Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lets hang out posted:

2 kats first playthrough :twisted:

What is the difference between this and single katana in terms of playstyle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I enjoyed the demo, but seeing that video with the skill that allows you to barehanded parry is probably what sold me on this game. Blade catching is always the coolest thing in samurai movies and I'm glad this game knows it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Davincie posted:

i wonder why kelley. wouldn't one of the various jesuits loving around in japan have been a more obvious choice?

What if the final boss of the game... is Jesus?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That didn't come across to me as comedic at all, especially since it's about people from two different cultures meeting.

Also please tell me there's more of that Timecat in this game, because I am already building my list of 2017 Pet Games of the Year

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I died approximately 350 times in the Last Chance demo's main level. I died about 150 times in the swordsman duel before the demo timer ran out and it ended

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gonna get good enough to do a naked hand cannon / fists run

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't want any spoilers for the game except, is Hattori Hanzo's Clock Cat or any other Ninja Cat featured prominently in the game beyond that one scene

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lets hang out posted:

that cutscene isn't the cat's only appearance

All right, this game is gunning hard for GOTY2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I put this game in my Gamefly queue and they just mailed it out today, good on them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There really should be infighting, why is it when I pull enemy humans in the middle of fighting an oni or whatever they start teaming up for combos and poo poo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What is the window for parries in this game? I'm still trying to get a feel for things but I am whiffing way more than I expect. I bought the ability and am in the stance it says I need to be in

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

These bars lie, so many times I get attacked by enemies still alive with no pixels of life or blocking while their ki is flashing red

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What does Ki mean for the Yokai? I mean, I assume it's Ki even though it's purple. You can't grapple them and they seem to do everything normally even when they're empty

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Where are people seeing the time played? I like they show all the stats but I don't see that in-game?

It's helpful to know I've died 82 times on the first level, how am I doing

Edit: Make that 110, I learned the first phase of the boss but keep screwing up the distances on attacks in the second\

Edit: Finally did it! 111 deaths, 33851 Amrita lost

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 9, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have like 12 Ninjutsu points and the skill tree for that is real confusing. I already got the shuriken, the backstab, the barehanded parry, and the increase your elixir count. What else is good early

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks! Yeah I picked the kusarigama so I have been putting a lot of levels into Dex. Man, that weapon is cool and the high stance heavy has like the longest range

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The other system that's confusing me is loot. What should I be doing with it: salvage, sell, offering?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lakbay posted:

If tom cruise was the last samurai, William is the first weeaboo

I mean he somehow masters all these martial arts just by reading some book that got left on a boat.

I am loving all the story beats I am encountering so far and I only just beat the first mission

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Collecting all kodama is 100% mandatory because they're scared and lost and you have to help them find their friends again. Any bonuses they give are secondary.

I immediately went back into the first mission to do it again because of this. I am glad I learned about Kodama Sense!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh wow, the help-descriptions for all the stats are actually relatively clear in explaining things. I also found that I had an accessory that gives me permanent Kodama sense!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh my God, I just saw the cutscene for the second story mission, GOTY 2017 this is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm using the kusarigama and have been mostly focusing on high stance and mid. Low doesn't seem to add much when high has both a super long-range attack and is still pretty quick with the light combo, and mid has a good AOE attack

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bogart posted:

For the boat boss, you need to accept that you'll win through a thousand cuts, not any big juicy Dark Souls combo. Dodge in, burn a third of your ki with a combo, back out. Need to be extremely opportunistic.

The first time I beat that fight I only attacked once in each opening, and only when it was completely safe timing and I knew I couldn't be hit by any of his possible moves. In the throw phase I was attacking like once every thirty seconds

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you can't get the dodge timing, as long as you're running laterally while he's preparing to throw, he won't be able to connect

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Consumables are such a feel-bad situation. They seem too precious for use on normal enemies, but it is so terrible to burn a bunch of them on a boss, and then die.

At least the ninja skills give you replenishing items.

Also for half of them using them in battle seems hosed up, the animation for using them is so risky for effects that last like one attack

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 10, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well, I beat the second boss! It only took me 3 hours, 32 minutes, and 47 deaths as opposed to 8h37m and 123 deaths for the first level, so I think I'm getting the hang of it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Gotta learn her patterns and how to deal with them, that's all. It's timing and learning. I went from dying to her within 30 seconds 5 times in a row to being able to kill her whenever I feel like it.
Also, pay attention to status effect defenses. They're actually important in this game!

I feel like I'm going to run into problems if I have to fight a boss that I can't abuse with the kusarigama's absurd high-heavy attack, it's basically like having an infinite-ammo rifle. And yeah, the paralysis gave me problems, even when I had mostly gotten the hang of dodging it, because one slip-up was basically death. But ninjutsu can make anti-paralysis pills so that solved that problem

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What is "the Pokemon power"?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I can hit perfect Ki pulses most of the time but then I always get greedy and just immediately start attacking again before it's actually filled back up

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How many levels are there? With all these sub-missions it seems like even if there aren't that many locations, I will be playing this for a while. I always like that with Souls-type games I spend more time trying to beat the first area than I do with some whole Call of Duty campgaigns

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah if I'd known that would happen in advance I would have done it. People said that enemies became much more lethal at the halfway point, though. So, I was nervous about being gimped going into it. And I still am hesitant to stop leveling because I'd hate to run into a final boss that will require tons of grinding because I hadn't been leveling as I went or something.

That kind of self-imposed handicap really requires advanced knowledge of how the difficulty will scale. Not really feasible for a first run.

Also, there are missions that require stats to be at a certain level to unlock... so I'd have to skip those.

If you are looking for a challenge isn't that what New Game+ is for? I mean, I've died 170 times in the first two levels so I'm kind of glad they have some kind of curve to things

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tomie knows me posted:

It took me 5 hours to beat the first mission. :(

8.5 hours here :)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What is "attack break"?

Just as I am talking about how much I love the kusarigama's high stance strong attack, I get a kusarigama that gives a bonus to high stance ki damage and strong attack break, lucky me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I just faced my first ninja, holy shitfuck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I actually found those pretty underwhelming. Just put up your guard and let them empty their tiny stamina-pools before you empty their tiny health-pools.

Yeah I fought a bunch of them in the third main mission and the human ones are OK, but since I did the sub-mission for the second level first where you have to fight one that's all Yokai-ed up while four other enemies are trying to kill you it kind of added to the difficulty

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is the Guardian Talisman supposed to be cool because it actually seems lame

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

UGH every time I fight a boss and get near to killing them I end up using Living Weapon thinking I can finish it quick, screw everything up because I don't know the timing of any of my moves, then I'm back to normal and dead in half a second

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mission 3 complete! I'm at 223 deaths in 16 h 9 m. The midboss was actually much more difficult for me than the boss. It's just like in Bloodborne, big beasts always gave me a harder time than the humanoid bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have literally not been able to parry for the past 100 times I've tried to do it. I've made sure that it is the selected skill and I'm in the right stance. People have said the parry window is wider than in Bloodborne but I am completely unable to make it work here