Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I have now died twice to the part in the intro stage where you're flying your Gradius ship, and the game disables your controls while the camera switches perspectives but the bullet hell bullets dont disappear and I plow right into them during the cutscene.

This game is lucky I already know it's good because this would be enough to make me stop playing right here and now if I have to replay this six minute scene one more time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Weird possible bug thing? I just now noticed that I'm no longer actually getting any of the chips that the game is telling me I should be getting for reclaiming corpses. I noticed I didnt get either of the Shockwave +4 chips I saw that I want because Shockwave is really good, and I was suspecting it might be some sort of item limit the game wasnt telling me about so I sold a shitload of chips I didn't want, but I just now got TWO Melee Attack +7 chips off of the same course and now neither of them are in my inventory, which I am upset about.

Is it possibly related to the fact that (3rd playthrough spoilers) I'm playing as A2 in Route C

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

VanillaGorilla posted:

It seems a little unnecessary that I spent the entire cutscene for Ending A with 2B's dress clipping up over her waste and her panties on display for all the high drama.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not it was intentional.

The bottom of her dress I'm going to assume was actually blown off in an explosion. If you ever use 2B's Self-Destruct mechanic, it leaves you at 1HP and with the same destroyed outfit she has in that scene.

tap my mountain posted:

I think there's no autosaves so that you aren't punished too hard to fighting a boss you can't kill. If you fail too many times and delevel you can just load your previous save.

It's also to prevent you from totally loving yourself over on higher difficulties by losing all your chips from dying and not being able to recover them. Fun fact about that actually, in the final fight of Route A/B, you can't actually recover your chips after you reach a certain point (not for any plot reason, the game just wont let you), so any death at all will cause you to permanently lose your chips. So yeah, that would be a load if you lost your good chips on a VH run.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I went into this game with my conspiracy theory hat on way too tight and thought that given the intro of the game dealing with memories being uploaded and save data being a gameplay mechanic that they tell you about before you even start the game, I was ready for saving data to be a plot mechanic and for the true ending to only be accessible if you save in certain places or not at all or something

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

verbal enema posted:

what is the significance of the Red Girls? Did I miss something? I thought I was crazy in C when u saw a hologrammy girl in the hanger one time

Have you seen the C/D endings yet?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Meiteron posted:

These are super spoilers, do not mouse over this until you've seen C/D

I think somewhere they're literally referred to as "Terminals"; where Adam and Eve are just very advanced but individual machines, the girls are expressions of the machine network as a whole. The holograms will actually show up in a few places in bunker cutscenes, and obviously they show up during the ending B cutscene for maximum What-The-gently caress, but the bunker scenes specifically are there to foreshadow how they already have access to it for when they take control of it early on in the C route. When they're talking to you, it's basically the entire machine race talking to you, at least until A2 messes up their self-awareness in the boss fight and they turn against each other.

This game was so good

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Late route A spoilers and also Drakengard: Someone having mentioned the fuckery with Drakengard 3's boss fight prompted me to watch some youtube videos of the Drakengard endings, and I find it interesting that in the E ending, the dragon asks if Tokyo is the land of the gods. Makes me reconsider what the machine cult was talking about when wanting to "become as gods," and this being prompted by their prophet guy dying.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm seeing pod only with anyone playing on Hard.

I started watching this stream which is working on speed running and some of the skips have been neat so far. https://www.twitch.tv/elajjaz

The guy actually just managed to clip his way into the Elevator in the Sunken City that you can't access. Unfortunately it ended up just softlocking since he couldn't do anything or leave

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh, I'll keep this spoiler-free but I just thought of something helpful: Reasonably late into the game, you'll get access to a new merchant who hangs out in the Resistance Camp who will sell you a plot item. They ALSO sell a chip that automatically picks up items for you without you needing to mash O, and as far as I can tell this is the only way to get this chip. Once you beat the game you will have to re-unlock them, so pick this up while you can because jeez it's a real quality of life chip to fill up a slot, its only size 10

Nina posted:

Okay theory time.

Anybody else get the feeling the only reason Adam grows to become obsessed with hatred to the point it forms the core of his being is because 2B and 9S try to murder him the first thing he's born? He barely even tries to attack you at Level 1 and I feel like it'd be a very Nier thing to do if it turned out the protagonists ruined a potentially benevolent turning point in machine evolution without provocation. Hell Eve would've probably been an entirely amicable person without Adam telling him to fight and his later snapping when the brother he loves is killed.

I can see this being a solid line of thinking, but I also think that Eve saying "wouldn't it be more appropriate if we were named Cain and Abel?" has some significance as well. Adam/Eve are obviously reference the creation of man, which is really easily translated into the birth of the next stage of the robot's evolution into sentience. However, I think it could also be a reference to the relation between the brothers and the androids themselves, androids being created from the cores of machines. Thus, Cain and Abel would make sense as well what with the brothers being killed at the hands of 2B/9S. This would require a lot more thought than I normally put into reading into things, but I think their proposed names, with Adam deciding they will be Adam/Eve and Eve thinking Cain/Abel fits better, also tells you a little bit about their respective values, with Adam being obsessed with creation and destruction (and thus being so heavily influenced by the moments and circumstances of his birth ties into what you were saying), and Eve seeing the relationship with his brother as being his primary concern

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 19, 2017

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Snak posted:

Like im fighting a single basic enemy machine. The first type that you encounter in the game. That does the soinny arms attack. For like 5 minutes now. He still has > 90% health. It's just boring. He's 4 levels higher than me...

Are you POSITIVE it's the beginning enemy, or it it a slightly gold version? There's a super special series of three gold enemies in the city, in between the desert and the building where you start the game that have an unreasonably high defense and you're meant to come back later and murder them once you get an ability that lets you do percentage damage to enemy health that lets you bypass their defense. Those enemies are also always level 25 which is why I ask, if you walk too far away they'll disappear and then re-approaching them will cause them to respawn, they get dropped in on little helicopter enemies

Fuzz posted:

I hate how these fan artists consistently triple the cup size of every female character from every medium possible. :sigh:

Fixed that for you, but same

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man gently caress this game and gently caress you guys. I sacrific[e]d my 40 hour save file last night and I already want to go back and replay the game. I sort of wonder how absolutely nightmarish a VH playthrough would be

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bugblatter posted:

Switching to VH for bosses is totally doable and for the most part is actually not even that difficult once you know which phases aren't actually interactive and can be ignored. VH for the whole run is less doable, as there's a lot of glitchy stuff that does easily ignored chip damage on Hard, but results in confusing insta-death on Very Hard.

Certain fights/areas in particular are making me not want to do it, like the final fight of route AB having that lovely dirtstorm effect where you can barely see anything, or the desert boss as A2 which is just really poorly designed as a whole

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So I got motivated by people looking for streams/gameplay videos that didn't have constant yelling in them and thought to myself, oh, that could be me. I'll do it. Then I died five times in the intro sequence on hard mode, spending a total of two hours on it.

I'll try again tomorrow.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Vermain posted:

The thing that they don't really explain much that trivializes most of the Shmup segments is that your definitely-not-a-Gundam's Beam Saber (X) destroys both light and dark projectiles. Assuming you're swinging it at the right time, you can completely clear the board of incoming orbs.

Oh yeah the shmup parts I dont even get hit on, my main problems are that the boss doesn't have visual indicators for perfect dodges like every other enemy/boss in the game and I either end up eating a shitload of damage to the side-swipe buzzsaw move (both miniboss and actual boss) and then 3/4 of my deaths were to the bosses one-shot move

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

OddObserver posted:

Any hacking wisdom? I really suck at it, stuck on a plot chest in route C, too :(

1. Try to get a feeling for a strategy that lets you beat a specific hacking map and then just do that each time. You'll end up seeing the same hacking patterns over and over.
2. If you're REAL bad, aim straight in one direction and move side to side to actually kill enemies, so you don't even need to look at where enemies are, you can just stare at your little guy and make sure to dodge any bullets coming toward you

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlestonJew posted:

do not start a new game on hard mode. everything can and will one shot you in the beginning and you will not have fun. Start off on easy or normal, and up the difficulty as you go along when things feel too easy

I already beat the game on Normal with the best ending and such. I could just normal mode the tutorial and then switch over to hard but what is the Nier experience without pain and suffering

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FINALLY beat the intro on hard mode, although I didn't feel like the difficulty was actually that overwhelming and I'm just a total moron and have been relying too much on the game's visual cues. We'll see how long it takes me to adjust to actually being careful, and I'm interested to see which weapons I end up favoring this time around when I can't just healtank through enemy hits with offensive heal chips. I recorded it, but the audio is fuckey and I spent 80% of the time using the pod and avoiding combat, so I'll wait until I get into the next part of the game and can actually give some insight on combos and melee game mechanics to bother posting anything, now that I can actually save I'm gonna play way more aggressively.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

Is Very Hard actually possible?

Yes, but not in a way where it requires absolute mastery over the system in the same way that games like DMC3 require. Nier is a little too clunky to properly reward absolutely perfect play, and there's so many attacks that come from off-screen or will chip damage you in a really visually vague AoE that what instead ends up happening is you suck all the fun out of the game and it just turns into a pod only playthrough.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ankle posted:

So regarding ending E: when I first got to it, I didn't realize that I would have to wipe my save to get the real ending, and there was a lot of stuff that I hadn't done yet that I still wanted to do, so I said no. I'd like to experience the ending, but the credits sequence, while pretty amazing the first go around, was kind of long and I'd rather not go through it again to see the ending. Should I just YouTube it, or spend the time backing up my save to a flash drive and going through the whole end sequence again?

You've already seen the E ending, there's no actual content after the deletion other than the pods telling you thanks for playing

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Snak posted:

Speaking of countering, how does the counter chip work?

You move into an enemy while perfect dodging and you'll very quickly disappear while dealing damage and stunning the enemy, then you get dropped right in front of them and can either do a finisher move or go right back into dodges. Counters seem INCREDIBLY finnickey though, I had counter equipped for most of the game but only ever actually pulled it off maybe once or twice, since normally dodging into enemies is a bad idea when you could stay on their perimeter and crowd control them

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

i think it works the best if you think of adam and eve as basically being network admins, they can do most things, but they arent omnipresent of the network like the terminals are

It's also possible they intentionally didn't access all the information contained within the system, since they wanted to do their actual learning via reading books. It's also possible that learning humans had already died was a very recent discovery they figured out when the androids started going berserk and they were able to grab more data from them. I would say a good indication of when the robots first got access into the human info network was during The Purge when you see the girl hologram appear in the hangar.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Yeah that one. I am on the third race, but I only have one Overclock chip so using that doesn't really work for me.

As long as you have enough Movement Speed + chips to hit the +20% cap, you can still win even without anything else. Jump off the building toward the left and use dash at the bottom of your fall, then dash again to get the increased run speed and just book it toward the ramp near the building. When you hit a small fork either leading upward on the left or down on the right, go down, then run up the building ramp and start jumpdashing to close the remaining distance to the finish line.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Note that you can't mess up at all. I did it this way and beat him by like a pixel.

Hell I thought I lost.

You actually have a liiiiiitle bit of gently caress-up time if you're being turbo-efficient and are staying as far to the edge as you can to shred like two seconds overall. On the attempt where I actually got it I hosed up the fall and ended up having to sit through the animation where 2B lands flat on her face and then had to dash out from there

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Snak posted:

Pro tip: do not fall down in between the buildings.

Not specific to races:
Will someone please convince me that just sprinting is as fast or faster than spamming evade/dash? Because I know it probably is, but I have a problem not constant tapping right trigger when I want to get somewhere faster. Even though it's probably making me slower overall. The *woosh* makes it sound faster...

It's actually impossible to complete the third race if you spam dash because it's so much slower than sprinting, you're actually so loving fast it's unbelievable. If you really want to, create an imaginary 100 meter dash somewhere in the world between two landscape markers and time yourself running between them, I think you'll be legitimately surprised how much faster sprinting actually is.

I also had one of my chip loadouts entirely set aside for max movespeed, item drops, and passive healing

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay, enough people have been asking about a combat basics video that I got temped to make one, and did. It's strictly alright and I'm not amazing at the game or anything, but it covers the basics of determining what equipping a weapon in your light/heavy slot will determine, the different forms of combos, air juggling (something I feel like basically no one knows about), perfect dodging and the finishing moves, countering, and then a couple of very general combat tips. Also, I recorded this as a direct broadcast for the PS4 so there's a little bit of skipping in the beginning and then also at a very inconvenient time like halfway through, but oh well I tried. Here it is, please flame the poo poo out of me.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well, I got all the endings. Overall enjoyed it, but I don't think the story really got that interesting until C onwards. 9S's english VA really knocked it out of the park though, the dude can really emote well.

If there's one thing that really bugged me about the game though, it was the combat. I got extremely tired of it 70% thru A, and B was a slog with the constant minigame BS. The bosses all sucked And reusing the stupid rear end orb like 5 times was terrible None of the fights were particularly interesting or memorable in a mechanics sense. Which, whatever. It's a Yoko Taro game, I don't expect good combat, but I thought maybe with Platnium working on it that it'd be a bit better. But it was a snoozefest of hitting square and triangle in the same boring pattern against enemies with varying amounts of damage sponginess to them. The original had bad combat too but I don't remember it being as much of a slog in the combat sections.

Most painless Platinum trophy ever at least. :grin:

Did you play on Normal? Because since this game's Easy mode can literally play itself, Normal is the new easy mode and the gap between normal and hard is a huge jump

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I avoided hard because I was told it just made things have more hp and do more damage and that was it. Which would just exacerbate the problems I had.

That's true, but it also tightens the timings on perfect dodges and counters so you cant just spam R2 to win. Bosses require you to use more control abilities like air juggling or stagger chaining in order to get out reasonable amounts of damage, which also means properly managing what weapons/finishers you're using become more important. In short, enemies are only still meatshields if you're, like you said, mindlessly mashing square and dodging, wheras utilizing all the game's mechanics will get you through things much more efficiently

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My favorite characters in the game were 9S and Diet 9S

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Snak posted:

I want to believe that mashing r2 is slower than sprinting, but both times Ive timed myself, mashing r2 has been a fraction of a second faster, which at the very least seems to indicate they are pretty close...

Do you have any movespeed up chips? Dash speed isn't impacted at all by movespeed chips, and chips are what is really going to push the speed difference of sprinting over the edge. If you're just going through a stage normally, dashing will be fine, but if you're traveling from one questpoint to another on the map, especially in the later portions of the game, you want to switch over to a chipset with +20% movespeed because you'll absolutely notice a difference. You should have even gotten a real good movespeed chip from winning the Speedster questline, and even just the 8% is noticable.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dias posted:

See what I meant? Not worth discussing. Move on.

It's just a series of "but ~I~ like it" and that's garbage, I shouldn't even have mentioned it. Sorry.

Vermain posted:

It is incredibly important to the overall themes of the game, and the game would've been worse without the character designs it does have.

This, honestly. There's a reason that 2B is somewhat sexualized in a game where she will actively knock the camera away if you try to do a creep shot and where she constantly tells a male character trying to get close to her that emotions are prohibited

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Vermain posted:

It's an understandably contentious topic. I feel like I ought to just write up a big ol' post discussing the game's themes/ideas surrounding sex, love, and violence, because it is easy to assume the outfits are just cheesecake pandering on a casual glance. It's only once you start getting near the end of route B that you get a broad enough picture to understand how the character design fits into the larger narrative.

Nah dude you just want to **** 2B

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Augus posted:

I thought it was a bit on-the-nose that the androids were being objectified

Replaying this game has been fun. After you first meet Adam, 9S and 2B always mention him as looking like an android, or talking about why he would want to look like androids, never thinking that maybe they weren't the ones the robots wanted to emulate. It's also how funny how 9S starts off as a nerd with a dumb outfit and embarrasses himself real bad with the Nines conversation and then the rest of the game happens and it re-frames pretty much all of his interactions

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

Wait a minute...!
Nobody actually knows what's behind the secret closed doors with apologetic suicide robots in front of them?
I though that would be some kind of post secret boss thing or sumshit.

It's not that nobody knows what's behind them, you can never actually get in. That being said, I was watching a speedrun and someone managed to clip inside by using some wacky out of bounds poo poo and it was a regular elevator inside with no actual pushable buttons and it doesn't actually go anywhere so they had to load a save because there was no way out. People theorize it's how you'll access any future DLC if there is any

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

There's definitely going to be at least one piece of DLC though.

Yoko Taro said there would be no DLC and this is why people don't trust him :colbert:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Nuebot posted:

So I just reached the part where goliaths attack, on playthroug B and I realized you can actually damage them from the ground. I wonder if it's possible to kill them without getting the flight units.

Are you gonna be the video game scientist this thread needs?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

He made an innocent comment and people got insanely defensive and here we are.

Then is it fair to call you insanely aggressive considering we've had several discussions about the overtly sexual tones surrounding YoRHA and several particular scenes with really good posts and write-ups about them and the only posts I've seen you make have been making GBS threads on anyone who says a video game character's outfit isn't unacceptable?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh, additional question for anyone who has access to chapter select:

The Goliath Tank you fight in the amusement park has a hatch on the back that you can jump on top of and pull out its core with the circle button. It looks exactly like the cores you find inside the Resource Collectors, could someone see if you can specifically hack the core and if it tells you anything cool? I would do it myself but I wiped my save and am still replaying Route A.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Was anyone else waiting for the dramatic return of Jean-Paul?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

I read the NieR LP by TheDarkId, but whether thru lethargy or just being dense I missed most of the facts about the end of the game and the postgame. Since I get the feeling they come up in Automata eventually, can anyone explain some aspects of the end of NieR? My questions are who the hell Devola and Popola are and what their role was, what Replicants and Gestalts were, what the Black Scrawl was, why the Shadowlord kidnapped Yonah in the first place, who that prologue 20xx Nier and Yonah were, and finally who Tyrann was and his relationship to Ending D (which is its own confusing can of worms in my head).

So basically everything in the last third of the game I guess I somehow didn't understand :v:

*inhales*

Replicants are basically soulless bodies that human souls could possess, and were created to stop a deadly disease from wiping out the planet. They are NOT androids, which Devola and Popola were. Humans figured out a way to separate their souls from their bodies using the Grimoirs, but the souls (Gestalts) would eventually become Shades when the Replicants developed wills of their own and the souls couldn't take them over. Dev/Popo were created to make sure the whole Gestalt thing went over okay, which the Shadowlord hosed up. The Shadowlord is the Gestalt (soul) of the Nier you play in the intro, and the Nier you play in the actual game is the original Nier's Replicant. He kidnapped Yonah because he wanted to hang out with her and put her soul back in her Replicant body. Black Scrawl is basically what happens to a Replicant when a Gestalt starts to fade away, which Soul Yonah was. Tyrann is a a Gestalt who wants to possess Kaine's body because thats what Gestalts do, since his original Replicant was destroyed. He's essentially the one who offers Nier the choice of either killing Kaine or saving her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Instant Grat posted:

In case any of y'all are wondering where you've heard 2B's English voice before, here's a hint

"How could I forget my banana"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbNREEEx6ZQ

Oh gently caress