatever are they not aware of what year it actually is or something? I find it odd how at the beginning they comment about how machines talking makes no sense and they've never seen that before but flash backs show that they've been talking and acting on their own for hundreds of years now.

I believe the implication is that machines like the Forest Kingdom and Pascal's village are relatively recent arrivals, and the spread of actual sentience (an attempt by the Terminals to increase their species' development) has been agonizingly slow. It's why Adam and Eve are birthed now rather than at any other time: because the individual machines have gained enough individual intelligence that they attempt to break the deadlock via the creation of a "superior" model.

Alain Post posted:

is there a reason Jean-Paul's name is censored

The Sartre estate is extremely litigious, a fact which no one at Square-Enix knew (because, seriously, who would guess?) until after all of the dialogue had been recorded. Rather than re-recording it, they just bleeped his name out of the dialogue.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RanKizama posted:

Jean-Paul was censored out? Where? I don't remember seeing or hearing it in-game.

The in-game text was changed to to just "Jean-Paul," but there's a piece of dialogue during his questline where, after visiting the NPC in the desert, 9S says his full name outloud, where it's bleeped.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tarezax posted:

Note that the Japanese audio still calls him Sartre and isn't bleeped at all.

I imagine it's a Jojo's-style situation where Araki can get away with naming his Stands after rock/metal albums and singers, but they have to get creative trying to translate them over due to differing copyright laws.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nina posted:

The more I think about it the more the flip-flopping characterization during some sidequests makes sense for 9S but less so for 2B. 9S is at the same time an idealistic newbie who buys super hard into the whole "Glory for mankind" rhetoric and is the type who plays entirely by the book at the beginning but is also still not yet jaded enough by the conflict that even though he keeps repeating the stuff Command has hammered into his head about the machines he's still intrigued by them. Hence he kinda goes back and forth on being a good soldier boy and actually feeling some sympathy for the enemies he's been taught to dehumanize until he snaps from his first real trauma that is

It makes me like his character a bit more.

2B's flip-flops make sense in the context of her likely knowing the secret behind YoRHa already. As an Execution-type model whose specific purpose is to kill 9S whenever he gets too close to the truth, she'd have to know what the truth is to do her duty properly, not to mention her having killed 9S several times already. She's torn between the knowledge that machines aren't really just soulless monsters - that they can think and feel - and the knowledge that, if she lets on to this too much, 9S' natural curiosity will lead him to start questioning things too closely, and then she'll have to execute him all over again.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alain Post posted:

big ending spoilers, so has YoRHa constantly been getting destroyed and reformed, or did I not understand that bit

That's the implication, yes. Remember, it's been something like 5000 years since the machines first invaded, so countless YoRHa units (or organizations like it) have likely been formed, sent to battle, then destroyed once the relevant data has been acquired.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nina posted:

Why did I never consider that. It makes total sense why she'd clench her fist in anger after having to repeat the whole "Glory to mankind" spiel if she knows it's total bullshit.

It's a lot more obvious on a replay of route A that she's lying through clenched teeth at several points. She claims to not know what a type E android is... despite one having been in her squad at the start of the game (7E), who was assigned to 11B (the android who was attempting to desert).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alain Post posted:

I really do love 2B's voice acting as the game goes along. Her "SHUT UP" when 042 suggests leaving behind 9S at the end of run A was such a great line delivery

I'd never actually heard of Kira Buckland before this game, but she does a fantastic job with the script. In general, the English dub is superbly done.

Alain Post posted:

by the way, regarding A2's intro

is there a reason she murks the Forest King besides wanting to kill machines

She just hates machines in general and wants to kill them. She's given up on the "love" side of the human equation, which is also why her sexy outfit has almost completely disintegrated.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

I hear it's possible to miss one of the endings, but I'm afraid to look up details for fear of spoilers. At what point should I start worrying about missing it?

There are a total of [5] "real" endings, with a number of "you hosed up" gag endings (like removing your OS Chip) along with that number. All of the endings are fairly self-explanatory - just continue the game from the save you made at the end of the previous ending - except for the last two, which require you to play through both of the options during the game's last major choice, which you can do through the Chapter select. Needless to say, none of the "real" endings can be permanently missed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rangpur posted:

Any hints on how to get that chest sitting on top of the arch near the castle? I know you can stand on the top of a nearby pillar but I can't quite jump jump quite high enough to make it any further.

Go to the gate to Pascal's village and face towards the arch. There's a collapsed pillar that you can hop onto to let you get on top of standing pillar, which you can then use to leap onto the first arch. Just hop onto the top of each pillar after that and use that to travel to the final arch. You need to use a double jump, a dash, and slowfall to get on top of each archway.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

Route C spoilers: Two times actually almost got me to tear up with 9S- the first was when the virus was taunting him and threatened to delete his memories of 2B and he pleads "DONT DO THIS", the second was in The Tower when you regain control over him after blowing up all the 2B clones, him touching her face and making her touch his face before he rips her arm off. BRUTAL stuff in this game, really took me by surprise how much I reacted to it

Both of those were pretty shocking for me, but the only thing I ended up tearing up at was A2's death in route C.

"I never realized how beautiful this world truly is." After everything that's happened, it's one hell of a line, and Cherami Leigh absolutely nails the delivery.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alain Post posted:

by the way, (probably not a spoiler) is there a significance to the really annoying reeeeeealy high pitched (as in, if i was 10 years older i probably wouldn't be able to hear it) beeping you can hear sometimes in the world

This indicates that there is a hidden, valuable item nearby. Look carefully!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dias posted:

I mean, it doesn't add poo poo to the game either.

It is incredibly important to the overall themes of the game, and the game would've been worse without the character designs it does have.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hexenritter posted:

Well it's been a while since I was the one who inadvertently opened a can of worms on here.

It's an understandably contentious topic. I feel like I ought to just write up a big ol' post discussing the game's themes/ideas surrounding sex, love, and violence, because it is easy to assume the outfits are just cheesecake pandering on a casual glance. It's only once you start getting near the end of route B that you get a broad enough picture to understand how the character design fits into the larger narrative.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Agreed especially when the creator has said why he did it, it's just pointless justification.

Bad news: the creator is dead. All that remains of Yoko Taro is the work in front of us.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dias posted:

This is all I'll say about the subject, because the reason WHY I don't wanna engage is exactly this "but you missed ~the themes~" conversation and nah, I really didn't.

What are the core themes and ideas of Nier: Automata, in your view?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Augus posted:

I thought it was a bit on-the-nose that the androids were being objectified

More broadly (route C spoilers), they're a result of the androids in charge of YoRHa not really understanding human beings. They're attempting to make the androids more human in spirit, and they understand humanity's two greatest obsessions to have been sex and violence, which is why the YoRHa androids are all designed to facilitate murder and look sexy. They're wearing "fetish outfits" in the anthropological sense of the term: by dressing the YoRHa units in short dresses and and equipping them with a katana, they think they'll somehow become more human. They're really no better than the dumb robots in the desert wearing stupid, meaningless masks because ancient humans used to wear them and bumping their robot bodies together in an imitation of loving. Neither of them understand what lies beneath the sex and the violence - the ultimate reason why human beings had sex and engaged in violence.

The outfits also serve as a clever bit of extradiegetic writing, because the more you come to care for 2B, 9S, and A2 as human beings, and not simply as dolls, the less you notice the irrelevant surface attributes. The cutscene camera knows this, too: later shots are almost overwhelmingly focused on faces and hands instead of full body shots.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 23, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

He doesn't even have nipples.

You can tell we're the effort went

The ingame model does have nipples, though?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Opposing Farce posted:

So I finished Ending B and moved onto the third playthrough and I wanted to know, what exactly are the mechanical differences between A2 and 2B? I know A2 has berserker mode, the taunt instead of the light charge attacks, and a different dash (though I'm not quite sure what it means when she turns red at the end of it), but I don't know if there's anything more subtle I'm missing.

That's about it. I think she has slightly more iframes on her dodge, but that might just be placebo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alder posted:

They don't have nipples which is funny. Reminds me of FFXIV.

Both of them have obvious nipples. Are you on a small screen or something?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dias posted:

They have areolas. :colbert:

Touche!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do like how Adam and Eve have Ps2 textures for their bodies.

At least give then some nicely detailed abs or nipples or something.

The texture work is actually pretty dang good, but the lighting in the main areas you encounter them in is fairly soft and doesn't show off the texture work as well as it could. Here's a less bright version from SE's Twitter where you can see Eve's pelvis more distinctly:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dias posted:

They're all philosophers. Simone de Beavouir, Engels, Hegels, and the last set of bosses are Chinese dudes including Confucius.

Most of the uses appear to be fairly wry: Marx and Engels are both made out of industrial machinery, with Engels being defeated when his own parts are turned against him; Beauvoir is obsessed only with beauty and a man's love; Hegel is defeated by the merger of two polar opposites; and Kierkegaard is the pope of an organized religion.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hommando posted:

For anyone that has gotten ending E, did anyone else feel that the final checkpoint during the bullet hell sequence was deliberately insanely difficult to make a point?

Absolutely. I think the final checkpoint is close to being impossible for someone that isn't doing a TAS. It's meant to echo how the Pods, through their love for the protagonists, break the bonds of their programming, just as you, the player, break the bonds of the game's mechanics through the love of others.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

Why? (I am not)

You should go online. That's all I really ought to say.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

I mean, I didn't know that it wasn't until now. I guess network is off by default?

Mine was online by default. Are you on PC or PS4?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

I did, and awwwww :3:

:unsmith:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

side effect of doing E right after, I guess. Oh, it was they both die, but 2B destroys the tower and recognizes the beauty of the natural world. Yeah, I have trouble seeing that as sad.

It's not the beauty of the natural world - it's the beauty of the world as-is, with all of the joy and pain that entails. It's sad because A2 - who has spent practically her entire life as an embittered shell of a woman, hating and killing everything she can, only realizes this now, at the moment of her death, before she has a chance to really appreciate it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

to be fair automata kind of exploded. like i knew the game would sell better at launch but i didn't expect top of the steam charts style launch. neither did taro or square either, to be fair

I'm hoping this will fully convince SE to do more simultaneous PC launches with their new console titles. It's been great having all of the Final Fantasy titles I never got around to playing due to being a console-less pleb on Steam.

verbal enema posted:

Did he voice Pascal too or he he just having fun.

Dammit I gotta,see this just not on mobile datas

Pascal was voiced by Alexis Tipton, who mostly does Funimation dubs.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 24, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: Also how do I backtrack Once I'm done with the factory as 2B? There was rubble blocking the way to the locked door, so I couldn't get it then but now I can't go back because the pod won't let me enter the factory and the only other option is to fight Eve

You will eventually unlock a Chapter Select option that lets you backtrack and complete whatever you want.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Romes128 posted:

I think I got really lucky in the (late game boss) Adam fight. I resurrected what ended up being a level 40 android to help and the boss got absolutely destroyed (after failing my first solo attempt).

As an aside, the track that plays in that area, and the track during the boss fight, are two of my favorites. This game's soundtrack is seriously off the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think that the superiority of the hacking minigame in combat is an intentional attempt to get you to overuse it and become numb to its aesthetic, because the game pulls some real suckerpunches using the hacking minigame's layout later on, and they come as genuine shocks.