Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Yond Cassius posted:

Die Rose ist ohne warum; sie blühet weil sie blühet.

A rare phrase that is beautiful in both English and German.

(and: nice. :golfclap: Well-chosen quote)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Alberta. poo poo. I was still only in Alberta. Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back on Aurora.

When I was home after my first shop, it was worse.

I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my Honda, until I said "yes" to a frame-up resto. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the bay. I'm here a week now... waiting for a truck... getting softer. Every minute I stay in this Honda, I get weaker, and every minute Seat Safety Switch squats in the truck, he gets stronger. Each time I looked around, the walls moved in a little tighter.

My mission is to proceed up to YYC in a Westjet 727. Pick up the truck's path at Frank, follow it and learn what I can along the way. When I find the truck, make it move under its own power by whatever means available and terminate... the truck's immobility.

Terminate... the truck?

Terminate... with extreme prejudice.

ninja: from memory, motherfuckers. Apocalypse Now is my favourite movie of all time.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Faerunner posted:

Ride Eternal, Shiny and Chrome.

By my deeds I honor him, V8.

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 12, 2016

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

If there was one thing you could absolutely trust 14" to do, it was walk into the mouth of madness and bring something hosed up but functional back out.

The replacement engine, a Chevy 292, was waiting on them when they arrived. 14" just shrugged, downed another foil package of Chinese off-brand herbal ADHD medications, and said "It's a start."

Where he acquired a Wärtsilä RTA96C in the middle of Nebraska - let alone the eight Lycoming radials powering the massive roots blower feeding air into the monstrosity - we will never know. The 292 did get used, powering the fuel pump delivering 637.3 gallons of nitromethane per minute the hulk required. We did discover where the twin Pratt & Whitney F119 turbojet engines powering the turbos came from - the Army still tells tales of the madman with an impact driver they couldn't stop with a tank that exciting July night. And surprisingly, it all fit in the truck, although lesser men would be driven mad with just a glimpse of the non-Euclidean geometry under the hood.

The steering wheel in the cab was the tiniest wheel they could order out of China, in order to fit the bewildering array of shifters surrounding the driver's seat. He started with the gearbox from the ship, tied to a vast array of 15-speed truck transmissions, hydrostatic drives stolen in broad daylight from three different tractor shops, and Lenco planetary gearsets swiped from research labs in Japan.

No one else had the balls to crawl into the driver's seat. But 14", when he goosed that big ship engine and eased out on all three clutches, the steel Abrahms tank treads that replaced the rear wheels would leave burnout marks six inches deep on reinforced concrete.

I call shotgun.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

14 BAR RIFF posted:

So since I don't have to worry about rent, a couple hundred bucks in side jobs will handle the rest of my storage and bills.

How does AI feel about throwing in on a guzzoline fund for the last of the V6 Interceptors loaded with every last tool I can fit.

Book time says 20 hours to Nebraska.

Bet I can beat it.

In.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

So, I've been talking to Dick. We've been brainstorming things to do for this trip, and after seeing how many goons want to make this happen, we came up with IDEAS
We want to give something back for your donation, more than just the sheer entertainment value of this trip, so, for your donation, you can get REWARDS.

Yes, we put together a GofundMe thingy, https://gofundme.com/25ctjtx8

Yes, for your money you can get a cheap post card, or a lovely piece of paper that Dick's blasted with his creative juices. or a surprise art

Piston art purchased.

God drat I love AI.

ninja: FIRST

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Midjack posted:

Satellite High with an appropriate track:
https://vimeo.com/40393795

This is loving brilliant.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Just have one of the machine shops in town mill up a chunk of steel with the right inside and outside threads, like the adapter that kastein posted. Or is time more pressing that that?

+1 - local machine shop wizard is probably the best and quickest solution here.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Flip the bed cylinder around so it can lift the wheels off the ground so you can fix the brakes.

Allow me to draw you attention to the title of (and picture behind) the horrible mechanical failures thread.

Don't do this.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

God drat, dude.

:perfect:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Incredible. Thank you all for allowing me to be part of this story. Its really brought my life back and I can't put a price on how much that means to me

This is all we wanted. It'll be great to see the War Rig rolling but this.

This.

:glomp: we love you, man.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

God dammit it's gonna be another one of those nights where I'm refreshing this thread til 12 like when 14 was on the way to Valentine.

Literally me right now: :f5:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

14 BAR RIFF posted:

THE BEAST STIRS. IT DEMANDS FRESH BLOOD

:allbuttons:

Do tell?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I AM THE ONE WHO HAS CAPTURED THE SUN

WITNESS ME, BLOODBAGS

https://youtu.be/8rbQ6-K-uaM

https://youtu.be/X3-H5jGoags

\m/_ gently caress YEAH!!!!!!! _\m/

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Wrar posted:

You did it you glorious maniac!

High praise from TYRANNOSAURS IN F-14S!!!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Is that... a truck-shaped void in the snow? :aaa:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

That's a sight for sore eyes. Very nice.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

14 BAR RIFF posted:

:siren: BREAKING NEWS THE WHITE CORSICA IN THE FIEKD WITH THE 3.1 HAS A PULL STYLE BOLT ON BRACKET GAS PEDAL AND A THROTTLE CABLE END IDENTICAL TO THE L05 :siren:

:f5:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Dave!
The man they call Dave!
He turned every wrench and built Sims a truck
Stood up to the wind and din't give a gently caress
Our love for him now, weren't hardly foreseen,
The hero of AI, the man they call 14!

Now Dave saw the split rim wheels loomin'
He saw Sims' pending regret
And Danno and Dave was a-roomin'
While Dave's quail egg farts sounded wet.

Dave said "These aren't the worst of my quagmires.
I'll swap engine, and wiring, and those tires."
He put on his Carhartts
and ripped out some huge farts
Then built poo poo, and set several fires.

He pulled poo poo from cars in Dan's yard for the truck,
slogged through the build while all covered in muck.

Now here is what separates heroes
from common folk like you and I.
The man they call Dave,
with a rant and a rave,
made that 350 roar second try.

He dropped it into the dumptruck.
He dropped it into the field.
The man they call Dave,
he was awesome and brave,
and his effort paid off massive yield!

Here we go!
Dave!
The man they call Dave!
He turned every wrench and built Sims a truck
Stood up to the wind and din't give a gently caress

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap! Oh crap!

OH CRAP ON A CRAP CRACKER

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

DICK DICER posted:

The old man at Needful things APA just looked up from his catalogue because he just cant quite figure out why he suddenly felt so uneasy

:lol:

"I felt a great disturbance... as if dozens of goons had cried out in great joy... and then had expectations set of an entertaining spring."

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Well, it took most of the day (actually most of that was sorting through clips, I only did one or two takes on the lyrics), but I suppose I've been enjoying other people's content for 10 years on this forum so it's my turn to contribute.

https://clyp.it/5iblue5n

:swoon: :perfect: :swoon:

Well done, sirs. Well done.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Noblesse oblige.

God drat, dude. :catstare:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Lots of us care, but enough Davechat in here, yeah? We can have a thread for that, but let's focus on the truck and ExplodingSims in this one. :glomp:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Have just returned from 14's place with a couple of Jeep souvenirs, and some other bric-a-brac Dave can't take with him, all of which is going on the walls of my garage. I'm also holding onto his toolbox and what's left of his tools, which we'll use to get him some cash once the itch goes away.

You made a good choice by not selling or trading the tools, Dave. Happy for you. Goonspeed!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Is there an online account/gofundme type dealie available here?

I'm pretty broke as gently caress, but not so broke that I can't afford to donate 20 bucks to the cause. That'll at least get Dave a hot meal or a couple packs of smokes.
When I'm slightly less broke as gently caress, should the saga be still ongoing, I can probably toss in another 20 or so....

Standing order from the mods - and frankly, pretty important to recovery plans - was that we're not sending Dave any more cash. Adabiatic, I assume this remains the case?

I'm happy to help organize food / supply drops and / or prepaid cards though, if that's going to be ok.

e: to be clear, I'm not asking folks to donate anything. If people want to help out and mods are alright with it I'm volunteering to do some coordination, is all.

ee: step 1 is Dave getting on that Greyhound tonight, which despite my utter lack of religion, I am close to praying for.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

He pinged me about bike issues half an hour ago and I haven't heard back from him. :gonk:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I ask that mod rule that was rightly put in place gets rethought if Dave gets on the bus.

He didn't. Pretty close, he got there on his packed-up bike with his packed-up backpack, but 15 minutes late (I have a photo from Dave at about 8:30 last night of him there on his bike - it was unstable with all of the load on it) . There's a 9AM he can catch with a change fee he can cover. I gather he's slept near the bus station with his camping gear.

I've told him that if there are any fees / what for the bus that he can't cover to have them call me and I'll pay for them. If Dave wants to get on a bus, I will get him on that bus. If he doesn't, there's nothing we can do.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Facebook indicates that Dave's not seen my messages and that he was last online at 11PM. I think his phone may be dead. I'm making a couple of calls and then will drive down to the station to see what's up [fake edit: the number for the Seattle Greyhound depot goes to their central ticketing office, :lol:]. If he needs to box up the bike, he didn't have a box that I saw yesterday, but if I can find him we can get that sorted out and get him there for the late bus (11:45PM, gently caress me) tonight.

Just to head off any of the eye-rolling "never trust a junkie" poo poo here: I believe that 14 is trying to do the right thing for himself at this point. His level of preparation was obvious to me yesterday (ninja: also notable was the level of prep that he achieved in spite of what must be very strong physical urges to not prepare so that the escape would be sabotaged) - the bike, the bags, the backpack, what he was packing / leaving, the couple of things he asked me if I would be willing to take care of and why, etc. He knows - acknowledged verbally - that he has a problem and that Seattle is a bad environment for him. I believe that he's sincerely trying to use this trip, and the truck, and our excitement about the adventure to get himself out of the situation where it's trivial for him to feed the demon.

Maybe we can help him get on the bus, maybe we can't. Maybe Valentine and the truck are what he really needs to break his habit, maybe they aren't. Maybe the addiction wins in the end, but let's hope it doesn't, because Dave - actual Dave, not the person any addict ends up being because of the urges that eat them alive - is a good dude, and the world would be a less interesting place without him.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Thanks man (and everdave too). If there are fees, I've got them, no worries. Appreciate the offers though.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I agree. Greyhound won't confirm whether on not he's on the bus without the confirmation number. Can you PM it to me?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Welp, they confirmed that such a ticket exists (thanks sims!) but still can't confirm whether or not Dave is on the bus unless asked by an LEO. I'm going to do a quick grid search around the station and if I don't find him will call SPD to see if they're willing to help. Given their focus on running street folks out of town on a rail, maybe they're willing to help us get a dude somewhere else to recover :shrug:

The Greyhound dude mentioned that there are charging stations on the bus so I'm guessing we'd have heard from Dave by now if he was on it.

Fake edit: oh, Messenger says the IMs are delivered but not read, so phone has power and data? This may be a good sign.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

So, didn't find and sign of 14" around the terminal or on the route between it and his place. Spoke with a bunch of street folks in the areas and none of them recognized him; just stopped in at the coffee shop beside his place and they haven't seen him this morning either. I'm starting to be hopeful that, per previous poster, he's sleeping on the bus because exhausted. When I get home I'm going to call SPD to see if they have any interest in helping.

Things I learned today:

1) It's really hard to do a grid search in Seattle.
2) Folks living on the street are often suspicious when you hail them, but to a person are helpful about trying to locate someone you want to help. Unless they're mentally unstable, which isn't always as obvious as one might expect.
3) The sketchy parts of Seattle are waaaaaaay sketchier than even someone who has worked with the community in Vancouver's Downtown East Side could have anticipated. This city should be deeply ashamed of the lack of services and support offered to homeless and / or mentally ill people.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

El Jebus posted:

You make me proud to be a Jebus.

Seminal Flu posted:

Thank you for this. You're a good man.

sneakyfrog posted:

:smithfrog:

FTFY

But you are a real good quality human being :frog::respek::unsmith:

:glomp:

Thanks all, but I would have been disappointed in myself if I hadn't done anything.

So I spoke with SPD, and the officer with whom I chatted was friendly, sympathetic, and as helpful as he could be. I gave him an outline, in general terms, of the situation - didn't want to provide names or details immediately just in case SPD would like to talk to Dave about something other than fixing the truck in a field and riding, shiny and chrome, to Valhalla. The bottom line is that unless somebody is an imminent physical danger to themselves or others, the police won't get involved, even with a missing persons report (officer's wry note: "people are allowed to not answer their phone and to go places without telling anyone"). AKA: now we wait, because we very much need to not invent a scenario where 14" is suicidal or likely to hurt someone. That wouldn't help him at all.

Dave, man, I hope you read this post from a bus station in bumfuck nowhere and laugh about how we're being a bunch of wrist-wringing worrywarts.

Also: I'm a moron and didn't get his current phone number yesterday.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Yup, he's in Seattle. I'm on my way to pick him up. Gonna help him get the bike boxed up, sort out whatever needs sorting with Greyhound, hang out for the afternoon, and get him to the station on time.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Current status: at thrift store with 14. We're going to sort out his rack and panniers then box the bike up. He just canned himself with the bike rack. I'm rolling here.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Prepping for box. New front pads! Dave didn't lie about the farts.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Inch Bike:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

14" is on the bus, and it is rolling. Repeat: 14" on the move, en route to Nebraska. Tac teams ready! Do not open fire until I say the word. Repeat: not authorized for deadly force at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Message from Dave:

DICK DICER posted:

Pls alert thread thank you whoever put 30 on, mobile data seems to not work(if/yet/whoknows). Bus has working strong wifi, clean seats, near empty, working outlets. List of things packed into freight cargo: all wall chargers, spare cables, headphones, food or snack items, unread copy of Neuromancer. Luckily i have a fully charged brand new Anker Powercore 20100 mAh portable battery i left my only cable on hand for at the bus depot. Also the bus blocks SA.

Whoops. At least we made sure he had the 20Ah (not a typo) power brick charged...

• Locked thread