Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Astonishing Wang posted:

It looks to me like if they'd placed the dummy about 6" from the cage it wouldn't have been touched by the cage. 6" makes a huge difference in this case. Usually I'm arguing that 4" is decent but today it's 6".

Plus that was a 25 pound dummy, not an actual person. 150 pounds makes a huge difference in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

14 BAR RIFF posted:

WE GOT DUAL CHEVY HHRS

That's all this guy needed to make an HHR dualie.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Seminal Flu posted:

Even in super cold great white North, a 50/50 mix gets you enough coverage:

When I lived in Grand Forks, ND we'd see -40° (F or C they converge at -40) ambient temp so 50/50 wasn't enough on rare occasion.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Why does everyone love that bike sculpture so much?

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

User Error posted:

HAIL SATAN

HAIL SATAN

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Fermented Tinal posted:

At least now there's time to re-asses some things. Like finish the exhaust, get correct new wheel cylinders, get the heater going, replace the remaining two tires, maybe get all the wheels balanced, alignment, roadtest etc.

I love this thread, but I am going to play devil's advocate here. (Probably unnecessarily as Sims has been pretty practical throughout.)

The original point of shipping the truck to danno's and driving it the rest of the way was saving money vs shipping it. Actually, go back further; the original point of buying the truck was to get it to Florida for a frame off crate motor restomod.

This thread has been so fun to read that no one is considering whether the project is the goon in the well. Why keep digging when every effort is going to be undone and most new parts will be replace with better parts at a later date?

I guess what I am saying is 14, excellent work. Sims please let us know what the plan is going forward.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

ExplodingSims posted:

...it wasn't just about saving money. It was about adventure, getting out and seeing new places, and just doing something considered impossible. And you know what? We did it. It's almost there...

Fair enough. I have loved this thread since the beginning and can't wait to see not only how you get the truck home, but what it becomes once it's there.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Larrymer posted:

I'm automotive sanity, don't mind me. :haw:

Stitecin posted:

This thread has been so fun to read that no one is considering whether the project is the goon in the well. Why keep digging when every effort is going to be undone and most new parts will be replace with better parts at a later date?

What's up un-fun buddy? :reject::respek::reject:

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Sorry for the getting anyone's hopes up for a relevant content update post, but I just went back and reread page #1 and it is fantastic how quickly this thing took shape.

I can't wait to see phase 2.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

ExplodingSims posted:

I doubt they'd take it that way. I had enough trouble just finding someone to trailer down to Nebraska. Besides, we're pretty close to having it at running status anyways. No backing down now! :black101:

I regret being the voice of Automobile Sanity earlier in the thread.

Hail Satan; the only way out of the well is straight down!

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

nm posted:

Automotive Sanity > I Bought A Truck: Good Decisions ITT

The only way out of this well is straight down.

Let's all chip in for bigger and more plentiful shovels so we can get this party going again

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I'm the guy in the dark t-shirt and hat. A good well digging shovel can be had for $30, I'm in for that much.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Reality: Guys, the well is getting pretty deep, it's hard to dig because it's so dark.

This thread: Let's all chip in for some gas so we can dig by the light of the flames. :homebrew: :kingsley:

:getin:

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

everdave posted:

Man Tremek has well over $500 in just the camper please try to get it sorted. We were trying to give you some semblance of safe shelter. Please try to explore those links that show how the lift works. If you need a part or something I can Amazon post here.

HAIL SATAN!

It would have been ~$1,000 to ship the truck the rest of the way to Florida. Piss on Automotive Sanity, Piss on I Bought A Truck: Good Decisions ITT. No one cares about the truck anymore... be honest, do you remember the year of the truck? Do you remember the make/model of the truck? loving cut up the truck for parts to make the trailer work.

DIG THAT WELL, DIG THAT WELL, DIG THAT WELL!

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Don Dongington posted:

When you're finished, please jump in it and don't post here anymore, TIA.

No, I'm being serious. I sincerely support this effort 100%, I sent money to help cover hotel room costs. I love this thread.

Edit: Also, I was a bit butt hurt, so I looked it up, I last posted in GBS on January 18th.

Double Edit: I don't think that chucking a few bucks towards somewhere safe for 14" to sleep for one night entitles me to poo poo up the thread. I just embrace the absurdity of the whole thing. This whole thing is bug nuts insane, and I love it.

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 10, 2017

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Then why did you post what you did?

I edited my above response to cover this a bit, but honestly if Tremek wasn't acting as Patron of 14" right now he'd be where? Homeless, penniless, hungry, walking to somewhere to scream into the void until someone gives him back his bike, tools, and jacket?

I'm not missing the subtext of the thread, I'm pointing out the aparant lack of concern by anyone for the central point... a 1951 Chevy 6400 Dump truck.

I want to watch from afar and see how 14" fairs in dismal living conditions, I want to watch from afar and see whether it's possible to make a truck with "15' Wheelbase, 20' total lengh, and weighing in a 3 tons" run in the middle of a muddy/frozen field in nowhere NE. I also want to remain cognizant of the fact that it's absurd, and what I'd rather watch from afar is ExplodingSims going full on Moocow and bring this monster to its final form.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

PopeCrunch posted:

Like I said the first time around, this isn't about fixing a truck, it's about fixing a beloved member of the AI family, or more to the point, giving him the tools and the venue for him to fix himself. To forge himself anew in the fires of Truckhalla (or a handy jeep). For all of our laughing and sending him pickled quail eggs to visit a Carthaginian ritual of pure destruction on some poor guy's toilet, this is, at its heart, an act of love. When we look at Dave, we don't see a mechanic or a monkey who dances on command, we see ourselves but for the grace of whatever. By helping Dave, we admit on some level that we ourselves are worthy of care and maintenance and repair. Also, a truck.

edit to add: and he's one hell of a storyteller.

I don't know anything about 14"''s story other than what I can gather from this thread. I don't know him and I don't deserve to. From 1,000 miles away I don't think that if substance abuse is an issue for him that the best way forward is misadventure rather than structured recovery, but again I don't know anything.

I am also not a mechanic. I don't know whether it's possible to drive the truck away from Valentine, it seems a lot more likely if the only guy working on it had at least a couple of crescent wrenches.

In the meantime, this whole project is the goon in the well and everyone else must see it. I embrace it. You should to.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

PopeCrunch posted:

What you're missing is that structured recovery a la rehab simply isn't beneficial for everyone - knowing a number of people like Dave, and having been much like him myself before I got too old for it, he is not the sort of person for whom a 12 step program, guided meditation, and cognitive behavioral therapy is going to be most effective. (He's more the 'other' type of CBT). What works best for folks like this is half chosen family supporting him and half a goal to work toward - and you don't get much more supportive than 'here, let's literally pull you off the street and get you set up somewhere far enough away where you won't have the same places and the same people helping you fall into the same problems', 'let's make sure your basic needs are sorted out without making you feel like a charity case', and 'no matter what, we absolutely have your back' combined with honestly? A pretty loving baller project for a goal. The core of AI, like the core of any community, is a family (and not one I feel like I've really earned my way into, I mainly just lurk threads and check out rad stories), and this is a family affair. This community is kind enough to accept folks that aren't in the inner circle and welcome them to hang out, the least you could do is not piss on their favorite son.

That's enough derailing from me, methinks.

First and foremost, 14" I'm sorry to have been part of a discussion about you and your needs. Even worse, one that you are 100% party to that has taken place as though you weren't.

Second, what "favorite son" have I pissed on? Click on the little question mark under "Mayor of Stitecinopolis" and read every post I've made in this thread, at first I wanted to convince ESims to just get the truck hauled home but since February I've embraced the whole thing, trying to drive it home is a ridiculous lark that I support and can't look away from.

Third, Hail Satan, dig the well, ride shiny and chrome!

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Your post at the goddamned top of the page says otherwise. If you mean what you're saying now, then that post is a masterful work of inauthenticity and linguistic massacre. That's all.

Bullshit, reread it instead of being a snowflake.

Stitecin posted:

HAIL SATAN!

Seems fair enough.

Stitecin posted:

It would have been ~$1,000 to ship the truck the rest of the way to Florida.

Refers to the absurdity of the amount of money spent by various goons on this project.

Stitecin posted:

Piss on Automotive Sanity, Piss on I Bought A Truck: Good Decisions ITT.

Shows my embrace of that absurdity.

Stitecin posted:

No one cares about the truck anymore... be honest, do you remember the year of the truck? Do you remember the make/model of the truck? loving cut up the truck for parts to make the trailer work.

Meshes pretty well with everyone who posted saying that the truck isn't the point anymore.

Stitecin posted:

• Locked thread