Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Isukiri sounds like a cool dude, should worship him instead.

Well since every crucifix is actually Isukiri...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

On a scale from Zelda to Dark Souls. How direct is the plot on this?

Cutscenes that actually explain poo poo? Not that I dont enjoy the dark souls community plot puzzle. But reading what I did and why I did it months later is a trick that only dark souls can pull off(and only sometimes)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I was going to rent this, but the closer it gets I think I might just buy on day one, if only to encourage high effort Soulslike. I love the idea of SoulsBorne being a genre and not a series. With all the fun ideas in this I want From to be in an arms race to improve themselves.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Belzac posted:

As a fan of the Souls series since Demons, the "lore" aspect of the series is it's weakest aspect. It comes from a good place (Miyazaki trying to recreate the feeling he got reading fantasy novels in English as a child and not understanding a lot of the words) but has become obtuse and speculatory to the point that people can make a living just inventing stories based on the placement of items games that are rushed out the door at the last minute. The biggest miss from Demons for me was the part where the Monumental tells you what is happening and what you need to do.

I like to think about it like a community ARG with the only reward is to find out What the gently caress. I think its entertaining, but I have no idea what the patrion funded vaati's will do after these games are done.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Belzac posted:

Sure I can get behind that. What's going on with the Old One, the religions, what happened to various characters from the intro, etc are all obtuse in Demons but you still know what you're doing and why for most of the game.

And I guess the point that those things have answers in Demons while it feels like from Dark Souls on the answer is "whatever you want to believe".

Its also fun to have listened to the goon Soulsnerds "Bonfireside Chat" go from loving everything, to being down right dejected in Dark Souls 3 because it answered some long held beliefs of their in ways they didn't like.

So while you want more explicit info, they get the answer to Gwyn's firstborn and whine about how it "should have been left as a mystery". Lol From cant win at this point. The more From explains whats going on the more lorenerds learn they were wrong and get pissed off that From is destroying their childhood 5 year old game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is there an effortpost about build's, Im always worried about what I should be working towards in these games, or is it too early to know what the final game will have? I see the stats breakdown in the OP, but im interested in more get x and y to 20 then work on main weapon stat, type advice.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

People were dying a lot at the start because they kept trying to play it like Dark Souls and didn't know about the game's mechanics (which the alpha didn't explain terribly well).

This is were I fell off and Im going completely off goon word of mouth and hope that I will get the rhythm of this game too. My biggest concern now is when the Dark Souls 3 DLC comes out and I have to switch back to a different style.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Relin posted:

Sounds like someone relied on 100% block/high stability shields to get through all of the Souls games

it's me

So my glass cannon roll backwards and pyro build wont translate?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lakbay posted:

March 28

I knew it was march, but I guess that's a way longer time than I thought it was. Ill probably be Niohed out by then.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If Nioh is a success as it appears it will be, I hope it encourages more of this sort of open playtesting from studios and publishers. I enjoyed experiencing the game develop and grow over time and it served to make the "demo" element of it feel meaningful. I don't think every game should do this, but I think it's something more developers should consider doing.

Especially with anew IP with lots of ideas that they don't know while ones will resonate with fans. Its a giant playtest. I wonder how much it cost to put multiple times demos on the store.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Whats a Twilight Mission?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

Not sure how it'll work in the full game, but in the demo, when you finish one of the missions, you get access to a "twilight" version of it. Everything's darker, under a reddish sky, and all of the enemies and items are different (and harder/higher level). I don't know if you always get "twilight" versions of missions in the full game or if there's something special you do to unlock them.

Huh, that's cool, if they DO rotate, and you want an item from somewhere. You might have to wait until Tuesday for zone x to twilight to get that item. Could be real annoying or cool.

Like a twist on bonfire ascetic, or the end result of brainstorming from there.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Can someone explain how loot works? Are the set spots a good katana will be. Or is it full, random drops, new katana is 111-120 better swap to that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I bet the rotating Twilight Missions are to force you to farm different spots then. I wonder how the game will drop loot. It can suck in games to have a build but keep getting sweet weapons for another. Look at this amazing axe that dropped on my dual katana build!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Read the OP dude, those things aren't even concerns in this game. If you have a build you like and you keep getting sweet weapons for another, you can infuse the sweet weapons into your build weapon to have a sweet build weapon.

You op doesnt actually explain poo poo well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

Really, they should have Griffin McElroy review as many of the hard action games as he can, because sometimes it seems like he's the only one of the Polygon writers who actually enjoys that kind of game and doesn't just struggle through it either because it's their job to review the game or they know it's an "important" game and need to experience it. This isn't even a "lol Polygon are bad at games" thing, just that Griffin's the only one on staff who's shown any real excitement for the gameplay of challenging action games or action-RPGs.

That said, the McElroys are doing like seventeen podcasts each, multiple videos per week, and also a streaming TV show so I'm guessing we're going to see less and less of their writing at Polygon, which is a shame.

Well, in general, you shouldn't have people review a game that don't loving like the genre. Lets get the guy who reviews Madden ** and COD to review Civ 5

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Monolith. posted:

Devs said it would take 70 hours.

Devs say all sorts of things. What do reviews say? I don't want to read for fear of spoilers. Plus Im sure it waivers wildly with skill and how fast the game clicks with someone. You could spend 5 hours in the undead burg in DS1 the first time. But if you are a series vet you could clear it in a few tries. 70 hours of new and unique content sounds like a LOT, I hope its there!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Certain items give you free Onmyo and Ninjutsu points. Elemental stuff is useful because when two elements stick, enemies become staggered. Also smoke bombs and utility stuff like weakening enemies or boosting Ki regen is useful.

How does elemental work.

Can I get a poison sword? Or do I apply poison to my sword?

Does that poison have a chance to hit or build like dark Souls?

Would it be a good strategy to have 2 different elemental weapons and switch when one lands?

I read the OP.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Elements and status effects do have build up meters, yeah. You can see that on the enemy's health bar when you hit them. Fill up the meter and the effect procs. For status there's poison and paralysis (probably others but I forget), for elements there's fire (damage over time), water (reduced defenses), earth (increased Ki consumption), lightning (reduced movement speed), and wind (increases Ki damage taken). With the elemental effects if you proc two at the same time it applies a new effect which reduces their Ki to zero while active.

For the elements and statuses there are both items that cause them and items that apply them to weapons. Ninjutsu is about the status effects, Onmyo magic about the elements. There are also weapons that come with these attributes natively.

Just put this in every post, to be safe.

Thanks for answering...everything. Droping somethings ki to zero, means the are open for a crit correct, and they cant do anything. That seems fight endingly huge. Might be a cool build.

I assume bosses will be immune to element with exceptions.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Monolith. posted:

I haven't read any either. When i played the alpha, I think it took me 5 or 6 hours to finally get to the ship ogre. Beta took me only 2 as this game really clicks with me.

I trust that the game will at least be 30, maybe 40. Cutscenes, twilight missions, and general exploration should take a lot of time.

That said, Dark Souls each last me 100-200 based on NG+ and different build replays. Hope this hold my interest like they do.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

Making me wish I had a PS4 Pro a bit here. But the demo looked good enough for me on Action Mode on a regular PS4 so I'm happy.

Yeah, hitting the first wave of releases with significant pro differences. Especially if you don't own a 4k, 1080/60 (mostly) would be very nice.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 2, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

Is the theme you get for preordering already usable? Does it look cool if so?

I read the OP.

Yes, Yes.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Difficulty is weird. One notable fat gamesman, just said that it was harder then dark souls but not crazy hard like Ninja Gaiden 2. Dark souls is way harder then Ninja Gaidens ever were, which were tough and took a few runs at bosses, but didn't require me 5-10 hours of rewiring my gamebrain like dark souls did.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'm with JeffLebowski here. Dark Souls gave me some initial trouble for sure, but once you get past Taurus Demon and Capra and especially once you get past Blighttown, you know what you're doing and its pretty smooth sailing.

Ninja gaiden on the other hand, holy loving poo poo that's hard.

Ninja Gaiden on highest difficulty is like, playing dark souls at SL1.

Dark souls isn't even so much about patience as learning and being observant. Ninja Gaiden was 100% reflexes.

You could still learn Ninja Gaiden. I remember playing it and getting destroyed by the early horse boss and it killed over 30 times. I eventually got through the game. Coming back years later after playing 2 I aced the fight. I agree its more twitch skill and must be on your A game but you do get its rhythm just like you do a Dark Souls.

Granted, a mook in DS will hurt you and cost estus to gently caress you. A Mook in Ninja Gaiden will kill you in 1 combo. Nioh doesn't seem THAT bad.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Never seemed to be, at least at the level ranges in the demos. I could be level 40 and get summoned by players just starting out, with and without a password.

Hell yeah. Nioh Sherpa's

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Snak posted:

Just to triple check, the digital deluxe edition comes with the season pass?

I should probably just get it...

Yes. Theme Is bitchin too. And I don't care about themes.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I'm at that point in games I'm excited about where I want to read everything about it I can. And also avoid everything about it for spoilers. Gimme dammit.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Look at these losers. Can't even wait a day and have to check on their download.

*checks ps4.

Mine is just sitting on my dashboard. Triangle info says its 39 gigs. So I guess I'm good.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Genocyber posted:

So apparently this is the kind of thing you can expect in ng+ (boss spoilers).

http://i.imgur.com/IcBTbft.jpg

Holy poo poo I'm gonna coop the gently caress out a this.
Question. Because you can replay missions. You can play bosses again right? It was always a shame that ( besides the best one dark souls 2) you had to play through the whole d amn game if you wanted to fight a boss again .

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lakbay posted:

You can't coop this mission which is why we're saying it owns

Fine. Ill git gud. Or grind. Probably both.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Watching some reviews. It sounds like the Yokai Realm coop is NOT the regular levels. But explicitly different layouts. I can't tell if it was Twilight Realm or its own special coop map layouts.

Might affect people who wanted to coop the whole game.

Can anyone confirm? Was I thinking wrong the whole time? I was under the impression you can "coop the whole game"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Snak posted:

That might even be cooler if the levels are explicitly rebalanced for coop.

True. And I wasn't planning on cooling the whole thing. But I certainly was under a false impression of how it worked.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I'm a consumer whore. But I totally bought digital and spent the extra $12 to get it as soon as possible.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'm glad I'll be able to finish Yakuza 0 before tomorrow. I'm still disappointed we don't get nunchaku which would have owned big time but the hook-and-sickle weapon is just as cool.

I'm even more excited to actually use Ninpo/Ninja Omryo magic. Even though I finished the Last Chance demo I never figured out how to use my equipped magic stuff or what it all meant. From what I've read, even rudimentary magic skills are useful so this would have helped against the boss .

I have a strong feeling. Based on nothing. We will see new weapon classes in dlc.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

RatHat posted:

Because it's a 40gb download and PSN is slow as poo poo.

Good strategy. Don't get 40 gigs over 48 hours. Get the day one patch when you put your disk in.

Sure to save some time...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sounds like ign found the block button.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Welp. Snow day. Kids home. I'm home. And I'm staring at a timer at 8 hours 33 minutes. Couldn't come tomorrow snow?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Deified Data posted:

When does digital unlock tonight?

3 hours 51 minutes

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Learnin Derby posted:

Thanks to both of you.

The combat looked fast so I was playing Bloodborne for the last couple days to get used to doing things quickly after a week of Stardew Valley. Ate poo poo on the first enemy. :negative:

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ok. Game is certified good.

After literally not being able to beat the forst enemy in the alpha I jumped back in off only good hype.

Beat first level with 2 deaths total. Block and no pulse and win. Loving dual katana. The parry is great on mooks. The block poke into a combo->ki flux into low stance to shread them is amaaaaaazing.

Every weapon is amazing. This game loving rules.

Now I have to dumb work. Gonna try the kurisagama when I get home. Everything I read said it was amazing but more advanced. No problems jumping in with it?