Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Raise your hand if you insurance scammed a dread today to cash in on that sweet sweet insurance money before the value drops by 2/3rds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Kimsemus posted:

So who else bought dozens of carriers and triage modules to convert into FAX machines tomorrow because the FAXes are 300m more in build cost alone?

I initially stripped the triage module off, but put it back on today for that reason!

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

jm20 posted:

Sorry for the questions I need to elitepvp my head around some things from 2011.

Can lokis still be fit to be unprobable? Has probing gotten better/easier than the drop 6 press probe?

Ganglinks still are system wide and not grid?

What is the fighter change to supercarriers I've read about?

Doomsdays are still version 2 and not version 1?

Are falcons still great?

Why are rockets a thing? Do I need to EFT everything all over again from 2011?

Inties are immune to bubbles? so they warp through them and can't be dragged to a mobile or inline?

Why is isboxer banned?

https://www.themittani.com/features/eve-online-2016-welcome-back I and others wrote this to address some of these.

But answers: Sorta, yes. System wide. complicated, see dev blog. multiple styles of dooms days. Falcons are fine but nerfed. Yes, EFT over. Inties that warp under 2s are uncatchable other than smart bombs. isboxer lead to botting.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Zephyrine posted:

Kismeteer how is the corp search going?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773367

At least, until we burn out. Delve is for goons, Anime is cartoons.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

vyst posted:

I'll never understand why people nobody gives a poo poo about do AMAs.

Because not everyone has an SA account. And people get a ton of questions about 'hey bro, why did you leave' and 'what happened here?'

And to that person, it's a 'big deal' because they're getting bombarded by people asking what's up. Easier to just link a thread, tell bads to read, and post more.

We used to do this on Kugu, talk about why we left or did something big. But RIP kugu. If we had a real alternative to reddit that isn't the shitlers on Scrapheap, then reddit wouldn't be the focus. And TMC is too biased to fill that role.

e: BTW, saw you left too, that is pretty big news too.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Hubbl3 posted:

Why are people leaving GSF because whatever always making stupid posts on reddit?

GoNINzo posted:

Because not everyone has an SA account. And people get a ton of questions about 'hey bro, why did you leave' and 'what happened here?'

And to that person, it's a 'big deal' because they're getting bombarded by people asking what's up. Easier to just link a thread, tell bads to read, and post more.

We used to do this on Kugu, talk about why we left or did something big. But RIP kugu. If we had a real alternative to reddit that isn't the shitlers on Scrapheap, then reddit wouldn't be the focus. And TMC is too biased to fill that role.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

evilweasel posted:

kismeteer your post wasn't worth posting once, let alone reposting because an entire page had passed

Not my fault people don't read.

Do you know a forum that is worth posting/reading on beyond this one about eve?

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Bloodspike posted:

I had actually stepped back from GSOL at about the same time I decided to leave. At one point, just for kicks, I did a tally of how much I could steal while in GSOL and I think it was ballpark 200b. While not crippling by any means, it would have been a bit of a dent. I was quoted 2T in assets evacced from Dek.
I don't think I could have been stopped too soon either, especially during said evac.

Pretty much the reason I did it when I was obviously on my way out.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Here is how my last log with nymblar went after I logged, realizing that I'm most likely purged for renaming the station:

quote:

Conversation with nymblar@goonfleet.com at 4/13/2016 10:03:37 PM on Kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home (jabber)
(10:03:43 PM) kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home: BTW, let me tell you how mad I was.
(10:03:50 PM) kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home: http://evepraisal.com/e/10215877

(10:04:18 PM) kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home: anyway, logging off before I do anything stupid
(10:04:26 PM) kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home: don't need alex doxxing me
(10:05:03 PM) Nymblar: what is this, anin?
(10:05:08 PM) Nymblar: why would alex doxx you?
(10:05:09 PM) kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home: multiple hubs
(10:05:17 PM) Nymblar: so what's this evepraisal for?
(10:05:23 PM) kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home: it's what I could have taken but didn't
(10:05:41 PM) kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home: and i'm pretty sure he would have if I did
(10:05:45 PM) Nymblar: does alex even know tib kicked you?
(10:05:50 PM) kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home: nah
(10:05:53 PM) Nymblar: yeah i don't know why you would do that
(10:05:57 PM) kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home: but i do'nt know what he's doing now
(10:06:28 PM) kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home: anyway, I'm logged, not doing poo poo. but that's how mad I was
(10:06:28 PM) Nymblar: laundry and going out apparently
(10:06:48 PM) kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home: i think someone else is going to do something stupid
(10:08:20 PM) Nymblar: who is someone else and what is something stupid
(10:08:27 PM) kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home: i dunno
(10:08:31 PM) kismeteer@goonfleet.com/home: just heard someone else bitching about it
(10:09:54 PM) Nymblar: i'm not sure what happened?

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

someone tell kismeteer there's no upvoting here, his milquetoast cries for attention dont mean poo poo

You should post more off topic pictures of dogs and cats, much better than eve talk in an eve thread.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Ad by Khad posted:

It's been a lot of years since I was in GSF, but two names stick out to me as being the friendliest teachers around. Kismeteer and Anela Cistine. So I'm actually kind of uncomfortable watching the bitterness in this thread :(

Thanks for teaching me how to heal and also how to not die, dude.

Always help newbies, man. I always enjoyed that. I was sad to see Anela Cistine go too. Glad I made a positive impact on your space life.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Hey, boat is posting. Let him post more.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Counterpoint: boat shouldn't post ever

Never stop boating.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

VideoGames posted:

I'm a bit lost by who and what today.

If you want to talk some Eve Online, I would happily tutor you in game. Hit up Kismeteer. No joke. I miss not being able to help out newbies.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Syndic Thrass posted:

I always kinda didn't like angelique douchecanoe and didn't use her service because I mostly did and do my own logistics and I just hit up char when I'm being lazy. I'm glad I never used ITL too because holy poo poo you're loving awful please stop posting

Glad you used that period because you might have run out of breath there.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Setting up a new corp in Eve Online, a Kismeteer primer:

First of all, congrats on your new corporation. RIP your social life if it gets popular.

Secondly, make sure you OWN the corp forever. Immediately give yourself the shares or make new ones, max amount is good. you also want to decide a couple key things, like what to put in your corp description. Small corps tend to do a public channel to help talk to people in a group to an individual or anyone looking for details on you. I also recommend making a clear person in charge of external contacts so it isn't just always the CEO, as some CEOs are famous for not logging in.

Third, decide where you're going to live and what you're going to do. What you do is easy. Picking your system is a hard process. For those doing mining, reprocessing and having plentiful things to mine is a good thing. Lots of belts with low mining population is good. Having a station with reprocessing is good. Having a good undock on that station is good. Having a free moon without having to do a war dec to kill an offline pos is good. These are all things that are hard to plan initially, but once you have your place, it's all good. Good news is that if it all goes pear shaped, pubbie hauling is cheap and plentiful, though not always reliable.

Fourth, if you want to give people access through titles. You want to setup titles that are tied to roles, not just give roles themselves. You can remove a role from a title with two button clicks, removing all roles from individuals is time consuming In particular, you generally will set different tier of roles for different people. For a base miner, they might need visibility into a certain hanger. This can be added by giving them 'view'. Realize that once you give someone roles, they cannot be removed from the group for 24 hours, minimum. So don't be completely cavalier about it.

Once you have that person mining for the corp for awhile, you can also give them rights to 'access' a can. You should make this a separate title. Using titles means that you can easily see that person's rights by just being logged in. You can also give them individual titles like Config Equipment, allowing them to drop bubbles for the corp, or more complete access like Config Starbase Equipment, which gives them complete POS control, or Station Manager, which allows them to rent and control offices or outposts.

When you REALLY REALLY trust someone, you can give them Full Director. Directors can do everything that a CEO can. Including stealing the corp if you don't secure the shares. A director are also the only one that give titles to other people.

Finally, you want to setup the hangers to accommodate your lifestyle. You want a hanger for just the CEO and full directors, goons use one called Taxes. You want one for newbie ships if you're going to do that, Goons used Mentors. And then you want one for your general 'purpose', maybe Mining.

In those hangers, you want, whenever possible, to use containers to track who is moving what, where. I prefer Station Warehouses, they cost 2 mil isk and hold 100 mil m^3 , but you can also use a Station Container which costs 20k to hold 1 mil m^3, or Station Vault Container which costs 200k to hold 10 mil m^3. You will fill the second two, but filling the first one takes a bit of doing. These you can set Passwords on if you want, and that way, people can only drop stuff into these containers if they don't know the password. If they do know it, then they can pull stuff out. You can also configure the containers to lock when things are dropped in. And you have an audit log to see what they added and removed. If you put ships in any of these, they cannot be put into containers UNLESS they are repackaged.

Anyway, the 101 'how to setup your mining corp' that I did for VG because I like helping people.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

evilweasel posted:

My view on Endie is exceedingly negative and has been well before he left and has very little to do with the fact he's gone. I generally try to keep it out of the thread, but I have very little positive to say about him and I'm very glad he's gone. I do realize that it's not a good look for us and that people aren't going to share my view. My view of that however is it's more the result of earlier mistakes than a current symptom, but I'll try to keep my personal disdain for him out of the thread. There's other people who have left that I'm sad are gone, but that is part of the game and most people on the other side don't particularly bother me. Vily, for example, has been FCing a lot against us and I don't really have anything bad to say about him. I don't even know who most of the people on the other side are who aren't ex-goons, really, besides a few of the PL guys. There are, of course, the terrible, terrible posters on the other side but aside from Gen EVE and DHD most of the leaders aren't atrocious posters.

I think a good chunk of your analysis is correct. The fact we're in this situation means that we've hosed many things up, and need to figure out not only what we hosed up but how to fix it. There are some things though that muddle it a bit and it's easy to miss what the fuckup was. One big thing is, to a certain degree, our power was always an illusion: if the rest of eve teamed up on us there wasn't much we could do about it for most of the time we've been around. What went wrong is that divide and conquer stopped working and we exposed enough weakness for people to finally be willing to coordinate enough to take us down. That's how Fountain worked: we had trouble beating PL/NC/TEST all at once, but once we made working with test miserable we could split up the group and then beat just TEST.

One big gently caress-up is mine: we realized when Somer went down how much isk those gambling sites were pulling in, but didn't do a good enough job getting ours up and running and then let it sort of collapse, while not cozing up to the one that took Somer's place. That was a major strategic error and is mostly on my head. It's dumb as hell that gambling sites are so strategically powerful, but that's the game we're in and I should have done a better job securing it. We had enough money (and still do, fortunately) - but we, like, have to budget and can't go "sure, have 300b to inconvenience our enemies for a week". Not realizing the key differences between reddit and regular forums, and not realizing that not getting enough of a reddit presence early on would make getting our message out there impossible if we didn't have a friendly mod, was another major one. We know how to push our message through a lot of places, but now that it's moved to Reddit that's become a problem because Reddit, by design, has a strong tendency to echo chamber and the echo isn't ours. You can't really push an unpopular message through force of will and posting like you can in a forum: it self-moderates it out.

There are a lot of "ivory tower" style fuckups as well, and people are right to point those out and that's something that is a focus, needs to stay a focus, and if you think it's happening, feel free to poke me about it.

There is some really good realtalk in here, it is good to know that someone is able to recognize the problems and hopefully comes up with solutions.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Vyst and I were never close or anything, but I wish you luck man. All that exercise will help keep you strong through this.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Based on the number of ships that showed up, I think they used more in fuel and ammo.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

LuiCypher posted:

And if you read a single post by Dalael, you'd realize that GSF's cup runneth over in content. They're not ship spinning waiting for the bad people to go away - they're going out there and killing them.

GSF has a lot of space to recover, so it should take them a bit of time to take it back. Especially when some of the renters moving in are moving up some ADMs every day. I'd be surprised if the vcbees program doesn't return.

And no, there wasn't an alarm to evac stuff from Dek. But I sure did help a lot of people get their stuff out. 'Your super should be safe in ya0' a few weeks before we lost it, as I saw one person say.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Goonswarm still has sov.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Happy Dolphin posted:

I kinda expected just a tiny bit more mutual respect from the people I had spent 2 years in a jabber channel with, talking to almost daily.

:munch: Sorry to see you go, let me know when you burn out a bit more.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Syndic, I'll see you when Am0k passes the spy test into PL.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

VideoGames posted:

Kismesus is another currently active player. I think in SNIGG. He gave me a ton of advice in game which was seriously awesome.

Just be careful you don't confuse Kismesus and Kismeteer, two different dudes. Cause Kismeteer is one who gave you a ton of advice in game. :v: (Currently in Bat Country, part of PL)

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

evilweasel posted:

on the other hand being the maintainer of the excel sheet that is dark magic to everyone else, as someone noted, is fantastic job security, most lawyer spreadsheets involve people typing in the numbers, then pulling out a calculator to add those numbers up and type the total in the 'total' box :cripes:

We have other GSOL people who have gotten legit raises off their spreadsheet prowess, because we forced them to use them, pre-RC.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Bilirubin posted:

Kismeteer also had the amazing Top Goon sig that made me laugh every time I saw it. Owning a border collie myself.

Sorry your joke went poof so badly there.

Yeah, that was an awesome sig, I did not save a copy though, unfortunately. That was days of Konno when Top Goon was fun to fly with.

Also, Kimsemus did what, a couple months in goonwaffe? I did just over 6 years. So yeah, totally the same guy.

Besides, I thought I was MostlyHarmlesss.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

LegionAreI posted:

Looks like they're getting back into Archage too, given the pings and crap I keep getting. Wonder if BFM will pop up again. I'm definitely not installing that piece of poo poo again to find out!

TMC is getting paid to promote Archage now? How the world changes.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
What I find particularly weird is that so many of these posts tend to blame Sion for the TMC direction of Goonswarm, the concentration of power into CD to make decisions about the coalition, or deciding to eject BOS and keep hole violence based on the personalities involved.

I don't think Sion is anywhere nears as an important factor in these decisions. In the first instance, these were the policies put forward by The Mittani and the people who finance TMC, such as Steve and two other board members. They joke about TMC masters, but they are a real thing. And the income of goonswarm directly finances content generation such as article and streamers, like I think it was 250 mil an article, which is like $3-4 direct plex trade in. So anything that threatens the income of Goonswarm directly threatens TMC, plus they need the captive audience to sell the eyeballs, such as the Planetside, World of Warships, and DayZ deals that provided TMC with capital.

The second instance, it is people not wanting to do the work, so you give it to someone in the group that does want to do the work. Most of Illum is based on the idea of busting your rear end to get into Illum, and then coasting till you are booted. Talking with a very old school goon yesterday and we were going over who was till in Illum, and there were not a lot of old school people who hadn't been purged. I think Endie's accounting of how ownership of CD got traded repeated sounds accurate, as that is how Illum works. I think that Sion would do what he was asked to do, as long as he had the time and inclination. Now that he's running operations of TMC, I think that TMC's interests and CD's interests more closely relate.

And the booting of BOS and keeping Hole Squad is a direct reflection of the things that each provided. BOS, and indirectly SV, did their own thing, it was a cult of personality to suas. Which doesn't really help the cult of personality of The Mittani, but they also wouldn't help the alliance do the painful things that need to get done. If you told The Adj to go sit on some crap alliance and make their life poo poo, they did a great job of that, but SV didn't really do that well. Then you take Hole Squad, run by Dod Kalm, who is a very chill dude, and takes direction well. He also hangs out with The Mittani regularly, and personal relationships with the CEO of a major coalition is a huge boost, no matter how useful you are. See also: Blawrf, Endie, DJ. And Dod being helpful to The Mittani in real life by going clubbing with him is a good reason to keep him involved in the coalition. So I don't think Sion was as involved in these decisions as people make out, and more doing the will of The Mittani.

Eve Online attracts transactional personalities. You see this heavily in Eve leadership. And if someone does 'work' for a group for multiple years, I think they have the right to voice their displeasure with the new direction of that group. Even if they are no longer helping you directly.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Helicon One posted:

EG crumbled when Vee stopped logging in and the next guy given main FCing duties there was Marine loving Rosger with his unique blend of dank meamies and uncontrolled raging over comms at the idea that someone else might have formed a fleet to attack 'his' targets.

I'll point out that Vee is off happily playing Elder Scrolls Online, of all things.

There was a period where Akasha took over, we were getting like 30-40 dudes max, and I was having fun. But it was just hard to hold the bar so high. He was also doing all the logi, scouting, fcing, so it was a ton of pressure.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

evilweasel posted:

Dominix or however you spell his name was also really key for eg and also quit iirc

Yeah, Domi did one last purge and then his real life took over. This is how eve goes.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
I will point out that MY WIFE has been two goon meets where people were not 'cool'. Everyone else has been pretty good dudes in person, some remarkably so. We are looking forward to Eve Vegas, especially since some people who don't normally get out like Killah Bee is going to be there.

Second one we went to, leetcheese came to it and was kind of a dickbag to a lot of people. He talked about 'MY AVATAR' for literally hours since he just got it. And refused to talk about anything normal. His gf at the time was good at least. I ended up calling him out about it when I applied PL, he didn't remember bringing a girl, and he shut up pretty quick.

Much later on, May Zonday was his radio personality and kind of monopolizing the rock band. He was called out, he chilled, everything is fine the next go round.

Other than that, just the usual goon drama based off in-game stuff and not so much people being a complete dickbag. Even people like Xenuria were fine, who asked for a picture with me at eve vegas, which was amusing:

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Rhymenoserous posted:

You have a kind of "The dude" look going on.

That's good because I was dressed as The Dude. Had about 40 pictures taken of me in Vegas. I went out with Tamir Lenk for Halloween later in the week and we got a ton of photos taken then too. Tamir Lenk is serious about cosplay now!

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Daco Vato posted:

real talk though I wouldn't tell people who I was straight away actually because I wouldn't want to catch a bunch of poo poo and have nerds judge me based on my online persona which isn't who I am. Plus everyone and their brother would come up to me and tell me to shut the gently caress up because they think it'd be a good idea and I just don't want to have to deal with that all night / weekend / whatever.

The majority of eve players have some sort of firewall between their online persona and who they are in real life. It takes real effort to role play a dickbag in person or vice versa. There are exceptions, of course. But you can quickly prove who you are in a short discussion.

I highly recommend you just say who you are in person immediately. Unless you are Warr Akini because he might get straight murdered for killing literally trillions of isk.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Syndic Thrass posted:

I am a nice person irl fwiw

Your stache says otherwise. :v:

You're pretty cool in one of the telegram groups. Maybe not Travis Wells cool but who is.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Syndic Thrass posted:

I just get everyone high at evemeets so im twells on some level

Yeah, I tend to buy people a drink. And maybe they buy me a drink later, even if they usually don't. The old school Euro round system is awesome.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think the "I'm pretty important in space video games" trick ACTUALLY works for him.

No way, he has a much easier play: Be attractive, be tall, own a boat.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Rhymenoserous posted:

Pfft goonfleet owns a boat and it's never done anything for us but be really annoying.

Hey, you get boat liquored up, just spin him, and watch him go. It's great. Till he pukes.

e: I should point out, this was was a good post. Even if I disagree with your assessment of him as I find him entertaining.

goninzo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 14, 2016

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

facultas posted:

I'm not involved in EVE and won't be coming back, so now that I'm just a guy I can be a lot more open with events and how I saw them.

I wonder how Querns will feel about you talking about Goonswarm now that you're done, Sion. Sorry to see you leave eve completely, I wish my CEO was more understanding about taking refugees.

I'm still sad that you never showed up with the alcohol you promised. :sadwave:

goninzo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 15, 2016

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Orange Red Bull posted:

cant you use the !lookup command to view his GIA dossier?

Give him a break, he's new to Illum. What, March of this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Orange Red Bull posted:

cant you use the !lookup command to view his GIA dossier?

BTW, It was traditionally 'forumdata' for SA accounts.

• Locked thread