Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking anything with rubber in it that's essential to the engine is going to need to be replaced for the drive.
And yeah, the "fuel system" is more than likely gonna be a tank strapped to the bed with some hose running out of it,

I hadn't thought about steering all that much though. After talking to the PO some more he says it rolls and steers just fine, but I guess I'll just have to find out when I get there.
It doesn't have power steering though, so trying to move a 20' truck around is gonna be fun.

It was designed to not have power steering, hence the giant steering wheel to give your puny arms a chance.

I would say wheel cylinders leaking like no tomorrow is your biggest death probability. Second would be carbon monoxide, third gas explosion, fourth truck rolls over you while you are trying to fix 1 2 or 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Have you checked parts availability drums might be a problem.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If the 292 has a power steering pump bracket you can sell that and recover the total cost of the engine since you won't need it anyway.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can buy an intake that will let that Buick have a distributor and carb. All you need then is a hot wire to make it go and some gas.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-24502592

Here is the part number. Ebay is probably your best source as price seem to be going up. I think there is an optispark block off plate you need also. Maybe I am thinking about an electric water pump though.

This is what happens when you stockpile LT1s in your garage and try to figure out what to do with them. They are so cheap when the optispark shits the bad for the 4th time.

Brand:Chevrolet Performance
Manufacturer's Part Number:24502592

Edit: I think you can drill new holes in any old SBC intake also. Which for this project is probably the AI way to go if you really want your SBC to be a messed up Frankenstein. I would just find any truck engine with manual transmission complete and strap it in place with ratchet straps if it were me. It is unlikely you are ever going to be able to stop the truck without dying so no need to plan for reliability.

I would just find something like this on the way.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/5562499775.html

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 31, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am going to pretend I am the Gen II small block AI expert.

Corvette LT1s have 4 bolt mains. You have to pull the pan to confirm. Roadmasters and caprices have cast iron heads, camaros and corvettes have aluminium heads. The corvette flywheel is a dual mass cluster gently caress made to make the balls to the wall six speed less clunky. These are expensive. The camaro flywheel bolts on but you have to use a different disc to fit the vette sixspeed but this is probably not applicable here. A lot of 1996 camaros got the corvette LT4 version of the LT1 because the factory had them and the vette was not getting them anymore. This was also the replacement engine shipped out to save on warehousing. Also irrelevant. Most 150K examples of this engine have perfectly crosshatched bores still inside and need almost not work to get back to like new condition. I mean after 50 years of casting these blocks are made and machined right. All LT1 corvettes have a proper transmission bolted to the engine like god intended.

The cast iron head flows better but sometimes overheats in performance applications.

Edit: There is no aluminium block LT1 or LT4 second generation.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 6, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Shipping an engine using an LTL carrier is under $200. More if you don't drop off and pickup at the terminal. Uhaul will rent you a truck for $20. (Plus .50 a mile)

Haha look at this

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/5631836168.html

216 anyone?

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 17, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/5608601977.html

Biggest TBI chevy anyone? I'm sure a muncie adapter is available somewhere.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That corvette engine is garbage get a vortech v6 instead

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This project is out of control. Just rent a truck and trailer like a normal person and drag that home so you never have a girl friend again.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That is bull new trucks can tow 23,000 lbs. This weights 9,000. That gives you a good 7,000 for trailer weight (the amount a 24 foot electric brake trailer weights). I am not sure you will find someone to rent you one but finding a farm equipment shipper in Montana is probably pretty easy. I would guess there are oil equipment shipper just hoping to find a job to pay the equipment lease all over fracking country.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can't measure the insanity without knowing what a rational person would do.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ran when parked bowtie jags are the best jags. It is unusual to find one that is so ugly too though. Normally you can find spotlessly clean ones that don't run to drop a 350 in.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Liquid Communism posted:

One of the things I cherish about AI is the fountains of knowledge available in how to make a modern engine regress technologically to just loving work.

Gas can,

Hose,

Mount above carb,

drive.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Working on rusty poo poo in the snow if giving me bad flashbacks.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So is the plan to ruin the running van to make the truck run or weld the bumper of the truck to the frame of the van?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Flip the bed cylinder around so it can lift the wheels off the ground so you can fix the brakes.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am pretty sure you can throw a slow moving triangle on that farm vehicles are exempt from everything in gods country including registration.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
1947-1953:
No ribs on the case
Grooved worm on the input shaft instead of neoprene seal
Synchro rings all differ from each other. 1st-2nd synchro ring is bronze
Weep hole at 6 o'clock on the bearing retainer snout
Six digit casting number on the case, usually like "59xxxx" e.g., 591665.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It may cause it it may not. Will is what you need to look out for.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They were just trying anything to try and make a new edge look good.

Edit dumb awful app crashing and opening in the not mustang thread.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-pcm-conversion/tbi-efi-conversion.html

This should cover everything you need to know except instead of starting with a carb engine you are starting with a tbi engine.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Look you try using the same engine for 50 years in every car you sell. We accidentally ordered 1 billion distributor gears and we can't return them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Isn't this the warmest it is going to be for 3 months?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Used eBay headers? There must be something out of the 500 choices.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just fix the leaks the brakes will work good enough I doubt the bearings roll perfectly it will stop on its own plus the dented exhaust is a jake brake.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

As long as they patch up the hole in the firewall he should be fine.

Also was wondering, does it have a functional heater?

Look they are going to Florida they don't need a heater.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

If you can't sell a red VW Beetle in the San Francisco Bay Area, you're not trying.

Most people don't want the spiders oh god the spiders.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So are you going to swap the SBC into the jeep when you get to Florida and drive that to California?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't think the TBI will squirt enough fuel to go over 4500, not that the heads would let in enough air anyway. So what I am saying is put in higher ratio rockers if you want to beat that Cessna and find a 454 TBI.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Install a pto driven air compressor.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Slugworth posted:

Honestly, I don't get why he bothered to swap the engine when he could have just pushed it across the country.

I assumed they would sawsall the body off the van and weld the truck frame on top of it and just drag the old tires.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think 22 inch rims are easy to find that will fit the rears just fine. For highway spares on your stop at every old truck graveyard journey.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
some serious low temp ice melt chemicals or a drum of kerosene.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
35.56 centimeters if you want to be continental.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am starting to think a carb and distributor are more 14 inch death road reliable.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Really you shouldn't accept anything less then a Four Seasons. The plunger guys shows up within 20 seconds every time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

Atlas 4.2L I6 :v: Oddball GM motor for an oddball truck!

Just give it better gearing to play with than a 4L60E. That engine would've been a world better with a 6L80E behind it.

As a matter of fact instead of the dumb van you should have bought a trail blazer for $500. I forgot that they have the good stuff.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I like the idea of taking a 67 and bolting on 88 running gear. The body style is boring though. The 88 cradle just bolts right in. Yes same bolt holes. Then you can just buy $10 loaded calipers and things that fit on a million unit per year GM truck..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So this truck is now a legal landmark in Valentine you are going to need a permit to move it.

• Locked thread