Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That was great.

Erlich fighting the robot deer. Dear lord.

Although my favorite part was probably Richard's visit to his imprisoned lawyer. I almost pissed myself at his lawyer's stoic advice:

"Richard let me tell you something I learned here on the inside: swallow your pride. Or you'll eating something way worse than poo poo. Believe me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Walking Dead heard those criticisms and actually added black people that weren't named things like "T-Dog" around season 3. SV so far hasn't seemed to address that.

TWD also has the issue of being completely dogshit terrible, so I'm willing to give SV some slack on this matter.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Haha, http://www.piedpiper.com has been updated for the Box and now includes the sales team profiles and a new blog post from Action Jack.

I like Erlich's lonely, smaller profile image at the bottom hahaha

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

"Now if you'll excuse me, I paid $150,000 for the semen that's about to come out of that stallion and I would very much like to see that it happens."

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The compression algorithm runs on both fictional clients and fictional servers in a fictional way

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I just love the way Stephen Tobolowsky says "What?! No! God no!!" to Richard

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The trick theory is a little silly, but it isn't as nuts as poo poo like "I acquit", "Mike's Voice", or any LOST stuff. No way. It's much more plausible than any of that garbage.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

panda clue posted:

lol, I kept thinking of the 'Mike's Voice' reference but I couldn't put my finger on what it was from. End of some breaking bad episode, right?

Yes, it was just some noticeable ADR that made Bryan Cranston's voice seem a little more gravelly than other shots in the scene. Someone thought it was Jonathan Banks (Mike) doing the dub for some insane reason

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Too much conspiracy theory argumentation, not enough Jian Yang

Mother gently caress!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

saffronskies posted:

I acquit was retarded but at least the scene could have made sense if it had been true. Michael is pissed the new boss cancelled his anniversary party (among many other things) so he goes to David Wallace about it. Wallace offers to throw him a new party and Michael, angry that he's being placated instead of actually listened to, stands up, shakes Wallace's hand and says "I quit." Cut to credits. Had he said "I acquit" the scene still could have worked in spite of it being terrible writing.

lmfao it's still going.. unbelievable

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DrunkPanda posted:

Can't blame him, either. Who wants to drive a car with doors that open like this, when they can drive a car with doors that open like THIS?

One thing I don't like is how Hooli is supposedly the fictional equivalent to Google, yet Hooli is run by idiots that make horrible mistake after horrible mistake. Does Mike Judge have something against Google or something? Because that's kind of the exact opposite of the way Google does things

Google's hosed up multiple things before, just like every tech company has.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm watching the original Cloverfield movie and it's trippy hearing T.J. Miller as the camera guy. He also looks kinda goofy when you see him early on:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

THERE ARE FOUR SPACES

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mrmcd posted:

Also the screenshot is from a Windows computer for some reason?? Hasn't everything they've been using on the show so far been a MacBooks or Linux?

Holy poo poo, you've poked a hole in the entire series. Well done, eagle-eyed viewer. drat. Owned.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Avasculous posted:

This is a huge frustration for me in Biotech. There's a host of powerful, open-source tools that do everything imaginable with sequencing data if you can spend 20 minutes picking up basic Unix commands.

lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Avasculous posted:

When I say "basic" I mean literally "move to folder where the program is, run program."

Thiss is Too Hard for most normies. The command line itself is just too large of a barrier.

Enough time has gone by that typing a command in to tell a computer to" change directory" is completely alien to most people. No one is used to "commanding" operations from a computer (unless it's something like Siri or voice commanded).

Because why would I do that when I can see the directory as a folder right in front of my eyes, ready to be clicked, touched, whatever?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Nemo posted:

lol, you are so far down the rabbit hole that you think moving a folder involves a command line.

no, that's much easier with an icon and mouse, what are you talking about??

I said using a command line to "change directory" (aka one of the "easy" basic unix commands the guy i quoted was talking about) is a completely alien concept to people and is contrary to everything they know about modern computers.

the fact that you think "change directory" means moving a folder just further backs this up.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 9, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Nemo posted:

Yes, exactly a select file option or a drop file here option.

No need to change the directory from where PP is working or something like that, if that's even what the other guy was talking about.

But still, no need to even start talking about Unix, any UX that needs you to write a command would be a failure with 95% of the gen pop.

Exactly what I was saying. i don't know how i got lumped into beign the guy suggesting unix commands because thats not what i was saying

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 9, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Veskit posted:

There goes IT again acting like they know what they're talking about.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/01/slack-raises-200-million-at-3-8-billion-valuation/

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-canceled-8-billion-slack-bid-due-to-bill-gates-and-satya-nadella-pushback-2016-3

If you follow business at all then you've heard about Slack just via how much money they've been worth lately. IT WAS A BUSINESS JOKE NOT AN IT JOKE YOU loving NERD

are you okay?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Very good

quote:

Dotan led me to Raviga’s boardroom. He tried two fake outlets before finding a real one, then plugged in his laptop, opened it on a blond-wood conference table, and launched a PowerPoint presentation he had prepared about the show’s research process. “The first part of the job is making sure we get the specifics right, because our audience won’t tolerate any mistakes,” he said. “Silicon Valley,” a show about computer nerds, has a fan base that is particularly attuned to minutiae, and particularly apt to argue about them on the Internet. If a Post-it, URL, or line of code is legible on the show, it will be screengrabbed and scrutinized. Last year, a few hours after an episode aired, a Reddit user with the handle HeIsMyPossum started a thread called “Why did the writers just obliterate all the good karma they had built up with their core audience?” He made an impassioned argument that a plot point—the accidental deletion of data from Pied Piper’s servers—was implausible. “So the files were being converted live while coming through an FTP? And that affects disk deletion speed?… Come the gently caress on guys.” Rob Fuller, a software engineer and a consultant on the show, logged on to Reddit to defend his work, mostly by displaying his own nerd plumage. “Stuff like this happens,” he wrote. “I think even Amazon had an outage because one of the admins fat fingered a DNS or ACL change at one point.” Another user responded to Fuller: “Thanks for engaging us here, we really appreciate it.” The thread amassed nearly three hundred comments. “Sorry for being a dick,” HeIsMyPossum wrote.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kiimo posted:

I'd like to mention that I had never heard of Slack and still got the joke. Thanks to this thread I've downloaded it.

I'd also like to mention the technical arguments in this thread are far superior to many other threads so don't get down on yourselves. Arguing about coding and startups is highly preferable to arguing about duel wielding anime swords in the Game of Thrones thread.

At least the arguments in this thread have a practical application. I never need to know how to duel wield swords or the proper phalanx to storm a castle. Stop calling yourselves nerds when LARPers are running around.

Yeah this is my thinking as well. I think it's reasonable to talk tech in a tech show's forum. But whatever, sorry you all had to bear learning some new terms and poo poo!! We should talk Swords instead..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

So happy to see Russ... Lmao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Given that it's been noted Gilfoyle uses a PC while everyone else uses Macs, and green is kind of a Razer staple, I'd assume it's a Razer keyboard.
drat, you've got that Silicon Valley condescending nerd tone perfected lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I dislike Erlich for him bankrupting Bighead, it was such a dick move it immediately turned my perception of Erlich from a big talking guy who is still a bro to this massive douche who'll ruin his friend's future just so he could momentarily feel like a big shot.

Didn't we just learn that it was actually the business manager who bankrupted Bighead?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

Seriously, how do you guys ever leave the house if sneezing on someone could potentially cost you half a million?

It's easy to leave the house when your country isn't a destitute European shithole that always smells like urine

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nexus6 posted:

But you're at risk of being shot literally anywhere you go?

Still better than being at risk for rape-by-migrants when you go out. We could do this all day.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Alright people, let's all calm down here. Let's just all agree that European citizens wish they were US citizens and all US citizens wish we had European legislation and judicial systems.

That's really what I was getting at. I didn't want it to come to migrant rape, but as a US citizen, it's only natural for me to puff up my chest and start yelling inappropriate comparisons when some Eurotrash starts :smug:ing out about how much better stuff is :smug: :smug:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

Switzerland's doing pretty okay money-wise, it's like our thing. :)

Wow, a country slightly larger than the city of Dallas manages to pay its bills. Amazing.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ahahahhahahhaha

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hand Row posted:

I like Bighead because a head honcho at Google X got in a huff about all the zany stuff like the potato gun in a meeting with the writers. The guy then tried to storm off but struggled because he was wearing rollerblades.

The writers decided it was too ridiculous to use in the show.

Oh, word?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone read the New Yorker article about the Google X guy with the rollerblades?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

It was great. You should really read it. I think someone posted it a few pages back.

Found it:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley?mbid=social_twitter

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

priznat posted:

I read somewhere that hooli xyz is based on google x where people ride roller blades anyone have a link to that???

Found it:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sounds like something they should have used on the show.

I heard they didn't because it sounded to hacky/unrealistic. I'll dig up the link if I can find it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Found it:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

That explains Erlich's, but not how she managed to buy Russ' with out a board meeting. She wasn't even on the board at the time.

I'm feeling pretty "board" about this discussion

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah that's not unusual at all. I worked for a startup that was back by basically a German VC; my company acquired another company (part of what we were founded to do), and less than 10 months after my company started, the VC decided they weren't thrilled with the ROI and shut down both companies. It's really lovely but when you have that much money, a couple million is a drop in the bucket.

Another startup burned by Radio On the Internet..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Looks good!

Pope Guilty posted:

Well that's some good news! Wish it wasn't two months out.

Two months isn't really that long..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

apropos man posted:

What time is the Season 4 premier in terms of USA time? I'm in UK and wondering when the first torrents will appear.

Really enjoyed all three seasons so far. I thought I wasn't enjoying season 1 too much until about 3 episodes in but since then it's been consistently one of the best comedies of recent years.

Is there even a thread for season 4 yet?

Episode should be over at 12:30am EST, so in the UK stuff should start "appearing on iTunes" around... 6:30am, Monday your time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pharmaskittle posted:

They definitely took his immediate work visa acceptance to an unrealistic extreme, but I can't imagine it'd be very difficult for a technically skilled Canadian who already has employment in the US to get approved. So it made sense in the context of being a tv show. I agree that I want to see Dinesh really smash Gilfoyle one time though, and I'm sure it'll eventually happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1YSEDtyGKU

This also serves as the best Gilfoyle/Dinesh exchange in the whole series

• Locked thread