Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

I don't care. There is literally no reason for Souls-esque games to do anything but provide full top-ups of your disposable resources between deaths.

It's worth using the elixir kodama bonus if you're not already. Pretty much every one or two enemies will drop an elixir if you've got the max bonus for it in a region (I used it pretty much the whole game and had 300+ elixirs in storage by the time I finished my first run)

Also I don't remember if it's available at that point but somewhere on the ninja skill tree there's a passive skill to increase how many elixirs you can carry (The max is 11 I think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh I know all that, it's just another irritation on top of this lovely boss.

Game has me by the balls and I love it to pieces, but man, when the difficulty jumps up it feels like it's done so for all the wrong reasons.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

yuki-onna is a lot more dangerous from a distance than she is if you getin her grill. her actual regular combos have a big wind up and the ice explosion has a large tell and is really easy to get damage in on when she finishes it.

also try dodging the first few icicles and then blocks the ones, even dodging while holding down guard if you have too

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
She keeps using the icicles in melee and they track in perfect sync with me as I dodge around her. That's the problem I'm having - her supposedly ranged attacks are coming out in quick succession regardless of the range I'm at.

As I said I'm just gonna sleep on this and come back to it tomorrow. She's souring me on the game right now.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just slap the elixir kodama blessing on in each new area as soon as you get it (and remember to do it for every region) and you'll never, ever run out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What build are you using? Because if you're an onmyoji, Sloth talismans turn her naginata-throw into a huuuge opening.

cozyduck
Feb 16, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

So uh, I was at the lillies where the sam eagle guy shows up in the optional temple where the kodama is in the back except this was twilight mode. I saw a revenant that was level 1

Is someone doing a SL1 run :stare:

Not only have plenty of people done it, some are even doing a bit more then that (like me):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlbeZQdyo-dp4boCadmodambFAUIFhrL1

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a way to spend skill points without joining a mission, and if not, what mission do you guys use when you just want to futz with inventory / skill point poo poo.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

just hit the inventory button while on the world map?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

I take back all complaints about the vampire woman. This loving ice mage in Falling Snow can charge and use her grab attack while I'm reeling from any of her other attacks, then charge and use the grab attack on me before I regain control of my character.

The difficulty of these bosses is all over the place. Spider lady got her arse kicked across the castle by comparison.

I've played up through the story mission after this one and have definitely noticed a similar problem with grabs in this game, because apparently grab attacks being unbelievable bullshit is a staple of this genre now. The worst offender I've found so far is the second boss instantly snapping from being stunned on the ground to the middle of her grab animation. What the gently caress?

poptart_fairy posted:

She keeps using the icicles in melee and they track in perfect sync with me as I dodge around her.

Implausible tracking on ranged attacks is another issue I'm noticing. You can see it with onryokoi's ball throw and great centipede's spit attack, where the projectile will come out at a literally 90 degree angle if that's where you are at the time. Sloth talismans make it really noticeable (seriously though, get sloth talismans). For some reason this issue is not there on most enemy melee attacks, which seem to track very little.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

cozyduck posted:

Not only have plenty of people done it, some are even doing a bit more then that (like me):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlbeZQdyo-dp4boCadmodambFAUIFhrL1

Yeah that uh...that's a thing. :stonk:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is fighting unarmed practical at all? I think I remember there being some skills for it in the ninja skill tree but I never tried it out

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

with stone fist it is legit a good way to fight early bosses, but it gets noticeably worse later on

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
My latest round of Path of the Strong Crusher titles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewgMWbSSiAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyME-GekYTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed73WEpdr7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80pSf0sgBIk

Plus my (eventual) successful run through the hell that is POTS 'A Greater Harmony':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaMxIwhXvZo

I'm aware that I've been posting a bunch of these. Anyone finding them useful? Fun?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

poptart_fairy posted:

Tachibana was optional at least, ugh.

I'm just pissed because it doesn't feel like I'm making mistakes. I can't block those loving icicles without getting staggered, and she spams so many of them that I run out of stamina dodging the first few barrages - and this is with light armour on. Of course with light armour if I get hit once my character flails like a moron, and it leaves me wide open for her follow-up. I hate hate hate hate hate bosses like this.

Maybe sleeping on it and coming back to her will help, but loving hell.

I just fought her in light armor this weekend and had no problem just mindlessly hitting block when she did icicles. The grab was a pain to notice and the scythe throw hosed me up a few times but the icicles never did anything, so I'm confused. Are you using mid stance? Maybe that helps. I think I had like 115ish ki which could possibly have made a difference.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm aware that I've been posting a bunch of these. Anyone finding them useful? Fun?

You inspired me to turn my build into a Weeaboo Wizard. I'm enjoying/getting tips from your videos, so yes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone have an inheritable Change to Attack (Magic) Weapon they can spare?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Since we are talking about Yuki Onnna:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CAyAxZWf3KU#t=31m10s

If you just want to beat the bosses there's more than enough cheese for that

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I just fought her in light armor this weekend and had no problem just mindlessly hitting block when she did icicles. The grab was a pain to notice and the scythe throw hosed me up a few times but the icicles never did anything, so I'm confused. Are you using mid stance? Maybe that helps. I think I had like 115ish ki which could possibly have made a difference.

Mid stance yeah, and three icicles staggers me - not very helpful when she spams five of them three times in a row. :v:

I dunno. I have a book of reincarnation on me, so later I'm going to take a look at my build and add some actual magic. Think I've fallen into the trap of GLORIOUS NIPPON STEEL without much regard for the spells; arcane stuff in the likes of Dark Souls was very boring and little more than fancy ranged attacks, so I'm probably looking at this game all wrong again.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Mid stance yeah, and three icicles staggers me - not very helpful when she spams five of them three times in a row. :v:

I dunno. I have a book of reincarnation on me, so later I'm going to take a look at my build and add some actual magic. Think I've fallen into the trap of GLORIOUS NIPPON STEEL without much regard for the spells; arcane stuff in the likes of Dark Souls was very boring and little more than fancy ranged attacks, so I'm probably looking at this game all wrong again.

Not sure what's going on there, it's possible my spirit(kato with all the powers) or equipment or something helped me go through, but I still had stamina even after blocking all five of them. I was using dual swords, not sure it makes a difference in blocking. Maybe move armor around and see if you can get 100 toughness while still being under 30%? No clue if that's a real breakpoint or not but it's my only idea.

I'm mostly curious because it would have been a very different fight if I had to consistently dodge those.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 14, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What exactly does magic power affect? Will it make extraction talismans produce amrita faster, sloth talismans slow more, etc? Or is it just for the buildup status effects?

e: I noticed that some spear stances used more stamina to dodge than some dual sword stances, so it's possible blocking values are different between weapons. but in general I feel like blocking absolutely loving ruins my stamina bar more often than not, even in mid stance, which is apparently better at blocking in some way.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

poptart_fairy posted:

In all honesty much like DS you probably shouldnt try being jack of all trades

I put enough points into magic just to get the heal spells and that has saved me a ton of elixirs. Other than that I haven't bothered with it.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Digirat posted:

I've played up through the story mission after this one and have definitely noticed a similar problem with grabs in this game, because apparently grab attacks being unbelievable bullshit is a staple of this genre now. The worst offender I've found so far is the second boss instantly snapping from being stunned on the ground to the middle of her grab animation. What the gently caress?
That's her wake-up attack, it's there to stop you over-committing when she's on the ground.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sekigarah is bullshit. I am done with this cuntass loving level

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

poptart_fairy posted:

Putting 30 points in both Ninjutsu and Onmyo carries you through the whole game.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Digirat posted:

What exactly does magic power affect? Will it make extraction talismans produce amrita faster, sloth talismans slow more, etc? Or is it just for the buildup status effects?
Mainly it effects duration / power of effects when it's self buffs. For example the regen talisman will last for longer, and heal more with each tick. It tends to make status affects last longer, and a slight boost in the damage ( we're talking like 10-20 points for every few points of power, without any % boosts from somewhere ) they do.

Also, I think I found someone who abused the teahouse glitch a little before they fixed it. :psyduck:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm trying to become a visitor on sekigahara but I haven't gotten a single hit. I've never had this happen. Is he network down

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

As someone already said, that instagrab is bat lady's wakeup move, so the hard counter is to not stand next to her when she wakes up :v:

As for Elise, her rushing stab grapple was eating my lunch at first until the Discord thread told me that its tell includes her flipping her halberd 3 times, THEN she yells and does the dash. Once you learn to connect the weapon flips with the grab it gets, well, still not easy to dodge, but certainly a lot more fair-feeling than before.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WaltherFeng posted:

Putting 30 points in both Ninjutsu and Onmyo carries you through the whole game.

How?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Stuff like quick change, power pills, supra/catwalking, sloth, weakness, carnage, extraction/pleiades are all insanely good and that's not even counting the passive bonuses you can get.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Man William has a turbo jaw

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I put enough points into magic just to get the heal spells and that has saved me a ton of elixirs. Other than that I haven't bothered with it.

Nioh isn't like Dark Souls at all in that respect. Even if you put almost all your points into Onmyo, you can still use every weapon and be effective with it. You actually don't lose much damage by spreading out your stats, so don't be afraid to level different stats.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I have just enough onmyo points to put into my meager magic level. At this point level 11. Is using offensive magics like fire balls the only way to gain more onmyo points? I've been using heals all the time but it never seems to give me points

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Actions don't get you points. You can either level up the magic stat which will get you onmyo points, or you can find locks of hair that are consumable items that give you points.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Eat all the hair.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kurodas determination: hey you like Sam eagles?

How about two

And if you die you have to fight the three stooges before them again and again

Hope you like he feeling if pine cones in your rear end in a top hat

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Can any ninja class people comment on the usefulness of caltrops? They seem like such a specific situation. Wondering if they could work on bosses

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Can any ninja class people comment on the usefulness of caltrops? They seem like such a specific situation. Wondering if they could work on bosses
I only used them in the "way of the ninja: adept" duel where you start with them but they were pretty great. A cluster of things on the ground that interrupt the enemy and let you get a combo in is quite nice when you're fighting a quick dude with lots of ranged attacks.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
YES. Sleeping on it work, I killed her. :dance:

She didn't do her icicle spam this time - used a lot of melee and ice breath abilities, with the icicles only coming out if I dodged too far, so I wasn't constantly out of stamina. Christ knows what changed but I'm happy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

This is the opposite of true. You can get a huge amount of utility by getting a little bit of magic and a little bit of ninjutsu. Some of everything is very useful in Nioh, while hyper specialization gives less impressive returns.