Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like this new OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mpaarating posted:

Have we accused anyone of mental illness in this thread yet?

No. I volunteer. You can accuse me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Unfunny Poster posted:

Again, this is all relatively news to me since I haven't really done much with Horde since end of February/mid March. I know that any awoxers etc. get purged from the corp (along with other people who cause issues not just via awoxing). The whole mentality of having to apply to be an FC etc. isn't how PL or Waffles ever operate so that's why Horde does that stuff. Is that ideal? Probably not, but the flip side of that coin is that outside of that sort of situation it allows a new guy who wants to FC to step up and FC without red tape and dumb stuff related to it that have turned off newbies from groups like E-Uni etc. in the past.

I can't speak as to how Horde compares to TEST since I never did anything with them, but I know the whole mentality in GSF where you had to do X or Y just to take a fleet out was sort of weird and dumb in my opinion.

My instincts tell me that you're basing this on your impression of GSF during the time that you were in TopGoon, and therefore you're working from your experiences with Trephination, Guuldaan, and Sothrasil. Those guys have a habit of trying to put themselves on a pedestal as FCs because they have aspirations of space important, so for them to be An FC (or a "TopGoon FC") means that they're super special and important and better than the regular plebes because they've been vetted and proven and all of this poo poo, and so if you're not An FC, you need to shut up and listen to them until you're An FC (which you never will be because you're, of course, not as good and important as them).

Jesus, if I had the insurance payouts from every time that those guys went and did something that I told them to not do on the grounds that they were Official FCs and they know better than me and they're going to do it anyway, I'd be Querns.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CainFortea posted:

Is sothrasil that German dude who's all "don't argue with me" when you try to point out freemovr wasn't turned on?

I have no idea but yes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

apseudonym posted:

Soth seemed chill from what I remember from TopGoon 2014 provi fun, what happened :ohdear: ?

Soth was chill, but that and having space delusions of space grandeur aren't mutually exclusive. You should have been there for the conversations in which I was trying to set up a more effective Blops Drop system (involving staging in space rather than in a lowsec pos) and he was all :ohdear: because it would be too hard for his regulars to do it that way and they might stop showing up for fleets if it wasn't the type of spoonfeeding that he was typically offering and he needed to have good numbers because something something block FC.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

apseudonym posted:

Soth seemed chill from what I remember from TopGoon 2014 provi fun, what happened :ohdear: ?

In fact, now that I think about it, if anything he was too chill. He was so desperate to be putting up paplinks with big "impressive" numbers that he'd let any kind of drooling idiot into fleet, no matter how bad they were at EVE or at being a human being. That's how we ended up with people like Johnny Rah and Futility spewing diarrhea over comms all day and getting other people's ships killed and forcing all of the good people quit because they didn't want to be around them anymore, and Soth was too "chill" to kick anyone. And then TopGoon died.

That's what happened.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

apseudonym posted:

That sucks. TopGoon shenanigans helped keep me cheerful while burning out of grad school. I don't remember the horrible drooling idiots much so either I tuned them out or I was one :ohdear:.

What's your eve name. It's possible that you weren't there for this bullshit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

apseudonym posted:

Asurmen Vendici.

You're cool.

(e. I'm Don Gately :skink:)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Prospect :colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

evilweasel posted:

if you weren't there for the [WORD REMOVED BECAUSE CLOUDFLARE BLOCKS ME IF I TYPE IT] debacle you don't know how bad a patch can be

also lol if I type out the name of the file ccp deleted cloudflare thinks i'm trying to do a bad thing to SA and blocks me

Cloudflare blocked me in a different thread yesterday when I put POPERY and PRELACY in quotation marks. It was fine if they weren't in quotation marks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drythe posted:

"POPERY"

e:lies

take this:

quote:

Funny: in some of Milton's prose he refers to his brand of Christianity as "Catholic" in that sense, but also in strict contrast to Popery and Prelacy and the like.

And put quotation marks around the two words in question. Consider doing it via an edit to your post as to avoid further making GBS threads up the thread.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drythe posted:

I thought the point of this thread is to poo poo it up and leave the others alone?

I forgot which thread we were in. But it blocks it, right?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drythe posted:

I can't figure out a way to get them to be blocked. I tried both "Popery and Prelacy" and "Popery" and "Prelacy"

weird. If I even edit the post and go for the latter it blocks me. e. but not if I quote yours.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah ngl "meltdown" has pretty much ceased to have any meaning other than sorting hat for idiot

Just like "cringe-worthy." When I see "cringe-worthy," most of the time it indicates that the speaker had made a judgement about the post/article/hurf before reading a word.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I often wonder what it would be like to cut ties, start a new account and explore this gay rear end autistic universe as a normal pleb (instead of a spergy tryhard ganky pleb).

I've done it a couple times when I've made new accounts. It's actually pretty fun.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Unfunny Poster posted:

We can't seem to get rid of him :cripes:

what the gently caress is that poo poo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mederlock posted:

Whodda thunk that AVE doomsdays would be fuckin broken as all hell? Obviously not CCP, that or they just dgaf because Goons are on the receiving end of it.

I think this was high-angle guns.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

evilweasel posted:

nah, killmails say the weapon was a doomsday

I think the killmail says a lot of things :colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gounads posted:

What are the mechanics behind the new doomsday?

It's a cone that works on the same damage calculations as a regular bomb but with the extra multiplier

(-1*P)

Where P is the target's current standings to PL.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

pugnax posted:

Do you think that 10 noobships shouldn't eat poo poo to a battleship?

that's not what he's saying

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah "cost as balancing factor" has failed spectacularly literally every time it has ever been attempted.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ChickenWing posted:

titan doomsdays take the same amount of skill as opening your eve client

titan doomsday doesn't require a password :colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy gently caress LoB bringing EVE to a/t

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've used my mining skills to run away with poorly-secured mackinaws in providence

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FuturePastNow posted:

You have to do what you think is best for you, Zephyrine, but keep posting. I like reading about Eve and these threads wouldn't be tolerable with only the bad posters.

racist

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think that these last four pages which I skipped overlook the most important question: was JanIrvam right the whole time?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore posted:

I think that these last four pages which I skipped overlook the most important question: was JanIrvam right the whole time?

no.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

good autoban idiot

Yep. I was making an Indian food thread and read "hot" in the other sense, totally distracted by fixing auto-generating BB tags.

At least it gave me a good thread title when I actually posted it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey VideoGames. To increase your corp skills would be a good use for a skill injector, seeing as that's just an arbitrary hurdle that CCP adds. If you want I'll buy you one + the skillbooks for a few tiers of corp skill.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Now I'm checking everyone's post counts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ullerrm posted:

I'm gonna come in on the "random assignment is dumb" side of things, for two reasons :

1) the player base is way older now, on average
2) god help the poor fucks who end up in a group with sothrasil or penif or DBRB or mittens or w/e

What I have thought about at times is making a small gang sig, which could be run one of two ways:

1) everyone in one sig, but no fleets bigger than X people allowed
2) the sig is subdivided into micro squads, you are given X pilots who will fly together, time to get gud

Both sound terrible in their own way honestly.

One of the final ideas I had for Topgoon before Soth managed to get it gassed was as a zero-organization no-FCs squad which essentially had a few recommended fits and a deployment area as a playground in which almost anything goes and people get smashed down for trying to build little cults of personality. I guess it would be like a homeland defense standing fleet, except in someone else's space.

Could probably create a reasonably effective group by combining those two ideas.

(e. Soth shot the idea down because it wouldn't make him space famous)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm going to chime in on this because I'm still super salty about it all. We actually did that when I moved us into providence and it was fairly good. But more on Topgoon because it's my favorite topic to be really angry about.

Topgoon was fine doing what it was doing before Theadj gutted it, and then atrophied it by sending us to garbage regions. The only thing topgoon needed was more than one person who counted as adult supervision. Treph to a degree, but mostly Sothrasil and Guuldan were completely incapable of just having fun and killing nerds without doing something completely retarded, and getting in dick measuring contests with directors/FC's and generally causing hell. Someone absolutely had to be there to watch them like hawks. Guuldan literally had blackops drop on him because he was loving with their camp and I had to pause a movie I was watching with my girlfriend to deal with that. That's loving ridiculous.

Despite these awful loving people being the cause of 100% of my problems, Theadj laid the blame squarly on Trephs head (Mind you he had been gone for two weeks because he just had another hellspawn) and would not let me get rid of these loving misfits.

You want cult of personality bullshit? Soth is your loving man. That dude literally spent 3 hours crowing about how he had the keys to the FC channels and no one else did, because he was ~special~, he even had this long spiel about how he was more important than I was because he had those keys. Not realizing that Theadj had passed me those selfsame keys long before, amongst other things, but to me it was just a tool in my bag should I need it, not some ~thing~ to be lorded over my fellow pilots.

I know. Our provi times is what gave me the idea. After my overhaul Topgoon would have consisted of a jabber channel with a "Staging is Nakah. Get in comms if you are running or looking for a fleet" type of MOTD and a forum with a bunch of stickies that essentially read "Here are basic skills for newbees. Don't be a bad." Everything else (except the shitposting thread) would have been deleted.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My theory is that DBRB is Goonswarm Federation's version of Jerry Lewis: Euros think he's funny for some unknown reason.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The trick with Soth is that he actually seems chill and cool until you actually have to organize something with him in some way. When you're a newbee you'll be in a fleet with him and you'll say "yes" to what he wants no matter what the gently caress he wants and you get reimbursement anyway and so you don't think about it. Or if you're a bona-fide chillman like Spankys you don't give a gently caress, and you barely pay attention anyway. So people go for years without realizing how loving bad he is. It's not until you actually have to do some kind of leadership that you realize how awful he is and how bad he is at responding to anyone else's ideas, no matter how uncontroversial and sensible your idea is. Once he has a loving idea in his head it's over.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Good luck Vyst. That sounds like horrible and invasive surgery, so I hope you have a speedy recovery too.

What should be done with the skin? Tent? Lampshades? Jacket?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vyst just decided to apply the same scrutiny to his fat as he did to the auth process, and walla!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jazzzzz posted:

Mach vs. Rattlesnake? Can you recommend a fit for either of them that isn't the typical 1.5B gank-bait that gets posted on the eve-o forums?

Just a general t2 fit will work fine with the mach.

Consider also though that the Mach's performance scales with SP and good modules. The Maelstrom actually seems to outperform it at lower SP and with budget fits, at least when the purchase cost is considered.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Most mission runner bling ganking is done with tornadoes to alpha you so you never get a chance to activate hardeners, and they'll know your fit. The best way to avoid being ganked is to have a passive fit of some kind.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Here's my fit.

I love it, level 4s are a breeze where I can tank everything on grid without a dent and when I finish training Shield Comp V and HSM V it will be totally cap stable even with the MWD on. But as you can see I only have 61k EHP. Any thoughts?

your EHP with the invuln off is what matters. Also keep in mind that you might be able to get the exact same resists out of tech ii or x-type mission specific hardeners instead of the invuln + the boost amplifier, at much lower cost (and thus much lower gank risk)

Even with your invuln on, it would only take 7 tornadoes to make you evaporate faster than you knew what happened, and 7 tornadoes costs much less than half of what your low slots are worth. In other words, you'd be profitable to gank.

e. other fitting advice:
you don't need to be cap stable and perma run your tank. Put on the least amount of tank possible and decline any missions that aren't blitzable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm not trying to blitz missions right now since I'm not trained to do burners. Since I can't do burners I won't be able to sustain my standings when I constantly decline every mission I can't just blitz.

If I have to do level 4s straight up don't I need my tank to be near cap stable?

If you have like 4 minutes of cap you can survive most l4s, if you're sensible. Seriously - I did l4s in a 300m isk Maelstrom. Sure, you're doing them faster, but you're not doing them TEN TIMES faster, which you would have to be to justify the cost/risk.

gently caress, just play around with EFT/Pyfa on your lowslots. How much DPS is that 4th faction BCU actually giving you over the tech ii? 2?

• Locked thread