Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Sorry

https://a.pomf.cat/yrvtdg.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
How the hell do you watch the first episodes of this and think to yourself "I'm really looking forward to the subtle and subdued characters and dialog that this anime is definitely going to have"?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

why do you think that someone who both a. didn't expect the show to be subtle and b. wasn't surprised by the events of the recent episode isn't allowed to think that some things could have been done better? or even that some things could have been done better if some subtlety was used?

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
You could say this show is as subtle as a giant train.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Holy poo poo that episode lmao

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Thete hasn't been a single subtle thing about the show so far I'm not sure why anyone would suddenly expect any.
What a load of crock.

I didn't expect any subtlety out of this show; i am watching it precisely because it swung a giant sledgehammer at my face in the first couple episodes. I did however expect well-written 'unsubtle', or at least not-bad. Subtlety doesn't equal good.
You're allowed to use shorthands to set up the situation and people in the first couple episodes, to get the action going and start out with a bang, and by god did the show deliver on that.
You're supposed to stop doing that once you've established the environment, got the viewer hooked and coming down from the initial high though. Not continue to go about your plot beats in the most obnoxious and contrived way inhumanly possible.

I'm here for the sweet vindication the series delivered in the first two episodes, but so far it has just repeated the same motions again and again just to discard them without a real pay-off.

In regards to the actual episode. Mumei's backstory makes less and less sense. Unless she spent like all of two weeks with Bieber after being "rescued" by him and learned all of what she knows out on missions away from him, there's no way she wouldn't have known what a kind of person he is and what he's planning, poo poo like that needs preparation. It's actually more believable that she'd defend his ideals and way to go about them than be incredulous that they exist in the first place if she grew up with him.
Fights looked good, but there was a disappointing lack of trains smashing through zombies.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A crock is a container.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I feel like anyone over analyzing dumb anime deserves the disappointment they get

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This episode (and the previews for the finale) has made me lose my faith and respect for this show. It's kind of like Little Nemo now: Gorgeously animated, yet horribly executed. Such wasted godamn potential.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Really? As a matter of fact, I would say this week's episode was a comparative improvement over the previous one in several ways.

It's not going to please anyone who hates the direction the story is following, but I think it's good the show remembered the rest of the cast exists.

It also wasn't too bad that Ikoma actually tried to do something. Which wasn't going to be the solution, for obvious reasons, but it's a start.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 16, 2016

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Uh yeah, it was never more than a fun schocky show with cool fight scenes.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Drythe posted:

Holy poo poo that episode lmao

This show could've been awesome steampunk piston man fighting zombies with a cool train crew. Everything about this bad guy and his relationship with Mumei feels forced for no reason. :(

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I loved this episode and also the direction the past few eps have been going. It's obviously changed for the worse, but I can find it enjoyable in that really shlocky way. It's turned super anime and I can't help but laugh at/with it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good day at the office for Ikoma

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
I guess the writers not only saw Attack on Titan but Snowpiercer as well.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

It's super schlocky still, sure, but it sure ain't very fun anymore. Shrug. Would be more pissed if I thought literally any of this was going to stick(including Takumi's "death") but yeah, it brought some good w the bad but the lame parts of the plot direction just keep getting lamer.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 17, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

.Clash posted:

I guess the writers not only saw Attack on Titan but Snowpiercer as well.

yeah this owned, especially how biba sniffed out the plot

also, what the gently caress is wrong with the ocean?

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
I found Beiber's original character design

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Major Ricardo posted:

I found Beiber's original character design

why'd they change his hair pink in the anime?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I dunno this episode kinda explains why he'd be loving batshit. Dude has anime hyper mode PTSD! I assume his organization is founded on like, remnants of the 400k men who think they were sent to die under his command, so that explains how hosed up they are too.

I just kinda wonder if there's a twist that it wasn't really the shogun's fault or some poo poo to make him even more evilerest when he just kills the shogun and makes a motorcycle out of zombies that eat peasants for fuel or whatever top tier schlock we're getting.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh, it's the "things have gone about as far as they can reasonably go when things have gotten just about as bad as it can reasonably get" episode.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

a kitten posted:

Oh, it's the "things have gone about as far as they can reasonably go when things have gotten just about as bad as it can reasonably get" episode.

And then Mumei explodes according to the final episode's PV

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Good, imo

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Shinjobi posted:

Good, imo

Yes I hope it happens.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Grouchio posted:

And then Mumei explodes according to the final episode's PV

They fill her with rice until she bursts.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

They fill her with rice until she bursts.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Goddammit they killed off the best character.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Forgall posted:

Goddammit they killed off the best character.

Let's be honest, though, he was waving his 'walking corpse' banner harder than several of the actual zombies.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Fat Best Friend character always triggers a death flag when they enter the third act of the series. It's just a matter of when the episode sets off other flags to signal for them to die. Similarly, the ending triggered a revival flag so it'll be daijobu. Probably.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
Or the best friend also becomes a Kabaneri because it's all thanks to the dumb childhood promise rock and nothing to do with Ikoma's BDSM self-asphyxiation gear.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Ikoma sure got one hell of a shounen protagonist makeover at the end there.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

AHAHAHA! He became Megaman, I love this! It's dumb but I love it!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ikoma's looking pretty metal right now.

Everything's dumb but it's dumb in a fun way.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
I thought this season was only 11 episodes long. Is there one more?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Miss Nomer posted:

I thought this season was only 11 episodes long. Is there one more?

The second episode was delayed because of the earthquake in Kumamoto.
It will be 12 episodes.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Groovy.

CuLT fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 25, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Ikoma's looking pretty metal right now.

Everything's dumb but it's dumb in a fun way.
Exactly. Granted this could've gone much better but it'll do I guess.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I love that Mumei was lied to about what Biba had planned for that gate city, used as a tool to open the gates and lead to the mass slaughter of a whole town of innocent people, sees a woman and child die personally with her own eyes, and is still just like "oh sure I'll ride around with you onii-sama." Like, what more does he have to do to make you just flat out turn on him? You're a super wild awesome chick, just pretend to go along with him and then get you and your friends the hell away from him, or kill him yourself.

I get that she's been traumatized early and indoctrinated, but c'mon. You can't act like a normal and sensible human being and then be like, yeah okay this pile of humans murdered by zombies you brought in is bad, and you turning a loyal servant into a mega zombie and killing them is bad, but hey, strong need to live and weak need to die, amirite?

All that said, the world is interesting as hell, it's just a shame that Biba gets to get away with all his poo poo and almost every human on the planet is a paranoid and cowardly waste of space. I'm super ready for our hero to go on a roaring rampage of revenge with a gun-hand, Biba has ticked all my "Wanna see this a-hole die" boxes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She's been indoctrinated her whole life and it's easier for her to go 'oh, it must part of some greater good plan' than it is to have to deal with what terrible things he, and by extension she, has done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i wish she said that to herself at some point instead of being shown shocked at the kabane swarming the city, followed later by her just kinda hanging around biba seeming slightly less on board with him than before

it doesn't really look or feel like she's lying to herself about him or something that would maybe make sense

• Locked thread