Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is "the Pokemon power"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

It has a roundhouse, but it doesn't say anything about it doing ki damage. That's what is important to me.

All kicks do ki damage.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Thumbtacks posted:

I was watching you stream earlier, do you only use the spear? Seems like it's definitely your weapon of choice...

What combo was that, anyway?

For now I'm only using the spear, if any game has a spear that's what I'm using.

The skill is Spearfall and my armor/weapon are Naomasa Ii's set that gives it a huge bonus. I also do bonus finishing blow and back damage. I also do bonus damage if the enemy is on fire.

I think spear is a godly weapon to use on human foes as it has wide and long range, knocks people down, and has a lot of quick skills to capitalize on situations. It's not great for Yokai though as its attacks leave the user wide open to enemies that don't stagger and it's not particularly good at anything to make up for it (slow element application, no good ki reducing moves). The only real good it has is that it can very easily hit a weak spot if a Yokai has one.

Probably the coolest thing about spear is Spear Stance Change which is a free attack you let off every time you Ki Pulse. It's great for keeping combos going forever when you have the chance to.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Figures when I give up Axes I get a badass one with a B+ strength stat. Also I got a helm with +40% total toughness... that seems crazy good right :stare:.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Holy poo poo Extraction Talisman+Living Weapon is so broken. If you ever get frustrated on a boss and want to just destroy them try that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What things does the spear's and dual swords' parry work against? It doesn't seem to work on demons even though they're using weapons like people.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

RatHat posted:

Holy poo poo Extraction Talisman+Living Weapon is so broken. If you ever get frustrated on a boss and want to just destroy them try that.

Try Extraction Talisman, the multiply Amirata one and the Pure spirit build (you can get a Weapon with A spirit scaling), you can press 1 button and beat everything

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd be super ok with this game toning down the loot by like 80% jfc

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I'd be super ok with this game toning down the loot by like 80% jfc

Yeah I have had a really positive experience with the game so far but there is a lot of menuing strapped to the thing

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Gnumonic posted:

I lucked out and got the "Close Combat Life Recovery" special effect, which recovers the number value of health whenever you kill something in melee, and man, this game went from "Oh my god this makes Dark Souls look like Animal Crossing" to "Hm this could be way harder." Highly recommend reforging for that perk if you're having trouble.
The shark summon has a +100 heal/kill at 9 spirit, which isn't too big a investment early on, and is pretty handy. Obviously it'll drop off later, but can always respec, assuming the extra human damage, and ki reduction on heavy attacks for only another 2 points isn't your thing. :smug:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm on a sidequest at a frozen temple and it's approximately three hours long or something what the gently caress is this

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

How is the item management? After playing the demo I had dozens upon dozens of nigh-identical weapons and pieces of armor to sift through. I don't want to spend half my time indexing junk like in Diablo and Borderlands so I just want to know how annoying that aspect is.

You can hit the touchpad and chose to mass select items with a rarity filter. Like the sell, donate, and disassemble menus all work the same way. You can lock stuff you want to keep, and you can select "all common", "uncommon or below", "rare or below" etc and just mass sell/donate/dismantle. it works pretty well.

limited posted:

The shark summon has a +100 heal/kill at 9 spirit, which isn't too big a investment early on, and is pretty handy. Obviously it'll drop off later, but can always respec, assuming the extra human damage, and ki reduction on heavy attacks for only another 2 points isn't your thing. :smug:

Wait is that passive just on all the time when your spirit is with you? Not just when you're living weaponing? That's really badass.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Snak posted:

Wait is that passive just on all the time when your spirit is with you? Not just when you're living weaponing? That's really badass.
Yep. There's other fun things like general damage reduction, etc.

Tenacity seems like a interesting stat too. The description is that it enhances the LW depending on health, so maybe you can get a devil-trigger type effect where you can pop it at low health and just utterly destroy everything.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

limited posted:

Yep. There's other fun things like general damage reduction, etc.

Tenacity seems like a interesting stat too. The description is that it enhances the LW depending on health, so maybe you can get a devil-trigger type effect where you can pop it at low health and just utterly destroy everything.

Yeah, I think Spirit builds are gonna be really cool once we get them all figured out. I love this game. It's a steep learning curve for me, but every boss I've beat my head against (I'm at ~220 deaths), I've eventually come to understand and appreciate.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Finally got some time to play this, and I'm enjoying it a lot. The weapon variety + stances offer as much customization as expected, makes it easy to find combinations that feel good to each user. I'm also having an easier time of it starting out than I did in Bloodborne, but I can still get punished for overreaching.

Two things I wish I'd known starting out -

-Bow & arrow can single pull enemies, if you're looking to thin out a crowd
-If you do end up in a crowd, Living Weapon is a lifesaver

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What does it mean when a skill says (Critical) next to it?

What does the stat attack up on kill Grade B mean? Does the weapon scale with how many kills you get in a row? Is it permanent or until you get hit or what?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
I preordered but didn't play until today and: game owns and farming people that drowned owns too

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Snak posted:

Yeah, I think Spirit builds are gonna be really cool once we get them all figured out. I love this game. It's a steep learning curve for me, but every boss I've beat my head against (I'm at ~220 deaths), I've eventually come to understand and appreciate.

Spirit seems pretty awesome, but I really hope that there's some spirit scaling weapon other than the Raikiri. I assume you can get spirit scaling as a random effect on weapons, but I haven't run into it on anything.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Little reminder for new players - any time the target reticle turns red, that's your cue to press the triangle button for a devastating special attack. Keep an eye out.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Megasabin posted:

What does it mean when a skill says (Critical) next to it?
Basically it only kicks in when at a certain HP %. I'd guess 30% or 20% as the magic number as those seems to be a common trigger for most skills.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, what are Twilight Missions? Are they just harder versions of the normal missions? To that end, is there any point in doing them besides the challenge?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm gonna out myself as a scrub and say I can't beat the boat boss. I am at the point where it's so thoroughly unfun I am pretty much ready to shelf this game .

I absolutely hate the stagger. It's bearable until the boss but it just ruins the game for me. Not having fun at all anymore.

I had the same issue, 40 tries to beat him up. Until I realized I could use the living weapon to finish him. But even then, why the hell did the make the bosses such damage sponges, most of the times I think I just died out of boredom.

On the other hand, the next boss, the bat lady, was piss easy. With under 50% weight you can avoid 100% of her attack without much trouble

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
OK gang I have questions.

1). Can you quit out of a mission somehow? I just started a mission and forgot to stock up on arrows and ammo. Am I screwed?

2). Can you rearrange and equip gear at the map screen or do you have to do that *in* a mission? I can't find a way to do it unless I'm actively in a mission but I feel like I must be missing a menu somewhere.

3). How and what do you use to stockpile healing items? I know you can offer stuff at a shrine but it seems like the rewards are random?

4). Can you reply missions you beat? Will the revenants be at your current level or the level they were when they died?

Sorry if these are dumb.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Gnumonic posted:

Spirit seems pretty awesome, but I really hope that there's some spirit scaling weapon other than the Raikiri. I assume you can get spirit scaling as a random effect on weapons, but I haven't run into it on anything.

There is an endgame weapon with A Spirit scaling (Not sure if fixed, it was green quality)

he1ixx posted:

OK gang I have questions.

1). Can you quit out of a mission somehow? I just started a mission and forgot to stock up on arrows and ammo. Am I screwed?

2). Can you rearrange and equip gear at the map screen or do you have to do that *in* a mission? I can't find a way to do it unless I'm actively in a mission but I feel like I must be missing a menu somewhere.

3). How and what do you use to stockpile healing items? I know you can offer stuff at a shrine but it seems like the rewards are random?

4). Can you reply missions you beat? Will the revenants be at your current level or the level they were when they died?

Sorry if these are dumb.

1) You have 2 options, a "Lose all yoursouls and leave" infinite use item and a consumable "Keep your souls and leave"

2 Same button as while on a mission

3) If you pick up healing while at max, it goes to stockpile, will refresh when you next rest at a shrine or die.

4) Yes, Level when they died I believe (I may be wrong)

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So your elixirs go to storage if you're over capacity, and they automatically refill to 4/5 or whatever at shrines. If you run out of them in storage do you still get 4/5 at the shrine, or are you totally screwed?

Since you can't just buy them with gold it would be real poo poo if you ran out and the game said "sorry. Go farm 500 hakamas and swords until we give you more".

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So your elixirs go to storage if you're over capacity, and they automatically refill to 4/5 or whatever at shrines. If you run out of them in storage do you still get 4/5 at the shrine, or are you totally screwed?

Since you can't just buy them with gold it would be real poo poo if you ran out and the game said "sorry. Go farm 500 hakamas and swords until we give you more".

yes, at first you get 3, but it scales up depending on how many kodamas you saved.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

CJacobs posted:

So, what are Twilight Missions? Are they just harder versions of the normal missions? To that end, is there any point in doing them besides the challenge?

Different enemies and enemy placement, sometimes different key item positions, and usually better gear drops due to the tougher enemies.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thankfully they learned from Bloodborne's mistake and give you a small amount for free when you use a respawn if you're totally out.

HGH posted:

Different enemies and enemy placement, sometimes different key item positions, and usually better gear drops due to the tougher enemies.

Interesting. Might be worth it if I'm falling behind on gear I guess.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Pigbottom posted:

yes, at first you get 3, but it scales up depending on how many kodamas you saved.

But if you run out are you screwed, or do you get some at shrines even if you have none in storage?

Edit: that's so good to know, that was so bad in Bloodborne

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Elixirs refill up to the maximum at shrines if you have any in your storage. When you're getting 4 or so (depending on how many kodama you've found), that means you're out of storage Elixirs. So you're never totally screwed.

limited posted:

Later spirits have even better abiliites. Spirit is a pretty awesome stat, at least up to (I think) 23 or so, which is the highest Spirit requirement I know of. Beyond that, it still helps your Living Weapon and any Spirit-scaling weapons, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I nominate ninjas for The Worst Enemy Type.

"So okay, we have an enemy that does a lot of damage, can chain combos infinitely, and has poison shurikens and fire arrows that both do DOT effects if they hit you in rapid succession. Also they can block your attacks. This is a standard enemy type that you'll see a lot in ninja-type areas."

"And to compensate we'll make them slow with a wind-up on their attacks, right?"

"Huh? Oh, the game shipped yesterday."

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 10, 2017

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Anyone know what that patch was that I downloaded last night?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cool, the spiders show up in multiple missions after all. That's really cool. God it's just the coolest thing.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

This game is fun. I did start out with a chain and ninjitsu build then changed to a 1h/dual sword build instead which is also fun. I think something clicked in my head last night and now everything is a lot easier than it was before. Took out a boss Water guy without getting hit on my second go which I was pretty happy with, though he was also hella easy.

I still sometimes have trouble with regular oni enemies when I try and rush them, but that's my fault. Onto the third island!

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Stormgale posted:

There is an endgame weapon with A Spirit scaling (Not sure if fixed, it was green quality)

1) You have 2 options, a "Lose all yoursouls and leave" infinite use item and a consumable "Keep your souls and leave"

2 Same button as while on a mission
But once I'm in a mission I can't seem to find a way to get back to the main mission map. Maybe I'm missing it but I can't find a "abandon this mission" option anywhere. Just a "return to main menu" in settings which I assume is Game Quit.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

he1ixx posted:

But once I'm in a mission I can't seem to find a way to get back to the main mission map. Maybe I'm missing it but I can't find a "abandon this mission" option anywhere. Just a "return to main menu" in settings which I assume is Game Quit.

You have an item in your inventory, it's purple and it's a branch. Use that to leave.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

he1ixx posted:

The branch/fragment items take you back to the region menu, the hari-kiri​ sword is for respawning at the shrine

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Leveling up your weapons would be a lot more useful if it didn't take all of the yen, ever.

Also, enemies have better AI and movesets in twilight missions right, I'm not just imagining it?

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 10, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHLoY3D88o

William, you are a samurai, not a ninja, you cannot trick your way through walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone know if run speed and similar modifiers stack?