Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is the boat boss optional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat level one and got the mysterious dlc
Is there one for level 2?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

The first few enemies of the town you can't skip,

you run up the hill back toward the last area and jump off onto the roof and down into the small yard with one guy in it. and from there you can get up to the roof and skip all but like 4 guys in the first half of the town

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Clever bastard! That's really cool.

roof yokai falls down hole in roof really easily too to skip that encounter

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

More that even with normal attacks you're still doing crazy flips with a giant anime axe and teleporting all over the place. Bushido Blade and Kengo are definitely way more on the realistic side than this.

swings sword 3 times, pants heavily - checks out as realistic for most goons

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Uncle Wemus posted:

Do they explain why a westerner named william is in old japan?

Google william adams japan

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the level 2 shortcut run is quite a gauntlet

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Davincie posted:

level 2 = run for the tree with mist you can knock down, run for the door next to spawn, run for the key, activate the save point right next to the boss. but my god, so much annoying stuff you have to dodge

oh poo poo. i didn't know about the trees that would make it a lot easier

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I really want to like this demo more but they need to really fix fighting multiple enemies at once and enemy health

I do not mind your character being a glass cannon if the enemies are too. It feels weird that every enemy is objectively stronger than you are.

mid stance axe for crowds. no problem

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

No for real, what's the deal with "all of my attacks oneshot you" the boss? I figured there would be some kind of trick or weak point to him, but I haven't been able to do much of anything because I die before I can understand what he's doing.

I heard if you shoot the face during the beam its mega damage

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm confused about level 2's second shrine. do i have to kill everything in that room to use it? i got there and there were a ton of huge dudes in there and the shrine was not interactive i guess because of their proximity?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In reflection on the demo lvl2 felt really weak and i hope it doesn't make it into the game unchanged.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Roof oni goes in roof hole. Not necessary to fight. Also the village enemies are mostly skippable if you hug the left wall and go on the roof by the well

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

I don't feel like it's possible to i-frame through his iron balls--it seems like their hitframes are active just long enough that you can't really iframe through them reliably without perfect timing. So I just take such a huge beating in the first phase that by the second phase I don't have any Elixirs left and I'm hosed if I get hit once.

Also I really hope they rework durability in the main game. I really don't want to have to go grind enemies with lovely weapons in the hopes that I can turn in their drops and hope I get some Whetstones because I keep dying to a boss. It's like Bloodborne's blood vials but worse.

Yeah, I don't think I'm completing this demo by May 5. I'd love to keep trying this boss but I need more than 3 Elixirs because I swear to gently caress there are unavoidable attacks in his ball-and-chain phase, and I'm out of Whetstones so the next time one of my two good weapons starts to break it's time to go grinding and I really hate that.

All durability mechanics in all action games should be abolished.

yeah breakage should require consumables to fix but durability should refill if not broken at shrines if they are going to keep the system

man this demo hosed up my dark souls skills so bad i'm throwing emotes instead of dodging and drinking instead of attacking.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

running laterally will make the balls miss every time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

Is there another DLC to get after Mark of the Conqueror, or is that it?

I can't decide if I want to run through the second mission right now or make a new guy and spec for spears. The spears seem really good. Are they actually as good as they seem?

nah just the one dlc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i ran out of ochoko right at nue on my current run and none of the revs are dropping them, i killed so many. can i get them as offering gifts?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

I haven't tried being a phantom much since I wasn't getting summoned earlier, but it sounds like if you help somebody as a phantom you'll get one. Which was how souls worked too.

Cant mid level though. You join from the level select.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

One thing that strikes me about the demo is that the Souls-style "level up your stats with Amrita" part feels kind of unnecessary.

You're probably placing your levels so that you specialize in one weapon type over the others. Body + Strength for spears, Heart + Skill for katanas, etc. Maybe splash some Strength or Skill for weapon or armor requirements. But you're also specializing by spending skill points in skill trees, and sometimes those give you new, active things you can do and sometimes they give you little passive boosts that are similar to what your stats do. I think the skill tree is the more interesting of the two, to the point that I'm not sure what the stat-by-stat leveling is really doing there. (Okay, I also get that leveling your stats gives you skill points and how many and what kind you get depends on what stat, but that also seems like it's the middleman when you could just buy skills directly with Amrita.)

Maybe in the full game, late-game equipment will have really high Strength and Skill requirements and the point is that you have to balance out meeting the requirements for equipment while having the stats to scale your chosen weapon type and enough Life and Ki? I dunno. I think I'd rather just have the skill trees and tie Life and Ki upgrades to skills.

there are too many redundant stats

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

I totally disagree. The first boss is not very difficult, has very straightforward visual cues as to what's happening, and his moves are not difficult to dodge once you know what they are. Nue is a gimmicky unintuive one-shot fest.

But I mean, that's my taste in soulsbosses too. It's not an objective judgement, just my preference in gameplay.

same. not a nue fan.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

I doubt there'll be an actual difficulty select, but probably a smoother difficulty curve.

Yeah the demo levels were rated for level 5 and 25 characters so they couldnt be back to back in the real game id think.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

guns

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nioh, kof, and deus ex
Aug 23rd is :krad:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Modest Mao posted:

Is this going to be up around midnight?

haha

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

heres the link so you guys can :f5: it until it comes up
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/nioh-beta-demo/cid=UP4108-CUSA05892_00-NIOHBETADEMO0000

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 23, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

get it now its up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KT should sue CDPR for geralt's likeness since nioh is has been in development for 17 years

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is there a way to know if the beta is recognizing mark of the conqueror? i got it in my psn purchase history but the game doesn't know about it as far as i can tell.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Relin posted:

they nerfed the drop rates to compensate for no durability loss right? It seems to encourage farming, and I haven't gotten a second good dual katana in a while. I don't like this change, they should have just made the repair stones easier to obtain

not having durability is a good thing. less items to inventory manage also very good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Learn an active ninja skill in the skills tab then go to a shrine. Rotate to the set ninja skills menu. Click on a skill to "memorise" a skill, each has a point requirement and you have a max amount of points based on your stats. Then assign the skill to a quick button, multiple copies of the same skill stack onto the same button.

i really hope they streamline everything for release. i don't like having to juggle the shrine menu and the character menu so much

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

summoning seems dead tonight. where are the pros looking to show off for me?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there's no password system yet huh?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in game or main menu only? can't find it in options in the level

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The spear spin is funny as hell when you get the hold button keep swinging skill

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Prime gets me the game at 7pm launch day

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Belzac posted:

I'd rather have the game I'm excited for on release day (not 7pm) than 100 dollars worth of future late games arriving late.

If you work on tuesdays its not an issue

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

king of fighters had preload (but it was ruined by an inexplicable 3pm est release) so if snk can swing one, KT totally can too if they care.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i love the jank as gently caress hotsprings that teleport your clothes away. games gonna rule

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when does the beta end? i tried to google it but all i got is beta announcements and articles about how amazon had a 10/28 release date on the game but took it down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blocking stops the 1st bosses ball and chain swings which feels really funny