Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm completely sold on Nioh. It's rougher than a Souls game but it is so goddamn fun to play that I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'm gonna have a hard time watching Nioh gameplay videos because so many people never Ki pulse. (Not true of the video Alteisen shared, but so many other boss fight videos I've found don't have a single Ki pulse and it bugs the hell out of me.)

Unrelated: is there any way to increase a piece of equipment's quality, like from yellow to blue or from blue to purple? I've seen people say "get a purple Raikiri" as a good first step in a Spirit build but the mission that gives you that weapon gives you a blue one. Is there a random chance it'll be upgraded when you complete the mission, or is there some way to upgrade it yourself? Or another source for the same weapon later?

Ki Pulsing takes time to get used to and honestly I think prioritizing the "Ki pulse on dodge' upgrades ASAP should be a priority at least for mid/high stance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Buy the skills that give you ki pulse on dodge for each of the 3 stances for your favorite weapon ASAP

They're called Living Water. Get Living water for high, med, and low stance.

It says "allows you to use ki pulse when dodging" but it should really say "dodging counts as a ki pulse" which is fantastic.

Also: Go to the Dojo and play tutorial missions, you unlock more as you play the game and many have very good rewards, and unlock skills!

Living Water is IIRC shared across weapons. At very least I certainly recall only buying it for sword and having it on others.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I don't get why they felt the need to rip off so many little inconsequential things like the corpses lit up with items and tight spiraling staircases, completely bog standard enemy traps/setups etc. it really goes way past inspiration.

These are weird things to hold up as examples because Dark Souls did not invent those things and they are in fact present in previous games from the same developer. I mean I get that a lot of Nioh is shamelessly inspired by Dark Souls and that's true, but a lot of those things are things that exist in video games or which a developer has used independently before.

Like it's worth remembering that Team Ninja worked on Ninja Gaiden and while Nioh obviously borrows a lot from Dark Souls it also borrows a lot from Ninja Gaiden, and a lot of what you're pointing at was present in Team Ninja's previous games which predate Dark Souls.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 8, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

None of those things define Dark Souls on their own, but in succession they amplify how plagiarized it feels which is exactly my point.

Right, except as I said, you're calling them plagiarized despite them being fairly generic things. Nioh has as much Ninja Gaiden in its blood as it does Souls and literally each of the things you mentioned are present in Ninja Gaiden. You're calling them plagerizing because you associate them with Dark Souls but as someone who played the poo poo out of Ninja Gaiden I recognized a lot more of it than I did Dark Souls in things like that. Obviously the game has plenty of Souls inspiration but it feels weird to point to like 'corpses lit up with items" as being a Dark Souls thing when they did that in Ninja Gaiden, a game that predates Demon's Souls by 5 years.

You're treating Demon's Souls as the creator of things that it itself borrowed from other games. (and hell, From Software even created their own knockoff Ninja Gaiden, remember Ninja Blade?)

Edit: This doesn't mean that Nioh doesn't owe a lot to the Souls games because it does, but it's also worth remembering that the Souls games themselves owe plenty to other developers too and that some things exist across different games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 8, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I get what your saying and I'm not saying that everything DS does comes from completely original ideas. In fact I'd say that series' biggest strength is that it draws from a lot of good ideas and does it's own thing with it. It becomes it's own thing.

Nioh on the other hand not only rips off the basic format of DS but manages to rip off the minutia of it as well which really does nothing other than drive the point home. It really doesn't matter if it's been done before. If you are going to go that hard with emulating another game maybe try to put more of your own spin on it.

Like, I am playing this and I can usually tell whatever enemy trap is waiting before me because I've played Dark Souls. It's not a good sign of an original game.

Right, but again, you're assuming that what they are doing is copying Dark Souls and not that developers will come up with similar ideas especially if they happen to be dancing in similar genres. I was able to predict a fair number of things in Nioh because they did similar things in Ninja Gaiden. Beyond a certain point it's worth noting that

A) There is a shared linage of game design and game designers borrow and are inspired by one another
B) People from FromSoftware explicitly has played the Ninja Gaiden games (and have mentioned doing so in interviews), up to and including developers from their blatant Ninja Gaiden clone Ninja Blade working on Dark and Demon's Souls.

You're beginning from the viewpoint that obviously these untalented hacks are just ripping off FromSoftware and not the idea that maybe something you recognize from Dark Souls didn't begin there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 8, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brackhar posted:

So for people who have played the game for a bit and gotten more weapon skills, what's the downlow on the different weapon archetypes? I'm finding them pretty hard to judge out of the gate since I'm missing a lot of skills. I'm using dual swords currently and, while I'm liking them more than katana, I'm still not sure they are for me. I'm about to beat the first mission and am considering restarting to get my stat points back.

Katana: all-around safe weapon. It's pretty good at everything.
Dual Katana: Really fast, honestly feels like it could be a bit OP to me since it theoretically is sacrificing damage for speed but it pans out well.
Spears: The safe weapon. Longest range, pumping stat gives you good defense.
Axe: Really strong but its big advantage seems to be in breaking down enemy ki rather than its straight damage dealing. Obviously really slow but stances + pulsing tends to alleviate that downside.
Kusarigama: Honestly I never got a great feel for this? I think it's what you want to go for if you're planning on going for magic though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Honestly, this argument is going nowhere. I'll drop it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 8, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So the skills that say "you can use Ki pulse while dodging", does that was actually mean that dodging automatically uses Ki pulse if it's available?

Yes, it means your dodge triggers Ki Pulse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Well the game certainly vomited a lot of new mechanics at me in the tutorial :stare:

What stance should I be using? Blocking or dodging? Is parrying or backstabbing a thing here? Did I Do It Wrong picking dual swords, axes, and the fire wolf? Oh god he;lp

Stance:
High = damage
Med = Normal
Low = Speed.

Obviously it's more complex than that and eventually you'll want to learn mid-combo stance swapping but by and large just focus on what you feel fits the situation.

Parrying is a thing, you'll unlock it as a skill.

Don't worry about your initial pick. It's an extremely minor stat difference. You have room to experiment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely love the fact that William is literally a dude who read a bunch about Japan and felt an innate kinship with the noble Japanese and began wielding a katana.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

In some ways I think this game is way easier than most Souls things.

But then again I've played way too many of these drat things so I'm probably a bad person to judge that. Also I haven't dipped into any Twilight missions.

I think it is easier in that it has more handicaps in your favor and ways you can overcome challenges. I'm not necessarily sure that's a bad thing just a different thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

UGH every time I fight a boss and get near to killing them I end up using Living Weapon thinking I can finish it quick, screw everything up because I don't know the timing of any of my moves, then I'm back to normal and dead in half a second

I feel like 90% of people's deaths against bosses in these kinds of games is "he's almost dead, no need to be cautious anym... gently caress!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

I've managed to make time for Wednesday to finally purchase Nioh and play all evening. I'm so excited, all the public tests were so drat good.

It is a very good game and you will enjoy it despite its flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Desired weapon families for future DLC:

Unarmed (not sure what form this would take, but it'd have to feed into the loot game somehow to remain interesting)

Naginata (like the spear but no stabs, a lot of very powerful, wide swings like a mid-point between spears and axes)

Kanabo (spiked or studded blunt clubs, not sure how they'd differentiate themselves from hammers but they're visually appealing)

You could do gauntlets/knuckles/etc for unarmed, or magic rings or something.