Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I don't see how the L05 is gonna hate having to do that, especially since they don't really lose power until like what, 6000rpm?

Chevy has historically put some really limp-dicked valve springs in their truck motors, though. I don't know how conservative the factory redline is, but:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

My Man Shran posted:

Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus Rex

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I tried that once because she challenged me to a fart off and I swear to god this is true we never had sex again

was this also the chick who sensed your rear end-rip from across a crowded mosh pit

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cursedshitbox posted:

as for bolt pattern? i'm unsure. they look drat close.

According to the internet, it should be 10 on 7.25" with a 4.75" center bore.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elephanthead posted:

I think 22 inch rims are easy to find that will fit the rears just fine. For highway spares on your stop at every old truck graveyard journey.

From a page back, but: most semi truck wheels are on a much larger (11.25" instead of 7.25") bolt circle, although still 10 bolt. Some 1+ ton trucks use a 7.25" bolt circle, for example the Chevy step van, but the hub diameter changed (wider, thankfully) in 1954 so you'd need hub rings since these wheels are all hub-centric.

So, "yes, but." If you can scare up the right adapters, you can run whatever.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I will throw my vote in for a modern 8.1L BBC though.

Nah. Needs a ton of (expensive) parts to make real power, and it shares nothing with the earlier gens (I through VI). GenVII was pretty much a total do-over, to make it more LS-like. But the heads aren't magical like the LS, and there's only one company making heads, cams, intake, etc. If modern-ish BBC is your goal, go with a GenVI and stick a cam in there. That's as modern as you can go to still have plural aftermarket suppliers.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Are the 8.1s not just the last evolution of the Mark IVs? I know a lot more about SBCs than BBCs so my opinion's not really worth much anyway. :v:

Well, sort of. The geometry is pretty similar and the block is based on the Gen6 454, but:

Hot Rod posted:

Changes were made to the block’s oil-pan rails, all fasteners are Metric, and the 18-point head-bolt pattern (two more than the 396–502) is radically different and doesn’t begin to accept factory or aftermarket big-block heads. Thus, the 8100 block isn’t of much use to traditional Chevy big-block builders

Hot Rod posted:

The 8100’s LS-style port spacing and 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 firing order prevent the use of traditional big-block camshafts.

From here: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/gm-vortec-8100-the-454s-forgotten-big-brother/

The only shop making parts for those motors is this guy: http://www.raylarengineering.com/index.html

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

angryrobots posted:

I agree it's not any use for hot rodding, but it's a good truck motor, and an aftermarket tune (getting rid of GM torque management) will get some very usable low end grunt.

Also, can find a donor truck pretty cheaply.

I guess so, but if Sims wants a big block I think he can do better with a late model 454 and some goodies, a la the engine in Stubby Bob, which made 428HP/507ft-lb with just a cam and springs.

E: I suppose, though, if this is going to be a fairly high-spend project, Sims can always just throw the Raylar catalog at an 8100 and make good power. I just like the apparent relative ease of making the GenVI get up and go.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 23, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
This is the closest thing to "information" I can find for 7.50R20 LRG:

So looks like you can go up to 120psi, depending on corner weights.

From here:http://www.sullivantire.com/uploadedFiles/Bridgestone%20Truck%20Data%20Book.pdf

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

19 o'clock posted:

So...I suppose I misunderstood how things work relating to steering. I saw a steering box and imagine that it meant power steering, but apparently it's not the case? All that the steering box is on this truck is a gear box? I guess I always imagined manual steering to be a simple bit of linkage at the base of the column/shaft that manipulated things.

No, vehicles with non-assisted steering still need mechanical advantage. Really, they need it more than assisted steering, since you're doing it all with upper body strength. So there's probably a worm gear and a sector gear in there.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fermented Tinal posted:

So, do the truck gauges work or are you going to have the vangauges ride shotgun?

E: Also, do I spy with my little eye a rockauto box?

I'd imagine that the answer to that is "yes." He's using the truck's original trans, so the speedo should work (if it worked in the first place). But it's using the van fuel tank, so (if it got hooked up) the fuel level will have to come from the van cluster. And if the van had a tach, it would be that one too.

So probably some of both! Unless the van had a cable-operated speedo, in which case I guess he could plug the truck's speedo cable into it and have everything on one cluster.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

djdanno13 posted:

Dave says gently caress it. We're proceeding.

Oh god, that's a single circuit, isn't it. Too bad there's no time to retrofit a two-circuit master onto there for just in case.

Oh well, when in doubt, power out!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Checked bag right?

The answer is some TSA agent remembered he had to change his oil this week and figured you wouldn't notice them missing for a while

He said it was in his carry on, with the other burned jeep trophies. I think the big case of tools is for the non-burned, functional tools.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
You can also skip buying a Y-pipe by getting a 2-input 1-output muffler like this one:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-700359/

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bud K ninja sword posted:

hey dude ups trucks are cool.

i think thats where it started.

There was a picture of a field with a UPS truck in it, that was initially mis-identified as a Divco. That's where it came from.

But, I agree, that's kind of neither here nor there for this thread. I think March or April was the tentative re-start date?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

My only real criteria would be something modern-ish, with fuel injection.

Well that eliminates all the big block options I was going to suggest. Only the 8100 had decent injection, and it doesn't share any parts with regular BBCs. So yeah, probably looking at a diesel, sadly.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

I mean, I'm not saying no to carb'd engines, so I'd still like to see what you had in mind.

I think I've posted this before, but I like what HRM did with their Big Hero VI, the motor that now powers Stubby Bob.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1506-how-to-pick-up-big-power-on-a-junkyard-454-with-simple-cam-swap/
428HP/507ft-lb with just cam and springs (and carburetor conversion and long-tubes, but that should go without saying)

angryrobots posted:

Given the narrow dimensions of this truck wouldn't an inline motor be the best for permanent fitment? Maybe a Cummins?

(Of course if you do decide to go 8100 I still have that complete 8.1/allison truck that needs to go somewhere :q: )

That's a good point. BBC would probably have all sorts of problems with that steering box.

Left Ventricle posted:

You really can't go wrong with an LS.

This is definitely true. I'm not sure it will have the stump-pulling torque that a truck like this would be best suited by, though?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 11, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Leperflesh posted:

So is inch also gonna trailer all his tools out there, or is the plan to fix the trukk with bare hands and sheer gumption?

He has tools?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Didn't a lot of the locals really like him?

The ones who didn't end up with their head on a stick outside, maybe.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DICK DICER posted:

You know those are precision instruments right

Mike might be a tool, but he's not exactly precise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

it sounds like there might be a timing issue

You know the rule; when you think it's ignition it's fuel, and vice versa. And, well,

ExplodingSims posted:

I hit the fuel pump really hard and I got it to start running.

• Locked thread