Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I don't know poo poo about engines to suggest but I wanted to thank everyone involved in this thread for an amazing read and I'm really interested to see how (or if) the journey resolves in a couple months, not to mention whatever ultimately happens.

At 36 I'm just getting into cars after more or less just seeing them as a utility to get from one place to the other for the last 20 years of driving (beyond demanding a stick shift) so it's pretty fun to learn poo poo and get excited from people who know more about this than I ever will and are really into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Posts like this are some of the best part of the feelgood thread of 2016. Seeing someone pop up and go "I know fuckall about cars but I've been inspired by this man to go do poo poo" is so heartwarming that it's almost painful.

Last Friday, my old Ford Ranger's instrument cluster decided to spaz out, so I got ready to call my mechanic, but then thought "Hang on, I just (sort of) watched a man freeze his balls off out in a field in the Midwest fixing up a truck; I can at least take a drat look at the thing if 14" can do that.

So, I did.

Sunday evening, I'm sitting on the front porch with an iced tea, coated in engine grime up to my elbows, wearing the biggest poo poo-eating grin. Sure, it was just hunting down some frayed wiring, but I did it, and as a bonus, I replaced a broken vacuum hose I noticed while I was in there. Can't tell you what the gently caress it went to, but goddamn it, I fixed it, and she runs great now.

Thank you again, 14" and everyone who helped along the way. Looking forward to the triumphant return to Fury Road.

I mean, I took auto shop in high school and I've done oil changes and replaced pretty much every part of disc brakes, starters, alternators, etc and I can do basic troubleshooting and such. But it was never an interest, just a necessity because I was too broke to pay for repairs.

I bought a new WRX this year and the basic stuff I've been doing on it has been for the first time FUN, and I'm interested in learning more. My wife has been getting an interest too and really wants to fix up an old rear end pickup truck, so this thread was right up my alley. This thread, more than any other AI thread I've seen, just oozes passion and should get almost anyone excited about this poo poo.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I can only dream how this thread will get better.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

speechless

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

nm posted:

Amtrak gets a bad rap outside of a few long distance trains.
I had a meeting in San Jose that started at 10 and ended at 4:00, I live in Sacramento.
I look the train, my co-worker took a car with a carpool. I got home an hour before he did. Plus they had beer (stone) on the train.

I biked from Seattleish (anacortes) through the Dakotas (which would put you only a couple days from Valentine) and it would only take a month or so if he was in shape and left before it snowed. Also, his particular bike is probably not well suited to sustained long distance riding.
Don't actually do this, Dave.

Hypothetically speaking, will meth increase or decrease the amount of time it takes? Asking for a guy I know.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Rime posted:

I mean WWII was fueled by meth on all sides, as was the Japanese economy post-WWII for like nearly two decades.

Meth: An Uncomfortable Part of our National Heritage.

Wasn't that more regular amphetamine pills rather than methamphetamine?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

It feels weird to be this emotionally invested in a dude I've never met and a truck that belongs to someone else that I've also never met.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That's one way to get a row to yourself.

Bonus points if the driver gets caught in the crossfire.

Until he decides enough is enough and drives the bus into a concrete embankment

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Dagen H posted:

Post/custom title combo

This was the source of my name like nearly 20 years ago now :corsair:

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/someday-i-will-drive-this-short-bus-myself-10776

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

How the gently caress does a bus lose stuff? It's not like there are hundreds of routes with thousands of passengers leaving the bus terminal each day like a busy airport.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I take the Van Galder bus run by Coach USA from Madison to Chicago and back whenever I fly out of O'Hare and it's actually really nice. I've never been on a Greyhound, I guess, so I don't know the intricacies of either their lovely company nor cross-country bus travel with multiple transfers or w/e I suppose.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

I'm sure the more poo poo they catch from all angles, the more likely that Dave gets the bike. The more the merrier.

Or because they're a company that actively hates their customers, the more poo poo they catch from all angles, the more they double down on their "policy."

I'd let Dave do what he can on his own at this point, and unless he directly asks someone for help, I'd not actively do anything.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

TWSS posted:

How can we get Dave's cat to nebraska?

Are the cat's whereabouts even known, and/or was the cat given to someone else with the condition that he could have it back? That was all kind of nebulous if I remember right.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

You picked a pretty odd hill to die on, dude.

As far as the camper, we used to have one of those when I was a kid. The roof doesn't weigh a ton, and the uprights aren't frictionless, so it'd probably come down really slowly. I think crushing is unlikely, at least in a way that might cause injury, but it may come down in a way to trap. If you sleep on one of the wings, keep a knife there to cut your way out of it if need be. Ours had these braces that pretty much prevented it collapsing - they were 4 metal thingies the length of the supports that you kind of pressed on, with a cross section of ]. Did it come with those?

But I think I'd go with a tent until that's less of a concern.

Dave - do you think one of the auto parts store dudes might be willing to come out and help you with that if you're still on good terms with them? I'm not sure if that's the best idea, but I think it's worth considering. A second pair of hands would really help.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

They will not give him pain killers.

I don't think anyone suggested painkillers. Dentists may have other options for short-term relief. At the very least, I agree with an evaluation.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

McStephenson posted:

A Mad Max: Fury Road reaction GIF re:my sincere assertions.

Touché.

edit: then again people are literally working to get a shipping label slapped on a box to "Burned Out Van, Valentine NE" soooooo

The Jeep was burned out. The van is only clapped out :colbert:

(and engined out)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

man, biting flies are the loving worst. For whatever reason they were way worse than usual at my house this summer. I normally spend most of my summer sitting outside or otherwise doing outdoor things but the constant biting just made it unfun. I sympathize.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

rdb posted:

That town has to have a farm supply store, get a bottle of permethrin and spray it everywhere. Personally I use the 10% horse spray concentrate mixed up in a 2 gallon sprayer. Kills every bug it hits and has a long residual. I treat clothes/shoes and spray it on myself before going into the woods.

Purchasing products with "meth" in the title might be a less than stellar idea.

(in keeping with the bad joke thing)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

nm posted:

Box is gonna be 117 with 1700 insurance (which seems like a good idea all things considered).
Just gotta get confirmation my guy is able to get to the gas station tommorow.
Would get there on Monday.

sending pm

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

nm posted:

The good news is that with a basically new bike, we'll do pretty ok. Bike flights apparently deals with the insurance stuff and allegedly is pretty good.
I wish I'd had the idea of just recommending that we bike flight this box from seattle to north platte and this thread would have been a lot less epic.

To be fair, just having the bus Dave was on carry it with him isn't exactly some lunatic idea that we didn't think through. Even with Greyhound's reputation I'd have put money that Bike Flights would be more likely to lose it than Greyhound just because it seemed like there were more moving pieces with the flight option.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I thought the door couldn't go in because the roof couldn't go high enough to make it go in.

Edit: I'd kick in on the tent but I just kicked in for the bike shipping and I've spent a lot this month :(

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

I cant stress enough without you guys Id be circling the drain on the streets in Seattle. Difference between this trip and last time is im not going back.

A topic that occasionally comes up is whether or not you can be trusted with money or goodwill or whatever the gently caress. I think it's the complete loving opposite. If goons give you money and you gently caress up with it, then goons are out money. But, all they're out is money. They're not out anything important if their trust is broken.

You took this trip for your own reasons, but if we break your trust here, you're utterly completely hosed. Not just out $15 or $100 or whatever the gently caress. For all the talk about trust going towards you, there isn't enough about the trust that you've put in everyone from this thread (and facebook and whatever,) and even though I've only been a really small part of this saga, I think that's amazing to see.

I've had a lot of friends go through some really bad drug addiction and other issues, and I myself was probably one or two bad decisions back in high school from ending up in that same boat. The difference is that my high school friends were pretty much unwilling to apply trust towards anyone else, and that really limited their ability to recover or break out of it. I buried my best friend from school a few years back, and I buried probably my 2nd best friend from school last year. They were both in their early 30's. They would occasionally accept help, but they never actually ever gave anyone their complete trust. You're willing to leave an entire life behind, and while you obviously have trust in your own abilities to deal with bullshit that comes up, you're also trusting all of us to keep you out of a hopeless situation. I think it's loving awesome that you did, and everyone here has a huge thing to live up to for that. We're all rooting for you and you've got a hell of a lot to be proud of by taking that first step. Keep it going.

I'm not really sure how to word that. Hopefully it makes sense and doesn't come across wrong. It's kind of an emotional day for me.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

And poo poo grows there?! :aaa:

Mostly wheat.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Tremek posted:

You won't see dead insects until it's down into the 20s.

Dave, did you ever read Hatchet by Gary Paulsen in school?

My Side of the Burned Out Jeep

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

Lmao it just dropped 15 degrees and started raining for no reason at all

It's the midwest and it's still mostly summer. That poo poo is normal.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'm kind of surprised about the sudden urgency to the whole thing, but as it's not my land I can't exactly be upset about it.

ExplodingSims have you talked to djdanno and figured out what's going on here, exactly?

And if this does need to stop now and the truck be either shipped at great expense or scrapped somewhere in Valentine, then what? Where does Dave go?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I have an acre in Wisconsin as well as like a 60 gallon air compressor and a bunch of tools, but the problem is the land isn't at all flat and I'm not sure where the truck could be put that wouldn't be on some dangerous angle. The flat part of my driveway would also be too small. It also doesn't solve any problem about cost, since Wisconsin isn't all that close to Nebraska and if we're going to ship it here, we might as well just finish the trip and send it to Florida.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Yeah I don't think anyone should be upset at all with djdanno or djdaddo or any of that. They've been more than reasonable with this whole thing, even if the current situation comes as somewhat of a surprise. They're not out of line at all, and we haven't heard anything directly from them anyways so it's all conjecture or interpretation.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

daslog posted:

Can someone explain the housing situation? Does hr have a place to stay?

camper, that's presently semi-functional but should be wholly functional once the whiffletree shows up.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Real Name Grover posted:

Naw man, Waffle Houses are for you Southerners. We don't have a single one in all of Nebraska. poo poo, there are only, like, two Denny's too. It's all Perkins, Village Inn and Cracker Barrel. Not the same :(

The Mason-Dixon line has been replaced by the IHOP-Wafflehouse Line.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

stevobob posted:

What the hell? How does this story keep getting better and better? The random dog loves snuggling and also farts? God drat I hope this gets made into a book or something

tbf every dog farts

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

Ooh, a thunderstorm, you're getting the full Great Plains experience. Hopefully no tornadoes.

I lost a tree and a big lilac bush in Wisconsin this year. Been a rough year for windy storms everywhere I guess. Fewer tornadoes than 2014, though, which had a bazillion within like 20 miles in a month or two span.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

The clutch kit came with one and I believe it was bronze.

Also how the gently caress are people reading this thread and not knowing that I bought the drat thing?

The thread stopped being about you 150 pages ago. You've been relegated to a bit player in a background role.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

Moving with a dump truck would be sweet, when you get to the new place just tip the bed up and everything is unloaded!

This is as good a place as any to tell you that I really like your avatar and I watch it for minutes at a time sometimes.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

Thanks friend.

Not sure if I am gonna keep it - after buying it I noticed that someone in yospos has the same one. I really like it though.....

If you don't post in YOSPOS I assume it will be OK. It is a good avatar. Do not get rid of it lightly.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

DesperateDan posted:

First time I have missed having facebook

I deactivated mine about 3 weeks ago and this nearly brought it back.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

Straight answer: help Sims getting poo poo sorted out. Then head for Kennedy Space Center, and then ride my fuckin bike to Denver.

Serious

Swing through SW Wisconsin on your way and I'll feed you and put you up for a couple nights.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I had one of the shittiest days at work ever today. This is a good thread. It is what I needed. Great job to everyone involved with this whole thing.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

Nope, there's going to be a thread, but it's not out of expectations of finance. Thing is, yeah. You guys gave me what I needed until now, but you also gave enough for me to go towards something. There's going to be a trailer and supplies and a place to start over when I'm done. But previously, I had my career tying me down, then addiction tying me down, then valentine tying me down. This is the first chance I've had in my adult life,totally free to take me in what ever direction the wind may choose and I'm not going to loving turn that down. I'm riding out the cold weather in Denver, my parents will assist with what they are able to. I even had a few opportunities in Valentine to pursue bad choices I didnt because while I can't promise I'll be perfect, it's on my terms now and I'm choosing to move forward. I want to live again, and I've been given what I need to do so. Now it's up to me to discover what my new life will entail. I'm not going back to wrenching professionally. Let's find out who I really am.

I'm serious with my offer to put you up for a bit if you decide to take a ridiculously long detour through southern Wisconsin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

One of my cats farted something fierce and it made me think of this thread.

• Locked thread