Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

nier: automata, the sequel to the novel-only, unofficially translated ending to the sequel to the most batshit ending of a batshit ps2 musou clone

We're gonna need a timeline chart of the actually canon material so we can figure out just how many degrees off from being Drakengard 7 this game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Maxy Boy posted:

And the game did so much weird poo poo, like the text adventure part. If Automata lives up to that legacy.....

Obviously the next step is having a visual novel segment.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

No one ever expects Taro Yoko games to get sequels, but somehow, it just keeps happening.

How much dirt does he have on the SE higher-ups, do you think?

I'm pretty sure even Taro Yoko has no idea how or why he keeps getting to make games.

Here's hoping he wakes up one morning and discovers he's in charge of Final Fantasy XVI.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

double lol

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This would be enough for me to go into a media blackout on the game except that we still don't have a PC release date.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Augus posted:

If you own FFXV, apparently the newest patch added Nier music to the ingame radio

Appropriate, as I've listened to Nier's music the most while driving in my car.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Well, it's been fun, friendos, but now''s about the point where I bow out. See you on Robuttpocalypse Day.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > NieR: Automata - The Robuttpocalypse Is Coming

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm basically addicted to this track at the moment. I did get NieR on Ps3 last summer but haven't played it, so I guess my question is is its music even half as good as this one track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2lwFiIaMAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0IWB6qEn9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUn-kezLzeY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LKIsWOSHAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgMRNiEPPYg

Yeah it's alright.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DeathSandwich posted:

I could hear 17, couldn't hear 18 or 19, but I could hear 20. What the gently caress?

Could be your headphones can't handle the higher frequencies so they're crackling.

I could hear up to 20 myself, maybe 21 but at that point it was hard to tell if I was actually hearing the sound or the track turning on then off. 22 is out.

Mr E posted:

Turns out I can hear a higher frequency in my right ear than my left.

Same. My right ear can hear higher frequencies than my left, but my left ear can hear lower frequencies than my right, so it's a weird dynamic where I can hear bass better on my left and high pitches better on my right.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Any specifics on what the PS4 performance will be like? I didn't play the demo.

After playing Nioh I have realized I am pretty much OK with the resolution going to zero and LOD six feet away from me turning into a slideshow as long as it's 60fps

Digital Foundry did a tech breakdown for the demo, they don't cover everything but that's cause it's only a demo, and they give you framerates and pixal counts and all that fancy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvs7I2QUFh8

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This got put up on the S-E store and taken down.

So it's looking like PC Release is March 17 at the moment.

loving finally.

So long thread I need to stop visiting and wait in a void until this game comes out so I don't get spoiled to poo poo.

Ironically I just bought a PS4 so Bloodborne is keeping me occupied to make the wait less painful.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, beat ending B at around 1am, so like 2 and a half hours ago. Started route C.

Holy poo poo.

I need to sleep right now but I hope to god I have enough hours in the weekend to beat this thing before getting back to work, cause I may end up skipping work to finish this and that's generally not a good idea.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thank god I found out about the FAR patch before I finished the game. I only have a 960 which chugged like crazy, even after dropping all the settings to low and turning the resolution down I was still getting barely above 50fps. Then I installed FAR and turned Global Illumination down and now I'm playing at a solid 60fps at full 1080p, which is so much better than the chop job I'd been dealing with before now.

OP should be updated to include this patch, it's by the same guy who did the patch that's in the OP just beefed up a bunch. Let more people play the game as it was meant, without bullshit fullscreen performance bugs.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Finished the game.

Man.

That's a good game, but it's emotionally draining as hell.

Don't think I'll be getting 100% anything, I've only got two sidequests left but I genuinely don't feel I need to complete them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Zerilan posted:

Good to hear that. Early enough in right now that I can see things starting to go in interesting directions but not far in enough to know how well it executes the stuff it's setting up.

It depends on how invested you get, I guess. Sometimes it hits and sometimes it misses, just like any game, it all depends on how much you actually care to begin with.

Do try to do any as many sidequests as possible after every major story development, though. I had at least a couple of situations where I progressed the main quest without meaning to and auto-failed a handful of sidequests that, when going back to do them, I realized I really should have done them when they were first available, even if they were kind of a pain at the time. Just check your map for red dots/talk to people a bunch, I only missed two myself doing that, it's the story progression that got me not the actual finding them part.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 4, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Jumping into chipset talk from earlier, Taunt is the best chip. I only had a +4 but it was just so drat good I didn't feel the need to get a more powerful version. Combined with weapon attack up and charge attack up and my combos were basically melting bots. Think the toughest bot I found lasted maybe three hits.

Why bother with healing or defense when you can just kill everything? :black101:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Heath posted:

Since people were asking about Emil's inventory:

Emil has 3 distinct routes. One runs by the desert entrance (his "default" route), one that runs under the bridge that leads to the factory, and one that runs by the base camp. He has a few different inventories that correspond roughly to those routes.

Desert route: he sells chips.
Bridge route: he sells low level materials.
Camp route: (late game only?) high level materials and a few weapons.

When he spawns in with the map, his inventory is set. He tends to spawn by the desert first (hence "default" route) which sets his inventory to the chips. If this happens, go to him there and buy and sell at least one item. I don't know if you have to do both but I did just to be sure. Then reload the map. He tends to vanish entirely if you do this, so if he isn't there, reload the map again. If he spawns on the other route, just repeat this process til he shows up where you want him. Be warned that on his camp route, he drives fast as poo poo and is hard to stop, so memorize where he goes and try to get in front of him because he will outrun your bullets.

It's best to try and get his high level stuff in one of the later chapters, because I don't think he sells it on the A or B routes, but I haven't confirmed that. He sends you an email at one point asking you to drop by the shop, so I think that triggers it. Also make sure you have a lot of money and/or stuff to sell on hand because it can take a while to get him to show up in the right place.

Second time I ever saw Emil was in front of the resistance camp, route A. Didn't shoot him though cause I had just bought stuff from seeing him in front of the desert and didn't know he sold different things at different places. But yeah he can show up in front of the camp from the word go, either that or I did a trigger to get him there without knowing it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RoadCrewWorker posted:

After what people have been vaguely mentioning here and there i don't think i'm strong enough

You'll be fine. Go track down a copy and play it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

so when did Yoko Taro actually become like, "a thing", did Drakengard actually get a cult fanbase based on the insane protaginist, or was it after everyone seemed to like the writing in Nier (since Drakengard 2 only peripherally involved Yoko)

I'm pretty sure the incredibly dull SE E3 2015 presentation being interrupted by the weird guy wearing an Emil mask is what initially caught people's attention. Since Cavia isn't a thing anymore, Taro was the big linking factor between the new game and the old, which wasn't much but it was enough to make people remember him.

That combined with Nier's cult following freaking out over a sequel and Platinum Game's reputation for the very recent Metal Gear Rising got a lot of people hyped. I remember most gaming site's streams of that E3 had at least one guy who played Nier and was pumped to see a sequel announced, and completely separately other guys who had played Platinum's Games stuff were hyped over their involvement. So the hype culture surrounding games actually worked to Nier's benefit.

Taro recently tweeted that he gained like 30000 followers in the last three months, so his popularity is very recent and pretty directly tied to Nier Automata, since that was around the time the demo dropped and the butt controversy happened. Also a bunch of interviews have happened where he had some entertaining anecdotes and he was streaming the game pretty regularly before that so anyone with even a little bit of curiosity would have heard about him before the game was out. From there word of mouth happens and he's now on his way to being the next Kojima/Suda 51.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

eonwe posted:

i just bought this

Good move

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So.

Finally got Automata OST in my car, jamming to the tunes, when Emil's Song comes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwBh_7zV4Wo

Wait... hearing it not in english, it sounds... very familiar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x0-EYfwP-c

That's loving hilarious, I love this game :allears:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cephas posted:

personally I think the japanese version of the song is really cute and adorable while the english one is manic in kind of a scary way

I'm not sure which one suits Emil better

edit: maybe that's just because it's playing from the equivalent of a megaphone in-game so it always sounds unintelligible. the soundtrack ver. is pretty cute too :3:

I prefer the english version myself because it fits Emil like a glove, though I dunno why but the english version doesn't have the same... uh... pitch/timing thing going on that the japanese version does which makes it sound like Emil's theme from Nier 1.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Seafood posted:

I listened to that earlier this morning but hadn't noticed the preview image was a tomato.

Actually the preview image is of Emil... as a tomato.

I'm actually kinda surprised he doesn't really touch on the ideas of sacrifice the game toys around with, since that fits in perfectly with the narrative or people working themselves to death for little compensation and is also part of the reason the ending where you delete your save file so somebody else can beat the game resonates so much better than the first game's where you delete your save file to get the best ending for your game.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You can strafe and lock on.

gently caress

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tarezax posted:

It didn't happen to me, because I realized what was happening and immediately mapped out a route that didn't require me to jump and avoided enemies as much as possible the whole way.

Same. Though I was tempted to cut some corners due to the constant countdown timer that doesn't mean anything anyway

rio posted:

I don't remember reading it here but I just saw that as long as there is money for it that the game's creator would do a Nier remake. Do you think that the game has sold well enough that it is likely that will happen?

SquareEnix did rerelease the game for PS3 in EU when N:A did it's first month of kickass sales, but there's been no word on if it's gonna happen for a current console/PC.

Personally I hope they do a PC release. SquareEnix has put out a decent number of ports of old games onto Steam, so they must be making some money doing that kinda work, so it's a possibility at the very least.

theblackw0lf posted:

Surprised the concert reading by the actors who played 2B and 9S wasn't posted yet. It's pretty fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ08khNM1Fg

There's 4 more acts after that.

Major spoilers though, even in the very beginning. Don't listen until after you finished the game.

Well, poo poo. This is awesome. You can tell after playing the game they have slightly different readings for the characters now.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
you know it's a really good year for games when Persona 5 comes out and is completely amazing and still manages to only be, like, in the top five of the year.

and we haven't even gotten Mario Odyssey yet

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Digital Osmosis posted:

Are these games supposed to be stupid-hard and I just need to replay the tutorial a hundred times until I git gud? (I'm not gonna, I gave up after my tenth or so try on the first boss five minutes into Dark Souls 3; no insult to people who do but personally idgaf about gaming skillz.) Is easy-mode supposed to an active insult to the player, like it was in XCOM 2? Is the balance fine but the checkpointing just dumb as gently caress? I know I just started playing but I'm having an extremely hard time figuring out a) this game and b) if it is still technically a game on easy mode.

You can switch the difficulty back to normal after getting out of the tutorial and being able to save, which you should do as easy mode is basically auto-play mode. Also there aren't any checkpoints, either save often or die and lose an hour or two of progress.

Even on normal the game is rather easy, it's just the early parts where you don't know what you're doing that are difficult, get some practice and upgrades then you'll be fine.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, go with other Platinum games. Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising: Revengence are all on sale on Steam right now, give at least one a spin.

Or go find a PS3/360 copy of Nier 1.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

At the King's Castle now. I mean, I'm enjoying the game so far, but not as much as I should be. Maybe Persona 5 really did wear me out...

Take a break. Enjoying poo poo is not a competition. There are no points for enjoying something more than somebody else, and if you're trying to make a metric like that up then you're gonna fall short of it every time.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

some guy on the bus posted:

I believe it's typical to gradually fall in love with it. Nothing you're saying is surprising to me. It's a game that keeps getting better until you're done with it and it keeps getting better in your mind the more you think about it. When I beat the first play through, I went "Well that was good, but it has nothing on the first Nier." Now I think it did surpass it.

If you're enjoying it now, I can almost guarantee you'll love it by the end. It slowly builds.

yeah, this is definitely one of those games that gets stuck in your head, for me it's been every couple of weeks I'll get reminded of something from the game and start thinking about it again

It leaves a mark on you, which is something only very, very special games are really capable of

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Know Such Peace posted:

The Dark ID's LP thread just got to Route C if anyone wants to start following along now.

A lot of the responses from people reading the LP blind are pretty great.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tarezax posted:

I posted the speculative conclusion that I came to after that sequence back when I first played the game, I hope I didn't misstep in doing that.

In this thread, nothing wrong with that.

In the LP thread where Id specifically says not to spoil poo poo, and posting "speculation" with lots of wink wink nudge nudge because the poster obviously knows what's going to happen, yeah no gently caress off. It's not cute and nobody wants it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
When I tried learning Japanese, I started really enjoying English dubs more, because once you reach a certain point in learning the language, the Japanese dubs sound just as fake and overacted as the English ones. There's differences in the performance between versions, sure, but Japanese isn't automatically better just because.

Once you start to understand what natural speech sounds like, anime voices just all sound the same, regardless of language.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Sandman posted:

It might also be a difference in how the industries handle the VAs. As I understand it, the US industry generally has VAs dub their parts alone, with a day or two tops to look at the script, and rarely given any context for the scene or even a chance to watch the scene before they dub it. And unless it goes completely wrong, there's only one take.

While I could be wrong, I was under the impression that the Japanese industry treated its VAs a bit more like actual actors, with a concomitant rise in quality.

As far as I'm aware, Japan uses group recordings more often, so the actors can actually act together rather than just reading takes and going off what the director says, but otherwise there are a lot of similar practices.

Scripts are handed out when they arrive at the studio, for instance, so most actors go in blind and don't realize what they're going to be saying until they turn the page and read it. For example, James Earl Jones had no idea prior to recording that Darth Vader's line was "I am your father", he only read it when he was in the booth and had to do a double take. Really though, that's one of the benefits of voice acting, you don't need to memorize lines since you can just hold the page and read it. This is true both here and overseas.

That's also part of the reason they don't have context for what they're reading, since they're given just the pages and lines they're expected to read that day. It's not unusual for there to simply not be anything ready for the scene they're recording. Disney movies, for example, almost always record VA before animating. Oh, and US productions always, always do more than one take, and it's not unusual to have to redo a line later as well. They have four hour recording sessions for a reason.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. I've read that five lines in a day is how you tell someone is really prolific. Depending on director, you might get a general read on your character and the scene, but not specific context. At least, for most recordings. Some places do multiple people in a room, or have full scripts, or other unusual methods, but, you know. Not the norm.

Yeah, it depends on the director really. Some can be really specific about what they want and some are kinda loose and leave it up to the actor to interpret. Sometimes they'll give you a full rundown on what's going on in the scene, though sometimes you'll get "be more _____, less _____"

Really voice acting is almost entirely in the hands of the voice director, since they'll be the ones who have the full context of what's going on and know exactly what they want and need. The VA's job is to show up and act.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ChrisBTY posted:

But wait, is this all to say that YoRHa was created by the machines as 'sparring partners' of sorts?

In the simplest terms, yes.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Raxivace posted:

It wouldn't be that surprising to see, Idk, 9S or A2 in an Emil-like role in NieR 3 though.

Yeah, given that they're all functionally immortal, it's not out of the realms of possibilities that the next game would feature one or more of this game's characters. All the immortal characters from Nier showed up after all, even the ones that died. And given the popularity of 2B I wouldn't be even faintly surprised if she cameo'd in a Ni3R.

The real question is, what role would they play in the next game?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

Well, as of the end of the game, with the Bunker destroyed the characters aren't immortal any more- note that after route A and B you no longer respawn at a save point when you die and do a corpse run, you have to just load your most recent save. Maybe if they die the pods could rebuild them again, but I'd imagine the pods would wear out eventually

Look Sir Droids posted:

9S and 2B aren't functionally immortal because they don't have YorHa to plug them in to a new body anymore.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

A2 also didn't have access to the bunker, nor did Anemone, and they both lived for centuries. Hell, the Twins have been alive for millennia, from before the first Nier, even though they aren't the same twins they've been working on the same job, at the same time, so they've been around for a while without any backups at all.

I think you guys are confusing immortal (the inability to die) with invincible (the inability to be killed), since 2B and 9S treat death as totally inconsequential, even using suicide bombs as a means of attack, but they're not the same. Just because they've lost the inability to be killed doesn't mean they're not still immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

Been meaning to get this for a while and it's on sale on Steam. The reviews seem to indicate that it's a bad bad port, but is it really that bad? Or is it classic PC quality control exaggeration?

(For reference I thought Arkham Knight played just fine on PC, but that might just have been my PC being kind to it).

Get the FAR mod and it works fine.