Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Wheres Jian Yang!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Excellent use of RIGBY. Richard is definitely the weak link of the group, but he's also the glue holding together the rest of Pied Piper together. That's valuable in and of itself.

Still around as a regular cast member. Unless you want a character description, in which case I could do that. He hasn't contributed as much as the other characters, though.

Sorry I meant for the first episode not your OP. He always makes me burst out laughing with any scene he is in.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I'm just waiting for her and Richard to gently caress.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Where is, the coder chick?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mortanis posted:

There's a quick line toward the end of S2 that they had to let all the newly hired coders go while juggling the financial stuff. Even though she was the only named one (and I think the other gaggle of programmers was shown exactly once), she was on the chopping block.

RIP I liked her. She was like a girl version of Gilfoyle.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If bighead is a real thing how do I become him? I want what he has.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Jin yang is the god drat best.

"Who are you loving yelling at?! We are the only ones here you idiot!"

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Good article
http://www.businessinsider.com/hbo-silicon-valley-enterprise-2016-5?r=UK&IR=T

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Phenotype posted:

This is what I've been saying since S1 - imagining a bank of cloud servers and clients have to upload data to get it compressed... That's just such a waste of the product. As you mentioned, ISPs would love cutting their data traffic in half, but with the speed of their decompression, they could push PP-based files as the replacement for .mp4 video, .mp3 audio, etc. They should be making deals to create new file standards and create PP-based media players to handle them.

Didn't they try to do something with a media player? But then it diverted into Gilfoyle and Dinesh making a scrum board of the pro's and cons of the stunt dude dying and Dinesh being able to gently caress his GF.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I've been to a data center before but are there ones as big as in the show? Or was that more then likely a majority of CGI?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is there any truth to what happened to Gilfoyle when he was being recruited because it sounds awesome as gently caress(all the gift baskets and free poo poo)?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MrMojok posted:

Too much conspiracy theory argumentation, not enough Jian Yang

not empty quote

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Or maybe their plan was just to get fired from the company while making it look like they weren't intentionally trying to get fired?

I mean that would make sense. They come up with an actual plan to make a skunkworks within the company, one that has to be believable as something you could pull off using the company's resources, and then conveniently let it fall into Jack's hands so that he fires them and then they just work on their platform on their own.

The preview contradicts this.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I thought they might have done it on purpose. But the route they went instead was way better. Jared was on point again in this episode. And lmao at his airbnb renters doing their own airbnb in his house.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

saffronskies posted:

I acquit was retarded but at least the scene could have made sense if it had been true. Michael is pissed the new boss cancelled his anniversary party (among many other things) so he goes to David Wallace about it. Wallace offers to throw him a new party and Michael, angry that he's being placated instead of actually listened to, stands up, shakes Wallace's hand and says "I quit." Cut to credits. Had he said "I acquit" the scene still could have worked in spite of it being terrible writing.

This is why, in my mind, Mike's voice was 100x worse as fan theories go. When Gus threatens to kill Walt he responds with "if you could kill me I'd already be dead" and the ADR on "if you could kill me" sounded vaguely like Mike and some people ran buck wild with BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN??? Never mind that at that point in the series Mike was in a hospital in another country.

Anyway thanks for the explanations re: Monica's board seat! I remember them negotiating with Hanneman but I had forgotten the details.

Acquit doesn't even make sense. Why was that even a theory.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

The best part, the best part, was that several goons rewound and reached it, people put it on youtube, and even screen capped the subtitles, and there were still people that didn't give up the ghost. Though my favorite office bullshit was whether the cheese balls were CG'd or not. It wasn't a huge derail/debate, but the shear anger of the people claiming it had to be CG was, no pun intended, delicious. Also the salt on cars. And if it was a bike chain or bungee cord. And if Angela lying about the parentage of her kid was funny or not. And Team Karen/Pam....I miss the old Office threads.

So I should be glad I wasn't really into SA when office was a thing. However it is my favorite show ever and I'm on my 6th re-watch.

VagueRant posted:

This ep just reminded me how much I think the show is stronger when we see the cast succeed rather than fail. I got legit swept up in their excitement at the part where they got actually invested in The Box, and the revelation that Gavin Belson had put a price on The Platform.

Like you have to see them struggle, sure, episode-by-episode. The little failures make the comedy. But seeing them overcome and take steps forward is honestly the most satisfying element of the show, far moreso than when they get stuck spinning their wheels for supposedly comic effect. (Though the end of last week was funny enough to work - and I was a little sad the conspiracy theories didn't pan out because people got so hilariously angry about it.)

edit: I've always loved the sitcom episodes where there's a "project" of sorts (like when Frasier and Niles started a restaurant) and this show has always been doing a longform version of that. Never been good at putting this into words, but I bet there's a TV Tropes page for it out there somewhere.
I thought that was just because they were super happy to realise they'd won.

Same. I did an out loud "oh poo poo gently caress YES!" When Monica started doing her spiel of voting in Richards favor.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I hope that actor gets paid bank to play such a minor/major roll.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Medullah posted:

Yes, and I hope it keeps going that way. He's such a genuinely likeable guy and his dumb luck is constantly hilarious. Erlich could bankrupt him with his scheming and he'd be like "Oh, that stinks. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted." and walk away to get a slurpee only to have the next big tech company see him walking and beg him to come head up their R&D division.

Gavin would see him bankrupting his incubator as some sort of power move and re-hire bighead back,

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So Richard 'co-stars' as a cashier in a new Tina Fey AMEX commercial and somehow manages to be annoying there, too - without even being the main focus.

He was a pretty normal dude on Dwights farm episode in the last season of the office. He played dwights brother who had a pot farm.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
He missed "The christening of the Titanic."

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is that tab vs space thing as bad as vi vs Vim vs nano?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

Gilfoyle feels like he hasn't had a subplot in years

His plot is to piss on everyone.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Good to see Mark Cuban embracing his inner russ hanneman.

And I just realized the actor who plays him is the same one who was the sound guy on the last season of the office. WOW.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 1, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

Chris Diamantopoulos was also pretty great as a mentally unstable tv executive in the last 2 seasons of Episodes.

So it sounds like the character he played on the office isn't really the types of dudes he normally plays?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

That was great. Definitely going to give this show a watch.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
No Jin Yang the past two episodes. WHAT IN THE gently caress!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

mrmcd posted:

Yeah that confused me too. They seem to be pretty clearly setting up the next episode's plot driver to be that the UX is terrible for anyone who isn't an engineer. Yet Monica apparently doesn't know what UX is and says it's fine?

Also the screenshot is from a Windows computer for some reason?? Hasn't everything they've been using on the show so far been a MacBooks or Linux?

Macbooks just look nice from the back.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Krowley posted:

Nah, hooli took over piperchat, which just licensed the algorithm from Richard's pied piper

Can Richard add huge license fees after the fact?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

I loving lost it during that octopus scene. God, the way Erlich just shakes his head, stares off into the distance, and lets out a quiet "no."

i was waiting for him to go "mother gently caress!".

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
More Jin Yang please. The pitch scene was amazing.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

anyone have a transcript of Juan Yang and Ed's exchange in mandarin?

From reddit

quote:

Here's as I understood it:

Ed: Jian Yang, this is really important. You need to give us a functional app.

Jian Yang: There isn't one. We haven't even made a demo.

Ed: You haven't made one? Why?

Erlich: Boys, boys, let's speak in English. It's the law.

Jian: I wanted to do octopus recipes.

Ed: Octopus recipes?

Jian: All I hear is "I'm a big fat loving rear end in a top hat."

https://www.reddit.com/user/Epichorsey1337

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I'll talk them into suicide!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

If anyone else was wondering where they've seen Bryce before, he was the brother in the revolution TV show and aka the "can I get a hit tub" Guy from the insurance commercials.

Also is/was on that FBI tv show on CBS or ABC where they follow FBI agents from training and one of them commits a terrorist act.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You guys just need to ignore all the false outrage that plagues the internet these days.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

tarlibone posted:

How about we replace TJ with Jason Mantzoukas?

Hell, have some fun with it. Just have Mantzoukas come out playing Erlich, and doing it in his own style. Never explain the change. Go straight-up soap opera on it!

Except Jason Mantzoukas is Russ Hanneman. At least the characters he typically plays in tv shows like the league and parks and rec.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

kiimo posted:

I went to a bar in Hollywood when it was 38 outside and they brought out this giant copper drum full of hot spiced cider with booze in it and everyone who had braved the cold to venture out to this bar was treated to free cider all night which is definitely illegal but that's okay because what cop would go out on a day like that?

I finally knew how it felt to live in Alaska.

To be fair, 38 when it's normally 70-85 is pretty cold. 70 or below where I live and I'm wearing a hoodie. Can't wait for it to be 117 next Monday!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bull3964 posted:

38 is still short sleeves and light jacket weather.

If you live on the east coast sure.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
the ending of this episode reminded me of the movie antitrust

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Avasculous posted:

Same poo poo over and over is certainly fair, but I don't get the "less skewering tech culture, more boring sitcom thing."

Just in the last few episodes, we had:
-A billionaire seizing on obscure medical research to inject himself with the blood of a fit Aryan teen

-Barker marveling at Belson, "the greatest showman the tech world has ever seen" vaguely droning through boring technical details in a powerpoint presentation (without stammering or flop-sweating, I guess?)

-Startup CEO riding entirely on a vortex of charisma that's attracted millions in funding over a beautiful demo for an untenable technology, which anyone would realize if they bothered examining it.

Meanwhile, as far as sitcom tropes go, I'm still delighted that the show has shown no interest in giving any of the main characters dating lives, let alone jamming in as many adorable Jim/Pam pairings as possible like every other sitcom I've bothered to check out in the past several years.

I thought they were gonna do it with Monica and Richard but nothing ever came of it. I at least got that vibe in the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
ed chambers can't be contained and i don't want to see Jared starve. So please don't.

• Locked thread