Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Now that this is almost out, how does it compare to Dark Souls/Bloodborne? IS the combat pretty similar? Is the world complex and cool? Will I die hundreds of times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Cool (apocryphal) story about Yosuke, Nobunaga's bodyguard/slave/friend.

Nobunaga was betrayed and assassinated, surrounded in a complex by a rival. Yosuke wasn't with him at the time of Nobunaga's death, but a group of the attackers stumbled upon him. Not only had these guys never seen an African, he was allegedly like 6'4. He was ready to fight, but Nobunaga's killer said that because Yosuke was not Japanese he was not beholden to die for his master. They released him and even paid for his return to Africa.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

In 20+ years of playing video games I think the only other time I've pre-ordered a game was Wrath of the Lich King. And that was because the only place to buy my games in my podunk home town was the wal-mart, and it sold out of pre-orders as I anticipated. However, this game looks awesome and it's going to help fill the gaping hole that Dark Souls has left in me, so I even splurged on the deluxe version or whatever it is.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Looks cool and has good music

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It feels like that because it's constantly being compared to dark souls, which obfuscates basically everything.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah, like Duke Nukem Forever.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

AAAAAAH!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm stuck at work for a few more hours, then I have to go help someone work out. It's gonna be hard for me to motivate myself to lift when I can just leave as soon as I want :<

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Kusari gama is the greatest weapon in the history of ever.

Fully agreed

Question: Is there a way to check what bonuses items give you?

I got some pre-order armor and when I equip it one of the special effects is "Nioh Incarnate", but I can't tell what it does.

Kusarigama is the absolute tits.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

William's ladder swag is outta this world.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is there any specific purpose to summoning the revenants from the graves?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What exactly is the Guardian Spirit's "Special Ability"? Do you just hit O+Triangle against after it's summoned? Or am I missing something? It doesn't seem like it's doing anything.

Only thing that's bothering me so far is the control scheme. I'm using R1/R2 attacks and Square for block, but it still feels kind of unnatural.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Does the item/spell for Guardian Spirit attack use your Spirit Gauge?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

The one that you activate by pressing circle + triangle while living weapon is active does use a chunk of the bar

That's what I meant. Do each of the guardian spirits have a different special attack (while living weapon is active)?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is it just an AoE damage of whatever element type they GS is connected to maybe?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Traxis posted:

I tried using the PS4 theme that came with the preorder bonus and it put my console into an infinite crash loop. Had to reboot in safe mod and reset to default settings to get it to stop.

Mine has been super slow since Ive been using it too

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Nioh is only constantly compared to Dark Souls because that series has dominated the ARPG scene for the last 7 years. It's like how every goddamn FPS from 2003-2009 would call itself the "Halo Killer".

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Besides the Amrita/Souls XP and Grave thing, what exactly makes it a DS clone?

I'm not arguing that it's missing something. Lore and world design are some of the things that I really loved about DS/BB and Nioh just doesn't seem to have that. It just really feels a lot more like Diablo with a better combat system than DS though.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Company makes thing.
Thing is a big hit, either revitalizes or creates a genre.
Another company comes along and improves on it.

Literally how everything has existed since its inception.

ftfy

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Revenants are active even if you don't have Ps+. You just have to go into Online Mode.

Why does Kusarigama mix well with Ninjitsu? Just because Skill affects both of them?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

That's my question, why do the tools synergize better with a kusarigama then a sword?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

That's what I assumed, I just didn't know if there was something I was missing.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

One of my guns had a 4% chance on firing to have unlimited ammo.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Bat bitch is wrecking my poo poo

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah I'm still terrible with iframes. No idea which way I should be going when they attack.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Beat bat bitch by switching to a spear. The low stance flip is so loving sweet.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Meridian posted:

Right? I love the low stance move set. My buddy is telling me to try out the chain thing, but I haven't found a good one yet.

Its real fun too. The move set has a really versatile moveset.

I really like the difference in the Guardian Spirit bonuses. It's pretty loving dumb how you unlock them though. You think there's be something more than "you got some spirit" after a mission.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So the skills that say "you can use Ki pulse while dodging", does that was actually mean that dodging automatically uses Ki pulse if it's available?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

A giant blob monster that's weak to fire, in a game with similar gameplay aspects to Demon's/Dark Souls.

Hmm..

But did you guys notice that Demon's/Dark Souls uses a combat system where you can equip various different kind of weapons, and each of those weapons has different statistics. Like some are faster or stronger than others, and some do some sort of element based damage. That kind of gameplay seems really similar to Team Ninja's 2004 "Ninja Gaiden".

Really makes you think...

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

CJacobs posted:

You also don't have to be behind them necessarily, you can approach from any direction, even the front if you have the ninja skill that renders you invisible. Though it is a bit silly to toss a ninja smoke bomb right in an enemy's face and then do a sneak attack.

That's the opposite of silly. Its loving sweet.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I shot that prick full of arrows until he stopped hopping

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So is the entire first area, up until Muneshige What was in the Demo? I'm like 12 hours in and just now there.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

There's no minimum limit to Purify. Just swing once and clear.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Bat bitch was one shotting me with combos until I switched from the shinobi armor. It really makes a huge difference.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Neither. The only time I have ever blocked my way out of a combo is if it's slow enough that you recover from the little stun that happens when you get hit before the next swing comes. Otherwise I just eat a bunch of damage.

Are you using heavy armor and building toughness? It makes a huge difference. Bat bitch crushed me until I switched to heavy stuff and then I could block her whole combo and still have Ki for a hit.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So your elixirs go to storage if you're over capacity, and they automatically refill to 4/5 or whatever at shrines. If you run out of them in storage do you still get 4/5 at the shrine, or are you totally screwed?

Since you can't just buy them with gold it would be real poo poo if you ran out and the game said "sorry. Go farm 500 hakamas and swords until we give you more".

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Pigbottom posted:

yes, at first you get 3, but it scales up depending on how many kodamas you saved.

But if you run out are you screwed, or do you get some at shrines even if you have none in storage?

Edit: that's so good to know, that was so bad in Bloodborne

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have died 177 times to Tachibana Muneshige. I will have to try again tomorrow

Learn the rock. Love the rock.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It really annoys me that every stat specifically lists which weapon it works with except the kusarigama. I know it's Dex, but why not just say it.

Also, a lot of armor has the weight listed in parenthesis next to the name, but some of them don't have anything. If they don't have a listing is the armor considered some sort of different class? And besides the Agility rating is there any difference in wearing different armor? Heavy armor actually increases your survivability by a crazy amount, and since iframes don't work the same way it really doesn't seem like Light armor is worth it, even with a Skill/Dex build. I'll get two-shot by Yokai if I mess up a dodge in light armor, but with heavy armor I can tank hits and block and still dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

When an item piece or Set Bonus says something like "Ki Damage" or "Skill Damage", does that just mean a bonus to those types of damage? IE "Ki Damage" would mean you do additional Ki Damage to an opponent, and "Skill Damage" means you do additional damage based on your Skill based weapons?