Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jian Yang is the most improved character this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The best Mike Judge creations always manage to be offbeat enough to be hilarious, but also so in-tune with the culture it's mocking that it's disturbingly accurate. I've heard people from Texas call King of the Hill a documentary.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rick and Morty is hit-or-miss. I honestly thought the surprise season premiere was meh because it was a character-driven episode based around Rick, who is an irredeemable rear end in a top hat that always does the right thing to save the day and doesn't get owned like Erlich does. When it focuses on sci-fi tropes and plots, it's much better.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's almost required to have a broken brain to make good art. I'm not sure whether this is still true, but Mike Judge is a friend of Alex Jones and presumably listens to his show. He did record himself doing the voices of Hank Hill, Beavis, and Butthead boosting the show.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Thought Richard's little rant about CS being the exclusive domain of nerdy loner outcasts was a bit...miserable and nasty and Big Bang Theory-esque for this show. Just seemed more mean-spirited than I expected, rather than the show's typical cynicism.
I don't give a poo poo if it's mean-spirited as long as it's funny, which that episode was.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I thought that was a great episode, I laughed a lot during it. But drat, Haley Joel Osment's put on some weight.

maskenfreiheit posted:

It doesn't surprise me Miller is leaving. I won't share too many details, but someone I know saw him get really drunk and make a bunch of (unfunny) comments. Apparently he's insufferable and basically the cast's Chevy Chase, only without the prior track record of good work.
His stated reason was that he's trying to make room for movie offers, but putting 2 and 2 together makes me wonder if he thinks (or has even publicly said to the cast) that he's too good for Silicon Valley or TV in general now. Good luck with The Emoji Movie publicity tour, TJ!

Avasculous posted:

It wouldn't surprise me that this would get him booted. The show is already regularly slammed by Jezebel/Slate/etc. for sexism based on the (realistically) skewed cast
Still? Sheesh. Outrage = clicks = money, I guess.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

TJ Miller was great in Extract.
I saw that in theaters and don't remember much of it, except for JK Simmons and the weird neighbor. It wasn't bad, but the strength of Mike Judge creations is memorable characters, and that movie just didn't have them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Regarding Dinesh and Gilfoyle this episode: I thought the phone thing was funny, but I like them best when they're both riffing on each other. It's gotten more skewed towards Gilfoyle lately, though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hope Silicon Valley goes on for another ten years so that the Slates and Jezebels of the internet continue to impotently gnash their teeth over a funny show.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

No doubt. I just enjoy seeing pasty rear end goons like you get red faced over a stranger's opinion on a TV show
For me, it's not that it's someone's opinion. What I don't like about it is that this exact thrust has been regurgitated multiple times on several different websites. The article itself was written nearly identically to other Silicon Valley outrage essays, tailored to generate site traffic, and intended to make you feel bad for liking a TV show, as if tastes are universal and handed down by the council of high and mighty internet pop culture critics. It's not a Silicon Valley thing, it's a thinkpiece thing, and in spite of the name, there's very little thought put into them.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Did they ever say who Laurie's baby daddy is?
Judging by the banner at her baby shower, somebody named Garcia.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

It's best to ignore outrage from people who you disagree with, especially on dumb topics like a mike judge tv show, otherwise it's a long and angry life
I do my best but sometimes I get sucked in. Thinkpieces are the worst.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sometimes you gotta step back, take a deep breath, and read this article about internet outrage culture to put things into perspective. It's been two and a half years since Drew Magary wrote this and it only gets proven more right with every stupid internet take.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I gotta wonder if the Erlich masculinity subplot was put in by Mike Judge just to gently caress with people, as was speculated with the second season episode where they hire that woman programmer.

The Limp Bizkit/Biscuit references were great, although I wouldn't blame anyone if they think they took it too far. Especially at the end.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

someone on AV Club pointed out that the patent lawyer had a box of Flutie Flakes on his bookshelf--and if you either hate football or aren't from Western New York, all the proceeds from the sale of Flutie Flakes went to benefit kids with autism, as Doug Flutie's kid is autistic.

yes, he's that big of a dick to sue a charity initiative. (also Flutie Flakes were pretty tasty.)
I never had them, but I remember them being promoted pretty heavily during NFL games in that time period. Now I'm wishing they had put in a Reggie Bar cameo as well.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gilfoyle's reaction to the smart fridge encapsulates everything wrong with the tech industry. They're not making anything new or innovative and haven't for years. Their "creative" output is either a repackaged version of an old idea, usually with wifi capability or the ability to sync to a computer or smartphone, or an app that's esoteric crap.

Cojawfee posted:

Haven't we had enough of them being poo poo on?
I'd go as far as to say that this was just desserts for Richard. He went to a bunch of app makers, brought up a disgusting frat house ritual to one of them, saw his plan backfire, and ended up paying $2,000 more than if he just swallowed his pride and settled. I will say that the ending was a bit of a dud, though. The episode itself was OK, I thought.

I also disagree with the view that they should come out on top just so that it can happen. Seeing a flawed character- especially when they're lovely or amoral- getting comeuppance for their actions is a TV comedy trope going back to at least Seinfeld. It's funny to see, say, Erlich injuring his leg because he falls off a garage door while installing a basketball backboard so that he can be more "manly" with Ed Chen and the VC gang.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Characters getting what they deserve is nice, but it gets tedious when that's the plot of every episode. The characters getting torn down carries no weight if that's all that ever happens to them.
To me, it depends on whether or not it's consistently funny. This one wasn't as much.

One thing I will say- I have no idea where this season is gonna end up. With the first two seasons, you knew there was gonna be some grand climax. Last season, you could tell something was going to happen when the Erlich/Bighead plot came back together with the plot involving the rest of the Pied Piper gang. With this season, though, I'm not sure. It doesn't help that we have no idea how well the Internet 2.0 project is going, when previous episodes revolved around technical snags in their projects. Dealing with a patent troll doesn't pack the same punch. The first three seasons were a steady jog to the finish, but this one feels like it's plodding to the end.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gilfoyle is best when he's trading verbal barbs with Dinesh. But there hasn't been a lot of that this season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

C'mon Bieber, get on the Leafs hype train before it gets too full. Your home country depends on it!

This is how I felt about basketball when I started following it in the 1994-95 season, although I loved watching Michael Jordan the most. Then he retired, the 1998 lockout happened, most games over the next few seasons were lucky to have a team score over 100 points, and the Lakers dominated. Also, I learned to be fans of particular teams.

Hopefully, there is a San Jose Sharks appearance before the series wraps up. We've already had the SF Giants on in addition to the Warriors.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

tarlibone posted:

But then again, this season's trailer did promise us that the company would become, essentially, a criminal operation whose only real product is large-scale fraud.
Just like the average Silicon Valley front!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

This season has had some decent jokes but has zero focus narratively.
Seconded. I still don't know what the endgame is gonna be.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That reminds me, there's been a lot of craft beer appearances this season, more so than before (and it's not like it was light on the placement before). The logo for Drake's is plastered everywhere, and North Coast's Old Rasputin was put in the smart fridge, but is there a complete list? I wouldn't put it past an enterprising fan of the show to have already made one.

veni veni veni posted:

Imao people calling Gilfoyle a bad character, maybe it just rings a little to close to home for you because Gilfoyle is good poo poo.
He's the funniest character line-for-line, but the dynamic of him and Dinesh trading barbs make for some of Silicon Valley's greatest moments, and there just isn't much of that this season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Snak posted:

Gilfoyle has been drinking Old Rasputin since the first season. Possibly the first episode.
I don't blame him, it's a good beer.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Man, Richard is really coming into his own as an rear end in a top hat in his own right this season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm OK with this. Desperation turned Jared into Ed Chambers. Let's see what it does to Richard.
I like it too, it adds a new dimension to Richard.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At this point, the only just fate for Richard is Jared beating him to within an inch of his life.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've been defending the cycle for a while because Silicon Valley was consistently funny, but this season just feels off. It's just not as funny, and there aren't many moments that are spot-on about Valley culture. Having things revert to normal at the end works much better in an episodic format than in a serialized one to begin with, but the show was so funny that I could overlook that.

I remember that my criticism about Silicon Valley's third season mirrored what I thought about Broad City's third season- strong start, strong finish, a weaker mid-season because they strayed from the formula. I hope that this doesn't translate to the fourth season of that other show, but I'm not optimistic about anything these days.

anime was right posted:

so uh they live in elrich's house how is he going to pay the taxes on it lol
It's Jian Yang's house now, buddy.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 20, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

priznat posted:

It's funny, I just saw this interview with TJ Miller and he has the same issue with the show as a lot of folks here:

http://www.thewrap.com/silicon-valley-tj-miller-exit-cliffhanger/
If "Chevy Chase on Community"-style horror stories start to come out about TJ Miller on Silicon Valley, it'll be hard to defend somebody whose first big credit after leaving is The Emoji Movie.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Didn't he die in Deadpool? Cause I remember reading he's signed up for Deadpool 2.
I don't think he did.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My problem with this season isn't "they're still the underdog," it's that it's simply not as funny as the ones that came before it. If it were, I couldn't care less where they are on the tech industry totem pole. Something like a mathematical formula created to suck the maximum amount of dicks or two horses loving in the middle of an important business meeting goes a long way to pave over the cracks of a contrived plot.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Since it's clear that they're running out of gas with the current set-up, I hope Richard ends up getting hired by Hooli in an executive position, possibly after Jack Barker gets ousted or is forced to bring him on. He's already on the road to becoming a ruthless corporate monster who will do anything to get his vision done, and the cracks in the Pied Piper gang are already forming.

Medullah posted:

I agree. A few friends told me I HAD to read it since it was the greatest book ever. It was basically "Random 80s reference, random 90s reference, random 80s reference, etc". Had they been subtle, clever references it could have been cool, but it was literally just reference after reference just to have them there.
I hate how "reference as entertainment" is still so prevalent.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That episode was funnier than most this season, and the big 11th hour rear end-saving out of nowhere was actually great, but I hope they actually move forward next season. It's clear that they can't mine any more laughs and decent plot with the same set-up. Say what you will about recent Archer, but at least Adam Reed tries his best to keep that show fresh and dynamic every season. I hope that Mike Judge changes direction next season, since that interview says we've probably got two more. I can't take one more season of the same but less funny.

xbilkis posted:

T.J. Miller accurately diagnoses the show's problem with spinning its tires plot-wise, but also makes it clear that he's definitely unbearable to work with/be around. Filled with shade at Middleditch and outright loathing for Alec Berg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tj-miller-says-leaving-silicon-valley-was-like-a-breakup-1016573
"I didn't talk to Alec because I don't like Alec." Brutal. TJ is very self-aware about the show, and he's pretty sincere about his future goals and how much of the stuff from here on out is going to suck compared to Silicon Valley, but he's almost certainly whitewashing his relationship with HBO executives. I can't wait to hear the juicy responses to that interview.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 26, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jesus TJ, tell us how you really feel about leaving the show.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Just since TJ is throwing so much shade his way, I looked up what exactly Alec Berg has written.

He wrote 5 episodes of Silicon Valley:

The Condor episode and the Tip-To-Tip Efficiency episode are two of my favs, and now that I come to think of it both gags had nothing to do with Erlich, so maybe that's why TJ doesn't like him

EDIT: "Bad Money" was the episode that introduced Russ Hanneman - Alec Berg is cool as gently caress
The Hollywood Insider interview noted that Alec Berg was the showrunner for the first two seasons of Silicon Valley. I'm not sure who's responsible for this season's decline and diminishing returns and laughs, but it probably isn't him.

John F Bennett posted:

You dumb nerds are really sensitive about your shows.

Season was good. Jokes were funny.
I thought it wasn't as good or funny as the ones before it, but I'm tired of seeing "mean-spirited" as a knock against a comedy show. I tend to filter that accusation into "I didn't find it funny" and it ends up being a one-to-one match most of the time. Erlich is mean-spirited much of the time, but at his peak, he was the funniest character on Silicon Valley.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 28, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was listening to a recent episode of Puck Soup (a hockey podcast from Nerdist that's better than it has any right to be) and one of the cohosts compared this season of Silicon Valley to Entourage. He said it's just not as fun to watch when it does the nerd equivalent of one of the Entourage boys doing something like "selling the tequila distillery" to resolve a plot problem. He also completely understood why Erlich was being written out when one of the recent plot points was "Erlich has nothing to do."

Avasculous posted:

In other words, people don't mind Richard becoming (more of) an rear end in a top hat, they mind that the show doesn't seem to mind.
That whole transformation has really only come into full force over the last half of this season. I will say that the last-minute saves in the last two episodes were stupid, partially because Richard was absolved for being an unabashed piece of poo poo (also because it's been done enough times to have lost its emotional punch). If that keeps up over an entire season, then it'll be very hard for me to watch, even if improves when it comes to being funny.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs a bit here, but I think "rear end in a top hat character doesn't get their comeuppance" is a different problem than "being mean-spirited." There's some overlap, but it also has to do with showrunners and writers not knowing how unlikable protagonists typically work in comedy shows.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

He also doesn't think kids deserve to laugh as much as adults.

https://twitter.com/PunishedHag/status/888222306119467012

They updated that article by inserting TJ's response to it, but I don't believe him. He's intensely high off his own ego.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There's nothing wrong with absurdist humor, but I don't find what TJ Miller is doing to be funny at all. He's just saying stupid crap and expecting (as well as getting getting) reactions.

• Locked thread