Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Watched a few streams of this and it's looking good, but I'm worried it will end up being grindy or devolve into a bunch of crafting/inventory management later on. It also seems like bosses pretty much unconditionally one or two shot you, which I hope was just the players not upgrading health or being unprepared but being team ninja that is probably intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I didn't play the demos so I didn't get a feel for how nioh plays. It looks cool but I'm worried by discussions of how easily you can be instakilled (or nearly instakilled). I've beaten bloodborne and all the souls games so I can handle a tough difficulty baseline, but generally did not enjoy the parts of those games that demanded near-perfection, which bloodborne increasingly does in the chalice dungeons. How perfect did it feel like you had to be to complete all the content in the nioh demos?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can you use shrines to do shriney things like levelup during either mode?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress, guys, please just read the OP. We keep answering the same "wait there's more than 1 multiplayer mode" question over and over and over.

You can level up during dark souls mode at shrines.

You cannot level up during ninja gaiden mode. You can only level up between levels in that mode. You have to beat an entire level in one go. If you fail, you only get 25% of the souls, and you do not leave a bloodstain.

Thanks.

Not everything I wanted to know and the exact info you just gave was not in the OP. Also this is a message board. people are going to ask questions, especially if the obligatory something awful gamefaqs walkthrough in the OP doesn't say exactly what they wanted to know.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is the theme you get for preordering already usable? Does it look cool if so?

I read the OP.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 3, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRA-lpku3SQ

Looks good. reviews are good. I'll probably bite the bullet

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want to avoid further info when the game comes out. Were all the mechanics that were important in the demos explained by the game/easily discoverable by just playing normally? I don't really want to read any more about the game (I consider some pretty abstract sorts of things to be spoilers) but I do want to know about anything dumb like adaptability in dark souls 2, if people already found something like that the demos.

This just seems like the kind of game that might obfuscate some important stuff for no reason, although I'm not sure why it feels that way

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Just like the Souls games, Nioh has the thing where you hit the "help" button (it tells you at the bottom which button it is) to explain exactly what something means. "ki recovery (critical)"? You can just ask the game and it'll tell you. Nobody who streamed the game used this, including the ones who claimed to be Dark Souls players. But it's been a thing since Demons.

I used these in dark souls, but they were largely poo poo that didn't provide any new information and certainly didn't clearly inform new players of really critical things like encumbrance changing your roll at certain breakpoints, stability making blocking use less stamina, and adaptability increasing roll invincibility frames (possibly the most egregious example in that series). In cases where they did, it was largely with really brief and vague language that could be interpreted many different ways.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got really sick this weekend and there's no way I can go to work tomorrow, or probably tuesday either.

What a shame.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What things does the spear's and dual swords' parry work against? It doesn't seem to work on demons even though they're using weapons like people.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I'd be super ok with this game toning down the loot by like 80% jfc

Yeah I have had a really positive experience with the game so far but there is a lot of menuing strapped to the thing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Seems like if someone summons you and does not have their spirit animal because they died, when you get close to them for the first time, your spirit animal flies into them and they get its bonuses until they can recover their amrita. Pretty cool feature if that's how it works.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snak posted:

As in, you both have a spirit guardian then?

Yes, their icon goes from empty to whatever yours is. Not sure if they also get bonuses they would not normally be able to have if they have low spirit but you have high spirit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ghost cat buddy... :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

I take back all complaints about the vampire woman. This loving ice mage in Falling Snow can charge and use her grab attack while I'm reeling from any of her other attacks, then charge and use the grab attack on me before I regain control of my character.

The difficulty of these bosses is all over the place. Spider lady got her arse kicked across the castle by comparison.

I've played up through the story mission after this one and have definitely noticed a similar problem with grabs in this game, because apparently grab attacks being unbelievable bullshit is a staple of this genre now. The worst offender I've found so far is the second boss instantly snapping from being stunned on the ground to the middle of her grab animation. What the gently caress?

poptart_fairy posted:

She keeps using the icicles in melee and they track in perfect sync with me as I dodge around her.

Implausible tracking on ranged attacks is another issue I'm noticing. You can see it with onryokoi's ball throw and great centipede's spit attack, where the projectile will come out at a literally 90 degree angle if that's where you are at the time. Sloth talismans make it really noticeable (seriously though, get sloth talismans). For some reason this issue is not there on most enemy melee attacks, which seem to track very little.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What exactly does magic power affect? Will it make extraction talismans produce amrita faster, sloth talismans slow more, etc? Or is it just for the buildup status effects?

e: I noticed that some spear stances used more stamina to dodge than some dual sword stances, so it's possible blocking values are different between weapons. but in general I feel like blocking absolutely loving ruins my stamina bar more often than not, even in mid stance, which is apparently better at blocking in some way.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The description on the sacred candle made me think it was something you were supposed to use near a bunch of player graves, but it's actually basically a ghost merge shard from lords of the fallen. Very convenient if you die in a boss room and decide you want a different spirit animal for the fight, but don't want to lose the amrita from your grave (I assume you lose it if you recall your spirit animal at a shrine).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just did level 9, the ninja mansion and there was a kodama I could not figure out how to get to shortly before the boss. I could see skid marks on the floor from a secret door that would exit out of the room it was in, but I couldn't find any way to get in there on the second half of the level.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

Been a while but there's a second trapdoor that's not near the Yoki, could be there?

That one's in the first half of the building and yeah I found that one.

I did have a glitch where after the big room flipped upside down, I left and killed stuff and then went back after figuring out what to do with the elevator. But all the objects like the ladders and item corpses were displaced vertically--nothing was where it was supposed to be and things were floating in the air, so I couldn't climb the ladders or get items. I used the item that teleports you back to a shrine to force a loading screen and it fixed it. But I wonder if it's related to how you get there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I got this for my birthday! Going to co-op the whole thing; any basic tips while I'm skim the thread?

You're not going to be able to do this, unless you just mean call in someone for every level. You can't be a cooperator on any level you haven't beaten yet.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Low stance always uses quick dashes which use low stamina, except when the game randomly makes you do this spinny thing that takes three times as long for some reason. Mid stance does a dash and then a roll which uses a lot more stamina, and high stance always rolls.

I can't actually tell if invincibility frames are even a thing in this game. Sometimes you can dodge through things and sometimes you can't. I can't figure out poo poo in this game and it doesn't explain anything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I liked it in far cry 2 and absolutely nothing else

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Durability worked well in DS2 I felt. Added to the "bonfire to bonfire" encounter design.

I actually agree once the durability bug was fixed, but most of my time with the game was while it was still around, so I don't really have fond memories of the system. I'm glad they were so attentive to feedback in the nioh betas that they were willing to get rid of durability (and even went the extra mile to add in the opposite system).

CJacobs posted:

It's hard to get more entertaining than your gun literally exploding in your hand, to be fair.

The extra fun part was the bullet that blew up your gun would be exactly as accurate as the rest. Once after a long and grueling fight I was on my last legs and about to die, but somehow blasted the last enemy remaining with a laser-accurate shot from my sniper rifle which then exploded in half

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

use the ronin hat with youngblood armor.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The greatsword is a DLC weapon right? It just starts dropping like any other weapon if you own it?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Do kunai and shuriken actually do that much damage? Or did you just use a bunch of shinobi boxes to get a huge number of them?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The description of the hino enma definitely makes it sound like just some generic demon that happens to be powerful enough to be a boss, but is not a unique thing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Monolith. posted:

Has anyone noticed that Nioh now makes a Pro sound like a jet turbine? This is the digital copy, not disc.

It happens on my normal PS4 anytime I'm in certain menus at the blacksmith, because the slightly zoomed-in camera on those menus is three times as computationally expensive or something

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snak posted:

It's probably that framerate isn't capped and it's trying to render tome at like 100fps.

It's actually the opposite. Even if you're using the 60 FPS mode, it switches to the high res 30 FPS mode in those menus, and seems to stay at 30 FPS whether you're in the zoomed in turbo fan menus or not, so I don't know what gives

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I bet you could get some sick magic skill points if you put some points in magic, then cut off william's ponytail and ate it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Belzac posted:

Maybe try getting good rather than asking for balance.

Was this post a poor attempt at trolling or did you write this sentence in actual seriousness

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

everyone should play at least one mission as that guy with the weird-rear end metal ski toboggan hat

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snak posted:

But because you can refashion gear for a trivial cost, you should still always pick the best gear for your build.

Can every game please let you do this from now on

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snak posted:

I actually don't like it. I think that gimmick/fashion outfits are a cool type of gimmick run that doesn't exist in a game with refashioning.

I mean, it's pros and cons. Ultimately, I think it depends on the game.

I Do Not Agree

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

People are gonna hack the hell out of the clan battle feature and make impossible revenants.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Did they ever change coop so you don't have to complete a level before you can help someone in the level?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

At the risk of outting myself as a lazy crybaby, it’s just that you have to open two doors to get back to the frog, unlike every other boss run up to that point which is just sprinting back to their room, so while it’s probably only a minute, it feels like forever, and over the course of 15-20 attempts, that’s half an hour of running back to a door, opening it, running to another door opening and dying.

I’m not worried I’m just gonna start a fresh save file on PC and make a super OP build and one-shot every boss.

It's a fair complaint, I liked this level but as soon as I got to the boss run it dragged it way tf down. There is no goddamn reason not to just drop you outside the boss door.

Not sure whether I want to double dip on this or not. I'm probably just gonna run into the same issues again

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There is a co-op summoning mode that works like like dark souls and there's also a mode where you start and complete an entire mission with the same person. You can use shrines (think bonfires) and you can revive each other a certain number of times, unlike the dark souls-style mode where you're out after one death.

There is instanced loot for the helper in both modes so it is just as beneficial for the helper.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

As someone who put hundreds of hours in every game in the souls series and similar games (bloodborne and lords of the fallen) I found nioh baffling and harder to enjoy as I progressed. It has an enormous amount of complexity, 5% of which it will actually explain to you, and is an extremely technical game where you won't have any idea how to improve without understanding that complexity. It's not bad but it is obtuse as hell, even compared to dark souls.

So if you haven't played any similar games before, starting with nioh seems like a bad move when dark souls 1 goes on sale for $5 on steam pretty regularly. I've been meaning to give nioh another chance and see if anyone has spelled out all the nonstop crap that made no sense to me, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

144hz monitors are a thing. If the game lets you cap it at whatever you want then you could just set it to 144 though and problem solved. A cap doesn't matter at all if it's equal to your refresh rate. In fact I think that's better than leaving it uncapped because I've had games with uncapped frame rates render menus at a thousand frames per second just because they could, and it makes me uncomfortable to hear my GPU fan speed up to 80% because it's power rendering the gently caress out of a menu.

I'm reminded of a newegg review for a GPU I read when I was looking at new computer parts that was complaining about only getting counter strike frame rates in the 200s when its specs should totally be getting FPS counts in the 500s. like motherfucker you physically cannot see anything over your monitor's refresh rate and why else would you care unless you're somehow trying to use counter strike as a benchmark :psyboom: