Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

iirc the japanese va even calls it "maso"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can change difficulty at any time and there's no reward associated with it at all

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Drakengard is good

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah. I mean I brought Drakengard when it first came out and loved the bleak tone and the details like the weapon stories, but let's not kid ourselves. Drakengard did not fail to sell because it was ahead of its time. It failed to sell because as a game it was a dull loving slog to play through.

It was his best selling game until Automata

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

use the critical up weapons and everything dies in one hit

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

he doesn't work for square enix so anyone is free to contract the man to make weird stuff for them

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

they had it on a mannequin on stage at TGS and it fell over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2vgRgEds9A

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

There's this interview I remember reading (but have never been able to find again, sorry) where someone asked Taro Yoko why he made such depressing games, citing Nier as an example. He asked why they thought Nier was depressing and the interviewer responded with "Well I mean, everyone dies," to which Yoko Taro responded "What's important isn't whether they lived or died, but whether or not they achieved salvation."

Yoko Taro's games are weird an unexpectedly heavy, but - assuming I didn't just dream up that interview - I think his response reveals a lot about his thought process. Nier's actions may have doomed humanity, but humanity was previously damned regardless. There's a kind of twisted release in what follows, which extends to Nier's own arc as well.

sounds like this one http://www.glixel.com/interviews/qa-nier-automata-director-taro-yoko-w472664

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, apparently the concerts just had some classic high level Taro Yoko trolling. Bless 'im.

So, five scripts were going to be performed. One about the origins of YoRHa, one about 9S and 2E's history, one with A2, that kinda thing. And the last one, well, that was going to be post ending E.

Before the concerts, they auctioned off a handful of script books, complete text of all five performances. They had disclaimers not to share them, but, of course, internet.

The ending E script had 9S not wake up, leading to 2B shutting down out of grief. Also had 135 being a total rear end in a top hat about it. Needless to say, people started going into full on "This cannot continue!" freakouts.

And then the day of the performance came. And whadya know, it turned out Taro Yoko was playing with people's emotions again, since despite the itinerary not even having the VA for 9S listed, he showed anyway. And things went off script with him waking up, 2B living, and the pair resolving to face the future no matter what pain it might hold.

Classic Taro.

owns

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

That's not a bad ending it's an inevitable one

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's no reason to go back to it aside from dying to get the ending so they make it easy for that to happen :ms:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Sandman posted:

Kind of hope that Yoko Taro plays the upcoming Japanese translation of Undertale. It seems like the sort of game that's right up his alley.

Also think that if there were to be a full remake of Nier, it should be after they do a Nier Zero set during the war against Caim's vengeful ghost Red-Eye.

he said he wanted it to be translated so he could play it around the time it came out but i dunno if he ever got someone to live translate it for him like swery did.

either way he's been tweeting about it since the port was announced.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

weapons with critical + totally melt everything. I used Ancient Overlord and almost never needed to hack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Veotax posted:

Can't wait for the English dub to not have the actors from the game because whoever gets the rights is just going to use their usual group of local actors rather than making the effort to get the game actors.

The game's voice actors aren't hard to get, they already work on anime. What's actually going to keep it from happening is Crunchyroll or whoever refusing to work with unions. (Kyle McCarley voiced 9S)