Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

14 INCH and the WAR BRIDE rolled to a stop in a backwoods town of Polk County,

You do not want to do this, trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just go home man, then go back to Nebraska if you can in the summer and finish it out. There's no reason for you to continue pushing on, like you said just delaying the inevitable at this point. This is a weather permitting project and it's just not permitting right now, and probably won't for the for the next six months. Go home and regroup, then go back in the summer guns blazing.

[e] maybe spring if summer is like death valley in Valentine :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 30, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Stitecin posted:

I love this thread, but I am going to play devil's advocate here. (Probably unnecessarily as Sims has been pretty practical throughout.)

The original point of shipping the truck to danno's and driving it the rest of the way was saving money vs shipping it. Actually, go back further; the original point of buying the truck was to get it to Florida for a frame off crate motor restomod.

This thread has been so fun to read that no one is considering whether the project is the goon in the well. Why keep digging when every effort is going to be undone and most new parts will be replace with better parts at a later date?

Who cares. Whats important is that it turned out to be probably the best thread to ever grace AI, and it was needed therapy for Dave.

How the truck actually ends up will be a small footnote compared to the story of how it was resurrected and helped someone in the process.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I love Gordon Lightfoot. That was awesome.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somebody here with a halfway decent singing voice record that over this please oh please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM-5_3B-c5g

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 15, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

gently caress my work computer doesn't have speakers I'm dying over here I gotta hear this

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Listened to it on my phone.....Genius. The ending was perfect.

Thanks for taking the time to record that Super Soaker Party, and to wesleywillis for the superb writing. This will live in AI lore forever or until the internet dies.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When is the thread gonna be goldmined that's what I want to know.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

YES. The job must be finished, it is your DESTINY.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Flap your arms really hard, and tighten up those bootstraps!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Dudes hitch-hike around while walking the Appalachian Trail with a backpack full of poo poo. I'm pretty sure you could find a way to get 50 pounds of tools and cat food to Valentine.

50 pounds lol. 14 if you had to guess, how much would all your tools (including box) weigh?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

I don't know what your plan is, but, depending on certain other factors, I, and possibly some other people will be heading out in November-ish to get this done. If you want to start the party early though, that's even better.

Pretty sure he doesn't have any plans at this point, but if he does somehow make it there it will be by the grace of god.......Or satan.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

That just makes every day.....Training Day.

Nice bike, what is it? Is that a nexus 8 speed hub?

I've been looking at Hybrid bikes with a Nexus8 and disc brakes but all the ones I've seen are either cheap poo poo or way out of my range.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

gently caress it, get on the bus.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ. loving incompetent non-caring idiots, you can't depend on anyone to do their jobs anymore.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Honestly the odds of someone just taking that bike are pretty high, I wouldn't be surprised if a loving employee took it home.

And considering how empty the bus was he could have had it right next to him in the isle or something, what a bunch of bullshit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe nm could call them up and scare them with lawyer speak? Getting a lawyer involved tends to work on moving people off their rear end.

Don't mean to put you on the spot nm, just an idea.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty much, and if they can get away with it they will take advantage.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Hey, just wanted to give a shout out to everyone who donated money for supplies and stuff for Dave.
Went ahead and sent it all to him today, as it seems I might be without power or internet for a bit here in the next few days.

This has been nerve wracking waiting for Irma to make the turn north, local guys saying not much more they can forecast until that happens.

Stay safe man.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dave stopped moving, hurricane Irma weakening......Coincidence?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If it wasn't for the horrific bug stories I'd say it looks peaceful and relaxing there. Nice place to camp minus the flesh eating flies.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

e: A little more literature that talks more about their habits and bite https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/insidious-flower-and-minute-pirate-bugs They are the bane of my existence this time of year.

"One consolation - the bugs are not quick to fly following biting, so the victim usually has the satisfaction of removing the offender from the ranks of the living."

:v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

VALENTINE HAS HOT WATER PUBLIC SHOWERS

Wow, that's like finding a treasure chest or something. Good poo poo.

So when are you going to put in an application at NAPA :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

*while huddled in a tent because it keeps pouring rain and you have half a pack of tortillas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's cold and windy, you have one donated jacket, one mountain house meal, no debit card yet, and your awesome toilet doesn't have rain cover on it

Get the My Radar app, then at least you can keep track of what the storms are doing. In FL it's a must have, eliminates guessing if it's gonna rain or not.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acmeaom.android.myradar&hl=en

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

WIIIIISE FWOM YOUW GWAVE

Somebody send him a weed wacker

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I keep forgetting that Dick is from the west coast, anyone used to that weather going to the midwest must be like what the gently caress :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well this is unfortunate.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Land owner is over it all apparently, can't really say I blame him.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

That probably doesn't help in retrospect

Probably not. If you're gonna be there for awhile or planning on living there, you don't want to be known as the resident vagrant picking up cig butts.

You're eventually going to need a job and don't want that stigma, it's a small town word travels fast, everyone will know your business in 2.2 seconds ask me how I know.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Are there any tools en route to Dave? Please speak up if you have put tools in the mail that are expected to arrive?

Medium-term obviously the trukk has to move, but in the immediate moment, DJDaddo might be satisfied if we can at least give Dave something to do, to show some progress. And that means he needs some drat tools.

Dave should probably move his camp somewhere else first I would think, like he said he's basically squatting and who knows how long it will be before he can actually work on the truck. That would at least make the appearance better and maybe make Daddo feel better about it.

Wow good poo poo.

Yeah honestly if you want to be in good graces with the town Dave you should probably start working doing something, anything that shows you're not there to just wander around. Will help with the local cops as well, obviously you don't want to be on their radar.

[e] Were you even planning on staying in Valentine or moving on to somewhere else?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 19, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Panaflex posted:

Agreed. DJDanno's absence from these recent developments is a bit of a worry.

Maybe he just hasn't been paying attention to the forums lately? Can anyone text him or email him or something?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

Did you let the bearing innards fall out? I dropped an open Jeep transfer case on the grass once (rebuilding it after the internal differential had exploded and shattered the case). All the needle bearings fell apart. I found ... most of the rollers, and it ran like a champ for a year until I got a replacement gearbox. gently caress the bearings, the camper roof has to go up and down once, you don't really need bearings for that.

Um he's not staying there forever and will have to move it to wherever he's going to camp next. And if he needs to sell it down the road it's going to need to work correctly, might as well get it working right now.

Dave, pro pop up tip, if u can get some reflectix or similar insulation sheets you can cut them to fit between the screen and flap for some added insulation.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Does the camper stove not work? Wouldn't be more efficient and easier to get a propane tank hooked up for the stove and heater?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

beep-beep car is go posted:

Just testing to make sure the biolite works?

Was just wondering why he hasn't been using the stove this entire time, empty tanks would be a good reason I guess :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rime posted:

Oh man, I've gotta take that one over to drugs.txt.

Nitrile gloves are safe for use with it at 22mm, otherwise I would be dead. My job since June has been scrubbing windows with the stuff to remove concrete deposit etchings, while suspended 400' in the air.

:stare:

No offense man, but I would rather make Whoppers at Burger King living close to or at the poverty level.

Cat Hatter posted:

And it is powered entirely from twigs that you find lying around instead of having to buy propane. There will be a time for cooking on the propane stove and that time is called winter.

Oh cool, I didn't even realize that, I thought it was one of the small canister propane type stoves. Sounds like it could definitely come in handy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wait, are those the ones you lost earlier or just a random pack someone else lost? And they are sealed and dry?

Looks like karma is starting to tilt in your favor :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I quit smoking a long time ago but Camels are my weakness. If anyone offers me one I have to take it, so smooth even after all these years of non smoking.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

PopeCrunch posted:

I lived in Juneau for a bit and - yeah bald eagles are poo poo idiot birds.

Every area has that, not really surprising. Here in FL it's seagulls, NY it's pigeons. But yeah gently caress those dumb birds for trying to survive :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Apparently there's a population problem in Alaska because the Bald Eagles here are cool :shrug:

therobit posted:

All birds are poo poo idiot birds.

And this pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Since you found the pack of Camels the karma gods had to put you behind again apparently

Next time avoid the free poo poo falling from the sky and you'll get your debit card :v:

• Locked thread