Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The fact that this series keeps continuing feels like we ended up getting the Bad Ending in this world and now Yoko Taro continues to torment us.

I am ready for this game though. Not even he's sure why Square keeps giving him money, but I'm glad they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Anatharon posted:

In my eyes, it kinda blows it's load early on it terms of what it has to show you and then you're just left with an unpleasent mess, with hours of more of basically the same. If you can manage to keep at it, it's probably just for "what over the top bad thing is going to happen next?" as opposed to any actual sense of investment in what happens. Compared to say, Postal, which is another game that sort of has you going "wow this is pretty messed up" but it at least has a ramping challenge and passable gameplay.

There's stuff like the rhythem game and babies falling from the sky but at best I'd call that too little too late.

Really what's GOOD about the writing?

It got some response out of me that wasn't just complete boredom, which is a lot more than most RPGS can say. The game shouldn't have gotten as many sequels as it did, but I can still appreciate them.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The game looks pretty drat good, maybe it'll be the first Yoko Taro game that's actually fun to play? I find it neat that you can see some of Zero's and even Raiden's animations in the fighting, it's a nice little nod to the past games.

One thing that worries me though, the enemies seem really passive and weak. This was also the case in previous showings of the game. I really hope they aren't all like that in the full game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

A lot of people immediately disliked the first trailer just for aesthetic reasons. The guy looked sort of like the new, "gently caress anime" Dante of DmC Western Edition, and his headphones were obviously knockoffs of Beats By Dre. So immediately a certain set of gamers saw connections to two concepts they wanted nothing to do with. And many of them are the same kind of gamers whose interest spikes at the mention of Hideki Kamiya.

Conversely, those aesthetics was kind of why I leaned into it (well that and my casual, don't-watch-the-spinoffs love for How To Train Your Dragon.) But I also gotta admit that the mass-multiplayer, "a dozen dragons try to take down this ultra-boss together" scenario they demonstrated at their last show was quite poor.

I'd say it being Xbone exclusive probably hurt a ton too, and the game ran really badly when it was first shown. I have yet to see a reason to get an Xbone and that certainly didn't sway me one bit.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

If they had March 10th up as a date, that at least tells us the PC port's probably near completion. It won't be a case like Revengeance where we got the PC port like a year later, at least.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Well, I preordered the game on steam. I'm ready for Yoko Taro's Crazy Ride yet again. I really need to stop looking at the CIA document that is this thread.

lets hang out posted:

This review on metacritic lol

Barkley 2 thread is over there.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So does the game have a parry move like Raiden did? I loved that mechanic in Revengeance.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So I'm on the second playthrough as 9S and I have like 15 machine cores. Am I going to need them for anything, or can I just sell them?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So I've gotten three of the endings and have never found a way to upgrade my weapons to level 4. I also have never seen Emil after the initial time super early on. Have I missed something big, or did they really hide both those things for when I already have 92% of the sidequests done?

Also, I have been trying to find the Old World Information for that one quest, but I haven't really been able to find any helpful guides, partially because I don't want to get spoiled. Is there any way of knowing where I am supposed to find them all for that quest?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Haven't finished ending E (I am not good at bullet hells) but I spared Pascal because I figured there was always the possibility of more children he could help. Just like the ending of the first Nier should have been the end of society, there not being more robots produced right now could always change, and Pascal could have a new life to live. Killing him right then and there guarantees that doesn't happen.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I was kind of annoyed that there were sidequests that didn't show up on the map, so I ended up talking to most NPCs after every single plot point by the time I got started on the B route. It was annoying that not a whole lot changed during that time, and I kinda wish they had abridge the stuff that wasn't any different.

Still haven't been able to sit down and get ending E, but in general I feel like the game's highs aren't as high as the first Nier's, but its lows aren't nearly as low. The big plot twist with the Shadowlord with Devola, Popola and Noir is just straight up Bad Writing and ruins a large chunk of that game's plot, while Automata doesn't really have a twist like that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, that too. The shades being the real people is fine as a twist, but they got pretty on the nose with it a lot. At one point someone says "You guys are the real monsters!" like, I get it game. There's also some nonsense scenes with that too, like the apparent giant pile of babies right outside the ballroom lategame.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I must be one of the few that wasn't particularly affected by the title screen. It really wasn't the beginning of anything, it was just the final act. Apparently people were totally blown away by it, but I'm just not seeing it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Nina posted:

Yeah The only one actually sabotaging the plan was the original Nier because he'd just stopped caring and went and pissed off replicant Nier which ended up causing the downfall or everything. D&P were desperately trying to salvage things afterwards but it just didn't work out.

I feel like this was Yoko Taro's way of spackling over a bad plot point from the first game. Devola and Popola ended up doing the exact opposite of what their goal was for no real reason (or so the game could have a gotcha plot twist) and now he's just decided they were actively trying to sabotage the plan because ??

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm unsure of what they mean by going against their mission, then. The way I thought was that they explicitly told Nier he had to defeat Noir, complete with fake legend, even though that's in no way helping them. Then when he finally goes to attack the Shadowlord (great name by the eddy guys, totally makes him seem like the good guy) they stand against him, because they want Weiss to fuse with Noir, and call him a traitor. It just makes absolutely no sense when you try and map out their intentions, and feels like really muddled writing, so as a band aid they decided the two were somehow rebels.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Ending E question: So I got to the shooter section of ending E and couldn't beat it, and had to put the game down for like two months. As far as I know though, you get the option to delete your save, but there are sidequests that I haven't figured out how to get. Can you actually do everything before doing ending E?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

...! posted:

You do know that if you fail that section five times, it asks if you want to put it into an easy mode that makes it basically impossible to lose, right?

I found this out today. Back when I tried it the first time my internet was bad, so I wasn't connected to the network, and it didn't give me that option.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Overall I felt the game had a less emotional story, but told it better than the first Nier. There's also no stupid plot twist that relies on the bad guys acting completely out of their interests, and I thought it was a lot easier to feel bad for the machines than the shades.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

How were their goals different from his? Helping him was literally their reason for existing, and they totally hosed it up.

Also, naming the savoir of humanity the Shadowlord and Noire's personality was just nonsense from their perspective. People that actually think they're the good guys would not do these things, and it really annoyed the hell out of me that the game tried to pull that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Squidtentacle posted:

Because D&P are also conflicted by the fact that they're actually liking and sympathizing with the Replicants. Think 9S's constant screaming of "they don't think, they're just machines," and that's what D&P were trying (and failing) really hard to do. Yes, they could have killed Nier Replicant so that Nier Gestalt could take his body back, but the problem is that they were seeing how hard Nier Replicant was struggling for Yonah Replicant. These are people that they've been watching for over a thousand years.

So yes, their intended goals are the same, but D&P have the added wrinkle of really not wanting to directly betray Nier Replicant. That's why everything fucks up.

So they go through the effort of making a fake legend to have Nier destroy Noire, and then call Weiss a traitor for going against their plan and then fight to the death protecting the Shadowlord? The stuff you say would make sense, but their actions throughout the game just straight up contradictory.

quote:

[spoiler]I also felt that you weren't supposed to feel "the Shades were the good guys all along." Every single person is a selfish, short-sighted individual, and that's the point. The Replicants are murdering what's left of humanity, but at the same time, the old humanity is absolutely refusing to consider the "new" humanity, Replicants, to even be people. Route B only serves to show that the shades have their own flawed motivations; it's not just to say "you're a horrible person," but to say "everyone here is kind of horrible in their own way, the world is hosed up." Keeping in mind Yoko Taro's inspiration from 9/11 is helpful for looking at Nier.

Not so much that they were the good guys, but that they themselves thought they were in the right. No one who thinks they're in the right is gonna call themselves the Shadowlord or talk like a supervillain to get people on their side. It felt like the game was just straight up lying in order to pull a gotcha moment. Much like Devola an Popola, Noire makes absolutely no sense as a character. Gestalt Nier not caring about anything other than Yonah makes enough sense though, I don't really have a problem with him.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The reason Weiss betrays them is because they explicitly told Nier that it was Weiss' destiny to fight Noire, not fuse with him. And surprise surprise, he ends up shaking off Noire and fighting against him. That's the part that makes no sense. Did they want him to fuse with Noire and complete the project, or didn't they? Also the part where Noire is clearly evil. That was dumb too.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Pretty sure Noir also told Weiss that it was their role to fuse and join the Shaowlord. It was about the least convincing thing in the world.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

There are a couple sidequests like that one, and another in the canyon, that really shouldn't be available as early as they are. They're really a second playthrough kinda thing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

When I got to E I wasn't done with everything else, so I said no. Also, I find it strange they ask you to delete everything after the pod risked its own life to ensure everything wouldn't be deleted.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Going to have to agree with that. It wasn't the point of the ending, so it's not like it ruined it, but having it there really did just feel like it was done out of obligation. If they wanted us to delete the save, they could've changed it so that deleting all the information about everything that happened is what allows them to continue living. The burdens of the past with Yorha and the machines don't affect 2B and 9S anymore, so they can forge a new world on their own. Instead it just feels like they're continuing the mission they just got out of.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Considering Drakengard 3 came only a few years ago and had all kinds of cussing, and also had a bizarre censorship as a joke, I think Automata's censoring was supposed to have more meaning than just plain old censorship.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The enemies in general just feel very weak, and easily fall to a combo no matter how you go about it. It made using all the tools you had ultimately feel pointless since they're probably just going to die in two seconds anyway.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I can't really see not using the dodge in this game to make it harder though. If you don't use the dodge, how are you getting away from enemy attacks, running? That sounds like it would be really awkward and unfun, and clearly not what was intended. Unfortunately the dodge in this game is just too good, and not using it leaves you with no real options.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Yes, your only choices are "use it all the time" and "never use it", and not any combination of those two things. :geno:

Yeah, I'll impose a "only dodge five times a battle" clause when I'm playing, and refuse to press it more during a fight. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The game was fun enough, it just can't be held up to the same standard as games like Revengeance and Bayonetta. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, since not every game can be them, but Platinum being the developer for Automata was part of its advertising. In the end we got a game that didn't really feel like it has Platinum's traits, other than being terrible at explaining itself.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

iospace posted:

I for one look forward to seeing the thread's reaction to the village.

The way the children all suicide in a big pile is probably the darkest thing seen in this entire series. Yoko Taro was saving up all his dead children chips to cash them all in at once.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I find it hard to get behind the idea of Zero being monotone when like, all the cutscenes show her as abrasive and angry just in terms of body language and actions alone.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

9S is way closer to Brother Nier, in that he spends the first half of the game optimistic and the second full of murderous rage.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think Yoko Taro used up all his sexual points with Drakengard 3, so I'm glad that wasn't really a thing in this game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

One of the guys' main traits is literally "has a gigantic dick", it even comes into play in one later scene.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The machines having minds of their own is not meant to be a twist. Anyone that played the first Nier would have instantly questioned them being mindless so Yoko Taro didn't even bother trying to hide that, not even in the pre-release stuff.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Hikaki posted:

The sexy characters didn't bother me that much because the only thing I knew about the game going in was that it was made by Platinum. Remember Raiden and Bayonetta? Of course the main character is gonna have a great butt.

Yeah, pretty much nothing about 2B bothered me when we just got a game from them about a naked cyborg in high heels cutting other cyborgs in half. The same character that had Vamp as a rival in the game prior.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

2B is The Boss of MGS3: Snake Eater, basically.

Yeah this is pretty much the vibe I got from her. The plot is weird in that there isn't really a specific main character, but she's the one that felt like the catalyst for 9S and A2's development.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

For me at least, part of it is probably that I've been desensitized to that sort of thing, and saying "well other that x, the game is good". The other is that the game doesn't really focus on 2B's design much at all, she's just a woman in a black dress with cool moves. Stuff like the achievement feel like an afterthought than a focus of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah. I like the game, but I don't think route C is suddenly going to change your mind if A didn't grab you. C is impactful specifically because of how you feel about the characters and how their lives being destroyed all around them causes them to go insane. If you can't connect with the story enough to already care about what happens in A route, then the stuff in C is meaningless.

No game is for everyone, and I don't think it's fair to say the third act is where it will "get good", because the whole package is supposed to be good.