Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Aaaaaaaaaahhh, red-eyes BAD!!!

If I remember the Nier lore right, red-eyes almost wiped out the human race by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

This hard mode tutorial is pretty brutal, I've died twice to the big fucker you have to fight after the two buzzsaws. I've seen a stream of it so I know that there's something like 2 or 3 phases after that as well. Tempted to just switch down to normal until the first save point.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Despite recommendations, I finally finished hard mode prologue after 3 hours.

The trick is;

- Get enough exp for level 4.
- Literally only ever use your ranged weapons, except to chop up bullet-proof shields.
- Grab every healing ware scattered throughout the level.
- Heal to 100% every single time you are hit, even if it's just 50hp short of full, you have so many small heals that you're more likely to die with them.

The only part I had trouble with was the one-hit kill from the final boss guy. I finally just used the melee-defense for 15 seconds item in case I got hit, although I have no idea if it saves you from being 1-shotted as I managed to avoid being smashed before I found out. When you get the big arm then you've basically won afaik.

Fun game anyway.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Dias posted:

No wonder you kept playing SFV.

I'm a masochist.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I'm guessing there's no fix for nVidia white screens yet?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I just found out you can charge your pods special attacks. You can do 3 laser beams instead of one with your first equip. Gravity specials mean really big and long-lasting gravity bombs, etc. :sweatdrop:

And I'm getting no crashes on nvidia 365.10 for what it's worth. Been over 10 hours so far I think.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I don't think I've sat with my mouth open saying "what the gently caress" every few minutes like I did with this game beyond path B.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I did everything on hard, just buy 99 healing wares and invest in hp chips. I also did every sub-quest to the point that main quest fights became trivially easy (sadly).

Fish for money early on.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I wanted to complete the final bullet hell on my own, but it crashed after an hour of trying. Maybe the game knew I was going to keep at it until I won or passed out. I just accepted the help.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

The pod upgrades are not noticeable at all far as I could tell, and I only got enough to upgrade A and B once.

The weapons are easier and far more noticeable.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

So... Who actually created Yorha? The machine network seemed to imply that Yorha was a way to evolve how they can fight. I've read from other sources that earth androids. I'm honestly still not sure who originally made Yorha in rhe first place.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 21, 2017

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Snak posted:

The androids did.

Alright, so why did they put a backdoor in ther system that allowed the machine network to completely destroy everything? Didn't the machine network explicitly say at some point that they always need an enemy to fight? I took this to mean that Yorha is just a way to have an enemy that keeps fighting over and over, and constantly improves both sides. When Yorha gets to a tipping point, they just wipe the slate clean and use the data to create a more formidable enemy to improve themselves upon.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

What I was really confused by was why the androids would also want to be stuck in an endless war. But if they win the war, then the lie of humans surviving comes to light, seeing as no-one will be coming down from the moon.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Have you beat the game yet? Yorha is just a sham and there is no backdoor. Yorha were created because the androids were built to protect mankind and without mankind they all started feeling hopeless and depressed. Yorha were created to create a lie that mankind was still alive and well on the moon and then once that lie was set, they were programmed to all go insane and die so the secret would forever be protected.

I've taken Yorha to be a thing that is constantly being destroyed and rebuilt. Whether this means new bunkers were being made over and over, I'm not sure though.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

Can someone remind me, what exactly did D&P do in the ending of the original Nier that people would blame them for that whole situation going tits-up? I thought they were literally just two immortal android overseers to a program that had basically been running on autopilot, and slooooowly breaking down because of... basically just entropy. Not like there was anything they could've done.

Gestalt Nier (Shadowlord) figured out that there was nothing that could save his Daughter, so he stopped co-operating with the project (which meant that all other Gestalts stopped receiving Maso and were slowly going berserk). The only choice they had was some Plan Z type thing where they could force all Gestalts to take over their Replicant bodies, but the Replicants by that point had become self-aware and wouldn't take too kindly to that. Their failure was stopping Replicant Nier from getting his daughter back and killing Gestalt Nier (Shadowlord) to do that.

I think.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I've watched Twitch vods of people playing past section C in Japanese and I think the English dub is simply better. Or at least it's better for English speakers.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Aphex- posted:

Nope it was on all the time and I definitely died more than 10 times. The rest of the game was pretty good though so I had a fun time. Although something I didn't quite get was (more ending C/D/E stuff) did I miss some exposition on the whole machines infecting the androids thing and why they had the backdoor to the bunker to blow it up if they're just going to do it again? Why do the machines keep the androids around? I'm kind of confused about the whole conflict really because it seemed as though the machines were really the ones who made YorHa and who control the droids intentions in the first place?

Off-screen Androids created Yorha / humans-on-the-moon in response to androids losing all purpose after humanity died out.

They created the Yorha androids with modified machine cores, because they considered it inhumane to use android cores on androids created just to die. I suppose this means they still considered machines to be completely mindless.

Presumably, they left open a backdoor that they knew the machine network would find at the right time. Probably the machine cores made it possible for a virus to travel unchecked considering I didn't see any true androids get this virus. Once the machines destroy Yorha, then the androids on Earth are left with the idea that humans are still on the moon and have some renewed purpose to keep going.

The entire purpose of the machines up to end-game was to follow their original programming of fighting the enemy, and part of this meant ensuring there was still a worthwhile enemy to fight. I think the entire game revolved around the idea of finding purpose to exist, with both sides slowly finding a purpose beyond what they were originally created for. The Yorha androids were slowly desiring other things to live for outside of fighting machines (21O's family / 60 dating / 2B9S talking about what they want to do after the war), machines were slowly figuring out other reasons to exist (Pascal's village / Forest Kingdom / The Ark).

That was my understanding anyway.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

The only real problem with the combat in the game is that it's too easy to break it. If you played FF8 then you probably figured out how to break everything mostly through junctioning and cards. It's way too easy to break this game by crafting a few +6 chips and buying 99 of every healing ware.