Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
From the LP thread:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm so glad they didn't go with old man pascal, the questions of "why would they build an old man robot" would go in circles forever
Can't wait till the thread hits the Forest Kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Zeerust posted:

Counterpoint: 9S doesn't know 2B at the start of the game, and didn't even know the E-series existed until that sidequest in the Ruined City. Or are you saying that he was lying about not recognising her?
He wasn't lying, he just didn't remember. 2B's whole puprose is to shepherd him around and kill him/reset his memory whenever he learns too much, as invariably he will. Once 2B's not around anymore, he realizes this and despairs.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

She was dispatched to monitor 11B who was planning on going AWOL.

I don't think all of them use code names, just some of them. Depends on the mission, probably. 2B's was a long-term assignment.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My money's on the ship crashing somewhere and causing new problems for someone else.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

iospace posted:

point, but I'd prefer ending E as canon. Though does the ship launch if you get that one too? I got E on the tail end of C,did D first.
Neither ending precludes Ending E from happening, so presumably it happens regardless, the sequel being set after D-E instead of C-E.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

IIRC, letters are tied to model-type and function, numbers denote the base personality - so 2B and A2 are both derived from the same "Person," which makes a lot of sense from a thematic standpoint (if true).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Here's a neat story that recently got translated, and it fits in neatly with the themes of the game in general.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17yNgiXN3BIAMzXP7AyIZPv-6grsEbYcTcXCGLwPCdNA/edit
"That's the 46th time."

:(

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nina posted:

Bunnyhop talkin' about the story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehM1m5-TG5g

I actually really enjoy hearing an angle focused more on topics that don't get brought up as often in mainstream discussion about the game.
I listened to that earlier this morning but hadn't noticed the preview image was a tomato.

Big O reference?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Nier Automata

Nier Automato

Nier a tomato

Near a tomato
:doh:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Larryb posted:

I think Drakengard 3 got a manga
Yeah, it did, and it's pretty bad. It attempts to link Drakengard 3 with Drakengard proper, but is mostly remembered for being edgy to the point of self-parody. As far as I'm aware it was created without Taro Yoko's involvement, so if it's him you're here for, look elsewhere.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, Drakengard and Nier got tons of side material, most of which is confined to Japan (though fan translations exist).

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel like this is a decent description of Drakengard 3 itself; did the manga make it even worse?
Drakengard 3 is dark and depressing but still possesses an emotional core and a sense of humor while telling a complete story. The manga is dark and depressing but functions as little more than connective tissue (without much internal merit) while lingering on some of the more uncomfortable elements from the original Drakengard without Taro Yoko's guiding purpose to back it up. It's effectively a historical anecdote in-universe, explaining how the Red Eyes spread across the Empire (and doesn't tell us much of anything we didn't already know or couldn't have intuited).

Also, one of the protagonists is an elf whose hobbies include rape and carrying around the still-living head of an immortal boy with a disease so he can spread that disease to as many people as possible for the lols, which always struck me as exactly the kind of chaotic evil character a disaffected teenager brings to his local D&D table.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Eagerly awaiting Yoko Taro's upcoming career as a creepypasta author.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

After what my fingers went through to get Ending D, they'd better be dead.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Can't wait for this to turn out to be a prank only for Taro Yoko to decide to announce his next project coincidentally at the same time just to screw with everyone.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

One of these days I'll pick up Nier rerelease but, I confess, I'm still partial to Father Nier and still kinda bummed he's not available, not even as DLC.

I know Brother Nier was the original and a lot of the plot threads make more sense with a younger protagonist and Father Nier was basically invented by the marketing department to appeal to Americans, but dang it, it worked, I love the big lug, and Jamieson Price did a great job voicing him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, Brother Nier hits pretty much every single story beat better, and in a vacuum where I never knew otherwise, I'd have no issues with Replicant. I'm sure I'll play it eventually and go "Wow, yeah, this really fits better," but something about Father Nier just works for me. I'm not the kinda guy who shies away from cute games or pretty boy protagonists either, but I miss my ugly papa.

When the returning English VAs did a video where they all signed a copy of Grimoire Weiss and Price was the only one missing, I felt let down.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"I alone experience existential dread," I said on the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's been years since I played Nier: Gestalt, but I don't recall Emil saying anything (in that version) I'd interpret as crushing on Father Nier. I later learned he had a crush on Brother Nier and said "Oh, okay" and figured it was something they expanded on in the side materials. I wouldn't be surprised if they just decided to make it more overt in the remake.

Emil is still very "Attached" to Father Nier (and Brother Nier, I'd imagine), but I always read that as him latching onto a makeshift parental figure after being accepted despite what happened to him. He's an affectionate person by nature, and despite what certain pockets of the Internet will tell you, it's entirely possible for two dudes to share an emotional connection without crushing on each other (I say, but also acknowledge Emil does, in fact, like Brother Nier romantically).