Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Elephanthead posted:

It was designed to not have power steering, hence the giant steering wheel to give your puny arms a chance.

I would say wheel cylinders leaking like no tomorrow is your biggest death probability. Second would be carbon monoxide, third gas explosion, fourth truck rolls over you while you are trying to fix 1 2 or 3.

You missed the outside chance of a split rim detonating while trying to get it off the hub it's rusted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Garbage Dick posted:

My only hang up is May 12th I have a critical absolutely can not miss appointment for DSHS, so I'm literally wide open up to and after that day. Basically I'm saying get me there and guarantee me getting home, and work rations of Camels and literally any cheap food you'd feel like kicking my way, and in return you buy literally anything all the way up to spitting raw nitro into superchargers and entry into Valhalla itself.

The blackest of thumbs. This is starting to sound like an adventure.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TheNothingNew posted:

Suggest the southern route to keep as far from Chicago traffic as possible. Wish I were closer, I'd offer beer or something.

Also this was my new favorite project thread even before it took a turn for the fantastic. So excited.

If you do go south, I can recommend a great place to hit up for lunch in Iowa City. Hamburg Inn Number 2 is probably the best diner in the state, and has the Best Thing Ever : The Pie Shake, which is exactly what it sounds like, a milkshake made with a slice of pie.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm becoming increasingly concerned with how you are, for lack of a better term, grooming that boy.

Flat-rate techs are not born, but rather crafted with pain and corruption.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sidewall failed where it meets the tread right about neck level to the dummy. Decapitated it nicely and blew the body at least 15'.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Have you played the Mad Max game? I can fully picture 14" climbing around the back, muttering prayers to the Angel of Combustion.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 4, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

14" was not into serious street-modding, but he was hell on wheels in a shop bay. Any combination of a scrawny white kid and WD-40 is a potentially terminal menace for anything it can reach – but when the alleged kid is in fact a profoundly disturbed flat rate mechanic with no fear at all of anything that rolls on less than six wheels and a de facto suicidal conviction that he will die at the age of 33 – just like Jesus Christ – you have a serious piece of work on your hands. Especially if the bastard is already 33½ years old with a head full of asbestos dust, a loaded air gun in his belt, a sledge-wielding black thumb on his elbow at all times, and a disconcerting habit of projectile vomiting geysers of pure blood off the front porch every 30 or 40 minutes, or whenever his malignant ulcer can't handle any more raw tequila.

Apologies to HST, but it fit the mood.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/5559820967.html

So, I just found another bad idea...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

But think of the noise that fucker would make...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Threw a couple bucks your way, because this kind of madness needs support.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Can't help but notice that "call the Roadkill dudes" is missing from your list.

You sure they don't have a pre-emptive restraining order regarding 14"?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

One of the things I cherish about AI is the fountains of knowledge available in how to make a modern engine regress technologically to just loving work.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Depends on the quality of your local water supply. Some places the water is perfectly fine for coolant use. There's a few papers floating around with standards and such. I know that here in Calgary in the winter and late summer, our tapwater is well within most of the acceptable limits (spring we spike because we're right under the mountains and the runoff is full of minerals).

Not that it matters to me, I'm lazy and use premix.

Yeah, we can't pull that poo poo here, our water's got so much lime in it that I used to have a job driving a loving bulldozer on the the six story high pile of it the waterworks had built up from filtering it out.

Selling it by the semi load for fertilizer was barely making a dent.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fourteen Inch Morale Officer?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Just a glitch in the Matrix.

It happens when they change something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

This this will be done by the time 14" gets there at this pace.

Seriously, you guys are rocking through this a lot faster than I thought you would, hell of a thing to watch!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

i'm 6'3", and about half of that in leg, from my rear end to my knee when sitting is probably over 2', so just picture someone who literally cannot fit in a bus seat lengthways as opposed to width.

I commuted from Kitchener to Toronto (about an hour each way) every day, on a Greyhound bus. For two years.

I'd rather walk.

That's why I fly. At 6'6" bus or plane is miserable, but the plane ride lasts 45 minutes instead of 12 hours.

Amtrak's super comfy, if you have a spare week to get where you're going.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

daslog posted:

I don't know much about non-subarus, never mind a truck like this. What are the odds that this thing runs and drives at this point?

100%.

The question is always going to be '...until Florida?'

Which will again, be 100%, over a long enough time frame. :getin:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Each day I become more convinced.

This will be the horn that heralds the apocalypse. The coming of the end times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZJej98_T0

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Believe me I considered it.

And I legit wanna apply to be a third shift tow truck driver when I get home.

Jesus Christ if that isn't fitting. I can't imagine the wonder and horror of being stranded in the loving woods outside Seattle and having you roll up in the middle of the goddamn night.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hi Brady

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mountain House's beef Stroganoff is the best thing I've ever taken on a hiking trip. Good poo poo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I was just outside looking at the night sky, and at the exact moment I thought how many years it has been since I saw a shooting star, a brilliant one streaked across the milky way. Its been about 8 years since I've seen one. Call me superstitious, but I won't say what I wished for.

But I can say for the first time in a long, long time I think its gonna be okay. Don't know when or where or how, but its gonna be okay

:unsmith:

Just don't freeze your balls off out there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Those things are loving great. Got one for Christmas a couple years ago and use it for everything at work.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

You're really lucky that's ALL he stuck down your throat!

Oh come on now, what's a little ramming an ovipositor down the throat and laying eggs in their chest between friends?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

joat mon posted:

On its way to Iowa, I think.

gently caress you, keep your goddamn snow. I don't want it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

And soon all the cars and tractors in Dave/Dans yard will congeal into one unholy mass.

If by unholy mass, you mean doof wagon...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Both. Definitely both.

Either that or the fire department came out to see what the noise was just in case.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I look loving sunburnt lol

Windburn hurts just the same, and there's probably a little sunburn on there. Snow reflects light like a sonofabitch, and you don't realize how much UV you're taking on a cloudy day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The concept of it being -10C and completely clear just fucks with my brain. Especially at midday. I've only ever been in -10C once and gently caress that poo poo.

That's the midwest.

The clear days, and especially the clear nights are the bad ones. Means there's nothing to keep the heat in, so the sunlight just bounces off the snow and all the day's heat bleeds off into the sky. It gets colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

HYPE STATUS: GOTTEN

The balls cannot get any more blue. :catstare:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

User Error posted:

How long before you drive the War Rig to sunny Florida loving VALHALLA ?

:black101:

Does Sims know yet?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

If so I hope they got a block heater for their massive brass testicles. You couldn't pay me to gently caress with 50 year old split rims.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

You're going to get pulled over on the way to Florida and the cop's just going to :catstare: and tell you not to die before you cross out of his state.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The most foul of hater pipes? :black101:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It just indicates Sufficient Torque was applied.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

zundfolge posted:

Thread status: being monitored from underneath the cornfields of Iowa :v:

It was already be monitored from above them anyway. :stare:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Forecasted weekend low of -30°F :stare:

Welcome to the midwest.

If you don't me soon, your balls may freeze to the floor until March.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Weather forecast says back up to +30°F by Monday. Roughly 60° swing in about 36 hours.

Welcome to the Midwest, indeed.

Yeah, the weeks where we start praying for snow, because when it's clouded up and snowing it's usually ~20 degrees warmer than the clear nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Went back and looked, 3100rpm for 55 assuming 6.17 rear gearing. Honestly, I don't see how the L05 is gonna hate having to do that, especially since they don't really lose power until like what, 6000rpm? At 6000rpm we're talking like 90mph.

In theory, the truck can almost pass for a low-flying cessna in 4th with the hammer down.

Jesus, 6k RPM with open headers and three feet of total combined exhaust tubing would make one hell of a noise. :stonk:

• Locked thread